Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Makapakka wrote: »
    Would you consider a negative influence/person to be someone who is negative by nature, always ring negative or making you feel negative about yourself/things? I am trying to phase out negative people in my life because they are draining me of energy..
    Yes. Energy vampires can exhaust you physically, mentally, psychologically, emotionally every which way. If you are already somebody who is highly sensitive or an empath you will feel the effects tenfold. There are certain people that can only manage their own mental health by you compromising your's. This is neither a sustainable or equitable situation. Always put your own health first. A lesson learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Feeling like I am dealing with this a lot better now (that said I may have a few more bad days ahead that I don't know about) :o

Been really getting into mending cameras and taking 35mm photo's lately.
    I do know during April it was almost at an "obsessive" thing, but it was me trying to seek total distraction.
    I know I can't take photos for **** but I know it makes me happy. Especially my brain having to think about manual controls, and then the waiting to develop film when I have spare time, mixing up the chemicals, scanning (or sending film off), it keeps a part of my head distracted a bit, towards something positive. If you add in Uni and also personal art work I have been keeping a good bit of worry thoughts out of my head.
    (Still keeping up with Uni work so not getting in the way of that, in control).

So not sure if it is a negative or positive thing, or maybe a mix of both.

But yes, feeling a bit on edge, like if anything else severe happens I don't know if I can hold it together, but take each day as it comes, and outlook is positive at least. Grateful for being able to rant on this thread and speak to certain people.

Hope everyone here is doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Shint0 wrote:
    Yes. Energy vampires can exhaust you physically, mentally, psychologically, emotionally every which way. If you are already somebody who is highly sensitive or an empath you will feel the effects tenfold. There are certain people that can only manage their own mental health by you compromising your's. This is neither a sustainable or equitable situation. Always put your own health first. A lesson learned the hard way.
    I never thought about that before. There's a woman at work who just completely saps my energy and wrecks my mood. She needs constant approval for everything she does and she is the laziest sack I've ever known. I'm not going to go in to personal stuff but she just has such a miserable life and a terrible attitude and she's so disingenuous that she embarrasses me (stuff like saying how beautiful I am or how great I am at something in a really uncomfortable way, like, putting herself down so I'll compliment her). Nobody talks to her like she's a human being except for me and I do my best to avoid her because she's such an effort to be around. I just don't know how to be nasty to people, especially people I kind of feel a bit sorry for, but I can't help feeling mentally exhausted after dealing with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I don't know if i broke up with my girlfriend tonight. Told her about a job offer would keep us in a long distance relationship. She didn't take it well. **** I don't know. Just got my anti depressants reduced today to half the dose. I've taken double my usual dose to try calm me down. **** have cried like this since my parents broke up. This pain, this pain is bad and at a bad time with college finals.

Sometimes I feel like I have taken a step forward but hell off a mountain then.

Tonights going to be a hard one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ThatGeekGirl

moloner4 wrote: »
    I don't know if i broke up with my girlfriend tonight. Told her about a job offer would keep us in a long distance relationship. She didn't take it well. **** I don't know. Just got my anti depressants reduced today to half the dose. I've taken double my usual dose to try calm me down. **** have cried like this since my parents broke up. This pain, this pain is bad and at a bad time with college finals.

Sometimes I feel like I have taken a step forward but hell off a mountain then.

Tonights going to be a hard one.

I was going to say "I hope you are ok" but clearly you are not so instead I will say I hope you will be ok - but in the mean time take it easy on yourself, stress and change coupled with a change in meds can be hard enough without the emotional aspect of a relationship issue. Just hold on in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Failinis, just deploy the best anti-Paddy joke ever:

How long does it take an Englishwoman to have a shit?

About nine months.

Not your ornery onager

Just feeling myself going back into it all and not caring if I am anymore.

failinis wrote: »
    Just feeling myself going back into it all and not caring if I am anymore.

failinis, sometimes it makes a difference to know you are not alone in how you feel. I've been there too. That tunnel people talk about, the one that's supposed to have the light at the end. Well mine went on and on in to infinity without even a glimmer. I didn't think it was possible to reach the bottom more than once.

