Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

La.de.da wrote: »
    Just in relation to the xanax (benzos) it's interesting to read about the prescribing of these in different parts of the country.

My own gp will only give three/four days worth at a time max and then to re reviewed. For which I'm greatful tbh.
    I suppose it is down to the individuals needs.

Are you on a medical card though? What if you're not, and are paying €60 each time, plus the cost of the meds (which in fairness, is pretty low.)

My GP (and he's great) has insisted on seeing me every 1-2 weeks for the past seven months, he's €55 each time. He's not doing it for the money - trust me! It's been out of genuine medical concern, but at the same time, he still has to charge.

And he's very reluctant to ever prescribe benzos, he has to sometimes though, as do some of my psychiatrists and other professionals I see.

Thankfully I should hopefully be getting a medical card soon. I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Are you on a medical card though? What if you're not, and are paying €60 each time, plus the cost of the meds (which in fairness, is pretty low.)

My GP (and he's great) has insisted on seeing me every 1-2 weeks for the past seven months, he's €55 each time. He's not doing it for the money - trust me! It's been out of genuine medical concern, but at the same time, he still has to charge.

And he's very reluctant to ever prescribe benzos, he has to sometimes though, as do some of my psychiatrists and other professionals I see.

Thankfully I should hopefully be getting a medical card soon. I hope!

I am. Was awarded it last year after a long battle with the hse. I hope you get it massive weight of the shoulders.

But even when I wasn't there were many many times when my gp would not have charged or would have phoned to check up. He believes benzos are only a very short term go to. Definitely help though when needed.

Any psychiatrist I've seen has been of the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Joya wrote: »
    I quit meds fully aboout a month ago, feel quite light-headed, easily forgetting things, as if I am high but not in a good way..

This is my third attempt to quit and go fully sober (no alcohol either or anything else) and I know about this from before.. this period in which the brain needs to readjust..

I decided not to go back to meds this time. I hope my brain will manage to balance itself somehow after a while... and to work and function in a meanwhile..

I suffered from Discontinuation Syndrome (i.e. withdrawal symptoms) any time I came off my meds. It didn't matter how slowly I came off them, or what method I used, whether I did it with my GP's assistance or not, it seems that Discontinuation Syndrome is inevitable. And the symptoms can mimic the symptoms of more serious conditions, so if you are at all prone to hypochondria, then this is likely to present some misguided, horrible health fears and anxiety for you.

Withdrawal symptoms can even begin as much as three or four months AFTER you stop taking your medication. Because of this, people often don't make the connection between the two. They think that they have succeeded in coming off the tablets because a few weeks or months have passed without any withdrawal symptoms.

Everything I have just said is written on the patient information leaflet of the medication that I take. I have a feeling that it is only a new addition to the medication advice. As a matter of fact, many GPs are actually unaware of this information. I know this from experience.

I hope everything is going well for you and I wish you all the best. It's much better to be armed with the right information, and the fact is that your GP won't always give it to you, and/or is unaware of it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

It's a hard feeling to kick. *bro-hugs*
    There should be way more bro hugs in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I might give it a shot writing a note to the doctor about I wouldn't be able to express it in the same way talking. Just nervous about it and if I had to tell people about it after. Always like to avoid problems or deal with them myself not getting anyone involved hate being asked to many questions.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

From my own personal experience, getting it out and talking to someone is a huge help. For years, I never felt good enough. It has ruined relationships with women I've loved. It's affected my work, my friendships, everything I've ever had. My own little saying used to be 'hope for nothing, cause when you get nothing you've gotten exactly what you hoped for'.
    Then last year, I decided that I needed to finally go see someone. So, I did. And the change has been huge for me. I have confidence for the first time. I go exercising and stick to it. I've even enrolled in a college course for this September, which for me personally, is huge!
    So don't just hold it all inside, get it out and tell someone. Trust me, it will change your world.

This ^^^^^^^^^^. And buckets of it.

