Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

Roquentin wrote: »
    I am in similar bind. I was doing a professional job and gave it up. I remember i used come home thinking to myself "i am working so i will have money and a good image." it was a shallow existence. Now i couldnt hack the stress as well, but i always had this nagging feeling that there was more to life.

This is the same for everyone. the best we can hope for is marriage and work and retirement. Freud said man is repressed for this reason. Between what conformity demands of him and what he wants to achieve are two different things

Did that nagging feeling ever come true? Is there more to life? 'Cause right now all I'm seeing is "Work. Eat. Sleep. Repeat." (And the "sleep" bit isn't even guaranteed!!)

we all have strengths and weaknesses. Its just a matter of finding your limitations as a man. what you can and cannot do. But like i say when we die we will all be forgotten. So the best is you may as well find what you enjoy and do it within the threshold of the law

Oh trust me, I know my many MANY limitations. I know exactly what I cannot do, and that list is far longer than it should be. Thee are so many things that sound so simple in theory - lose weight, get fit, have more friends - that I feel completely and hopelessly incapable of doing.

Again i would have been in the same boat. Berating myself for my failures. But i have since found my calling and that is solitude. You just have to find yours. Follow your own soul and find what makes you tick. Your world will become much better then.

Who's to say I even have a calling though? Considering the number of people in the world, how likely is it that everyone has a "calling"?

I don't wanna sound ungrateful btw, I do appreciate you taking the time to comment. I just struggle to see any positivity right now. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Did that nagging feeling ever come true? Is there more to life? 'Cause right now all I'm seeing is "Work. Eat. Sleep. Repeat." (And the "sleep" bit isn't even guaranteed!!)

My life is pretty basic but i enjoy it now. I dont have much, but i enjoy it more than when i was working

Who's to say I even have a calling though? Considering the number of people in the world, how likely is it that everyone has a "calling"?

we are schooled to think that life is work and relationships and hence that becomes the means to life for most. My philosophy is centered around buddhism that teaches you find yourself from within. So on that premise one should discount what is generally accepted as the template for life and try and find how you want to spend your life.

Now it took years of self-psychoanalysis to find myself. so my advice is take a long hard look at yourself and find your own inner calling. Some people want to marry, some want to make money, some want to be homeless, some want to work on farm etc. Be true to yourself above all else.

if you dont have a mortgage or a family you are in a good place. You can change but it takes time.

Again: ask yourself "what do i want?" not "What do others want me to do?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Had to go looking for this thread again. Feeling increasingly helpless to deal with the realities of life right now. I felt so shít about myself for underachieving academically and being stuck at home in a rural aea with no pospects of employment. Now I have a job, am living in Dublin.....and it's such a massive anti-climax. It appears that the whole point of life from hereon in is to spend 95% of your time working in order to be able to afford the fleeting 5% of times where you'e actually alive and enjoying yourself. If that's all there is to life than what's the fúcking point? Even things like good music and good books don't comfort me anymore because it all comes with the reminder that "this work of art was created by someone/people who have talents that you will NEVER have". I can't write, sing, play instruments, paint....and I'm far too stupid to ever be able to carve out a scientific career. I'll never win a Nobel Prize or a Grammy or an Oscar or an Olympic Gold.....so what's the fúcking point of being alive if the maximum I can aim for is the basic level of adequacy?

I mean sure, most people will never win or achieve those things......but I don't look down on any of them because I can most likely see other positive qualities in them that don't exist in me. Everyone reading this post probably has some positive attribute that I don't....so the logical conclusion would be that I too have qualities but I can't see them whatever they are. And thus I go through life feeling completely fúcking inadequate and inferior. :(

What net benefit do I have to the world? Absolutely fúck all. As much as I'd love to pretend that my continued presence in this world is down to compassion for my loved ones and not wanting to hurt them, the reality is that I'm never in danger of killing myself because I'm so fúcking incompetent that even if I tried I'd fail miserably. So I just continue existing, being envious of everyone around me and feeling completely powerless to change myself for the better.

I've no idea how coherent any of that was, apologies for time wasting.

