Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

La.de.da wrote: »
    I feels a wee bit more sad and flat than the usual. Maybe it's cause I haven't seen or spoken to a soul since Christmas day.
    I think I am invisible to people. Trying not to let the thoughts become feelings but that old mr negative paranoia is taking over.

You're not invisible, people do love and care for you. Oftentimes people forget that when they hit a low patch, I've been like this myself on many occasions.

Things will always improve, never feel hopeless. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey La, from personal experience I can say that if I think like that a little I slowly shovel more of it on to me to add to the misery.. Misery loves company. Of more misery it seems. I've swung from bordering on panic to very paranoid which is pretty much a case in point over the course of the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

La de La.... I know this may sound pointless coming from us because when you feel like that you don't really care what people say because no matter what is said your mood doesnt magically revert to " normal" so what I will tell u is I am always do or say is 100% honest.

I absolutely dreaded Christmas 1 because it was too much time off to sit around and think my mood was very low and I hated myself because I couldn't be happy Xmas morning. 2. I was dreading leaving my home to do the family rounds 3 I had to go to the in-laws for dinner on Stephens day. All I could do was break it down to every minute and go through the motions. I got through it all and feel the better for it. I even invited a friend over for a cuppa last night. Why not start small like that and build yourself up very slowly? Just a suggestion.

I just want u to know u are never alone and never have to be I'm only a pm away. I know exactly how u feel and what your going through.

Don't fight it....guide it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That "misery loves company. Of more misery" line is a keeper! It perfectly summarises what I'm like when I'm down. I'll start to assign negative reasons why someone hasn't rung me or why someone didn't send me a card or something stupid. I used to sit there all p-ed off about it when the person in question was completely oblivious to what I was inventing in my head. If there was nothing to twist like that, I'd start *imagining* slights against me and get miserable about those? How nuts is that? LOL!

In the end, the only solution I've found is to fight that on the beaches. Full offensive against those thought, slap your hand on your knee and say "nope, we're not doing that" ... part of me would complain because there is nothing as lovely in some ways as a "pity party". But they leave me in a much worse place and now I try to cut off those thoughts at the pass. Moving on, getting up, not going there.
    Its hard as hell but its the only way to cut off that line of thinking because its going no where good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

DeVore wrote: »
    That "misery loves company. Of more misery" line is a keeper! It perfectly summarises what I'm like when I'm down. I'll start to assign negative reasons why someone hasn't rung me or why someone didn't send me a card or something stupid. I used to sit there all p-ed off about it when the person in question was completely oblivious to what I was inventing in my head. If there was nothing to twist like that, I'd start *imagining* slights against me and get miserable about those? How nuts is that? LOL!

In the end, the only solution I've found is to fight that on the beaches. Full offensive against those thought, slap your hand on your knee and say "nope, we're not doing that" ... part of me would complain because there is nothing as lovely in some ways as a "pity party". But they leave me in a much worse place and now I try to cut off those thoughts at the pass. Moving on, getting up, not going there.
    Its hard as hell but its the only way to cut off that line of thinking because its going no where good.

I struggle with those thoughts big-time. Has cost me friendships along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Thanks for your posts. The intrusive thoughts got too much. Did something a little silly but over n done now.

I don't think this lill episode so much of a pity party, mind you I can be quite good at hosting those for myself..... its a panicky more anxiety attack episode. A culmination of the last few weeks perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Haha your first paragraph was me last night. Then I came across a gorgeous picture with the tag line 'just let go' and I was able to. It's crazy how your mind can go into overdrive with thoughts.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My mate tells a great story about that sort of thinking... Theres a fella who wants to borrow his neighbours snazzy lawnmower but he convinces himself that the neighbour wont want to loan it to him because its new and snazzy. He dwells on this and dwells on it, its so unfair all he wants is a loan of a mower and that dirty fecker next door is too tight fisted a bastard to let him have even the use of it and didn't he loan him his own ladder the other week when he needed it. So he rings on the neighbours doorbell and when the neighbour answers the door, sticks two fingers up at him and shouts "YOU CAN STICK YOUR FNKCING LAWNMOWER UP YOUR ARSE""

That's me sometimes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

That first paragraph sounds just like me all Christmas.

It's crazy. I spent the week before the holidays looking forward to the time off. Now I'm sick of it.

Ineedaname wrote: »
    That first paragraph sounds just like me all Christmas.

It's crazy. I spent the week before the holidays looking forward to the time off. Now I'm sick of it.

