Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

I'm seeing my counsellor early every Saturday morning; it's the first time that it has been on a weekly basis. I don't mind that it's early, otherwise I'd be in bed until early afternoon because I just can't get up on weekends unless I have something important to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Must admit Mondays and Tuesdays were always my best days in the week, furthest from the weekend so I had a bit of breathing space to make up excuses not to meet up with people, weekends always suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Must admit Mondays and Tuesdays were always my best days in the week, furthest from the weekend so I had a bit of breathing space to make up excuses not to meet up with people, weekends always suck

I always look really forward to the weekend as it means a few days without work but at soon as they arrive I become bored and down.

Yeah the boredom strikes me too, then I start over thinking and before you know it I've been sitting starring into space for an hour and feeling like crap about myself

Yeah the boredom strikes me too, then I start over thinking and before you know it I've been sitting starring into space for an hour and feeling like crap about myself

I'd imagine that's common enough among our type unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that's common enough among our type unfortunately.

Yeah, nice to remind myself I'm not alone in all this sometimes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh that is absolutely true for me, end up in right low place. On couch sick with chest infection, so finding intrusive thoughts popping up and battling them is tiring..

Oh that is absolutely true for me, end up in right low place. On couch sick with chest infection, so finding intrusive thoughts popping up and battling them is tiring..

It really is one of the most mentally draining things ever, the only thing that helps me in those really bad times are fantasy/sci-fi/fiction books, takes me into a world that isn't the one I seem to be stuck in. If my concentration is bad I might have to read the page 10 times but it usually gives my mind something to focus on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm watching comedy shows. Mock the week at the minute..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Sorry to hear this Grem :( Is there anything nice you can do for yourself? If you want to chat I'm here.

• Advertisement

Yeah, nice to remind myself I'm not alone in all this sometimes

With threads like these, we're never truly alone thankfully. :)

Sorry to hear that there Grem. Hope you start to get better soon.
    It really is one of the most mentally draining things ever, the only thing that helps me in those really bad times are fantasy/sci-fi/fiction books, takes me into a world that isn't the one I seem to be stuck in. If my concentration is bad I might have to read the page 10 times but it usually gives my mind something to focus on

A bit of escapism is great. It can really hit the spot at times.

Sorry to hear this Grem :( Is there anything nice you can do for yourself? If you want to chat I'm here.

Thank you, having tea and soup, dog is minding me well too, she knows i'm a bad patient especially when i could barely walk her earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

an existential psychiatrist once said that humans are the only animal that cannot handle boredom. life is so great and yet we are implored to escape it at all times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I'm watching comedy shows. Mock the week at the minute..

It's funny if I am down or in any way anxious I find it really hard to watch television. It is the first sign that shows me that I am anxious.
    Thank you, having tea and soup, dog is minding me well too, she knows i'm a bad patient especially when i could barely walk her earlier.

At least you are keeping yourself feed and hydrated. Sometimes it's hard to even get up off the couch to make something to eat especially if you're sick on top of that. Dogs are the best companions. Except when they snore.

I snore more than the dog! Especially now that i sound like a pot of porridge while awake... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Hi there. I`m seeking advice on where to get help for my mother. She is a long sufferer of depression and has had general and bereavement counselling on and off throughout the years over the past twenty odd years. It`not something she ever stuck to long term and probably should have.

She has been able to manage her depression to a point but lately it is as poor as I`ve ever seen it due to me off work sick on a long enough stint of three months, having one month gone and two more to go.

She attended the "life skills" program with aware support group last year and found it the most beneficial thing she`s ever done to help her cope with her depression but unfortunately is is only a six week programme which ended leaving her with no ongoing support.

She is on a waiting list for more one to one general counselling with "lets get talking" organisation here in Galway where we live but it is going to take 10 weeks before she get`s seen to which is far to long of waiting list. I`m inclined to think she needs something more urgently than that.

I will calling aware and Grow tommorow morning to inquire about further group support classes they do, but am also looking for more advice if possible on where she may also avail of a free or else very low cost one to one counselling to couple the group support sessions in Galway.

If anyone had any advice for me, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

^ Sadly, the expense involved in getting counselling is a total bitch. :( I'm glad your Mam found the Aware Life Skills programme helpful though, I was signed up to attend it in April but other commitments (which, in hindisght, were a bit of a waste of time) stopped me from going. Next session isn't until September, hopefully I'll get a place for that.

My GP has recommended counselling to me but the price just doesn't make it feasible; €60 for a GP visit is bad enough as it is. :mad: I wouldn't say I'm struggling financially but certainly not making enough to justify €50-€70 a session; even if I was a zillionaire I'd still feel like I was being ripped off paying that much tbh.
    I hear ya.. Funny how a lot of people seem to equate good weather with better humour but it's not to be.. Just keep one breath after the next, this too will pass..