Change only really happened for me when I got well and truly hacked off and angry with the continuing situation. I got my properly-thick head on me and got stuck into doing something about it. Before then I couldn't get motivated to do anything about it. My diet was a wreck, so bad that when I sent my friend who is a qualified dietician a week's food diary on her request, she *rang* me because she felt it was so urgent. I remember her saying "Tom, everything you ate on Thursday was made by Rowntrees". :/

So get angry, get hacked off and then use that to motivate you. Stop thinking and just put your head down and go for it. No more debate.

Talking to someone should be the first port of call. Someone you trust. It was the biggest single change for me. It made the most difference. I stopped pretending I was ok and talked to a couple of close friends who I knew could deal with me telling them deeply personal things.

Once I had done that it was an upward spiral. I just got sick and angry of not having my life to myself and putting up with this bullsh*t and I did ALL THE THINGS. I went to counselling, I exercised, I ate better (that wasn't hard!) I didn't do all of these things religiously but I didn't stop and debate them either. I took a Shock and Awe approach to just fncking killing this thing that was trying to kill me.

Its you enemy. It wants you to suffer and it is amazingly good at getting what it wants but it NEEDS you compliance. Its a bully and when you stand up to it, it wont seem nearly as big any more.

But yeah, talking to someone is the first step. Then fight.

I might give it a shot writing a note to the doctor about I wouldn't be able to express it in the same way talking. Just nervous about it and if I had to tell people about it after. Always like to avoid problems or deal with them myself not getting anyone involved hate being asked to many questions.

I do this sometimes, writing a note.

Saves me kicking myself afterwards about all the things I meant to say, or worded wrong!

A doctor isn't a therapist. Writing it all down is a great way to get all the facts across that you want to get across. Then s/he can refer you onwards for the best and most relevant care.

Will the doctor ask many personal questions thats the one thing I want to avoid or maybe a counsellor is better to go to instead of a doctor. I just feel like my doctor knows me too much and the whole family. The last time I felt similar I went to a college doctor because I hadn't met them before found it easier but I'm not there anymore.

Will the doctor ask many personal questions thats the one thing I want to avoid or maybe a counsellor is better to go to instead of a doctor. I just feel like my doctor knows me too much and the whole family. The last time I felt similar I went to a college doctor because I hadn't met them before found it easier but I'm not there anymore.

You are NOT obliged to tell the doctor anything you don't want to tell, similarly you are NOT obliged to undergo any physical exams you don't feel comfortable with. In my experience, doctors are actually very understanding with both these things and don't get annoyed or exasperated.

Yes, they may ask the questions. You don't need to answer, but it would be good to explain why you don't want to answer, and this might help your doctor point you in the right direction.

My own opinion would be to find a good GP who is NOT your family doctor. Of course, doctor-patient confidentiality should be assumed, but it's just not easy pouring your heart out to a doctor knowing your mum or dad or sibling might be in there the next day.

I'm not sure how to find a new doctor for it or I might try to see my old counsellor in her clinic I had in college. Might try the gp tomorrow if I get the courage to bring it up at the time bring a note with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Something is off. I didn't cry for months even sometimes I needed to release that emotion, no tears but cried on Friday and have cried every day since. I feel guilty because I'm worrying my mom.. Don't know what is wrong with me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Makapakka wrote: »
    Something is off. I didn't cry for months even sometimes I needed to release that emotion, no tears but cried on Friday and have cried every day since. I feel guilty because I'm worrying my mom.. Don't know what is wrong with me.

Sometimes the floodgates open and they don't shut for a little bit. There's nothing wrong with that, maybe you could explain it that way to your mum? Of course it's her job to worry but you'll help put her mind at ease a bit. With any luck the crying will ease off shortly and if there's anything on your mind you're in the right place for a rant..

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Sometimes the floodgates open and they don't shut for a little bit. There's nothing wrong with that, maybe you could explain it that way to your mum? Of course it's her job to worry but you'll help put her mind at ease a bit. With any luck the crying will ease off shortly and if there's anything on your mind you're in the right place for a rant..

