Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

my anxiety was starting to settle. The shakes had stooped and being anxious about every little thing was just about gone.....now bang its back. Im anxious about everything its a set back i just hope i get back on track asap as i was making progress. My mindfulness therapist told me that the work we are doing now my future self will thank me for it. its so hard and so different that at times im like "this is horse ****" but when i start to feel good i am like "there is something in this mindfulness lark" very hard to see at times. Re-programming your mind is exhausting!!

I was just wondering folks. How old are you? and how long have you suffered wit anxiety and depression?

Sorry to read your struggle gleeso. I agree it's exhausting but stick with it. It really is a case of the more you practice it the more like a second nature it becomes.

I'm pretty struggling with moods and anxiety these past few weeks. Cancelled/ made up excuses not to go out. Even though I'm lonely as hell.

In answer to your question. I'm 31. Diagnosed 16 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

64 and diagnosed 1999. My case is mild enough and was elective. However, on thinking about it, I had suffered from social anxiety/phobia since my teens - and that was long time ago.
    On a parallel issue, this has got to be the best thread on boards.ie. Thanks to DeVore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I feel ok today. I've had issues with bad anxiety since I was a child and at times the anxiety has been overwhelming but it's under control now. I've also has mild/moderate depression in the past but I reckon much of that was down to my alcohol dependency.

I've just finished rehab and I'm looking forward to getting my life back on track. No more going back to a drink filled oblivion for me. Slowly, step by step, I will conquer that mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I was just wondering folks. How old are you? and how long have you suffered wit anxiety and depression?
    38, since I was about 15. Or at least, I first knew something was wrong when I was about 15, and once I figured it out I got rapidly worse. I used to think of it in terms of some years or months being better than others. But none are good, really. And nowadays if I have a good hour in a day I count it a triumph. Sometimes even a single laugh. I've even gotten to the stage of thanking people who make me laugh first in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Had a bit to think, and was reading (don't berate me) again of symptoms, in general of ataxia. There is a good chance it's not FA, but there does not seem to be many "nice" causes of my symptoms.

I needed time to be in denial of anything being wrong.
    Now I have to be adult about this and actually find out if something is, or not.

It's scaring me half to death, but it has to be done.

• Advertisement

Why the change of mind? Partly because there are very few innocent causes.
    That even though my family is estranged with a brother, he has a lot of children.
    Its unfair for me to have a possible genetic condition go undiagnosed when those kids might have it.

People asked earlier in the thread "do you parents not have it".
    No, some of the ataxic problems can be recessive, and some recessives can be 'spontaneous' mutations - it might only ever be me in my family line with something like this. However me and 2 brothers and an aunt share symptoms of a genetic condition as well - unrelated to my brain.
    More chance of winning the lottery than this ****ing ****e.

This is physical illness not mental illness but I feel this is the place for it as its messing with my head.
    I know I keep going on and on about this, but of course none of my friends or family want to listen to this ****e.
    Was arranging to meet a friend since I am back in Ireland for a few weeks, she pulled out suddenly and went on to say "you need to see someone about this, talk to someone I mean". I know I moan an awful lot on here but trust me, I only mentioned this to her the 1st day I was told myself.
    God forbid a friend needs your help - then again I can see why you should not be a burden on others.
    I know its effecting me emotionally/mentally but my first reaction is to feel hurt and like I am rejected by a friend.
    Thats just an initial reaction - its unfair for me to just expect people to care and listen to me about all this - some things are too heavy for friends to be there.
    I just feel very alone in all this now.

Your'e not alone cos people are sharing it here with you. So what if you 'go on' - you're entitled to and people don't have to read or can skip if they want to. Perhaps your friend is scared rather than she is rejecting you. You can have the expectation that people do care and some will. Sorry I cant be of more help.

benny79 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies I dont want to hijack this thread but could someone point me in the direction of a good book on upstanding Depression/Anxiety.

My story Ill try keep it short.. My mam has suffered with depression all her life I've seen things as a kid that no other kid should see.. I would have to dress myself get my own breakfast and head to school on my own at 8 years old. I'm an only child & my dad would be in work.. My dad always got angry with her and would drag her off to hospital literally!! As I got got older when my Mam got sick I would do the same be angry & shout etc..

