Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

Ah well we would be here all day and night if we were to debate the efficacy of psychoanalysis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Not sure if this is the right thread so mods if i'm wrong sorry, I'm sure many of you will have seen Kanye West's rants of late, A thought occur ed to me today that the coverage of it really highlights societies issue with tackling mental illness, i know some will probably point out that West has always been egotistical and a narcissist but the stuff in the last few weeks is another level, the man clearly has serious issues and what i find disturbing is people treating it like some sort of comedy, the rantings of a clearly disturbed man are seen as something to poke fun at and to antagonize further outbursts. Just thought it has highlighted the ignorance and terrible attitude the media and some people have around mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Not sure if this is the right thread so mods if i'm wrong sorry, I'm sure many of you will have seen Kanye West's rants of late, A thought occur ed to me today that the coverage of it really highlights societies issue with tackling mental illness, i know some will probably point out that West has always been egotistical and a narcissist but the stuff in the last few weeks is another level, the man clearly has serious issues and what i find disturbing is people treating it like some sort of comedy, the rantings of a clearly disturbed man are seen as something to poke fun at and to antagonize further outbursts. Just thought it has highlighted the ignorance and terrible attitude the media and some people have around mental illness.

I disagree with your post, because everyone believes his outbursts and rantings are all an act, and are therefore nothing to be concerned about. Nobody believes he's being serious. Well, I haven't come across anyone who believes that he is being serious. How are we to know one way or another, anyway? I think "It's all an act" is an extremely fair and rational assumption to make, in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Yes you are describing meditation there. I am very familiar with it. However it alone is not going to help those who have serious mental health problems. In fact that level of focus can be terrifying for some and requires a fair bit of practice for others.

I think in general most people could benefit from this type of mindfulness. I think it helps me to be feel more free as I am less critical towards others and myself. I think mindfulness can make a person's life a better place to be.

It can have huge benefits. However I was on meds for a year and received months of cbt before I was introduced to this type of mindfulness. I think if I had been told the above on my first day of my treatment, I would not have been impressed.

I think in general most people could benefit from this type of mindfulness. I think it helps me to be feel more free as I am less critical towards others and myself. I think mindfulness can make a person's life a better place to be.

It can have huge benefits. However I was on meds for a year and received months of cbt before I was introduced to this type of mindfulness. I think if I had been told the above on my first day of my treatment, I would not have been impressed.

Oh absolutely! I'm a big fan of it. I just don't believe mindfulness alone is enough for some types of issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Hi, I've recently given up gluten (no breads / pasta etc - lots on google on it ) and have noticed a dramatic boost in my mood and energy.

It takes a bit of planning but it means some spuds / rice etc for a few days to see if you feel better. Please give it a try, I was astonished.

I'm grain sensitive - but not a celiac it seems :-) very pleased to have found this out by myself.

Just one article I found when I googled for link between gluten and .... Depression comes up straight away

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201410/is-gluten-causing-your-depression

Please research diet to make sure you get enough nourishment if you give up grains. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

worded wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently given up gluten (no breads / pasta etc - lots on google on it ) and have noticed a dramatic boost in my mood and energy.

It takes a bit of planning but it means some spuds / rice etc for a few days to see if you feel better. Please give it a try, I was astonished.

I'm grain sensitive - but not a celiac it seems :-) very pleased to have found this out by myself.

Just one article I found when I googled for link between gluten and .... Depression comes up straight away

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201410/is-gluten-causing-your-depression

Please research diet to make sure you get enough nourishment if you give up grains. Thanks

I was thought to be coelic but turns out it is just IBS and gluten intolerence.
    I am not 100% gluten free diet but have cut back and noticed engery and mood changes.
    If anyone thinks they could be intolerent give it a go for a bit (but consult a dr before hand).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

worded wrote: »

I you ask physicians the benefit is most commonly not from the fact that you arent eating gluten but that not eating gluten forces you to eat better over all. Its a roundabout way at the solution. Gluten isnt the devil, crappy foods are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gluten is very bad for my mood and stress levels.

Every time I hear about non celiac gluten intolerance I want to bang my head against a wall... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Got some sad news this morning. One of my clients passed away last night. A lot of my clients are like friends I don't see too often. I went to see him two weeks ago , but he knew he had been given only days to live. What is kind of sad (for me), is that as soon as he was told he had days to live, he said to his wife to contact my dad (who works with me) and said "John will look after all my financial stuff, he knows everything I have". I think he was still shocked from the news, because even when we called over he kept saying "now john and Oran will look after my stuff".