Have you tried finding things that you enjoy doing? Rather than trying to find things you're good at, why not work at finding out the things that you enjoy doing and spend your time doing those things?

I'm 31 and I don't know what I'm doing with myself. I've just in the last few months gotten an idea for something that I think I might like for a career. I've had one or two other vague ideas that didn't work out, so I understand the feeling of incompetence and uselessness - I feel it all the time, so I can't help you on that. The way I see it is my job should either be of importance to someone or to be something that I really like doing. I'm doing something that's kind of related to doing something important for people, but I need to get out as the place drives me bonkers. And at that I'm torn between sticking at the sensible secure job (or at least the same line, same job somewhere else) and going for something that I think I might enjoy. So I'm going for an in between answer. I'm going to take on my 'idea' part time and see how it works out.

Anyway, that turned into a blurb about me unintentionally. But my point was that you should work on figuring out what you enjoy doing. It doesn't have to translate to a career for you, but it could be just enough to keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Oh trust me, I know my many MANY limitations. I know exactly what I cannot do, and that list is far longer than it should be. Thee are so many things that sound so simple in theory - lose weight, get fit, have more friends - that I feel completely and hopelessly incapable of doing.

I don't wanna sound ungrateful btw, I do appreciate you taking the time to comment. I just struggle to see any positivity right now. :(

What do you want out of life?

I've been working on accepting that I may never be able for university. I'm finding college(fetac) exhausting. I took part in full time hours work experience, to see if I could handle full time job....I can't, took a serious emotional down turn.

So my main focus is find part time work. I'm going to do a second fetac....massage..and that's because I love giving friends and family massages, there isn't job prospects but wtf, right?

after..I'll try find a part time job somewhere..but if I don't..then I don't.
    I'm dependant on my partner....and it's difficult as I was raised not to be dependant on anyone. I feel weak, and a disgrace.

but work doesn't make me happy, having money doesn't make me happy. sure there's things I want, and need money for, but I'm currently in the process of letting it all go, and just the thought of letting "achievements"/success go, makes me happier.

It's strange, but I'm happier being relaxed, not having places to be, not having long term goals. I don't let myself be happy with it, but that's different, that's other peoples view about what I should be happy with.

So do you even know what would make you happy? and don't leave it up to someone else (ie 'having a gf), something in your power. a lifestyle you'd prefer?
    even hobbies, do you have any?

yoga is one of the best things I ever started, I can't go every week because it's pricy enough.. but the peace I feel after, it's worth every penny.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered

"Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That voice that keeps telling that you need to achieve more and more... ignore it. Measuring yourself against some of the best humanity has to offer AND in their chosen fields seems like quite a high bar to expect yourself to measure up to! :)

I used to do that all the time and to a large extent I feel that I STILL have wasted my talents through various self destructive means. One of the biggest struggles and probably the biggest single break through was deciding that for all my faults and failings (and my lack of internationally reknowned literary works! :) ) I like myself and I'm ok with who I am.

Since then I have taken to pottering around in my workshop, making things to give to people who I know will appreciate them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

DeVore wrote: »
    I like myself and I'm ok with who I am.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell really. Accepting yourself for who you are and loving yourself.

Such a simple sentence (and sounds incredible cheesy!) yet there is so much going on in it. It's so much easier said than done that it's simply ridiculous.

If anyone does learn how to do that though perhaps you could give me a few tips?! :D :P

So it turns out ****ing off my very misleading friends was incredibly cathartic. I was expecting to feel horrible if/when it happened but today is the best I feel in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Had to go looking for this thread again. Feeling increasingly helpless to deal with the realities of life right now. I felt so shít about myself for underachieving academically and being stuck at home in a rural aea with no pospects of employment. Now I have a job, am living in Dublin.....and it's such a massive anti-climax. It appears that the whole point of life from hereon in is to spend 95% of your time working in order to be able to afford the fleeting 5% of times where you'e actually alive and enjoying yourself. If that's all there is to life than what's the fúcking point? Even things like good music and good books don't comfort me anymore because it all comes with the reminder that "this work of art was created by someone/people who have talents that you will NEVER have". I can't write, sing, play instruments, paint....and I'm far too stupid to ever be able to carve out a scientific career. I'll never win a Nobel Prize or a Grammy or an Oscar or an Olympic Gold.....so what's the fúcking point of being alive if the maximum I can aim for is the basic level of adequacy?