Thankfully since my dad passed and my son was born my mam has never looked back! My son totally changed her! The difference is night and day...but this is not the problem :(

My partner of 11 years has struggled with depression & Anxiety the last few years mainly after are son was born. He's 6 now. But the last 2 she has been really bad and our relationship suffered, of course I didnt help matters been angry and shouting and not been there for her etc... look I but my hands up I know this was wrong but I didnt and dont understand it and totally regret it now (hindsight is a great thing)... She has had two long stints in hospital, we are still young mid 30's. During her last visit last OCT she split up with me saying I didnt support her (I didnt) She was in hospital for 3 months.. and was very bad... At the time I was very angry I suppose my past didnt help growing up with my mother and I didnt want that for my child..

Now all I ever wanted was her to be happy and well! She's seems to be doing well now..she moved back to her mothers when she got out of hospital even do she hates it as her mother always runs her down and says nasty stuff to her (Id say this has a lot to do with her depression) and is on the verge of moving into a new place..
    I love this girl very much!! I want to be there for her and get back with her and was just wondering can anyone recommend a book on understanding Depression??

I think it will really help me with dealing with this and my relationships with her and my mother..

Mods: Please feel free to move this if its in the wrong place..

Benny if you live anywhere near Ranelagh I could give you a good book that I no longer need. Also I would recommend anything titled CBT and Depression.
    You can pm me of course and just when I think about it I could post to you. You don't have to give me a name just an address.

PMBC wrote: »
    Your'e not alone cos people are sharing it here with you. So what if you 'go on' - you're entitled to and people don't have to read or can skip if they want to. Perhaps your friend is scared rather than she is rejecting you. You can have the expectation that people do care and some will. Sorry I cant be of more help.

As I said above, I rarely spoke to her about it, only once so she knew what the craic was with me, as I know she has a lot on her own plate right now.
    I did not expect to talk about it when we met up, I just want to, I don't know, catch up with a friend, get some food and spend time with them - last thing I would want to do is talk about such a rubbish topic.
    I bet there is far more to it than I know, but if she wants space, thats what she can have if it helps her. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone here regret taking antidepressants? or glad that they did?

Not sure if I should. Ill speak to my GP anbout it when I see them next, but Id like to hear other peoples stories/feelings about them

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Not sure if I should. Ill speak to my GP anbout it when I see them next, but Id like to hear other peoples stories/feelings about them
    The problem is that if you get an answer to that question, it relates to them, not you. :( You're situation is different and unique, the only person who can make that decision is you and you should be guided by your medical practitioner (doctor, psychologist etc).

Its really tempting to ask that question but the question you really want to ask is "should *I* take anti-D's" and unfortunately no one here can answer that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

DeVore wrote: »
    The problem is that if you get an answer to that question, it relates to them, not you. :( You're situation is different and unique, the only person who can make that decision is you and you should be guided by your medical practitioner (doctor, psychologist etc). (

Its really tempting to ask that question but the question you really want to ask is "should *I* take anti-D's" and unfortunately no one here can answer that. :([/QUOTE]

Wrong. Very wrong.

I'm not asking randoms on a forum for medical advice. I clearly said I want to hear other peoples experience with antidepressants, and never indicated that their experience would influence my decision to take them or not.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Me 0/

First time, I took them under GP supervision, and further down the line when I felt like I wanted to come off them, we discussed why I felt I wouldn't lapse again (I'd made changes in my life by then, so old..habits for want of a better word wouldn't crop up again) and then I gradually weaned off them according to his instructions. Having said that, he was a GP with a huge interest in mental health issues, really knew his stuff on depression, so I had trust in him.

Second time I was going through a very rough patch, and was signed off for something, I mentioned I was slipping back with all that was going on and he offered me them. At the time, I'd begun counselling so we agreed that I'd give a few weeks worth of counselling a try, and go into him for a prescription if/ when I needed it. Turned out I got through it with counselling. That was 13 years ago.

Ask your GP about them. What's the harm? If you think that you might benefit from them, then there is nothing wrong with going on a course of medication. I think that they are one of many things that can help.