I am helping (as his financial broker) to put all his financial stuff together and to be honest its upsetting to see somebody pass and to be helping a grieving family get their stuff together. I had a small cry earlier today because it can be extremely sobering to be dealing with death, even at a bit of a distance. In the past I would of been upset and wouldn't of known how to express/deal with this powerful emotion.

I don't feel like I can cry on front of my wife because I think she doesn't know how to deal with it and sometimes laughs when she sees me get sad. Before anybody says anything, she is extremely supportive to me, its this one particular area she really doesn't know how to respond. I don't have any anger at all, but I find it better to share something like this in these sort of forums.

I spend so much of my life worrying and fearing what has happened in my life and what is coming down the line, that I forget people die and get terrible news everyday. Its not that I need to take it all on board, its more I am trying to be more mindful of life. My life. For all the things I fear, I fear most never really living. I fear lost time. I fear regrets when I am older.

I am trying to enjoy simple things, the weather, a tree blowing in the wind, my children playing/interacting and sometimes that makes a great day. Sometimes I feel anxious for no obvious reason and start to dread everything in life. This morning I stayed in bed longer then normally. I am aware that I don't want to spiral down into that self pity, life is horrible trend.

For today, its enough for me to share this with the rest of you folk, who like me, are desperately searching for a solution to everyday pains. Take care everybody and remember today is life, tomorrow hasn't happened and yesterday wont change no matter how much you think about it. Live life now if its painful, live life now if its good, live life now if is ok. I am trying/practicing living life as it happens instead of living it mostly in my head/imagination. Its not easy and doesn't come quickly, but its possible. I used to be on all sorts of medication (zanex, anti Depressants, sleeping tablet) and I don't need any of these anymore. It wasn't easy and didn't change quickly. In the past I would of wanted to run physically/mentally, away from the hurt I feel right now, but through support networks and hard work, I can deal with this right now. I am sad, but I don't want to run from the pain. If I can do it, every one of you reading/writing on this forum can do it. Its not easy, but please believe me you can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sorry to hear that, Drumpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Calibos wrote: »
    Gluten is very bad for my mood and stress levels.

Every time I hear about non celiac gluten intolerance I want to bang my head against a wall... :D

? I was suspected celiac but biopsies say I am not, however I have horrible reactions of gluten so I was told I was non celiac gluten intolerant?
    (I can't read if your post is saying how do people have that or that you are not mocking it, words online are not the best carrier of feelings).

I am sorry to hear about that as well Drumpot, some strong solid words as well.

Just having a bit of a rant here.

Tough day today.

I'm very anxious in work lately. People there know I'm of a very anxious disposition yet they keep at me. If I knew someone was anxious, I wouldn't be making critical comments to them or busting their balls. I came close to both crying and quitting today.

I've been going through a bit of an asocial phase the last few months in work. Mainly on lunchbreaks though, the rest of the time I'll happily chat to everyone. Thankfully I have the excuse of being a smoker to explain away my heading outside on lunch. That being said, I can definitely see a rise in different treatment towards me though. I fear I've dug myself into a bit of a hole now.

The sad thing is that I know I'M the problem here. It's always been like this everywhere I've ever worked. I'm so stubborn though, I hate the situation I'm in but don't do anything to change it. A Grade A fuppup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Been referred to St Pats this morning but I'm still waiting to hear if there's a bed for me tonight or if I'll be waiting a few days. My psychiatrist was cautiously optimistic of me being admitted today, but the waiting around and wondering is very annoying. I can't ring them and ask because I already did a couple of hours ago and they were still processing it. :o I don't want to be annoying them.

I'm not going to pack a bag as I'll get all agitated then if I end up not being admitted. Main thing though is that I'll have to figure out transport in to the hospital if I do get the call, if I at least knew one way or another I could get working on that. Can't afford a taxi and can't think of anyone who could give me a lift, so I guess it'll be public transport, and I'm really in no state of mind for that.

Sorry. I'm just a bit panicky and I hate uncertainty when I'm feeling this way. If I knew I was going to be home alone tonight, at least I could start preparing for that.

I had a shower so at least I'll have that much out of the way, if I do go in, I can't help feeling I've jinxed it now though and there won't be a bed! My mind works so weird when I'm like this ...

Been referred to St Pats this morning but I'm still waiting to hear if there's a bed for me tonight or if I'll be waiting a few days. My psychiatrist was cautiously optimistic of me being admitted today, but the waiting around and wondering is very annoying. I can't ring them and ask because I already did a couple of hours ago and they were still processing it. :o I don't want to be annoying them.