I mean sure, most people will never win or achieve those things......but I don't look down on any of them because I can most likely see other positive qualities in them that don't exist in me. Everyone reading this post probably has some positive attribute that I don't....so the logical conclusion would be that I too have qualities but I can't see them whatever they are. And thus I go through life feeling completely fúcking inadequate and inferior. :(

What net benefit do I have to the world? Absolutely fúck all. As much as I'd love to pretend that my continued presence in this world is down to compassion for my loved ones and not wanting to hurt them, the reality is that I'm never in danger of killing myself because I'm so fúcking incompetent that even if I tried I'd fail miserably. So I just continue existing, being envious of everyone around me and feeling completely powerless to change myself for the better.

Yes. I understand where you are coming from, I was there many-a-time before in the past.

'You' have qualities just as much as any other person (every-one has them) but you need to find them. For example: I myself was in your boat a while back and I got into meditation and realised out of the blue that I had an interest in astronomy. I found this to be relaxing and interesting.

Look deeply within yourself for your interests that make you happy and start from there. It will get better I can assure you, just give it time.

Best wishes

Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Thought I was over this depression over 2yrs ive been reasonably ok then bang feel horrible this week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I mean sure, most people will never win or achieve those things......but I don't look down on any of them because I can most likely see other positive qualities in them that don't exist in me. Everyone reading this post probably has some positive attribute that I don't....so the logical conclusion would be that I too have qualities but I can't see them whatever they are. And thus I go through life feeling completely fúcking inadequate and inferior.

I highlighted the last bit to just say that I believe I do this quite frequently. Your thoughts and comments appear to reflect exactly where you feel you are right now.

This is one of the key things I have been learning, to be more balanced in response to my emotions/feelings. To have different levels of emotions.

I will give you an example. If you think of an emotional scale between 1-100-

• 1 feeling suicidal or depths of depression
    • 50 feeling balanced/ Okand
    • 100 - feeling euphoric like winning the lotto
    • In between these numbers being different levels of happiness/sadness

Lets just say that most of the time, most people feel 50 on this scale.

What I have learned is that my emotional responses/feelings to life incidents (trivial or serious) are more acute then others. So for example, if something bad happens to me that would normally get a response of negative 5 from the average person, my response might be over 4 times the feeling of negativity. In some cases, my responses can be an automatic drop of 30 points on that scale (ie, I drop more levels them the average person).

Now, here can be the kicker. Even when good things happen to me, I can automatically react negatively (or get anxious) from a habit of assuming that if something good happens, then something bad must be on the horizon. As such, I find it difficult to even enjoy positive things in my life that boosts the quality of the average person. .

So I get a super booster on the negativity scale so things feel worse then they are and I get a reduced bonus when positive things happen.

I understand completely the phrase "I went from 0 - 100" when people talk about their anger. Its exactly why I have tried to give an example using a scale. It helps me understand that my perception of my life and my self can make me happy or sad, irrespective of what goes on around me.

People focusing on academic accomplishments, job security/promotion, love life, family life, friendships or anything outside their control, is basically putting your happiness in the hands of others. On one level I feel it meant I was pawning off the responsibility of my own mental state on others. "Oh if my job was better" or "If my family would just leave me alone" or "If Insert excuse/reason here would just improve or change, I would feel better".

No no no no no no no . . I cant say no enough because this is exactly why kept me from getting out of a horribly depressed/anxiety driven rut. Only by learning about myself, my flaws, my bad habits, my responses, my needs and by being able to relect on my perception of life, was I able to make progress. .

In many cases, I found that my opinion of myself, my life and the world around me, was driven by a misguided, uninformed way of living. I needed professional help in seeing these things in myself. What I learned is that what we think of ourselves or our lives is not necessarily a fair reflection of things. A stranger or independent objective (not subjective) professional helped me see things in my life that I simply couldn't understand or fix.