My self esteem has hit a brick wall. I hate myself again and don't know how or why it was triggered?? Just keep thinking why don't people like me, how could people like me, why don't I love myself?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh gosh self-esteem, that's something the irish as a nation are good at neglecting.. Very recently in this thread the merit of writing notes to yourself was mentioned - it's worth a look, posts by DeVore in the last two or three pages i believe. Try not to let the thoughts swamp you, distract if you can with reading, puzzles, walks, music basically whatever does it for you. I'll be floating about for the night so posting here too if you want..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭getaroom

My name is Getaroom. Im 50. I’m a Depressive. I don’t know for how long I have been this way, but it took hold last September or October. My issues are different to the other posters here on this Thread as they are different from similar threads on Boards.

When I’m down I’m down. And I’m down. I have not slept for more than an hour continuous in the last 13 days despite my access to medication. I have sought the intervention of my GP and a Therapist. My Therapist would be the first to admit that she got more out of my visits than I got out of attending them. “I’m complicated” was a phrase used quite a bit.

I think too much, this I know. I have always been the first to offer assistance and help to anyone who needed it. So it’s a bit of an anomaly that I find myself in a set of circumstances where I need help. I found considerable assistance and compassion in the A and D Forum. I shall miss its demise. Those that I want to thank know who they are so I won’t mention their names.

It’s a sad and sorry set of affairs that not enough is being done to help people in distress. Not enough is being done to end the stigma of mental health. I’ve had to acknowledge that I’m now being labelled. If I were to die tomorrow in an accident It would be mentioned in the coroners court that I had a mental illness.

There is no Bressie for the over fifties. We are on our own. Anyone who states anything else does not understand that the needs or requirements along with the responsibilities of a fifty year old male.

On that note, I won’t be posting here any more. I was going to close my account but I have welcomed and would like to continue to receive non-judgemental correspondence from the friends I have met here. I hope my posts were a positive input to the Forums. They certainly were of assistance to me.

Stay well and stay safe.

Kind regards

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Getaroom, I hope you find peace. I believe you will. You deserve it. We all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I have been driving myself up the walls with anxiety and stress over medical things.
    No matter what the outcome is it was only ever be "less bad"?
    I have to wait, maybe for a month before I get the worst possibility crossed off.
    Is this how people waiting to hear back from cancer results feel? I feel so much for those people.
    I can't bear think of the worst scenario at all, I don't think I would cope.
    Listen, I know there is not point in worrying or stressing till I see a neurologist but please, my brain does not give a feck about logic.
    Going to throw myself into work and try and treat myself to distract.

failinis wrote: »
    I have been driving myself up the walls with anxiety and stress over medical things.
    I have to wait, maybe for a month before I get the worst possibility crossed off.
    Is this how people waiting to hear back from cancer results feel? I feel so much for those people.
    Listen, I know there is not point in worrying or stressing till I see a neurologist but please, my brain does not give a feck about logic.

All i can honestly say is I'm thinking of you. I was pinned to the wall with a 'one or the other' prognosis some years back, i lucked out it was a third less debilitating condition but those weeks of fear still echo in my mind.. If you do one thing try to look after yourself well with diet and rest.. It'll help with whatever fight you have on your hands.

Saw the doctor today as everyone suggested she was really nice about it , I think she sensed something was wrong before I even told her when she was asking how I was etc. I wrote what I had here on a note and gave it to her. Said I seemed to have depression and put me on lexapro have to go back to her next month. She was helping saying which family member would be good to talk to about it she knows the whole family even said she'd phone one of them herself if I wanted to and to go a councillor next month to get assessed to maybe get a psychiatrist & vocational training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

If I just may extend my warmest regards to the many sufferers in this thread who have been brave enough to put their feelings to their finger tips. Its not the writing, its the courage it takes to be objectively observant of yourself without denying whats going on inside each of you.
    I've battled depression twice before, hopefully and likely it wont happen again.
    I hope for each of you that you are kind to yourselves, keep talking about your difficulties, have no shame about being human, and search for the help you need to help yourselves. From great books like "Your Erroneous Zones" for cognitive understanding and control of your emotions, to learning to sit with pain with compassion as described by "The Happiness Trap".