I'm not asking randoms on a forum for medical advice. I clearly said I want to hear other peoples experience with antidepressants, and never indicated that their experience would influence my decision to take them or not.

Antidepressants get a lot of mixed reviews. For some they are life savers and for others not so much.

While you say you are not looking for medical advice I think you should discount other people's experiences of them. They will be of zero relevance to you because everyone is unique. The only person who you should listen to regarding their use is your GP.

I seen my GP here in Derry and mentioned the ataxia, she said its nothing to worry myself over.
    The GP back in England said the same thing.

Conflicted, they seem to have brushed it all off so maybe so should I, but I might just see a neurologist to reassure myself more - otherwise its on my mind.

I just feel so depressed when any of my chronic illness' seem to peak, at the moment its my gastrointestinal and ulcer - other times its my joints or raynuards.
    It sounds a stupid reason to be depressed as I know its a heavy term, but its just a feeling of "will I ever be a normal healthy person" as all my life I seem to be sick in one form or another with no relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Iv been on an snto depressant for a year n a half....find it great for my GAD...as for my form... Helps the slightest bit but a lot of my stuff has to do with the environment I'm in.

Does anyone experience any side effects if they forget to take their yabs for 1 or 2 days? Iv done it a few time's n I feel like j get these shocks and a bit of vertigo...

Iv been on an snto depressant for a year n a half....find it great for my GAD...as for my form... Helps the slightest bit but a lot of my stuff has to do with the environment I'm in.

Does anyone experience any side effects if they forget to take their yabs for 1 or 2 days? Iv done it a few time's n I feel like j get these shocks and a bit of vertigo...

On SSRIs, quite often forget them, forget to get prescription. After two days missed I get poor sleep/crazy dreams, vertigo and a touch of tummy problems on the third day. Goes away when I double dose on first day 'back on'.
    The real problem is if you try to give this stuff up, when you no longer need it. And yes that time does come. Very difficult to stop and not advisable without doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

On SSRIs, quite often forget them, forget to get prescription. After two days missed I get poor sleep/crazy dreams, vertigo and a touch of tummy problems on the third day. Goes away when I double dose on first day 'back on'.
    The real problem is if you try to give this stuff up, when you no longer need it. And yes that time does come. Very difficult to stop and not advisable without doc.

Double dose?

You should never ever go cold turkey from antidepressants of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

The only way to 'come off' antidepressants is with medical supervision. And it takes a very lengthy period of reducing dosages. If it's done too quickly that's where the problems can arise.

Personally for me they've been a life saver. And if I have to take a tablet for the rest of my life to keep me on an even keel then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mr Diggler

So was doing pretty well for a week or 2 there but tonight just began to freak out again thinking i have something wrong with me. Why am i like this? Its so frustrating i cant control these feelings and its really scary. I think about dying all the time and keep thinking im going to die young. I hate myself for feeling this way i really do. My granny suffers with severe anxiety and depression im really worried im goinh down the same route!

Mr Diggler wrote: »
    So was doing pretty well for a week or 2 there but tonight just began to freak out again thinking i have something wrong with me. Why am i like this? Its so frustrating i cant control these feelings and its really scary. I think about dying all the time and keep thinking im going to die young. I hate myself for feeling this way i really do. My granny suffers with severe anxiety and depression im really worried im goinh down the same route!

Mr Diggler these things get to us and that's not trying to trivialise the problem. Think of this - we are on the piece of rock that's rotating at about 1,660 km per hour and also going around the sun at a further 107,000 km per hour. Not only that but the whole system of our planets and sun are whirling around a point near the centre of our galaxy at I don't remember what speed.
    CANTs - Constant And Negative Thoughts - the books call what you are experiencing. But you are not your thoughts. Try to get and read the first few chapters of Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now - to learn a technique to defeat those.
    I hope you get something positive from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Anybody get certain days of the week when they feel shoite but it can't be explained, Tuesdays and Thursdays are terrible for me for some reason, when I used to work with the public they could also be Satan on these days, weird.

Good news - I received a letter from Belfast Geneticists telling me to phone for an appointment.