I read it time and time again, go to support groups weekly and hear people make the same mistakes I made for years. I don't say this from an ivory tower, I am still working on my issues, but it is sad to see people stuck where I was for so long, simply because they cant really see that the biggest thing holding them back is themselves.

Letting go of control was a big thing for me. Trusting in professional people (therapist, doctor - other health professions) and support groups have been integral to my rehabilitation. Hearing normal people share their stories of depression/anxiety helps me feel less lonely and also gives me tips on how I can improve things. .

This hasn't happened over night either. I used to try things out and if I ever felt bad or that I was regressing, I would quit or call that strategy a failure. I have made a conscious life choice to commit to my well being for the rest of my life. I have accepted that there will be times when I feel down, but that this doesn't mean I am back at the start , it just means that I feel down at that time. .

One example of a bad habit was where I used to think that looking at myself and understanding myself was something best done on my own. So when I felt I did something bad or wrong, I would call myself "useless or piece of sh*t" in my head and think I was self regulating. I seldom had anything nice to say about myself. But this was a horribly bad habit that I didn't realise was a huge contributing factor to how I felt in general.

I was told straight out from my therapist that I was self absorbed. "Great, so not only do I think I am a piece of sh*t, I am all wrapped up in myself aswell" . . That was my initial reaction. But in time I learned that being stuck in my head so often, with the vicious critic constantly putting me down, is being self absorbed. I stopped looking at it as a criticism and started to approach it as an opportunity to challenge my own way of thinking.

My therapist challenged me, but my beliefs/thoughts needed to be challenged and most importantly, I was prepared to work on my faults and take on board constructive criticism. I didn't do my normal feeling sorry for myself "so I am also self absorbed, better just add that to the nasty voice in my head so he can insult me properly". Nothing changed in my life when I kept doing the same things (self criticism) and relying mainly on the one thing that was putting me down the most (my own mind).

When I write the things I have done down here (CBT, support groups, Doctor etc), I know it looks like it came easy to me. Believe me, I spent over 20 years getting to this stage and I was in many regards lucky that I eventually got to where I am now. Self delusion and being self absorbed was extremely powerful and I can see how it prevents so many people like me, from getting a more balanced life.

Yeah I very rarely feel awfully good about stuff. I probably react more when I get a conundrum on Countdown straightaway or solve a hard puzzle than when I got my degree. Even on my graduation day I was being congratulated and the guff I was coming out with probably sounded like ridiculous false modesty to people who don't know me that well.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah I can identify with whats being said about the highs and lows. Sometimes its like I feel like I don't *deserve* to feel good. Or that immediately I feel like "Don't get too happy, the fall will just be worse when the bad news comes".
    Fighting that feeling is one of the toughest parts of this whole thing.

I have found that doing things for other people, particularly people who I'm not looking for anything back from (or who are incapable of giving me something back) has really helped me a great deal. I highly recommend it. It was after doing something like that that one day I was just sitting on the side of my bed, looking in the dressing mirror in my bedroom and I thought "you're broken and weird, but you're okay, you're a good guy". That was a big break through for me... my faults have always loomed large on my radar, much larger than my achievements which are generally trashed (I mentioned this in the OP).

This feeling is practically definitive of depression imho... its also a key thing to be tackled.

Roquentin wrote: »

Again: ask yourself "what do i want?" not "What do others want me to do?"
    Gongoozler wrote: »
    Have you tried finding things that you enjoy doing? Rather than trying to find things you're good at, why not work at finding out the things that you enjoy doing and spend your time doing those things?

Anyway, that turned into a blurb about me unintentionally. But my point was that you should work on figuring out what you enjoy doing. It doesn't have to translate to a career for you, but it could be just enough to keep you going.
    What do you want out of life?

So do you even know what would make you happy? and don't leave it up to someone else (ie 'having a gf), something in your power. a lifestyle you'd prefer?
    even hobbies, do you have any?

Noticing the recurring theme here!
    To be honest, I don't really know what I want from life. I could say something vague and meaningless like "to be happy" but isn't that what everyone wants? Wanting something and being able to recognise how to get it are two very different things.

