Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I was in awful for yesterday. Didn't leave my house except in the evening because I had to do something. Made me feel worse, if I'm honest. My usual go-to comfort food of chocolate made me feel worse too.

Think I need to focus on being active every day. Either with tasks or exercise or both. I've tried everything the doctors have recommended except eating well and exercising (in any continuous way). That is my downfall, I think. Resolving to try harder! Got up and cleaned the house this morning. Cleaning always makes me feel better when I can get motivated to do it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think if you want counselling, a counsellor is your only man/woman. My guy cost 50 euros an hour and that's not far off a GP. And you get an hour of professional help, not 10 minutes of a bum's rush :)

Look around and call around (ie: shop around) I'm sure you can find similar rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I've posted in here before a while back regarding my own personal problems, and this thread I will always respect. AKA zenno.

I would like to post this song and video to cheer a few folks up, as it always cheered me up in times of default. Best wishes folks and have a nice relaxing christmas no matter where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

This thread was one of the very first instances where I felt I was not alone with my Mental health struggles. I am pretty sure it has helped me and others stand up and speak about mental health.

About a year back I said down in the local pub I was dealing with mental health Issues, I got a tap on my shoulder from one of the lads sort of a gesture to quiten down and the girl behind the bar laughed awkardly, well not a **** was given me. What a release!

I would say that is one of many little examples of people on this thread acting out that has helped this Island on its way towards having one of the most healthy debates on Mental health in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ShivaDark

I find this time of year difficult as it brings back lots of bad memories of my childhood and how I feared tomorrow's day of family gathering.

The only thing that it ever had going for it was my gran's company and her sneaking trifle into me when I was punished for my brother's bad temper.

I don't participate in this holiday or any holiday whatsoever anymore but I hope you all have a relaxing and enjoyable day tomorrow. Good luck and I hope you are all well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

ShivaDark wrote: »
    I find this time of year difficult as it brings back lots of bad memories of my childhood and how I feared tomorrow's day of family gathering.

The only thing that it ever had going for it was my gran's company and her sneaking trifle into me when I was punished for my brother's bad temper.

I don't participate in this holiday or any holiday whatsoever anymore but I hope you all have a relaxing and enjoyable day tomorrow. Good luck and I hope you are all well.

I like to work during it,

but I find when you change your connections, like being with a trusted friend or partner, the holidays become much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ShivaDark

That's true, my partner is a great support. Tomorrow will pass like the holiday doesn't exist thanks to him. No offence intended to the religious within this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I think that as hard as it is being around my family, it is worse at Christmas. So after this, I'm pretty sure that I won't be here again for another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I think that as hard as it is being around my family, it is worse at Christmas. So after this, I'm pretty sure that I won't be here again for another one.

It sounds like its not at all going well for you, Sorry to hear that, its not nice when christmas is going... well worse. I hope it improves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

voz es wrote: »
    It sounds like its not at all going well for you, Sorry to hear that, its not nice when christmas is going... well worse. I hope it improves!

Thanks but it won't. I really wish I could just cut them out completely.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

These people do great work during the holidays. http://www.depressionhurtsireland.com
    and particularly their hashtag #depressionhurts on twitter. Staffed by fellow sufferers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ShivaDark wrote: »

I used to feel like this, I would particularly dread Christmas day for numerous reasons.

But I am loving this Christmas and to be honest a lot of it is down to CBT training. The key thing isn't just going to CBT, but also trying to actively and consciously use it in my life to help me improve my habits. .

One of those bad habits was expecting certain things to be upsetting, annoying or depressing (like Christmas). I find that as such I was dreading Christmas and ended up ruining it for myself irrespective of whether or not it ended up being as depressing as I imagined. .

In essence, I believe its really being a slave to my thoughts, which still happens. One of the lessons I learned (that I cant always practise mind you) is to not build up/down things based on previous years experiences. I also learned to try to focus on the positives of a particular event/thing instead of honing in on the negatives all the time. I still do have this habit from time to time, but I used to always be able to let 1 negative thing drag down things that may have many many more positives to look forward to....

One major thing I have done is taken alcohol completely out of my diet. This has helped a lot, on a basic level is a depressant and it doesn't help my moods when I am already feeling down. Its actually interesting watching people get drunk or tipsey and its nice to not suffer hangovers. I also like being able to drive home from events whenever I like.

Speaking from experience, this time of year does not have to be the same as it is every year for most people. I know some people who relate it to deaths in their family or other serious things that used to make them dread Christmas. I wont be sharing why I used to dread Christmas but lets just say it was an extremely traumatic event that was to do with life and death that happened on St Stephens day a long time ago. I have learned to actually look forward to Christmas which a couple of years ago I would not of dreamt of doing.

