Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Balfie wrote: »
    Why cause its a serious subject that affects hundreds of people in our country every year.

Or is it cause you personally don't like too talk about serious subjects?

There's things that are talked about all the time on boards in multiple threads over multiple forums. Yet "One of these is enough" when it comes to suicide?

Maybe this has been seen by "One" person and they realised they have someone to talk to!

Hmm car crashes affect lots of people.
    Cancer affects lots of people.

Open up another thread about it sure, 2 isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Saw this thread, and it reminded me of a wonderful chapter in a book by called 'Breaking the Bonds' by Dorothy Rowe. It's not exactly easy reading - that chapter, but I'd recommend it, but essentially as part of the whole book - which is an enlightened and enlightening publication.

A member of our extended family committed suicide 6 years ago. He was a lovely and popular young man - and though it's a cliche, I have to say, that you'd never have imagined that he would choose such an option. We don't understand it, and the biggest heartache is the knowledge that if only he'd asked...so many people would have been there for him, only too willing to offer any help that he may have required.

You know - even online - even on places like this site - you can find people who care. Please don't suffer in silence; talk to someone - the Samaritans and other groups are best, because they know what they're talking about - but in any event, talk to SOMEONE. You don't have to put up with all the crap on your own - there are others who will help you shoulder your burden, and in time, it really is possible that things can get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

good charlotte would be more the cause of people wanting to kill themselves i would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Threads Merged

Merged, good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Sisko wrote: »
    Indeed but you appear to be under the assumption that people must be going through something messed up to feel that way.
    So what, you think suicide is some sort of a natural means of expression or something? If someone is thinking about suicide, things are very definetely messed up.

What a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Samich wrote: »
    Hmm car crashes affect lots of people.
    Cancer affects lots of people.

Open up another thread about it sure, 2 isn't enough.

I think you need to take a step back for a second and look at the type of posts you are making.

The general consensus of this thread is "Ireland has a high rate of suicide and if more people talked about it, it may very well help the situation".

And you come in giving out that people are talking about it?

Comparing it to cancer and car crashes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

2nd op is raging the threads were merged, no piggy back thanks for you son!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This song is a really powerful song. In the middle it breaks up to hear people who have lost people to suicide.

A guy says "Its not the right order of things, you're not supposed to bury your children, they are supposed to bury you"

Think about the people that really care about you. The ones who will be left behind.

Please please talk to someone. It should never be an option.

This affects alot of people every year. The reason I posted it here in After Hours is because I know it will be seen by ALOT of people.

Thanks for listening.

I must say I'm a little uneasy about people posting music videos alongside a relatively superficial discussion of suicide as seen in that music video.

Experiencing the effects of suicide is nothing like living through a Dawson's Creek episode; it isn't a matter to be glamourized. I don't think videos like that help anybody; I think there's a danger that if anything, they only add to some morbid romanticism that some very lonely and vulnerable people may feel toward suicide.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    So what, you think suicide is some sort of a natural means of expression or something? If someone is thinking about suicide, things are very definetely messed up.

What a discussion.

Natural means of expression!? The hell?

No, I was merely commenting on the conclusion that :

Happy person + horrible event = suicidal person

and that is the only formula that there is for a suicidal person. I was just saying its not always as clear cut as that.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    I think you need to take a step back for a second and look at the type of posts you are making.

The general consensus of this thread is "Ireland has a high rate of suicide and if more people talked about it, it may very well help the situation".

And you come in giving out that people are talking about it?

Comparing it to cancer and car crashes?

Yes?

So people who are depressed, know they are depressed (i.e talk in this thread).
    Yet these people who know they are depressed are in danger of taking their own life?

People who know they're depressed are unlikely to kill themselves imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

That will only add to his depression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Thanks whoring at its finest.
    kudos.

Thanks whoring at its finest.
    kudos.

Who is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Of course people who know they are depressed take their lives, why would they be different? People may have suffered with depression for years, know exactly what they are experiencing and still take their lives.

The point of discussing it is also for education, so that people are better informed about suicide, just in case they are unfortunate enough to encounter it in their lives, either themselves or through someone they care about.

Merged, good.
    Yes?

Yet these people who know they are depressed are in danger of taking their own life?

:eek:

Wow.

*backs out of thread slowly*

I feel bad for the people trying to discuss things seriously in this thread who have now had this cluster**** merged with it completely wrecking their previous discussions.

If I wanted my posts in this thread I would have posted here. I'm out.

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Of course people who know they are depressed take their lives, why would they be different? People may have suffered with depression for years, know exactly what they are experiencing and still take their lives.

The point of discussing it is also for education, so that people are better informed about suicide, just in case they are unfortunate enough to encounter it in their lives, either themselves or through someone they care about.