On a more superficial level I could say something like "I want to be a successful musician/author/scientist" but realistically that is never gonna happen as I feel like I don't have the patience, talent or intelligence for any of that. I've tried taking up hobbies before, and then I've given up on them when I didn't become amazingly good amazingly quick. In that sense I do feel like I have to be good at something to properly enjoy it.....which has left me good at nothing and not able to enjoy myself.
    That voice that keeps telling that you need to achieve more and more... ignore it. Measuring yourself against some of the best humanity has to offer AND in their chosen fields seems like quite a high bar to expect yourself to measure up to! :)

Yeah, I guess.....but it's always frustrating to think that I'm not the best humanity has to offer in any aspect of life. Being happy with me, and all my limitations, seems like a pipe dream.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    People focusing on academic accomplishments, job security/promotion, love life, family life, friendships or anything outside their control, is basically putting your happiness in the hands of others. On one level I feel it meant I was pawning off the responsibility of my own mental state on others. "Oh if my job was better" or "If my family would just leave me alone" or "If Insert excuse/reason here would just improve or change, I would feel better".

No no no no no no no . . I cant say no enough because this is exactly why kept me from getting out of a horribly depressed/anxiety driven rut. Only by learning about myself, my flaws, my bad habits, my responses, my needs and by being able to relect on my perception of life, was I able to make progress. .

In many cases, I found that my opinion of myself, my life and the world around me, was driven by a misguided, uninformed way of living. I needed professional help in seeing these things in myself. What I learned is that what we think of ourselves or our lives is not necessarily a fair reflection of things. A stranger or independent objective (not subjective) professional helped me see things in my life that I simply couldn't understand or fix.

I read it time and time again, go to support groups weekly and hear people make the same mistakes I made for years. I don't say this from an ivory tower, I am still working on my issues, but it is sad to see people stuck where I was for so long, simply because they cant really see that the biggest thing holding them back is themselves.

Letting go of control was a big thing for me. Trusting in professional people (therapist, doctor - other health professions) and support groups have been integral to my rehabilitation. Hearing normal people share their stories of depression/anxiety helps me feel less lonely and also gives me tips on how I can improve things. .

This hasn't happened over night either. I used to try things out and if I ever felt bad or that I was regressing, I would quit or call that strategy a failure. I have made a conscious life choice to commit to my well being for the rest of my life. I have accepted that there will be times when I feel down, but that this doesn't mean I am back at the start , it just means that I feel down at that time. .

One example of a bad habit was where I used to think that looking at myself and understanding myself was something best done on my own. So when I felt I did something bad or wrong, I would call myself "useless or piece of sh*t" in my head and think I was self regulating. I seldom had anything nice to say about myself. But this was a horribly bad habit that I didn't realise was a huge contributing factor to how I felt in general.

I was told straight out from my therapist that I was self absorbed. "Great, so not only do I think I am a piece of sh*t, I am all wrapped up in myself aswell" . . That was my initial reaction. But in time I learned that being stuck in my head so often, with the vicious critic constantly putting me down, is being self absorbed. I stopped looking at it as a criticism and started to approach it as an opportunity to challenge my own way of thinking.
    I may have to print off the above and keep it somewhere I can read. There's a lot of good advice and things to ponder in there. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'd be lying if I said I was feeling better but I'm certainly feeling slightly less bad than I did yesterday.

Noticing the recurring theme here!
    To be honest, I don't really know what I want from life. I could say something vague and meaningless like "to be happy" but isn't that what everyone wants? Wanting something and being able to recognise how to get it are two very different things.

On a more superficial level I could say something like "I want to be a successful musician/author/scientist" but realistically that is never gonna happen as I feel like I don't have the patience, talent or intelligence for any of that. I've tried taking up hobbies before, and then I've given up on them when I didn't become amazingly good amazingly quick. In that sense I do feel like I have to be good at something to properly enjoy it.....which has left me good at nothing and not able to enjoy myself.

Why is success so important?
    I've learned to enjoy just the doing of something.
    like the yoga for example, I get very tired during where I'm no longer capable of keeping up, my wrists also get to me sometimes. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy what I can do. The limitation doesn't take from the enjoyment.

