Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

jammstarr wrote: »
    Not looking forward to New Year's Eve :(

Are there no firework to look at in Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Had my first dark cloudy day for years yesterday. Scared the shilt out of me that it was back for the foreseeable future. Last time it scourged me for two to three months. Don't know how, but I don't think it has taken grip this time. It is some scary basterd of a thing when you see it coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

talkinyite maybe you should get some help ? As in tonight maybe head down to A&E and get talking to the psychiatrist ? Or call the samaritans

Cheers but nah I just needed a spliff. The law of attraction or whatever else shrinks spout these days would do me no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Are there no firework to look at in Waterford?

Could be fireworks actually.

Was just posting that New Year's can be a bit of an anti-climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Fair play for seeing it that way. I hope your doing better lately anyway.

Different problems these days. My mental health changed a lot after I had a psychotic break at 21. My problems before then were just a slow build up to the break. Since then it's been a mix of recovering and being in and out of bad patches. Feeling somewhat low the past few days but it's not really screwing me up badly yet. Making me a little apprehensive though, I was hoping to get through this winter without a full blown depression for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

nesf wrote: »
    Different problems these days. My mental health changed a lot after I had a psychotic break at 21. My problems before then were just a slow build up to the break. Since then it's been a mix of recovering and being in and out of bad patches. Feeling somewhat low the past few days but it's not really screwing me up badly yet. Making me a little apprehensive though, I was hoping to get through this winter without a full blown depression for a change.

you don't need to say if you're not comfortable, but i'm just wondering could you explain what the psychotic break was for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

talkinyite wrote: »
    Cheers but nah I just needed a spliff. The law of attraction or whatever else shrinks spout these days would do me no good.

shrinks , like in most professions are good and bad , it amazes me that still doctor/shrinks are picked nearly solely on academic performance - when for a shrink, personal skills should be as important, if not more so - some of the brainy boxes havnt a clue when it comes to the gritty nature of addiction/ depression - but if you (anyone) keep looking you can come across the odd good one

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ran into my abusive father who turned up by chance to a relatives house. It sounds as bad as it is. Dont know if I can recover from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Ran into my abusive father who turned up by chance to a relatives house. It sounds as bad as it is. Dont know if I can recover from this.

You can, I don't doubt it for a moment. You've made it this far and you know everyone here is on your side. *hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Of course you can, it might be tough for a bit, but it will get better.

Have a rant on here or call a friend or maybe The Samaritans?

Might sound silly but sometimes if I'm down I read the You Laugh You Lose Thread..

*big hug*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

May not be the place, but since it's a popular thread I wouldn't mind getting a broader opinion on it. what do people think about going out with someone with depression? and at what point when you're with someone do you bring it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

There's a lot of people, myself included, saying that it helps you to talk to someone. Has anyone thought about setting up a chat room. I'd be happy to hang about it while I'm on the computer over Christmas (and I don't see myself going out New Years either.) It doesn't need to be a general boards one, just one for this thread.

I definitely feel that posting on a forum can help: I've posted about some family stuff over the past few days on other boards and received a lot of support. I've also chatted to people and that's a different kind of help. So if a chat room was setup?

I only know about IRC so I went ahead with setting something up there. My name will be in it for the next few days and I'll be there when I'm on the computer. If anyone wants to join you need:
    An IRC client (software)
    Set the server to irc.colfdront.net
    join the channel #nowyerchattin (the "#" before "nowyerchattin" is important.)

I don't think boards needs a chat room in general. For all I know there is one somewhere. I don't intend this to be a general chat room to replace boards (which would be impossible.) Just something for people in this thread to log on to and see words scrolling by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

May not be the place, but since it's a popular thread I wouldn't mind getting a broader opinion on it. what do people think about going out with someone with depression? and at what point when you're with someone do you bring it up?
    I was going out with someone who was clinically depressed, in that I mean she often made attempts on her life and self harmed regularly. She was on medication and receiving treatment extensively for many years. It was horrible, probably one of the worst experiences trying to comprehend with it and all the things she was going through. I was very supportive at first but I grew to hate it, she almost seemed to enjoy doing it and more often than not she would end up drinking herself into various states of unconsciousness and ending up in hospital after another failed attempt the following day. Once I noticed a pattern I would prepare myself and wait for the aftermath. I felt trapped, like my life had to revolve around her and her problems and even getting out was hard but I did it and would never go back to that kind of abusive situation again.