Those bad times crept up on me more than once and in different ways. I cried. I screamed. I slept. I ached. I broke. That was the end of it for me. When I broke apart failinis I was finally able to build myself back up. All the awful feelings had to be felt. It's been quite some time now since all of that. My resilience has been found and my core isn't in pieces.

Don't put pressure on yourself with how you feel. Shout and roar if that's what you need. Stay in bed. Keep warm and comfortable. Love yourself. Talk. Things will get better x

I wrote a whole long thing but it does not matter/irrelevant - but its got me down but my friend and relations would say "just don't worry about it."
    Thats bloody great, just don't worry? Thats amazing I just stopped worrying.

I wrote a whole long thing but it does not matter/irrelevant - but its got me down but my friend and relations would say "just don't worry about it."
    Thats bloody great, just don't worry? Thats amazing I just stopped worrying.

My mam used to say something similar to me. "You are an awful worrier Perse". I was and still am to an extent. It takes time to get to a stage where you can actually simply not worry. The thoughts are still there but you are not actively going through them in your mind.

Like for example I'm in bed now. I'm perfectly relaxed. Heart rate is slow and steady. Yet lurking away inside are worries and fears. Years of meditation and other things got me to a place of being able to make a conscious decision to not worry. It doesn't always work of course but I know I have that ability.

• Advertisement

But look failinis, I shared my own experience with you in the hope that you would feel less alone. You didn't acknowledge it in anyway.

So I wonder do you let people in? Are there people in your life who care about you and who you turn to? Do you believe that there are people who care about you?

But look failinis, I shared my own experience with you in the hope that you would feel less alone. You didn't acknowledge it in anyway.

So I wonder do you let people in? Are there people in your life who care about you and who you turn to? Do you believe that there are people who care about you?

I said in that post today that "I wrote a long thing", which included a reply to you but I felt that whatever I said would be irrelevant and would not help anyone if I said it or not. I am sorry if you felt that I totally ignored it, I have not, and have read it several times today.

I said in that post today that "I wrote a long thing", which included a reply to you but I felt that whatever I said would be irrelevant and would not help anyone if I said it or not. I am sorry if you felt that I totally ignored it, I have not, and have read it several times today.

I guess I was using that as an example regarding connections. It made me wonder if you really know that people care about you. My apologies if I came across unduly harsh.

I guess I was using that as an example regarding connections. It made me wonder if you really know that people care about you. My apologies if I came across unduly harsh.

I feel like there are people who care, but are not there for me.
    I can not rely nor trust them for actual help.
    Which suggests I need to find someone who can (such as referral by a gp).
    However I have not been "there" for them so I am getting what I deserve.

Edit: And you are right in what you said yesterday, I can only help myself, I am self inflicting this upon myself and others and I need to decide if I want to end it or get out.

I feel like there are people who care, but are not there for me.
    I can not rely nor trust them for actual help.
    Which suggests I need to find someone who can (such as referral by a gp).
    However I have not been "there" for them so I am getting what I deserve.

Edit: And you are right in what you said yesterday, I can only help myself, I am self inflicting this upon myself and others and I need to decide if I want to end it or get out.

You might be surprised by them. Sometimes people are so caught in their own problems that they are oblivious to what's happening around them. They may have no clue that someone close to them is suffering. You don't deserve to hurt or feel sad. You are a person whose feelings and experiences are every bit as valid and real as the next.

Do you remember the thread on here where we doodled the poster above us? Yours made me smile a lot on what was a pretty crap day. I don't doubt you made others smile too. You are not an affliction. You are a person :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, one of the hard lessons I have learned is that I cant attribute to uncaringness or lack of empathy that which is easier attributed to people just being wrapped up in their own lives.