I genuinely believe if my thinking on Christmas can change, then anybodys can. The problem in my case was my thinking and I have learned to think differently . . If any of you are looking for some light for the new year I am telling you that there are ways to improve your perspective on life and improve your quality of life. The hardest part is letting go of your old thoughts/habits/beliefs and letting in knew ones. It takes practise and guidance because its not nearly as simple as it sounds . We all know what we know and many of us think we know what we don't know. This was a big stumbling block for me. Allowing my negative, depressed thoughts/brain to convince myself that a depressed life was as good as it gets and that I was somehow special in that nothing could ever make me feel better. I was wrong and I am so glad I worked hard to make CBT work . .

Happy Christmas to everybody and a Happy new Year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Could ye please reply to this asap. There is someone who i used to think was my friend, who literally ****ed off when i needed her the most in town tonight for st stephans day. All this pressure and hassle that i have had over the last 2 years has been because of her. I was so depressed and angry and frustrated at the time and i went to her for help and she ran away as fast as she could. I am tempted to go into town later on find her and let her know that. I hope by doing this i will find some peace. Is this a good idea?
    I suffer in silence every day. She dosent care that she could have made all the difference by just being there.

I think no, if you wish to talk to them it needs to be one to one and not out in an uncontrolled environment, sit back and breath, please.. Right now it sounds like more harm than good will be done..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Could ye please reply to this asap. There is someone who i used to think was my friend, who literally ****ed off when i needed her the most in town tonight for st stephans day. All this pressure and hassle that i have had over the last 2 years has been because of her. I was so depressed and angry and frustrated at the time and i went to her for help and she ran away as fast as she could. I am tempted to go into town later on find her and let her know that. I hope by doing this i will find some peace. Is this a good idea?
    I suffer in silence every day. She dosent care that she could have made all the difference by just being there.

i think that should be done in private. go public and you could end up regretting it

Everyday i live in regret man. Im stuck at home, no job and no friends. Friget, She could have prevented it she could have done something. If she had been there I would be a different person now. But now my brother is dragging me out to gert hammered and now i have no choice. Ill just give her a death stare or something, il ignore her completly that will be my revenge. I hate her and all her friends.

living well is the sweetest revenge.

today is the first day of the rest of your life. why not try to improve yourself and then when you are flying in next christmas or two christmases down the line, the person in question will see how well you are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Agree with posts so far. It is a lot of pressure to put on someone saying they are the only person who could have made you feel better at the time. Maybe they couldn't deal with the pressure of
    Relieving your pressure?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I had a grand Christmas, not perfect by any means but I'm spending Christmas with my sister in Holland. I'm taking things one day at a time and like Drumpot, alcohol is completely out of the equation this year and I feel much better for it. There is sadness as this is the first Christmas without my dear father.

A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!:)

I'm sorry to say it but if there is anyone who can make any of us feel terrific or terrible about ourselves then we are living at the mercy of third parties.

The purpose of counselling is ultimately to help you become at peace with yourself and to skill you up in counselling yourself when you are not. If you give that power to other people, its out of your hands. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Hey guys,

Anyone here on lexapro?? Iv been on it 3mnts (10mg) find it very good, however my dreams are just f*ked up....like really really random with random people in it! l wake up feeling ****ty, l know its not a big problem, would just like to hear if anyone has been through the same experience....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

My dreams have been really strange and very detailed since my lexapro dosage got increased.

• Advertisement

I think it's a general side effect of many antidepressants. Perhaps consult your doctor about changing the time of day it's taken at or dosage to see if that helps.

I think you just get used to it, though. I'm npnow at the stage where the vivid and weird dreams only disturb me if I'm stressed. Then they're so vivid and involved I wake up really tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I think it's a general side effect of many antidepressants. Perhaps consult your doctor about changing the time of day it's taken at or dosage to see if that helps.

I think you just get used to it, though. I'm npnow at the stage where the vivid and weird dreams only disturb me if I'm stressed. Then they're so vivid and involved I wake up really tired.

does it really matter what time in the day you take them?? sometimes l take them 1st thing, other times could be 6 or 7pm cause ld forget...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

yes, lexapro and ssri's in general are known to cause strange.dreams. it's a very common side effect
    if you can't put up with the dreams talk to your doctor

does it really matter what time in the day you take them?? sometimes l take them 1st thing, other times could be 6 or 7pm cause ld forget...
    It'll affect some people differently than others. Some people can't sleep for a while after taking, some can't stay awake so it's a matter of getting into a routine that suits the individual.

As far as I'm aware, you are supposed to take them around the same time everyday. This has to do with the half-life of the drug and how quickly it is used up in your system.

As another poster said, some people have fewer side effects if they take them at night, some people if they take them in the morning. It's trial and error with that part (and talking to your doctor).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Yes it can do very much. When I was taking lexapro they were only adding to the drowsiness and lethargy during the day so I took them at night to avoid that, but not right before sleep either, like a couple hours before sleep. In any case it's always best to take meds the same time every day. I gave them up later mostly because they killed all sexual pleasure. Meds have their place but they're not the be all and end all and certainly are not a standalone solution. In any case I much prefer not to be on them at all now.