Good weather seems to have the opposite effect on me. I don't like heat anyway, I sweat a lot and get very self-conscious. But other than that, the recent good weather has meant me having to see lots of groups of people hanging out, sitting on the grass or in pub beer gardens, chatting and laughing. And it's a painful reminder that I'm really quite lonely right now. :(

In addition to counselling, my GP also recommended Couch25k. It makes sense because I've always been self conscious about my weight and my total lack of fitness. My cholesterol is also pretty high at the moment, and exercise in general is said to be good for mental health (though I've never really felt it before tbh).
    So there are several reasons for me to do it, and I have been toying with it for a while (even went as far as getting the app on my phone) but everytime I psych myself up I end up tiring myself out. Even the thought of a 20 minute jog mentally drains me, and then the fatigue takes over and I end up just lying down doing nothing. Then comes the comfort eating -> getting fatter -> being sad -> comfort eating cycle.......

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

subscriber, I presume you saw the list of support places at the bottom of the first post? Review that list, it might give you some new options.

Have you tried getting your mother into some exercise... maybe do it together if you have time spare.

New experiences and new learning have been shown to have a beneficial effect on depression... so, learning a new skill or taking on a class are good. Maybe some creative writing, or life painting or just about anything works, so long as its new and at least once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Roquentin wrote: »
    an existential psychiatrist once said that humans are the only animal that cannot handle boredom. life is so great and yet we are implored to escape it at all times

Yet we are the managers of our boredom - it's funny (peculiar) that the default choice of doing nothing when depressed is not the correct one. Yet the motivation isn't there either and so we spin around at the bottom of the black hole.

Years back now I remember a phase where out of frustration with the overwhelming subjective 'black' feeling, I forced myself out of the house for a long walk. I felt just as rotten walking, but whether it was the 'moving wallpaper' or the effects of the sun and exercise, my mental outlook changed to somewhat normal on return. furthermore if I repeated it at intervals the result was the same. I just throw this out there for anyone who might find it useful.

The second thing is to search your own mind for something which 'fires your soul', lifts your heart so to speak. It could be a hobby, something with a spiritual value, not necessarily religion although for some it could be. This will have to come from you or someone who knows you well.

I am using 'you' in the general sense here, not referring to any post in particular. I have 'background depression' and just wish to pass my experiences on.

subscriber wrote: »
    Hi there. I`m seeking advice on where to get help for my mother. She is a long sufferer of depression and has had general and bereavement counselling on and off throughout the years over the past twenty odd years. It`not something she ever stuck to long term and probably should have.

She has been able to manage her depression to a point but lately it is as poor as I`ve ever seen it due to me off work sick on a long enough stint of three months, having one month gone and two more to go.

She attended the "life skills" program with aware support group last year and found it the most beneficial thing she`s ever done to help her cope with her depression but unfortunately is is only a six week programme which ended leaving her with no ongoing support.

She is on a waiting list for more one to one general counselling with "lets get talking" organisation here in Galway where we live but it is going to take 10 weeks before she get`s seen to which is far to long of waiting list. I`m inclined to think she needs something more urgently than that.

I will calling aware and Grow tommorow morning to inquire about further group support classes they do, but am also looking for more advice if possible on where she may also avail of a free or else very low cost one to one counselling to couple the group support sessions in Galway.

I've been seeing councilors for years and one I had a bout a year ago ( I get free ones so they're always changing on me) told me about a website moodgym (cant post a URL, I'm new here, but if you google it you should find it)
    It's a website set up by some Uni in Australia but it's free to use worldwide, if your Mother has had CBT in the past it might be of help to her, she can set up an account and keep track of things, I know it's helped me

• Advertisement

It's not very often that I say this, but I'm doing well. :)

Had a very good week. Took my first exam for over 10 years; I was terrified going into it but I didn't only pass it, I aced it! So I had no reason to be worried. I'm also making good progress with my counsellor and liking the weekly sessions.

The bright weather is surely helping too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

You've probably had this suggested before and may or may not be relevant but if you're worried she's suicidal and/or self harming I'd contact Pieta house. The one in Cork had an appointment for me within a week and I found it very helpful.
    They have a branch in Tuam, and it's free, but there are envelopes available for donations if anyone is somewhat uncomfortable going for free. Afaik all they do are one-to-one sessions but can also get other family members involved if the therapist and therapyee (honestly can't think of a better word for someone attending counselling right now, sorry :pac:) agree that it would be helpful.

Best of luck. :)

Folks, I'm in desperate need of assistance/ advice.

My mother's depression has gotten so low this past week. I'm beginning to fear for her safety and welfare at this point.

She is saying very peculiar things lately like that she feels "she has a serious chemical imbalance in her head".