Gaming is a great hobby, especially solo games with cheats :P.
    (I don't like getting frustrated with games so I love my cheats. )

"On a more superficial level I could say something like "I want to be a successful musician/author/scientist""

I don't think the problem with this post is that it's unrealistic, I think the problem is that it doesn't seem to matter to you what it is, so long as it's "successful".
    That's a real problem in my opinion, because you're not focusing on the doing of something and therefore you're never going to have the passion to keep motivated and to actually succeed or enjoy the journey.
    Yeah, I guess.....but it's always frustrating to think that I'm not the best humanity has to offer in any aspect of life. Being happy with me, and all my limitations, seems like a pipe dream.
    You know most of the "best", either weren't labelled that way during life..or got lucky.
    It's not just about ability, it's about the right connections, being in the right place, taking the right chances.
    Ability can pull off the luck, but luck is often necessary. Just something I like to remember.
    I'm only currently learning to give up "success" for the sake of success, it's very difficult thing to give up. but is it really you who wants this success or are the pressures put on you by others?
    and why do you want it?

remember even 'the cleaner' is an important part of society as a whole.

Are you receiving therapy? CBT might be useful to you.

Well you can get that idea right out of your head for starters. You absolutely CAN be happy with yourself, your limitations, your foibles and limits, your pluses and minuses. Stop fighting yourself, stop fighting internally and just let all that expectation, that onerous weight on your shoulders go. Seriously, right now, agree and accept that you are not going to be the greatest human ever at something. I'm never going to compete in the Olympics. Its part of humanity and its wonderfully liberating to just accept that hey, Mr Big, you're just like the rest of us. :) Flawed, barnacled but lovely. And loveable.

In terms of CBT you should try to practise avoiding going down the thought-paths that lead you to dwelling on missed opportunities or on bleak futures (they weren't, they aren't).... so every time you notice your thoughts going that way, shout at your head and FORCE yourself to think about something right here, right now. What are you cooking for dinner? What does the air smell like? Is the seat you are sitting on hard or soft? Anything so long as it interrupts that thought train and derails it. You might have to do this repeatedly, every minute even or more often (I did) but it becomes a habit and a habit becomes normal after time. Stopping that mental drifting into "wallowing" is really really important. Give it a try, what harm can it do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Hey guys, not super familiar with prescriptions and everything but I'm after messing up in a pretty stupid way and need to know what I should do.

Looks like I left both my repeat prescription and my ATM card at my parents place and won't be back there for another week. I just finished my last month's prescription there a few hours ago and was ready to get the repeat when I noticed I had a receipt for my last doctor's appointment instead. Because I don't have my ATM card atm, so I need to know where I could get a new prescription either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm living pretty frugally, have the money for the effexor but I simply don't have access to the money to pay for a doctor's appointment until Tuesday or so. I've never not been able to pay a doctor on the spot so I'm not sure what the setup is in a situation like that. Is there any system where I could get a one week emergency refill or something? Live in Galway city so I presume I've access to some kind of options here.

Thanks.

Hey guys, not super familiar with prescriptions and everything but I'm after messing up in a pretty stupid way and need to know what I should do.

Looks like I left both my repeat prescription and my ATM card at my parents place and won't be back there for another week. I just finished my last month's prescription there a few hours ago and was ready to get the repeat when I noticed I had a receipt for my last doctor's appointment instead. Because I don't have my ATM card atm, so I need to know where I could get a new prescription either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm living pretty frugally, have the money for the effexor but I simply don't have access to the money to pay for a doctor's appointment until Tuesday or so. I've never not been able to pay a doctor on the spot so I'm not sure what the setup is in a situation like that. Is there any system where I could get a one week emergency refill or something? Live in Galway city so I presume I've access to some kind of options here.

Thanks.

a and e in the regional. id say they would write up a script. not sure how to pay for it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

False alarm, the card and prescription were safely tucked away in the bottom of the bin! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Relief!. Nice one.

• Advertisement

False alarm, the card and prescription were safely tucked away in the bottom of the bin! :eek:

For future reference, your doctor should let you pay when you can for appointments.

