Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

that uni do you attend? where exactly in the uk is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Meeeehhh.

The advice I'm getting from the hospital consultant is completely opposite to what I'd gotten from my counsellors (HSE.)

This is the first time I've met the consultant. My counsellors know me inside out and made the decision as a team, and my gut instinct is definitely to trust them. I'm terrified of the consultant's plan - from what my counsellors said, I'd be setting myself up to fail by attempting it. And that's what I feel too.

Alternative is to discharge myself from hospital and go back to my counsellors as an out-patient. Problem is I'm really not safe at home these days.

My counsellors don't know about my hospital admission yet, so I guess I'll ring them first thing tomorrow and see what they think I should do.

:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Meeeehhh.

The advice I'm getting from the hospital consultant is completely opposite to what I'd gotten from my counsellors (HSE.)

This is the first time I've met the consultant. My counsellors know me inside out and made the decision as a team, and my gut instinct is definitely to trust them. I'm terrified of the consultant's plan - from what my counsellors said, I'd be setting myself up to fail by attempting it. And that's what I feel too.

Alternative is to discharge myself from hospital and go back to my counsellors as an out-patient. Problem is I'm really not safe at home these days.

My counsellors don't know about my hospital admission yet, so I guess I'll ring them first thing tomorrow and see what they think I should do.

:(

Hopefully your consultant will also be in contact with your previous counsellors also to get a clearer picture on you. Perhaps consultant only has partial facts to hand, fingers crossed Lady..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

that uni do you attend? where exactly in the uk is it?

Falmouth.
    I am on a waiting list to see the uni counsellors but they said 3-5 weeks and its not in the town I live in, its 30mins away so I can't really go with out missing my classes anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fcuk serious anxiety wave has kicked in, feel nauseous and have semi-numb limbs. Scared..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

when i had panic attacks few times, due to fear, i had to step back and ask myself what i am afraid of.
    then id answer it as honest as i could to myself
    then id ask myself ok so what if that happen, so what ?
    then id find out that id have an option to do this and that
    even with catastrophic thinking this exercise was helpful to me

and by "catastrophic thinking" i mean thoughts like "everything just broke down" "i (or it- whatever) will never ... (add here as you please) ...
    cause id again ask, if that happen then so what.. till id come to resolution of the fear..

it also helped me to start searching the alternatives to the thing that scares me, e.g. reducing it to smaller portions that i actually CAN cope with and handle, and accepting that that is my state, my stage, my speed, and to be fine with it...

not sure im clear at all with what i wrote (or that it would be helpful) pardon me please :o
    i hope you be okay soon .. **hugs**!!

Emergency meds taken, locked into room.. It'll pass but it's very difficult to tackle as there's no actual fear of anything just the fear/terrified feeling. Have been concentrating on breathing patterns as much as possible since this hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Has anyone ever done interviews while going through a bad patch? I was meant to have one tomorrow but my heart isn't in it.. It is a bit of a trek to get to, the hours are longer and I have a child in creche and am a single parent so have no partner to rely on to collect my child.. But I feel like I'm going to ruin my chances of ever leaving my current job (which I do not like at all) by cancelling all the interviews im getting.. I've cancelled a good few in the last few months..

Maka, I've got to say I think doing an interview is valuable experience, especially in the face of adversity however only you know yourself so if you think doing it would exacerbate your rough patch then maybe you shouldn't do it.. Generally even if the job is unsuitable the interview experience is useful, just be mindful of yourself first and foremost..

Tough night down.. Muscular pain everywhere now though and morning commute to do.. Breathe breathe breathe breathe grem..

Best wishes to Lady today by the way.

• Advertisement

Hopefully your consultant will also be in contact with your previous counsellors also to get a clearer picture on you. Perhaps consultant only has partial facts to hand, fingers crossed Lady..

Thanks, just waiting to ring at nine.

Having gone through all the options I think I've no choice to do what the consultant here says though. We'll see.

Hope everyone has a good day/week!

Hopefully there will be communication between consultant and your own crew - perhaps mention it when you call them?. Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Can't get talking to them until tomorrow. :( And decisions kind of need to be made today, would have really liked to talk to them first.

Balls.

Feck surely a few minutes on the phone at some point would have been doable.. Take your time, you truly don't have to agree to anything long term today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Had been doing really well of late- surprisingly, as I've had a lot going on. The past few days I feel like it's all coming undone though.