I'm not going to pack a bag as I'll get all agitated then if I end up not being admitted. Main thing though is that I'll have to figure out transport in to the hospital if I do get the call, if I at least knew one way or another I could get working on that. Can't afford a taxi and can't think of anyone who could give me a lift, so I guess it'll be public transport, and I'm really in no state of mind for that.

Sorry. I'm just a bit panicky and I hate uncertainty when I'm feeling this way. If I knew I was going to be home alone tonight, at least I could start preparing for that.

I had a shower so at least I'll have that much out of the way, if I do go in, I can't help feeling I've jinxed it now though and there won't be a bed! My mind works so weird when I'm like this ...

Uncertainty is a horrible feeling. I hope you get the word there soon.

I hope everything goes ok in there. Best to look at it like a little break away from the world. A chance to get a hold on things and to gather yourself for getting the true you back again.

If I was living in Dublin, I'd offer you a lift myself. I hope you get something sorted there.

Just having a bit of a rant here.

The sad thing is that I know I'M the problem here. It's always been like this everywhere I've ever worked. I'm so stubborn though, I hate the situation I'm in but don't do anything to change it. A Grade A fuppup.

May I ask if you are in regular therapy Hugo?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi Lady, keep posting here perhaps? It'll keep your mind somewhat distracted.. The waiting game is the worst. :(

Well it won't be today. Which is OK. I'm feeling OK about it now.

Feck knows where my mood will be in a couple of hours, but for now I'm fine about it!

Haven't eaten today and no food in the house, so I guess I'll go to the shops. Meh. You know that thing where the smallest thing feels the biggest effort sometimes ...

May I ask if you are in regular therapy Hugo?

I'm not, P. I did a few stints of it here and there over the years, and it was very worthwhile. I'm gonna have to arrange an appointment soon.

Well it won't be today. Which is OK. I'm feeling OK about it now.

Feck knows where my mood will be in a couple of hours, but for now I'm fine about it!

Haven't eaten today and no food in the house, so I guess I'll go to the shops. Meh. You know that thing where the smallest thing feels the biggest effort sometimes ...

It can be. Perhaps plan to get yourself something really tasty though. It might make the trip a little bit easier to have a lovely reward when you return home.

I second what Grem said above too. Great idea.

• Advertisement

Treated myself to a Cully & Sully shepherds pie. At least I can just bang it in the microwave. I've zero appetite though. Might have it in a few hours.

The last few days, I've been trying my best to distract myself with reading or Netflix. But I just absolutely cannot focus, at all. So yeah I'll probably just spend the evening on the internet. Not exactly healthy behaviour either, but if it gets me through to tomorrow.

Hopefully in the morning they can tell me when I'll be admitted. Other times I've been admitted, it's taken a few days from referral, but those wouldn't have been considered urgent admissions ... whereas from what I was told earlier, this would be a very urgent admission, so hopefully there'll be a space tomorrow. The receptionist said to ring first thing in the morning and hopefully they'll know then.

I just want to be in a place where I'm physically safe from myself. Where I can breathe a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I hope you get that break soon Lady..

Treated myself to a Cully & Sully shepherds pie. At least I can just bang it in the microwave. I've zero appetite though. Might have it in a few hours.

The last few days, I've been trying my best to distract myself with reading or Netflix. But I just absolutely cannot focus, at all. So yeah I'll probably just spend the evening on the internet. Not exactly healthy behaviour either, but if it gets me through to tomorrow.

As long as it's safe Lady you do whatever it is that will get you through. The Internet, eating, not eating, posting here. We are often hardest on ourselves when we struggle. For some the inner critic becomes very loud and self loathing is never too far away.
    You'll get through it. One day at a time.

I'm not, P. I did a few stints of it here and there over the years, and it was very worthwhile. I'm gonna have to arrange an appointment soon.

If I may be so forward as to say Hugo that I think you doing that would be a very good idea. Don't let your life pass you by x

If I may be so forward as to say Hugo that I think you doing that would be a very good idea. Don't let your life pass you by x

Thanks, P. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

i want our A & D thread back... :(...

Joya wrote: »

Me too, J.

Joya wrote: »

Same, could do with it.. I'm not as comfortable on the after hours thread.. Still, one mod has been added so shouldn't be waiting too long for the next..

Same, could do with it.. I'm not as comfortable on the after hours thread.. Still, one mod has been added so shouldn't be waiting too long for the next..

Same here, Grem.

I do like this thread too. It can be a bit more "general", if that makes any sense.

• Advertisement

Just a lot of traffic i guess.

Advertisement