Kinda of the same here. I differ slightly in that I'm not exactly sick of the time off, but I am getting increasingly bored and that is causing my mind to stir up trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The funniest thing is that we get angry at people for doing things that we're doing as well. I'd often be disappointed that somebody hasn't checked to see how I was doing even though I wouldn't have checked on anybody else.

I think the reason for this line of thinking is that while depressed you try to convince yourself that nobody cares. That way you can justify being depressed. Who wouldn't be depressed if nobody cared about them?

The angry thoughts and constant searching for reasons to be depressed are the hardest thing to shake I think. At the moment I seem to be free of any symptoms of depression but those thoughts are still there even on good days.

It really is vital to stop that thinking dead in its tracks as it can lead nowhere good. It can be difficult to stop that type of thinking when you're really down. The best thing to do might be to look at what about other people makes you angry and see if you can avoid doing those things yourself and be a better person. Efforts to improve oneself can only lead to good places I think.

Devore wrote a post a few weeks about how encouraging it is for people to post no matter where abouts in there dreaded "cycle" they are so I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

If you look at my recent posts I have had a horrid 2 and a half months and I was hopeless and in despair. I am on the highest dosage of venafaxine and pregablin ( I hope it's ok to mention meds) the increase in venafaxine worked with in a week and slowly I stopped being depressed but the horrible anxiety body trembling internal tremors,mind racing and fear and guilt over everything still remaind I actually could not stand people's voices. So...

I went to my doc and said I know what I need and want you need to prescribe me with valium of 4mg 3 times a day she's agreed and said she trusted me and thar we have Always been honest with each other. So off I popped with 6 weeks meds. The best thing I did it has really helped me and I can think rationally and the trembling and anxiety has decreased alot to a manageable amount. I even got to the gym today although I was breathing like darthvader after ten mind ha.

I also start cbt/mindfulness next week.
    Things are somewhat positive for me and I pray it continues. My Nye will be spent at home playing a video game or watching a movie.

My point is this YOU know what you need to beat an episode so don't stop until you get the help you know u need whether it's therapy or medication or both please keep going keep fighting as it does get better.

It worked for me but it may be different for you I can only say what has helped me.

Honestly if I can do it u can do...I'm good today I could be back to square one tomorrow I didn't want to be alive 2 weeks ago and now o am content which is where I like to be.

Ps I'm reading bressies book at the moment and it's excellent.

Keep safe,stay strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I went to my doc and said I know what I need and want you need to prescribe me with valium of 4mg 3 times a day she's agreed and said she trusted me and thar we have Always been honest with each other. So off I popped with 6 weeks meds. The best thing I did it has really helped me and I can think rationally and the trembling and anxiety has decreased alot to a manageable amount. I even got to the gym today although I was breathing like darthvader after ten mind ha.

Oh god just be SO careful with the benzos, they're frighteningly addictive, and the withdrawals are worse than with alcohol or heroin or anything (and I've witnessed all of them firsthand in hospital.)

The patients with benzo dependency were the worst - absolutely bewildered that they were being treated for addiction, because of something that had been legitimately prescribed by their own GP. The withdrawal process from alcohol/street drugs is bad, but it takes days - the physical symptoms of benzo withdrawal can take weeks to months.

And in saying that I'm on benzos at the moment, but only short-term to get me as far as 7th January when I'm being admitted to hospital for a few weeks. At that, I'm taking the minimum I need to function, certainly not near the prescribed dose (and that's what my GP recommended me to do.) Six weeks seems a very long time to be on Valium daily, and could very easily lead to dependency/addiction.

I'm no medical expert but I have a lot of education and experience with this sort of thing ... I realise Valium might be making things so much easier for you now, but becoming dependent on it could create far more difficult problems in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Hi , I don't post here very often , I used to about my son , who battles like everyone here on a daily basis to have the next few hours , the next day , be better than the one before it.

You all are such an inspiration and support for each other , and for all who read your posts but might not comment , you have gotten me through a lot in supporting my son over the years , without knowing it :)

My wish for everyone for the New Year is that everyone gets through these dark days that hit , as best ye can , and continue fighting as you all do so bravely , words might not seem like a lot but thank You all , and stay safe as best ye can x.

Gleeso I'm delighted for you... thats the best xmas pressie I've gotten and its put a big NYE smile on my face.
    Your dead right, do what you know you need to to get on and through.

