Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

^
    This is nice to read from my eyes as I am considering counselling of some sort in Sept when I go back to Uni (unless the waiting lists here chill out) as I have never been to any counselling before.
    Just, ya know, I know it might not help depending on how much effort I give and who is my counsellor, but I defiantly am going to give it a twirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Deedeemazzy

failinis wrote: »
    ^
    This is nice to read from my eyes as I am considering counselling of some sort in Sept when I go back to Uni (unless the waiting lists here chill out) as I have never been to any counselling before.
    Just, ya know, I know it might not help depending on how much effort I give and who is my counsellor, but I defiantly am going to give it a twirl.
    There are affordable and even free options out there...
    if you find one counsellor doesn't suit you.. then try someone new..
    Honestly, it is probably the best thing I ever did for myself .
    I'm a much better person for it x

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Footnote: I take meds the last 5 yrs and although they keep me somewhat stable.. I strongly believe that counselling might be a better option or at least taking the two in conjunction. I've had depression for as long as I can remember.
    I am not so sure that "talking to someone"... I mean just anyone is the best idea.. many of my friends or family don't understand or know how to react or what to say.. A trained professional on the other hand can help you through it.
    www dot turn2me dot org is a free organisation that provide online and free counselling sessions.

You probably know this already but definitely ask your doctor and whatever counsellor you go to about going off meds. I don't take meds as i'm allergic to the options available to me, have a mild neurological condition that can be made worse by a number of medications commonly prescribed for depression. It's a bitch but I force myself to be active everyday to compensate for it, benefit of it is i've made a lot of new friends, downside is my body is nearly always sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

failinis wrote: »
    ^

Counselling helped me through some incredibly bad times and I can't recommend it enough. The first time I went I thought what can it do since it's just talking to someone but I felt so great leaving and 6 weeks later I couldn't believe I ever had the miserable thoughts I once had in my head. I went to the free ones in my Uni, was nice because they understood the problems of trying to study while being a bad place.

TheSegal wrote: »
    You probably know this already but definitely ask your doctor and whatever counsellor you go to about going off meds. I don't take meds as i'm allergic to the options available to me, have a mild neurological condition that can be made worse by a number of medications commonly prescribed for depression. It's a bitch but I force myself to be active everyday to compensate for it, benefit of it is i've made a lot of new friends, downside is my body is nearly always sore!

just right at this moment, I'm too terrified tbh.. I'm strong but it's only been a few months of no depression and thinking about last winter upsets me..
    before therapy, yes I did think I would be on meds forever, even if they have side affects such as osteoporosis, I was willing to risk that so I could stay on my meds.
    I've weaned myself down to half the lowest recommended dose already.. but I've tried to wean myself off completely before and just hit rock bottom...
    I think, for me, I need to continue with them for a little while longer until I feel more ready to be meds free.. Just right now, I don't want to feel like I did over the winter or upset my current good mood by challenging myself too much by quitting meds..
    I know Ideally that yes in the longer term, I should really eventually come on them ..
    Hopefully I will feel stronger in my mind about that some time in the future.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Big "plus one" from me for counselling. Takes a few months and you have to do most of the heavy lifting yourself but they are a guide to help you trek out of the jungle.

just right at this moment, I'm too terrified tbh.. I'm strong but it's only been a few months of no depression and thinking about last winter upsets me..
    before therapy, yes I did think I would be on meds forever, even if they have side affects such as osteoporosis, I was willing to risk that so I could stay on my meds.
    I've weaned myself down to half the lowest recommended dose already.. but I've tried to wean myself off completely before and just hit rock bottom...
    I think, for me, I need to continue with them for a little while longer until I feel more ready to be meds free.. Just right now, I don't want to feel like I did over the winter or upset my current good mood by challenging myself too much by quitting meds..
    I know Ideally that yes in the longer term, I should really eventually come on them ..
    Hopefully I will feel stronger in my mind about that some time in the future.
    Thank you.