The rational part of my brain is slowly being drowned out by the anxiety and gloom.

ah, lovely ups and downs of depression, Lolli, i guess we all know what you mean.. good thing is that it also means that the wheel has to turn, its only a matter of time..

*hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Had been doing really well of late- surprisingly, as I've had a lot going on. The past few days I feel like it's all coming undone though.

The rational part of my brain is slowly being drowned out by the anxiety and gloom.

Hang on in there, Lolli. After the rain, comes the rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

*hugs* I know the feeling.

I hope you are okay :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Did people see that one woman in Galway used twitter to help raise money after the hse therapy course she was waiting for was cancelled. It's crazy. I know funding is tight but people need to be given therapy which will help them live a happy, healthy life. This woman raised enough money but what about the others who aren't receiving this therapy due to the cancellation. Not everyone is able to do such a thing, so many suffering is silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

After hours is terribly public for this sort of thread...

Finished with cbt. Still trying to find an antid that suits me. Thought the latest might be the charm but since getting used to the therapeutic dose I can't get my mood to bounce back at all. Which is unfortunate, I need to just get better, I'm fed up with messing with dosage and different medication.

• Advertisement

My neighbour invited me out to a comedy night. Nothing offends me, except when it's personal. And the comedian made a remark about my appearance. So now I feel really small and awkward. :( Just want to go home.

Karsini wrote: »
    My neighbour invited me out to a comedy night. Nothing offends me, except when it's personal. And the comedian made a remark about my appearance. So now I feel really small and awkward. :( Just want to go home.

Real funny... If kids did it you'd give out to them for picking on someone

jees that sounds harsh grem..
    hope u r ok though.. or that ull be okay soon..

people sometimes don't know what a healthy border is..

hugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

That would offend loads of people. I would be so upset if that happened to me. I hope you feel better soon. Did he make remarks to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

how was it said? with a nasty tone?

he was probably just roasting you. I would hope his intention wasn't to upset anyone. but....as you were probably feeling sh"t anyway, the little remark got to you that bit easier. or were you in a good mood up to that moment? anyway don't blame yourself. try and look beyond what was said as just a cheap joke not worth your attention in the long term. will it matter in a weeks time? a months time? look after yourself.

On my phone so can't easily multiquote. I posted that during the first interval and even just posting it helped me. I'll be fine, it's just that I spent all of my childhood and most of my teenage years being picked on and it has never been something I could handle.
    That would offend loads of people. I would be so upset if that happened to me. I hope you feel better soon. Did he make remarks to anyone else?
    Yeah he did make remarks to others. Including taking some girl's phone (she was on a call) and making lewd comments to the person on the other end... her 16 year old sister! That didn't end well.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    how was it said? with a nasty tone?

he was probably just roasting you. I would hope his intention wasn't to upset anyone. but....as you were probably feeling sh"t anyway, the little remark got to you that bit easier. or were you in a good mood up to that moment? anyway don't blame yourself. try and look beyond what was said as just a cheap joke not worth your attention in the long term. will it matter in a weeks time? a months time? look after yourself.
    I'm not very good at reading people so I don't know what context it was said in. I was feeling fine up to that point.

Thanks for the support, everyone. As I said, I'll be fine.

On my phone so can't easily multiquote. I posted that during the first interval and even just posting it helped me. I'll be fine, it's just that I spent all of my childhood and most of my teenage years being picked on and it has never been something I could handle.

Yeah he did make remarks to others. Including taking some girl's phone (she was on a call) and making lewd comments to the person on the other end... her 16 year old sister! That didn't end well.

He sounds like a total prat. I beg everyone in the audience was feeling nothing but sympathy for you, and feeling quite awkward themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

He sounds like a right a******e, clearly not used to dealing with gentlemen like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

So I had a very insightful therapy session today where I finally realised I'm still not over my parents separation when I was 8.. This had lead me to attract toxic people who take advantage of me and makes me feel I'm unworthy of love. I want to fix this but don't know where to start. Loving myself is the main goal but the concept is so alien to me I don't even know how to begin. My therapist has said to do things for me, so I'm going to have to write a list of what I love doing and make sure I do one once a day..

Advertisement