Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

candycock wrote: »
    Really struggling today and yesterday,I've yet to get up,no appetite or motivation to even shower,I started a job 2 weeks ago and I missed yesterday and today,my bosses are going mad,,how am I to explain this? Any advice?
    Do you see yourself going in tomorrow, or the next day?
    If that's a no, you aren't going to last in the job for much longer. Its a new job, and your employer has no idea whats going on with you.

Honestly, I'd call them and tell them the truth and explain where you are coming from but you have to remember they have to run a business; I don't know your boss so I don't know how they'll react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Rumination is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Feel like my body is failing me and I can't control it.
    Going to see Dr tomorrow who will refer me on to get x-rays/whatever because she thinks I may need a hip replacement within a few years.
    Did you see that. Hip. Replace. I am only 20. What!

My toe/knee/knuckles ache, a very very deep ache for 2yrs and its so painful, nothing like I have felt before, I need to be refered to a rheumo doctor (as I have severe raynuards syndrome) and they are likely to get rheuo arthritis which I am very scared to even think about right now. :(

Unable to take pain killers (paracetamol ruins my stomach and makes my ulcer ache, allergic to Anti-Inflams, not allowed opiates).
    So unless my stomach magically heals I have zero pain relief (I am asking dr tomorrow if there is a pain killer patch or something I can take along side to protect my stomach lining).
    I feel really old and its very hard to deal with seemingly everything going wrong, because I can't think of a day when nothing hurts.

Putting 99% of this down to having no pain medication so I am either a bitch or a recluse. :pac:
    But I know I am being a cnut to friends/family due to this so its not good in my head either. They do understand, I think.

My hip is playing up so bad this year compared to last, so I am actually limping and I don't know if this sounds stupid but most of my illnesses are "hidden" so I am treated normally but even this limp I get sometimes makes people kind of single me out. Can't put it into words but its a change that I don't like.

Was at a concert on Sunday (I am, despite how I sound in what I have written, on such a buzz and high from it, I was looking forward to it since I bought tickets more than 6months ago, fantastic! :D )
    But its now almost Wednesday and I had to spent the past 2 days almost in bed rest because my body barely coped with it, especially my legs/spine.
    Sickening feeling when you can't even deal with that. Limping the whole way to the bus station.

Also, throw away, but again worried about my future in the career I have chosen but that feeling always comes and goes.

Self prescribing a few days of chilling the fcuk out. :p

I know this about depression and mental illness but I assume people can accept bad physical health = bad mental health, but sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

failinis wrote: »
    Feel like my body is failing me and I can't control it.
    Going to see Dr tomorrow who will refer me on to get x-rays/whatever because she thinks I may need a hip replacement within a few years.
    Did you see that. Hip. Replace. I am only 20. What!

My toe/knee/knuckles ache, a very very deep ache for 2yrs and its so painful, nothing like I have felt before, I need to be refered to a rheumo doctor (as I have severe raynuards syndrome) and they are likely to get rheuo arthritis which I am very scared to even think about right now. :(

Unable to take pain killers (paracetamol ruins my stomach and makes my ulcer ache, allergic to Anti-Inflams, not allowed opiates).
    So unless my stomach magically heals I have zero pain relief (I am asking dr tomorrow if there is a pain killer patch or something I can take along side to protect my stomach lining).
    I feel really old and its very hard to deal with seemingly everything going wrong, because I can't think of a day when nothing hurts.

Putting 99% of this down to having no pain medication so I am either a bitch or a recluse. :pac:
    But I know I am being a cnut to friends/family due to this so its not good in my head either. They do understand, I think.

My hip is playing up so bad this year compared to last, so I am actually limping and I don't know if this sounds stupid but most of my illnesses are "hidden" so I am treated normally but even this limp I get sometimes makes people kind of single me out. Can't put it into words but its a change that I don't like.

Was at a concert on Sunday (I am, despite how I sound in what I have written, on such a buzz and high from it, I was looking forward to it since I bought tickets more than 6months ago, fantastic! :D )
    But its now almost Wednesday and I had to spent the past 2 days almost in bed rest because my body barely coped with it, especially my legs/spine.
    Sickening feeling when you can't even deal with that. Limping the whole way to the bus station.

Also, throw away, but again worried about my future in the career I have chosen but that feeling always comes and goes.

Self prescribing a few days of chilling the fcuk out. :p

I know this about depression and mental illness but I assume people can accept bad physical health = bad mental health, but sorry for the rant.