It's lovely to hear of a person doing well after the awful nightmare of depression :)

But I cannot emphasise enough the importance of adjusting your meds under a doctor's supervision. Be very careful with how you take them and the dose prescribed for you.

It's lovely to hear of a person doing well after the awful nightmare of depression :)

But I cannot emphasise enough the importance of adjusting your meds under a doctor's supervision. Be very careful with how you take them and the dose prescribed for you.

Don't worry.. I had been on other less effective meds before this 5 years so I know the importance of same.
    :) Tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Would agree re. being very careful about how/when/if you come off the meds! Ongoing counselling and psychology and DBT are essential for me, but I just wouldn't be able to get any benefit from any of them unless my meds were keeping me somewhat stabilised. I know this from experience. I've no problem with staying on meds for the rest of my life if necessary - it's better than the alternative! I firmly believe I have the most amazing psychiatrist and counsellor in the world, but as far as my counsellor is concerned, any help she can give me is dependent on me following my psychiatrist's orders when it comes to meds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Got spine/head MRI done this morning, still a bit shaky from it.
    (Not claustrophobic normally but really, 45mins in a moving shaking banging tube with head restrained - no thanks) :o
    I am sick of being worried.
    Seeing yet another neurologist in 2 weeks and I just want answers, which I might not get, or might not want to hear.
    Its causing problems at home with arguments about money and "why are you acting like this" etc.
    No one asking me how I am with all this, and when I try and broach the topic I am told "don't be silly".
    The people around me don't know what to say, I don't know what I need to hear, so its very unfair for me to get frustrated at them. But I am very very angry/frustrated at some invisible possible illness.
    So counselling might give me someone who can actually listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I'm physically sick with anxiety, iv realised I can't be around crowds. Ugh.

I'm physically sick with anxiety, iv realised I can't be around crowds. Ugh.

Iv fallen into a deep hole, and today iv realised how deep iv really fallen. I'm so scared of life.

I was so anxious today my friend told me it looked v obvious. I met soneo e iv been dyi g to meet for ages and I just partically swallowed myself. I was so anxious God knows wat they made of me.

Iv cone to realise this anxiety and fear has taken over my life. I'm already on medication, spoken to my gp and gone for counselling...my head is in and out of 4 or 5 self help books ATM.

I'm so alone and scared

Iv fallen into a deep hole, and today iv realised how deep iv really fallen. I'm so scared of life.

I was so anxious today my friend told me it looked v obvious. I met soneo e iv been dyi g to meet for ages and I just partically swallowed myself. I was so anxious God knows wat they made of me.

Iv cone to realise this anxiety and fear has taken over my life. I'm already on medication, spoken to my gp and gone for counselling...my head is in and out of 4 or 5 self help books ATM.

I'm so alone and scared

Ah lordy. You poor thing :(

When you say that you feel alone, is there anyone at all you can turn to? Even of it's just to chatter away for a bit. I know how it is to feel alone even when there are people in your life but if you can just reach out to someone then do so.

I know this place is "only" the internet but it can provide a bit of company during the dark times. Keep posting on this thread. It's ok to be scared. It's ok to feel alone. Focus on you for the next while and go easy on yourself x

Iv spoken to 2 friends about it but I don't think they realise how bad it is. Tbh they have their own stuff going on and ATM I only sound like a broken record.

I'm really scared. I don't wanna reveal too much but I really don't have as much as people would think. I can't turn to a family member. I have none. When I see other peoples problems I only long to exchange them for mine.... No one really knows how loniness n fear can slowly torture and kill u.

I just don't feel right in the head. Iv taken so many steps back at this point. I thought I was doing good. This fuking feeling iv had all day was one I last experienced during a breakup. Even after that I thought I'd learn to never go try that again. I'm going around in circles. And I trip up every time I go around.