With the dreaming stuff I find that I don't dream at all anymore, infrequently anyway, at least that's what it feels like, no dream recall at least. So much so that I had a dream one night and woke up like omg I had a dream, I had made friends with a polar bear :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Hey guys,

Anyone here on lexapro?? Iv been on it 3mnts (10mg) find it very good, however my dreams are just f*ked up....like really really random with random people in it! l wake up feeling ****ty, l know its not a big problem, would just like to hear if anyone has been through the same experience....

Been on 10mg for about a week and my dreams are definitely more vivid since then. Haven't had any distressing ones or anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I want to forward this to you all.

Just relax and meditate now or later while comfortable and listen to this music and HUM to the music and meld into it, as loud as you like. Try and mellow into it for a while and relax.

Blend into the music and feel part of it, let yourself 'go' and just Hum it to your desire, you will feel it and also feel refreshed after it.

Peace... Om Mani Padme Hum.

Ek Ong Kar

Had to go looking for this thread again. Feeling increasingly helpless to deal with the realities of life right now. I felt so shít about myself for underachieving academically and being stuck at home in a rural aea with no pospects of employment. Now I have a job, am living in Dublin.....and it's such a massive anti-climax. It appears that the whole point of life from hereon in is to spend 95% of your time working in order to be able to afford the fleeting 5% of times where you'e actually alive and enjoying yourself. If that's all there is to life than what's the fúcking point? Even things like good music and good books don't comfort me anymore because it all comes with the reminder that "this work of art was created by someone/people who have talents that you will NEVER have". I can't write, sing, play instruments, paint....and I'm far too stupid to ever be able to carve out a scientific career. I'll never win a Nobel Prize or a Grammy or an Oscar or an Olympic Gold.....so what's the fúcking point of being alive if the maximum I can aim for is the basic level of adequacy?

I mean sure, most people will never win or achieve those things......but I don't look down on any of them because I can most likely see other positive qualities in them that don't exist in me. Everyone reading this post probably has some positive attribute that I don't....so the logical conclusion would be that I too have qualities but I can't see them whatever they are. And thus I go through life feeling completely fúcking inadequate and inferior. :(

What net benefit do I have to the world? Absolutely fúck all. As much as I'd love to pretend that my continued presence in this world is down to compassion for my loved ones and not wanting to hurt them, the reality is that I'm never in danger of killing myself because I'm so fúcking incompetent that even if I tried I'd fail miserably. So I just continue existing, being envious of everyone around me and feeling completely powerless to change myself for the better.

I've no idea how coherent any of that was, apologies for time wasting.

• Advertisement

Had to go looking for this thread again. Feeling increasingly helpless to deal with the realities of life right now. I felt so shít about myself for underachieving academically and being stuck at home in a rural aea with no pospects of employment. Now I have a job, am living in Dublin.....and it's such a massive anti-climax. It appears that the whole point of life from hereon in is to spend 95% of your time working in order to be able to afford the fleeting 5% of times where you'e actually alive and enjoying yourself. If that's all there is to life than what's the fúcking point? Even things like good music and good books don't comfort me anymore because it all comes with the reminder that "this work of art was created by someone/people who have talents that you will NEVER have". I can't write, sing, play instruments, paint....and I'm far too stupid to ever be able to carve out a scientific career. I'll never win a Nobel Prize or a Grammy or an Oscar or an Olympic Gold.....so what's the fúcking point of being alive if the maximum I can aim for is the basic level of adequacy?

I am in similar bind. I was doing a professional job and gave it up. I remember i used come home thinking to myself "i am working so i will have money and a good image." it was a shallow existence. Now i couldnt hack the stress as well, but i always had this nagging feeling that there was more to life.

This is the same for everyone. the best we can hope for is marriage and work and retirement. Freud said man is repressed for this reason. Between what conformity demands of him and what he wants to achieve are two different things

I mean sure, most people will never win or achieve those things......but I don't look down on any of them because I can most likely see other positive qualities in them that don't exist in me. Everyone reading this post probably has some positive attribute that I don't....so the logical conclusion would be that I too have qualities but I can't see them whatever they are. And thus I go through life feeling completely fúcking inadequate and inferior. :(

we all have strengths and weaknesses. Its just a matter of finding your limitations as a man. what you can and cannot do. But like i say when we die we will all be forgotten. So the best is you may as well find what you enjoy and do it within the threshold of the law
    What net benefit do I have to the world? Absolutely fúck all. As much as I'd love to pretend that my continued presence in this world is down to compassion for my loved ones and not wanting to hurt them, the reality is that I'm never in danger of killing myself because I'm so fúcking incompetent that even if I tried I'd fail miserably. So I just continue existing, being envious of everyone around me and feeling completely powerless to change myself for the better.

I've no idea how coherent any of that was, apologies for time wasting.

Again i would have been in the same boat. Berating myself for my failures. But i have since found my calling and that is solitude. You just have to find yours. Follow your own soul and find what makes you tick. Your world will become much better then.

Advertisement