I notice when I don't exercise my mood get really bad, I get very low and iy really effects me. Do you enjoy physical activity when you can do it? Is there any physical activity you can do that won't cause too much pain? Stretching, a bit of yoga?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Makapakka wrote: »
    I notice when I don't exercise my mood get really bad, I get very low and iy really effects me. Do you enjoy physical activity when you can do it? Is there any physical activity you can do that won't cause too much pain? Stretching, a bit of yoga?

I would have said horse riding till recently with my hip - I do enjoy walking (slowly now) and aiming to learn how to swim.
    I might book myself into a how to swim class this week if anyone local running them.
    Yeah some light exercise and art will get me through this I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Having a really tough night. Can't sleep. Paranoid about falling asleep as I'm afraid of losing consciousness. It's eating into anxiety. Feeding the insomnia. I feel so completely alone. I am walking up and down my bedroom trying to control my breathing. I can't live like this any more.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Makapakka, you wont have to, please believe me that this is temporary. I know it doesn't feel like that but it is.
    You might want to contact https://turn2me.org/ , they are great and can help you with what you are going through. They have an online contact/course if you prefer. You can also nip in and have a chat with your doc, he/she may have some ideas about improving your sleep and/or anxiety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

I only realised earlier that I posted some mad sh1t on this the other day, "Total Destruction, The only solution", I think I had a brain fart, or a little mental breakdown, I've had a few and when I come to my senses I think WTF happened there, I'm on antidepressants the past 2 months and I think their messing with my head, anybody else notice this?, please don't give medical advice, only personal stories to keep the thread open for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

You may want to check with your doctor regarding bipolar. One symptom is a hyper reaction to anti depressants. Do you have racing thoughts? Do you have periods of increased activity? Spending problems?

Often sufferers only present when in the depression phase, like myself resulting in years of misdiagnosis. Correct meds are a godsend.

FortySeven wrote: »
    You may want to check with your doctor regarding bipolar. One symptom is a hyper reaction to anti depressants. Do you have racing thoughts? Do you have periods of increased activity? Spending problems?

Often sufferers only present when in the depression phase, like myself resulting in years of misdiagnosis. Correct meds are a godsend.

All of the above, I got meds for bipolar but not sure their good, sending me crazy, happily suicidal, but I don't feel depressed.

• Advertisement

stuar wrote: »
    All of the above, I got meds for bipolar but not sure their good, sending me crazy, happily suicidal, but I don't feel depressed.

Go to your doctor OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Thread merged in to the LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!! thread. This is a more serious thread so funny replies to stuar removed.

My own interactions with ssds were similar. Even when I tried champix for smoking cessation. Happily suicidal says it all. You need to get to a mental health professional.

Normal treatment is lithium.

Just reading through this thread I realise I'm not alone, this illness has destroyed my life and continues to, I'm 41 and have this crap since 17, I'm really sick of it, it's a pain in the hole, but I have children to think about so I can't really top myself ATM.

Just reading through this thread I realise I'm not alone, this illness has destroyed my life and continues to, I'm 41 and have this crap since 17, I'm really sick of it, it's a pain in the hole, but I have children to think about so I can't really top myself ATM.

Me too. My kids are the only reason right now too. Good reasons though aren't they?

It's a long, hard, lonely road with depression. Have you tried the aware groups? I find them helpful occasionally. There will be one near you. Google it.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Me too. My kids are the only reason right now too. Good reasons though aren't they?

It's a long, hard, lonely road with depression. Have you tried the aware groups? I find them helpful occasionally. There will be one near you. Google it.

Thanks

The truth is nobody understands, people believe it doesn't exist, it fcuking does, I'm not looking for attention, I need help, this disease is more deadly than cancer, it killed a few people I loved.

But I think I'm manic at the moment, I'm drinking heavily, when I wake I can't function, then I drink again, fcuking ever decreasing circle, sorry for the rant but I'm annoyed with myself and this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The truth is nobody understands, people believe it doesn't exist, it fcuking does, I'm not looking for attention, I need help, this disease is more deadly than cancer, it killed a few people I loved.

its a dreadful illness, i know many suffering from it and unfortunately i know some that have committed suicide. a friend thinks that roughly half the population is suffering with some sort of mental health illnesses, i suspect hes probably right, most probably dont really realise it so just suffer in silence. please get help, not just for your own well being but for your loved ones as well. best of luck with it. it is a long road but its worth it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Stuar, have you much medical/therapeutic support currently? I'd heartily recommend pieta house to get this stuff off your chest for a start. I have some mental health issues too but have it mostly under control between medication and talk therapy. Don't let the b*stard grind you down..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

But I think I'm manic at the moment, I'm drinking heavily, when I wake I can't function, then I drink again, fcuking ever decreasing circle, sorry for the rant but I'm annoyed with myself and this life.

id highly recommend cutting out the drink, breaking negative cycles is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Touch wood I haven't been too bad of late. I remember fairly dark days though that seemed like they'd never end, and the odd more stressful distressing days more recently than I'd care to admit.