Just had a drink to calm me down. Don't whether to go or stay, people are going to be upset ether way and I don't know how to react. Sometimes good news in life can cause so many issues :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Has anyone ever changed from cbt to psychoanalysis? I need something that digs deep into my subconscious to find out why I am feeling the way I am because I want to be happy, I want to stop shouting at my child, I want to be free of this monster

Has anyone ever changed from cbt to psychoanalysis? I need something that digs deep into my subconscious to find out why I am feeling the way I am because I want to be happy, I want to stop shouting at my child, I want to be free of this monster

Psychoanalysis is an entirely different ballgame to CBT. It's incredibly difficult and time consuming.

What is the monster you mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Am very much in a "This is never going to change!" funk.

I haven't seen my counsellor in well over a month due rearrangements in work and being sick. Feel I've lost or given up on all the exercises I was taught there.

Life is going nearly ok at the moment. Like the funks and anxiety should be starting to fade.

• Advertisement

Am very much in a "This is never going to change!" funk.

I haven't seen my counsellor in well over a month due rearrangements in work and being sick. Feel I've lost or given up on all the exercises I was taught there.

Life is going nearly ok at the moment. Like the funks and anxiety should be starting to fade.

You need to engage with your counsellor. Every week. It's a commitment you must make.
    You must do the exercises.

It will never change unless you engage. It takes time but you will get there.

You need to engage with your counsellor. Every week. It's a commitment you must make.
    You must do the exercises.

It will never change unless you engage. It takes time but you will get there.

I'll try to, P.

I just dislike putting myself out there. Facing the hard truths isn't nice either. But like you said, I need to engage if I want to get to a better place.

I'll try to, P.

I just dislike putting myself out there. Facing the hard truths isn't nice either. But like you said, I need to engage if I want to get to a better place.

It's horrible but that's what the process is. Facing yourself.

It's horrible but that's what the process is. Facing yourself.

I really want to hide away, but I know that never helped me before, yet made things worse.

I really want to hide away, but I know that never helped me before, yet made things worse.

What if you're just hiding something in counselling and they never notice? This happened to someone I saw about 10 times in 4 months and they didn't notice I was getting worse and said i didn't need anti depressants. If a good friend didn't make me see someone else I don't know if I'd be still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Psychoanalysis is an entirely different ballgame to CBT. It's incredibly difficult and time consuming.

What is the monster you mention?

I have been suffering from binge eating and I know it runs a lot deeper than just lack of control! I just feel like I need to get to the bottom of it.. I've been talking about my relationship with food with my cbt therapist for the last year or more but I've never got to the bottom, to the real reasons I binge eat, which I've been doing since I was a child..

moloner4 wrote: »
    What if you're just hiding something in counselling and they never notice? This happened to someone I saw about 10 times in 4 months and they didn't notice I was getting worse and said i didn't need anti depressants. If a good friend didn't make me see someone else I don't know if I'd be still here.

It can be a tough one to call.

I always hold back stuff, or downplay. Even in therapy I've afraid of being judged and rejected! Haha

It can be a tough one to call.

I always hold back stuff, or downplay. Even in therapy I've afraid of being judged and rejected! Haha

I know how you feel 100%

Persepoly said something earlier that sort of touches on this. One needs to engage with their counsellors. They can't literally read our minds (they come extremely close at times!), so they could very well not see the real truth behind our faces.

• Advertisement

I have been suffering from binge eating and I know it runs a lot deeper than just lack of control! I just feel like I need to get to the bottom of it.. I've been talking about my relationship with food with my cbt therapist for the last year or more but I've never got to the bottom, to the real reasons I binge eat, which I've been doing since I was a child..

CBT can be really really useful for tackling your thoughts and teaching you ways to change them. So regarding your relationship with food it should be able to help you find better ways to handle your emotions rather than turning to binge eating.

However it stops on the surface. Psychotherapy and psychoanalysis will dig deeper. Psychoanalysis is costly and it is as you might imagine, you lying on the couch with the analyst sitting behind you. Maybe do a bit of research first of all. Figure out if you would prefer going down the therapy or the analysis route.

Advertisement