I once read "The measure of a healthy person is not whether they get sick, its how they help themselves recover".

Kindest wishes for you all to treat yourselves with relentless compassion as you would for any of your loved ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

manonboard wrote: »
    If I just may extend my warmest regards to the many sufferers in this thread who have been brave enough to put their feelings to their finger tips. Its not the writing, its the courage it takes to be objectively observant of yourself without denying whats going on inside each of you.
    I've battled depression twice before, hopefully and likely it wont happen again.
    I hope for each of you that you are kind to yourselves, keep talking about your difficulties, have no shame about being human, and search for the help you need to help yourselves. From great books like "Your Erroneous Zones" for cognitive understanding and control of your emotions, to learning to sit with pain with compassion as described by "The Happiness Trap".

I once read "The measure of a healthy person is not whether they get sick, its how they help themselves recover".

Kindest wishes for you all to treat yourselves with relentless compassion as you would for any of your loved ones.

That's a lovely post, MOB. Thank you for that. :)

You know, just my opinion, you don't have to be an active sufferer to post in these kind of threads on Boards. If you feel like throwing in your two cents on a topic, or even just having an auld natter, you'd be more than welcome to. :)

You have described, to a tee, the very position that I have found myself in many times over the years.

Healthy anxiety, especially when you're a hypochondriac, is a vicious, horrible affliction.

I feel for you. It's a nasty situation to be in.

And of course it is better to be suffering from anxiety than to be suffering from a terminal illness or a nasty condition of some sort. I am not comparing the two. But I am merely saying that healthy anxiety is an absolute demon, and it completely and entirely takes over your entire body and mind, and your entire life, for extended, miserable periods of time.

I wish you all the best, failinis. I know that the current experience you are having probably feels like it will drag on forever, but it will be over in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Sadly it is not hypocondria.

Either I have a really nasty genetic disorder which ends up killing you young, another brain disorder of a similar nature, or me and some close blood relations have a never seen before genetic disorder. All those are not nice options.

How ever I felt the same. I was "healthy" yet sick and no one ever believed me really. Its gone down hill the past 3yrs and I saved to go see someone private.
    The private Dr. is the one who picked up on the neurological symptoms I have had (which have been worsening) and also said my previous diagnosis of a certain Syndrome (me and my brother were told we had it) was incorrect. We had the physical body traits of that syndrome but not the internal features (apparently this "physical look" is common in connective tissue disorders) and that even if I do have the syndrome he thinks I do - that my other symptoms are not easily explained, unless its its another genetic style of thing.
    My brother is having severe and odd symptoms which they think is a unknown genetic disorder as well, by his own different doctors.

But yes. Exactly. It is a horrible limbo. I have calmed down a lot in the past few days thanks to friends and boards people. Thank you all.

DareGod wrote: »
    You have described, to a tee, the very position that I have found myself in many times over the years.

Healthy anxiety, especially when you're a hypochondriac, is a vicious, horrible affliction.

And of course it is better to be suffering from anxiety than to be suffering from a terminal illness or a nasty condition of some sort. I am not comparing the two. But I am merely saying that healthy anxiety is an absolute demon, and it completely and entirely takes over your entire body and mind, and your entire life, for extended, miserable periods of time.

I wish you all the best, failinis. I know that the current experience you are having probably feels like it will drag on forever, but it will be over in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I am really struggling at the moment. I am just going around with this pain hanging over me day in and day out,

It doesn't help when my job is extremely stressful and I am finding it hard to care anymore.

Every morning I feel a horrible sense of dread where I am just thinking what is the point of all this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I suffered from Discontinuation Syndrome (i.e. withdrawal symptoms) any time I came off my meds. It didn't matter how slowly I came off them, or what method I used, whether I did it with my GP's assistance or not, it seems that Discontinuation Syndrome is inevitable. And the symptoms can mimic the symptoms of more serious conditions, so if you are at all prone to hypochondria, then this is likely to present some misguided, horrible health fears and anxiety for you.