Sometimes it's good just to sleep?

I drank my way through it too. For 25 years. 60% of bipolar sufferers have substance abuse/addiction problems. It is self medication, not manic, not depressed, just drunk.

I used to get arrested when drinking manic. I would still be raring to go at 9am after drinking everyone under the table.

Haven't had a drink now in 4 years and have lithium, it helps a lot.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Getting angry is potentially a good thing. Take that anger and turn it into determination to start fighting back. I just to wish my depression had physical form so I could kick the head off it. :)

But you CAN hit back. You can get counselling. You can get treatment. You can get dry. And yeah, you probably hate the idea of all those things but if you are angry enough, and sick of being like this enough, then tomorrow pick up the phone and start stopping being like that. And you know what, it may not be half as hard as you think it will be and I guarantee you it will be twice as rewarding. My life is a million times better since I fought back. Even the act of fighting back felt good... it felt good to be doing something to stop letting this run my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Guys can ye tell me the difference between a councillor and a psychotherapist?

My councillor says the pretty much the same thing, but I feel like I need more than counselling something more in depth. I'm already on tabs....iv trouble with my confidence self esteem etc.....I'm also incredibly lonely which makes things tens times worse.

My councillor says the pretty much the same thing, but I feel like I need more than counselling something more in depth. I'm already on tabs....iv trouble with my confidence self esteem etc.....I'm also incredibly lonely which makes things tens times worse.

My counsellor was more day to day living, not drinking, confronting life issues etc, my psychiatrist looks after my meds. My psychologist takes me to pieces and (partially) puts me back together again. She makes me cry, for days sometimes and she digs deep into abuse that happened to me as a child.

Still wonder who came up with psycho the rapist?

A psychotherapist will have a deeper understanding of mental health and illness. He/she will be accredited with either IAHIP (Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapists) or IACP (Irish Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists). Google either and you will get loads of information.

Psychotherapists work in a very in depth manner often over months and years. It's not easy. Expect a lot of digging around in your unconscious, in your past, expect boundaries and to feel shaken up and stirred around.

Loneliness is such an overwhelming feeling. You can be in a crowd of people, sitting with friends, and still feel like the only person in the world. It's very isolating. Be kind to yourself :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Hi all,hope everyone is hanging in there,just want to ask does anybody ever be feeling constantly tired.Im sleeping a lot and waking up with tingling pains on my arms and legs,im taking my mess,but I find im drinking at the weekend and not taking them,Also still unemployed and I've given up all my hobbies eg football,running,I've also packed on two stone,this mite be because of the meds and no excercise.,anyone any tips or advice to help me regain some control of my life.

• Advertisement

Hmmm... I'm trying to find a way to say "yeah, stop drinking and go back to exercising" without sounding like a d*ckhead :):)

Yeah, I am finding myself very tired all the time lately, really struggling with any enthusiasm to get up and do things... even things I *know* I like so...yeah.... Mr Kettle is on line 2 for you here. :)

Start going for a short run... 15 minutes say. If you head out with a blaze of enthusiasm you wont keep it up so start nice and gentle. 3 times a week only, say... As soon as you stop enjoying it, head home and stop. Train yourself to enjoy it, to look forward to it. But *force* yourself out to do it. Being unemployed sucks because you have no real reason to get out of bed and feck all money to do anything even if you did. This is your enemy speaking to you... you need to fight it. Take on a new interest if you can, maybe something in your local community centre. Its well proven that novelty is a natural counter to depression in many cases.

If you let things slide and get into a rut you are going to find it harder and harder to dig yourself out. So, try to get back on track asap. I find music is the one thing that can change my mood and get me moving to get things done.

Food, good clean food, is also key. Its cheaper and better for you to cook for yourself and its not hard to learn (I did, after 43 years). Food is the fuel that goes in the human car. Bad fuel burns badly, good fuel burns clean.

Advertisement