Bad news - I need to see a neurologist before I see them (other wise the appointment is useless and they will tell me to go see neuro then back again)

Phoning them on Monday to see when they can delay my appointment to and also to see my GP here and ask to be on a waiting list for neuro.

I feel the best idea is to try and get appointments for the start of the summer holidays when I am back in NI.

Not feeling the best but I have done a lot of personal work during the break but can throw myself into Uni work that needs done (done, started means the same).

Just keeping myself busy from all this as its bad to dwell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Stay strong, crap other people spew is usually out of some issue with them.. If there's anything you can engage in for the evening like music or a game do it.. I hate that some people only seem to wish ill on others.. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yeah go paint or whatever, get lost in something.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

failinis wrote: »
    Its just I feel like life ****ing hates me right now.
    I know that feeling. The first startup company I had crashed and burned and everyone ended up owing the banks a lot of money. A LOT. My father (unconnectedly) had a massive heart attack around the same time... I took what meagre savings I had and flew myself away for a snowboarding holiday before entering a life time of debt to the bank, and on the first day smashed into a tree and snapped my leg in half. I just got to a place mentally where I just felt like, this is it, this is rock bottom. Life hates and basically nothing else can go wrong. I'm financially, emotionally and physically broken.
    I really hit a bad place but I realised things just couldn't get any worse... and I was still alive. I was still (just about) standing. Tomorrow HAD to be a better day! It just had to be.

I kept telling myself, this too shall pass. And that's all I can offer you... this too shall pass. Breath in and breath out till you get through the day. You are doing the right things. You have plotted a course and its good. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Can I just say Failini that I've been sad tonight and you with a very simple act made me smile.

So thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Quick update. Got all the charges withdrawn and got an adult caution. So good news on that front.

I was so happy to hear it. But it hasn't helped my depression. My family situation is ****, I realised how much my siblings don't care about me. I thought I had so much support around me. But I feel that most of the support just collapsed away after a week. I'm not happy at home anymore and my family would be better off without me. I think I'll be moving out within the next 3 months to my girlfriend in central europe. My family are good at ignoring issues as much as I protest about it.

My medication got doubled, for about a month now, I don't think it has done a thing to help. Maybe I should give it more time.

I honestly thought this wouldn't happen to me again, I suppose I'm the fool to think again that people really cared. I'm starting to lose hope, I can't focus anymore or keep onto of college work anymore. I haven't self harmed for a month, so I suppose that's some good news and I don't have any want to. I just have to keep moving on life, try to smile and pretend life is great.

• Advertisement

moloner4 wrote: »
    Quick update. Got all the charges withdrawn and got an adult caution. So good news on that front.

I was so happy to hear it. But it hasn't helped my depression. My family situation is ****, I realised how much my siblings don't care about me. I thought I had so much support around me. But I feel that most of the support just collapsed away after a week. I'm not happy at home anymore and my family would be better off without me. I think I'll be moving out within the next 3 months to my girlfriend in central europe. My family are good at ignoring issues as much as I protest about it.

My medication got doubled, for about a month now, I don't think it has done a thing to help. Maybe I should give it more time.

I honestly thought this wouldn't happen to me again, I suppose I'm the fool to think again that people really cared. I'm starting to lose hope, I can't focus anymore or keep onto of college work anymore. I haven't self harmed for a month, so I suppose that's some good news and I don't have any want to. I just have to keep moving on life, try to smile and pretend life is great.
    Ok, that's GREAT news... come on, you have to celebrate the good days, because you're getting the bad days whether you like it or not! People do care, but its human nature that when the initial shock is over and there isn't much they can actively do, people go back to focusing on their own lives. Selfish, yes... for sure, but its not a reflection on you personally.

You definitely need to give the meds more time btw, from what I know of them. Follow your docs advice. Plus you are feeling strong about self harm... that plus your news above is awesome. Don't do what I do and try to douse this happy day with "but there's still loads of things wrong!!" ... I'm not saying there isn't but for a moment stop and look at the positives. You're out of trouble and not self harming, you're life is going north and while there will be rocks on the road, today is a good day.

Advertisement