At least, most doctors do this, as they have quite a number of people who pay for appointments in part. (a tenner a week etc.)

You should also be able to just phone your doctor and get the script re-printed without actually seeing the doctor.
    ____
    just noticed the out of hours..

quite often you can get 304 days "in advance" of a presciption from the pharmacy..depends on the pharmacy.
    They could also contact southdoc to write up a prescription. Again depends n the southdoc, they may want to see, they may write up a week just based on the pharmacy stating your normal meds, will want to speak to you. Some are ok with over the phone..some not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TeacherforHire

I've gone abroad and I have anxious issues. Ironically, it's not in a teaching position :P

Just thought I'd put this up here in case I need to talk to someone. I'll try and post humourous moments every now and again.

1) Someone was eating garlic bread on the seat behind me. Trust me, and empty stomach does not react well to garlic.

2) i almost scalded myself trying to open a teacup at the airport. IT was so tight, the cup was so hot, and all I could see was my life flashing before my eyes. Thankfully, through my own valiant heroism, I got that infernal lid off without scalding my entire body.

I feel very mixed at the moment. Elated, 'depressed', wondering whether I am wasting my time, and, of course, anxious.

Just thought I'd start posting here :)

I wonder how long should I leave it before I decide that it isn't for me.

The gloomy side has taken over :(

Decide what isn't for you? Living abroad?

Once I recognise I am in a down mood, I make absolutely sure I take no life-decisions what so ever. Not even deciding what colour to paint the walls. I literally just focus on letting time pass and not being negative, trusting that This Too Shall Pass.

You've identified it yourself, you aren't right right at the moment... so why would you go deciding things in that state? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

100% what DeVore has said.

For me, personally, as soon as I get that switch in my head where I recognise what's going on, or that I feel myself coming crashing down it's all hands on deck to try get my mind moving with something else. That includes or has included, spontaneous walks, jamming on my guitar, watching stand-up comedy, calling a friend on the phone, reading a good book, wrestling my dog etc.

You'll get through it! When you're going through hell... keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

That is so true about when you feel down. I recognise it now and I just stop the ball from rolling into a ball of negativity. I let my feelings be, recognise that tomorrow will be better and I do something kind for myself, something as small as making a hot chocolate and sitting for a few minutes. Definitely don't get into arguments or make decisions.

I've come to the conclusion now in life that if I can give out more than I take then I'm doing well. If I can add to the universe in kind good ways, well then that makes me happy.

Also, none of us have to be brilliant at our hobbies. I'm not great at painting, not very creative but I enjoy it, if you enjoy it then that's good enough.

I recently came off Efexor 150mg. I get days where I am down, I struggle a lot with what a bad world we live in. I've been reading some Buddhism teachings which have opened my mind to accepting that bad things happen. Has anyone any tips on how to to get perspective and to help make peace with this in my head?

I wish everyone on here lots of peace.

Actually, I lied. I am teaching.

And the question was for both living abroad and teaching. What if I can't handle the stress? Truth be told, I feel like I'm getting worse and worse.

Teach, it sounds like you are down about being down. That's a dangerous spiral and you need to break it.

Also, you say "what if I cant handle the stress" ... well maybe you should give yourself a chance and see. If you are stressed and down about something before it even happens, what kind of chance are you giving yourself? :)

It kinda sounds like you have too much time in your own head. Maybe get out and socialise or take up a hobby? (Just a guess/suggestion).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Actually, I lied. I am teaching.

And the question was for both living abroad and teaching. What if I can't handle the stress? Truth be told, I feel like I'm getting worse and worse.

But what if you can? It's very easy to look on the negative side of the "what if".

And you can handle it, and more. You've gotten this far, your journey's just beginning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yeah I can identify with whats being said about the highs and lows. Sometimes its like I feel like I don't *deserve* to feel good. Or that immediately I feel like "Don't get too happy, the fall will just be worse when the bad news comes".

I get that feeling where I'm on a high "Hmm... things are going to well for me I wonder when the fall is going to happen". It feels like a self fulfilling prophecy though

Advertisement