She will not stop crying, she will only stay out of bed for a few hours at a time. She is barely eating, not looking after herself ect...

She has been referred to the HSE primary care for counselling but the appointment will not be coming up for another 6 weeks due to the waiting list.

I asked her to go to the psychiatric hospital last night but she refused.

She is willing to see a counsellor/ psychthearpist, but not as an inpatient in the hospital.

As you can see by the time of this post, 5am, i am quite concerned and don't know what to do about this situation.

I have never seen her hit so rock bottom like this before in all the years she has struggled with depression and her mental health.

I'm very concerned... What can I do in line of immediate supportive services?

I feel lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Folks, I'm in desperate need of assistance/ advice.

My mother's depression has gotten so low this past week. I'm beginning to fear for her safety and welfare at this point.

She is saying very peculiar things lately like that she feels "she has a serious chemical imbalance in her head".

She will not stop crying, she will only stay out of bed for a few hours at a time. She is barely eating, not looking after herself ect...

She has been referred to the HSE primary care for counselling but the appointment will not be coming up for another 6 weeks due to the waiting list.

I asked her to go to the psychiatric hospital last night but she refused.

She is willing to see a counsellor/ psychthearpist, but not as an inpatient in the hospital.

As you can see by the time of this post, 5am, i am quite concerned and don't know what to do about this situation.

I have never seen her hit so rock bottom like this before in all the years she has struggled with depression and her mental health.

I'm very concerned... What can I do in line of immediate supportive services?

I feel lost...

There's a counseling service provided by a company called Tivoli, that charge on a sliding scale:

http://www.tivoliinstitute.com/low-cost-counselling-and-psychotherapy-services-ireland.php

I'm sorry for the suffering yourself and your mother are going through. With the new found empathy in this country for the mentally ill, It might be time for us all to shout about the need for better services. 6 weeks is unacceptable!

I know they have a service in Galway city, not sure about Tuam

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There's a counseling service provided by a company called Tivoli, that charge on a sliding scale:

http://www.tivoliinstitute.com/low-cost-counselling-and-psychotherapy-services-ireland.php

I'm sorry for the suffering yourself and your mother are going through. With the new found empathy in this country for the mentally ill, It might be time for us all to shout about the need for better services. 6 weeks is unacceptable!

I know they have a service in Galway city, not sure about Tuam

Thanks, as per tuam, she used to attend there. They work through GP refferal only and are basically the old primary care services for the HSE for our area. We are now under the Headford district and this is where she is waiting for her refferal to come up in a few weeks time.

Unfortunately for us, it would appear she doesn't have a few weeks. She needs urgent attention. Im sure I may be able to find a counselling service in a reasonable timeframe but she herself as indicated that she feels she needs a proper psychiatric assessment as she has never felt this bad and never had as many intrusive negative irrational thoughts going on in her head.

It makes me very concerned to hear her say things like this. I'm going to try get her seen bu our GP later today so see is there any other recommendations he can make about seeing a psychiatrist within the next 48 hours..

Do that tivoli institution work out of Galway as well as dublin?

Subscriber, can you get to galway?. If so there is a group that do sliding scale counselling, there are psychologists in the office, i'll pm you details if you wish..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would suggest a GP personally (please remember though, this isn't a medical advice thread, we really aren't the best source for that). A GP will be able to assess things and possibly prescribe something like Xanax or stronger to stabilise the situation. I dunno, I'm not a GP. Genuinely though, if you think its an emergency, then a doc is the best way to go imho...

Subscriber, can you get to galway?. If so there is a group that do sliding scale counselling, there are psychologists in the office, i'll pm you details if you wish..

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I am getting her to the GP in two hours time. For the first time in all these years of her suffering depression, i do definitely identity this as an emergency as I feel she is grossly unstable at the moment.

Gremlinertia, we only live 6 miles outside the city. I can make it into the city with ease. Please feel free to PM.

Subscriber, pm sent, well done on getting the gp appointment quickly, fingers crossed for you both at a difficult and confusing time.. Stay strong.

• Advertisement

Just back from the GP. I had to attend the appointment with her to do most of the talking as she wasn't able to say much. He was able to prescribe her a valium based medication to help ease these intrusive thoughts she is having. Will need to monitor her now to see how successful or unsuccessful they will be. He is also getting in contact with the outpatient psychiatric services to see if he can get an app ASAP for her.

I was also in touch with proconsult in Galway City but unfortunately i did not find them very welcoming . Spoke to the therapist directly over the phone but she did not seem in any way concerned with much else than getting paid and said she would not be in a position to offer any low cost services as per our financial situation in our household so I just had to leave it....

Banking on outpatient psychiatric services coming through now..

Again....thanks everyone

Advertisement