I'm not depressed myself at the minute, I'm probably what most people call a deep thinker. I like to spend time by myself and my own thoughts. I do know what it's like to be depressed but I'm not there anymore. I was never very good at relationships and maybe it's because of the way I am. I never felt the need to be with or impose myself on another person either. Recently I met someone who likes the way I am. She see's my dark sense of humour and finds the irony funny. It's weird but it works. She has an amazing laugh too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Good post :)

I'm depressed and have bad anxiety which stops me going places which doesn't help. I have seen someone about it, but gave up since. I've kinda given up at this point, i said earlier this year that i didn't want to be exactly the same in a years time, but nothings changed since. I have told my family and all, but havn't discussed it in a few months, it's just really awkward since i don't think they know what to say, so i've been acting like everything is fine. I do think about suicide, but also think of what it would do to my family. I don't know though, i can't really win whatever i do.

That's a tough one alright. Might be shooting yourself in the foot if you mention it too early however keeping it hidden for too long could bring up some trust issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

could you explain what the psychotic break was for you?

I joke

you don't need to say if you're not comfortable, but i'm just wondering could you explain what the psychotic break was for you?

I became very paranoid. I thought people were listening in on what I was saying. That I couldn't speak without people knowing what I was saying. I thought everyone I knew was really plotting my downfall and acting against me. I thought people on the street were judging me and commenting about me (think social anxiety magnified to a stupid degree). I refused to sleep at my home (rented student house) because I thought my housemates were out to harm me, so I couchsurfed for ages and wore out my welcome at a number of places. I started cutting myself and self-harming again after having not done it for about 4 years and so on.

I never heard voices, I never saw things that were not there and it never became serious enough that I thought my thoughts were being controlled by someone else or similar. It was quite odd for a psychotic break really and no doctor I've talked to about it is quite sure what exactly it was and whether it was true psychosis or not. Was I paranoid? Definitely. Was I classically paranoid for a person having a first psychotic break? No, definitely not.

I definitely lost touch with reality in a serious way but I never progressed to the point seen in other people (I never thought the police were after me or anything like that, or that the Government was plotting against me and similar).

I definitely lost touch with reality in a serious way but I never progressed to the point seen in other people
    sounds like a bad trip. My nephew went through something similar after taking stuff he got in a headshop, was out of action for over a year. (was hospitalised and ended up on meds)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was out in Flannery's tonight with a few of my friends,I hate the place but I ended up talking to a really nice girl for ages,went to the bar to get us both a drink and came back to find her wearing the face off one of my friends.

I don't know why I even bother with life anymore.Just seems so pointless,it's not really life being this depressed and lonely all the time anyway.

Kaden wrote: »
    sounds like a bad trip. My nephew went through something similar after taking stuff he got in a headshop, was out of action for over a year. (was hospitalised and ended up on meds)

Yeah mine wasn't drug related and I keep getting minor episodes of it. Went through 6 months a few years ago where I refused to leave the house without wearing a hat because if I wore the hat I would be protected from the evil designs of others.

Seriously ****ed up thinking. :D

• Advertisement

I don't know why I even bother with life anymore.Just seems so pointless,it's not really life being this depressed and lonely all the time anyway.

Because depressions end and life gets better. Hard to believe but when it happens to you and you get those first few days of being able to genuinely enjoy things again it's a most wonderful experience.

I remember the times when I was messed up but I know there was always a trigger, a death, a loss of some sort, an abusive relationship or some trauma that had stayed with me and reared it's head when I needed it least. It made it difficult being on my own for most of it and I don't know how I came out the other side but I'm here. I do wish you all the best on your journeys and hope you all will come out the other side stronger for it too.

Kaden wrote: »
    I remember the times when I was messed up but I know there was always a trigger, a death, a loss of some sort, an abusive relationship or some trauma that had stayed with me and reared it's head when I needed it least. It made it difficult being on my own for most of it and I don't know how I came out the other side but I'm here. I do wish you all the best on your journeys and hope you all will come out the other side stronger for it too.