Happy new year to everyone... think about this... 8 weeks time we'll be in the middle of spring!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

I took 5htp after anti - depressants made no difference. Noticed a difference almost immediately. Stopped taking them a while ago and the depression is creeping back. snip.

GFT wrote: »
    I took 5htp after anti - depressants made no difference. Noticed a difference almost immediately. Stopped taking them a while ago and the depression is creeping back. snip

What's htp?

(I read it as home pregnancy tests. I'm guessing that's not the case! :D )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

What's htp?

(I read it as home pregnancy tests. I'm guessing that's not the case! :D )

I was wondering the same thing until a quick google suggested that it's an over the counter supplement. I might look into that myself as it sounds like it could be quite helpful.

Wilberto wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing until a quick google suggested that it's an over the counter supplement. I might look into that myself as it sounds like it could be quite helpful.

Thinly veiled LMGTFY post! :p :pac:

All joking aside, I clicked on your link there and that stuff sounds promising. I must look into it too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Folks. Please don't be recommending medication to others. It's potentially dangerous. Boards has a strict no medical advice rule.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the thinly veiled lmgtfy stuff.

You're hilarious.

I was only asking. I'm a young single mum in a very vulnerable position mentally right now. Yeah I could've googled it. Sorry I didn't. I was obviously wrong not to, I just thought that since sometime had mentioned it, they'd obviously researched it and might be willing to explain it.

Yeah I feel like an idiot now. Objective achieved? Good job.

I was only asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

You're hilarious.

I was only asking. I'm a young single mum in a very vulnerable position mentally right now. Yeah I could've googled it. Sorry I didn't. I was obviously wrong not to, I just thought that since sometime had mentioned it, they'd obviously researched it and might be willing to explain it.

I was thinking of asking the same question. I didn't know it either. Also if we just googled everything rather than using boards there would a lot less posts so don't feel bad about asking.

I also don't think anyone was trying to be rude more that there were trying to be helpful bu answering ypir post. Maybe they were showing that they too didn't know much about this thus the need to use Google.

You're hilarious.

DD,

I honestly don't think he was being mean in his post there. I was only being cheeky by getting onto him.

You're certainly not an idiot and I don't think anyone here thinks that you are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

You're hilarious.

I seriously can't apologise enough that it came across that way. That's not the way I meant it to be viewed as at all. It's actually something like what Bridgettedon said in the sense that when I did google it I didn't know which of the links would be the most helpful, so I just decided to post the link to the google search instead. I never heard of those supplements before in my life either.

I'm really sorry you took me up that way. :(

Wilberto wrote: »
    I seriously can't apologise enough that it came across that way. That's not the way I meant it to be viewed as at all. It's actually something like what Bridgettedon said in the sense that when I did google it I didn't know which of the links would be the most helpful, so I just decided to post the link to the google search instead. I never heard of those supplements before in my life either.

I'm really sorry you took me up that way. :(

I'm sorry. Entirely my fault, it wouldn't be the first time I've taken something up the wrong way. :o It's just the way my head works right now, but I am working very hard to get myself sorted.

I get that you weren't trying to be mean or sarcastic, I just interpreted it completely wrong.

Friendies? :o

I'm sorry. Entirely my fault, it wouldn't be the first time I've taken something up the wrong way. :o It's just the way my head works right now, but I am working very hard to get myself sorted.

I get that you weren't trying to be mean or sarcastic, I just interpreted it completely wrong.

TBH, when I read it back after I realised that I could have phrased it so much better. :)

Of course! Virtual hug going your way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

I didn't recommend any medication ffs.

Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

GFT wrote: »
    I didn't recommend any medication ffs.

Get a life.

MOD

No one said you did so take it easy. PM the mod if you have an issue with the general thread warning.

Please don't reply to this

• Advertisement

Devore thank you so much for your kind wishes and comments.

Diamond doll me aul flower I have been on benzos before for year at a time and I know how to come off them but I really appreciate your advice and will fully take it on board. :) there are another 3 meds I'm on and I need to decrease first. Them and my weight are the main focus I have a plan put in place starting from tomorrow. It's not pretty but I have to put 100% effort in.

I would encourage anyone to speak to your doctor if you are considering using 5htp instead of anti depressants or any other form of mental health medications. What works for others may not work for you. Post what works for u but never recommended any medications or substitutes to anyone.

Mam of 4 great post. Hope your loved one is doing alot better and it is the perfect example as to why this thread can and is very helpful and a place of mental solidarity.

Keep safe stay strong folks

Advertisement