Would just lead to more depression I think.

When are you most depressed........when you're on you're own? Yes?

When are you on your own? On your computer. On this thread.

More depression.

If someone is depressed let them go speak to a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Yes?

^^

If that is your opinion you are certainly entitled to it.

My opinion is that knowing you are depressed doesn't make life any easier.

People who are depressed have good days, bad days and maybe many days of nothingness.

Your opinion is rather ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Merged, good.

Fair play to ya, ya got your wish. Delighted for ya.

If you think that I posted that, for thanks on boards. You have seriously some thinking about yourself to do. Raging that people are talking about suicide? In one thread or the other, anywhere.

Post makes me a bit sick to be honest.

foxinsox wrote: »
    ^^

If that is your opinion you are certainly entitled to it.

My opinion is that knowing you are depressed doesn't make life any easier.

People who are depressed have good days, bad days and maybe many days of nothingness.

Your opinion is rather ridiculous imo.

Just because my opinion isn't the majority doesn't make me wrong.

Not to forget that "you've never suffered from depression so don't know what it's like" card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Just because my opinion isn't the majority doesn't make me wrong.

Not to forget that "you've never suffered from depression so don't know what it's like" card.

Nothing to do with your opinion not being in the majority, you're perfectly entitled to think whatever you want.

It was just a ridiculous thing to say with no facts whatsoever to back it up.

I've never used that "card" and certainly wouldn't attempt to ever use it.

But I will say, your posts are very out of whack with the general discussion in this thread and I have no idea what you are trying to achieve by posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Was out in Flannery's tonight with a few of my friends,I hate the place but I ended up talking to a really nice girl for ages,went to the bar to get us both a drink and came back to find her wearing the face off one of my friends.

I don't know why I even bother with life anymore.Just seems so pointless,it's not really life being this depressed and lonely all the time anyway.

Perhaps you would benefit from a new social network to make new connections. You sound very much like someone I know who felt the same. He was introduced to a new social scene by a room mate and he has been extremely happy ever since. Some people can find the monotony of their current social connections to be a downer and it might benefit you to get out on your own a bit. There are tons of ways to do this.

foxinsox wrote: »
    Nothing to do with your opinion not being in the majority, you're perfectly entitled to think whatever you want.

It was just a ridiculous thing to say with no facts whatsoever to back it up.

I've never used that "card" and certainly wouldn't attempt to ever use it.

But I will say, your posts are very out of whack with the general discussion in this thread and I have no idea what you are trying to achieve by posting here.

If this was posted in PI there wouldn't be half as many replies.

Why is that? Don't say it's because this is more viewed here.

Because if I was depressed, I would certainly view PI and not view a forum mostly asscociated with jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Maybe you just don't know what the triggers are yet ? What triggers have you looked for ?

Everything I could think of. Got loads of books on the topic, help from professionals etc. I get affected by life events sure, but I've no definite pattern in triggers for psychosis particularly and depressive episodes. My depressions normally follow a seasonal pattern but that's about it. I've had exceptions to this though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

If you think that I posted that, for thanks on boards. You have seriously some thinking about yourself to do. Raging that people are talking about suicide? In one thread or the other, anywhere.

Post makes me a bit sick to be honest.

I'm having seriously some thinking about myself to do right now.

I thought your post was redundant and unctuous in tone. It's just my opinion, don't fret about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

If this was posted in PI there wouldn't be half as many replies.

Why is that? Don't say it's because this is more viewed here.

Because if I was depressed, I would certainly view PI and not view a forum mostly asscociated with jokes.

Youve been banned from this thread previously , and since the other one has been merged, do not post here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

nesf wrote: »
    Everything I could think of. Got loads of books on the topic, help from professionals etc. I get affected by life events sure, but I've no definite pattern in triggers for psychosis particularly and depressive episodes. My depressions normally follow a seasonal pattern but that's about it. I've had exceptions to this though.

Do you get any physical complaints too ? GI upset, achy joints or stuff like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Do you get any physical complaints too ? GI upset, achy joints or stuff like that ?

With psychosis none. With depression some somatic stuff alright. Not always present though, I can have depressions with no physical complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

has anyone heard of Holotropic Breathwork? I heard an interview on the radio last week from a man who suffered from chronic depression for many years until a Holotropic Breathwork practitioner in Ireland took him on as a patient. It was a total success. link

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    With psychosis none. With depression some somatic stuff alright. Not always present though, I can have depressions with no physical complaints.

Sometimes I might feel absolutely exhausted, where I just can't be bothered to do anything, but I wouldn't feel any physical effects whatsoever.

Advertisement