I don't really have triggers, just something internal goes and suddenly I'm depressed / paranoid / in a mixed state / having delusional beliefs / whatever. Triggers would be nice, then I'd have some kind of warning and I could work on minimising them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd go out with someone with depression. But I wouldn't go out with me. But I suppose it'd be so impossibly hard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

May not be the place, but since it's a popular thread I wouldn't mind getting a broader opinion on it. what do people think about going out with someone with depression?
    I have in the past S. It was bloody difficult. TBH I wouldn't again. Paid my dues on that score. I have a lot of respect for people who do stick around.

That said depression is too small a word to describe the range of the condition, so maybe better to say I'd not go out with that more extreme type of depression again. I'd have zero problem with someone who had it well managed or who had it in the past, but not someone in the full throes of it. Selfish on my part? Maybe, but I barely escaped with my own head together in the past.

On that point, someone asked earlier in the thread does depression go away. In my personal experience anyway, I know a number of people who "grew out of it" or had one or two or more episodes, sometimes bad ones too and that was it. Not so long ago unipolar depression was considered an acute condition, not a chronic one(for most people).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't really have triggers, just something internal goes and suddenly I'm depressed / paranoid / in a mixed state / having delusional beliefs / whatever. Triggers would be nice, then I'd have some kind of warning and I could work on minimising them.

Maybe you just don't know what the triggers are yet ? What triggers have you looked for ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, I do think there is a good chance of people "growing out of it" or coming to terms with it and being able to deal with it. It takes a mixture of "internal work" (I came up with all these names for things because I needed names but I didnt know what to call them :):) ), and management of your lifestyle and situation. Internal work is working inside your head to try and resolve whatever is getting at you and trying to see that its not part of you really, its "other".

I use a kind of Progoff Journaling sometimes, its a simple thing really. Open Notepad and start writing. Dont think about structure, just blaze away into it. Dump everything from your mind into it. Try explaining to it, or arguing with it/yourself or just rage into it sometimes. But find what works for you (or it might not work at all!). I found it helpful (other people draw, or write poetry or other things .... it seems to be that things which take your full concentration are good. For me it pushes all those things that have "gotten in on me" back out to the outside of my mental defenses and they have to start again.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DeVore wrote: »
    Yes, I do think there is a good chance of people "growing out of it" or coming to terms with it and being able to deal with it. It takes a mixture of "internal work" (I came up with all these names for things because I needed names but I didnt know what to call them :):) ), and management of your lifestyle and situation. Internal work is working inside your head to try and resolve whatever is getting at you and trying to see that its not part of you really, its "other".
    True or their general life circumstances change, by design or even pure dumb luck. :) Now I mean those folks whose depression is or was mostly triggered by bad external events, rather than a brain chemistry kinda thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    True or their general life circumstances change, by design or even pure dumb luck. :) Now I mean those folks whose depression is or was mostly triggered by bad external events, rather than a brain chemistry kinda thing.

That seems to be part of the trouble defining and treating depression. What is affecting me might not affect you. Likewise what medication or therapy you're doing may not help me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

I have been unhappy all my life. What I mean by that is, my default feeling is unhappiness. Not extreme or anything. Just a few notches below 'content' on the "happiness chart" if you will.

This has just always been normal to me.

I go through stages during a year where my unhappiness level plummets down to depression. Not deep depression but depression non the less.

I think about suicide a lot but I don't consider myself suicidal. Its more the concept I think about.

When I was a baby I was dying and came very close to death but I made a recovery. I think I feel as if I was not supposed to recover. I have always felt largely disconnected from life. I never really felt part of it. I've always been more comfortable feeling like a spectator rather then a participant of life.

Idea's of exiting life have always been there, since I was a young child. I toyed with the concepts before I was even a teenager. Putting myself in a position of ending my life but not going through with it (standing on the ledges of extreme heights with the intention of jumping off )

But my inability to causes self harm and my interest in the future has prevented me from being "suicidal".

I go through life just keeping myself distracted and allowing time to pass by. Wishing I could just watch it rather then being forced to participate in a play where I have to keep up an act when I would rather be in the audience.

I would like to be happy, I have been single all my life and thought maybe if I met someone special I could find happiness. This is what TV likes to think anyway. But I thought similar things, eg: when I worked in horrible places with people I found difficult to be around. Now I work with some really nice people and things are not too stressful yet I find myself yet again in one of those depressed stages of my yearly cycle.

The only thing that has really kept me from feeling extremely depressed consistently is escapism.

Advertisement