Withdrawal symptoms can even begin as much as three or four months AFTER you stop taking your medication. Because of this, people often don't make the connection between the two. They think that they have succeeded in coming off the tablets because a few weeks or months have passed without any withdrawal symptoms.

Everything I have just said is written on the patient information leaflet of the medication that I take. I have a feeling that it is only a new addition to the medication advice. As a matter of fact, many GPs are actually unaware of this information. I know this from experience.

I hope everything is going well for you and I wish you all the best. It's much better to be armed with the right information, and the fact is that your GP won't always give it to you, and/or is unaware of it themselves.

After getting off benzos I had excruciating facial neuralgia attacks for 15 years. Three days of utter agony. Well documented apparently. Glad to hear dr are wary of prescribing them now. In my day it was normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I am really struggling at the moment. I am just going around with this pain hanging over me day in and day out,

It doesn't help when my job is extremely stressful and I am finding it hard to care anymore.

Every morning I feel a horrible sense of dread where I am just thinking what is the point of all this

I know exactly how you feel. Struggle to get out of bed, just keep thinking why bother. I know it's easier said than done but try find one thing that makes you want to keep going. Anything at all, that offers one bit of hope and focus on that. Tell yourself that you will use that and when you feel that pain hanging over you, use your reason as a painkiller of sorts, if that makes sense. I've used something like how well I've done in the gym to help me stop thinking about the things I don't want to think about and it has worked for me. Hopefully, something like that can you work for you. You're so much a better person than you might currently think you are. I don't even know you and I know that that is true of you

Sadly it is not hypocondria.

Apologies for the assumption.

Either I have a really nasty genetic disorder which ends up killing you young, another brain disorder of a similar nature, or me and some close blood relations have a never seen before genetic disorder. All those are not nice options.

How ever I felt the same. I was "healthy" yet sick and no one ever believed me really. Its gone down hill the past 3yrs and I saved to go see someone private.
    The private Dr. is the one who picked up on the neurological symptoms I have had (which have been worsening) and also said my previous diagnosis of a certain Syndrome (me and my brother were told we had it) was incorrect. We had the physical body traits of that syndrome but not the internal features (apparently this "physical look" is common in connective tissue disorders) and that even if I do have the syndrome he thinks I do - that my other symptoms are not easily explained, unless its its another genetic style of thing.
    My brother is having severe and odd symptoms which they think is a unknown genetic disorder as well, by his own different doctors.

But yes. Exactly. It is a horrible limbo. I have calmed down a lot in the past few days thanks to friends and boards people. Thank you all.

I'm sorry to hear all this. Whatever the outcome, I hope you get all the various types of support that you need. Keep us updated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I have this as well. It's awful. People seem to see hypochondria as a bit of a joke, but it really isn't funny at all. I had a scan the other day and was in absolute bits about it, didn't sleep at all the whole night before. Brought back a lot of horrible memories from when I was having regular scans and tests, convinced that there was something seriously wrong and I was dying. Lost a lot of my twenties like this. I'm not normally an anxious person, I'm pretty laidback, but I've always suffered with health anxiety. You have my sympathy.

collymcd wrote: »
    I wrote this article on depression a while back. Lots of people found it quite useful on social media etc. Might be worth a look for some people.

Depression article

Your article is informative however I believe your treatment explanations to be biased towards psychotherapy. The statistics you referenced are correct. Yet the way each therapy type is worded definitely paints psychotherapy in a more favourable light. This isn't fair. Plenty of people will receive a lot of help and resources from engaging in CBT. As I'm sure you are aware there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to individuals and their mental health.

You also forgot to mention psychoanalysis as a possible method. Dialectical Behavioural Therapy is primarily offered to those with a diagnosis of a borderline structure but it also has a place I believe in the treatment of depression. I just feel a bit more balance would be useful for people.

• Advertisement

collymcd wrote: »

I do not agree that 'balance' would be helpful. Why pretend that all are balanced, or equal, when they are not? Research and clinical experience says otherwise.

Because what works for one individual may not work for others.

Advertisement