Living is not supposed to be this hard

Iv spoken to 2 friends about it but I don't think they realise how bad it is. Tbh they have their own stuff going on and ATM I only sound like a broken record.

I'm really scared. I don't wanna reveal too much but I really don't have as much as people would think. I can't turn to a family member. I have none. When I see other peoples problems I only long to exchange them for mine.... No one really knows how loniness n fear can slowly torture and kill u.

I just don't feel right in the head. Iv taken so many steps back at this point. I thought I was doing good. This fuking feeling iv had all day was one I last experienced during a breakup. Even after that I thought I'd learn to never go try that again. I'm going around in circles. And I trip up every time I go around.

Living is not supposed to be this hard

You are right. Living is not supposed to be this hard. Unfortunately it can be. Even for the most steady of us something can come along which destroys our status quo and make us feel scared and uncertain.

You say that the feeling you have all day is the same as what you experienced after a break up. What is that feeling? Being scared and lonely?

Ya just scared, its hard to describe but its like I'll never be enough for the world, I just can't seem to cope with some of the normal everyday things.

I'm just constantly scared, no one has my back like. I really mean no one. Some people have their parents, bros n sisters...cousins...I don't have that, its hard for some to believe that bit I really don't. The ones who have these people in their life's are just so fuking lucky n have it that bit easier. As the song goes love is all u need.

Ya just scared, its hard to describe but its like I'll never be enough for the world, I just can't seem to cope with some of the normal everyday things.

I'm just constantly scared, no one has my back like. I really mean no one. Some people have their parents, bros n sisters...cousins...I don't have that, its hard for some to believe that bit I really don't. The ones who have these people in their life's are just so fuking lucky n have it that bit easier. As the song goes love is all u need.

That does seem like a lonely place to be.

You don't need to worry about being enough for the world. What is important is that you are enough for you. That you are robust enough to not need anyone to have your back. Now believe me that is easier said than done.
    But you mentioned you're in therapy. That's great. Keep working hard at it. Every week have your session. Make sure to take your meds correctly.

I've a feeling stc that you don't love yourself very much. If you can find acceptance of who you are then it won't matter whether you are on top of a mountain or in a crowd of people, you won't feel alone x

Thank u for ur time Persepoly x

• Advertisement

No problem at all. Mind yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dolanbye

Looking for a bit of support and found this forum.

Anyway my story....

I'm 29 now and have been battling depression for the last five years.
    It started out pretty grand the first two years I was a bit down on myself but numbness kept increasing until I couldn't feel emotion any more which was after four years of it.
    I stated losing interest in everything I was interested in, Video games, Films, tv shows, friends, sport and the likes. Everything I once enjoyed doing now is boring. I'm happiest when I'm curled up in bet and awaiting drifitng off to sleep and away from everyone.

Year 5 now and everything has gotten worse. I have a decent job and was in a traning camp for around two hours around a month ago. I had to hold back the tears in the the training meeting and left after an hour and had a good cry in the bathroom over nothing. I nearly burst out in tears in front of my work colleagues. This happened in the pub with friends as well a while ago. Not much of a macho male thing is it which is the stereostype.

I have started drinking heavily the last couple of months to try and combat it but tonight ive hit wrong bottom. Can't sit still, started crying a few times and have made about 200 lists whether it to be with money or planning the week due to anxiety.

In work my tiredness and wierdness has increased. People can see that im not right and because of my anxiety i'm blurting out stupid questions e and in a state numbness in meeting when I really want to tell my work collegues to go **** themselves. I work in IT and my job is pretty stressful.

Calling in sick Monday and going to doctor. Can't take this anymore. Wish I was like when I was 22 or 23 with no problem whatsoever and could sit talking to anyway and be happy doing anything. Never had a thought of been sucicidal or anything like that.

Hopfully get on well with the doctor monday and going to sort a councillor.

Man that felt good to get off my chest even if it is strangers!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's great to get it off your chest, glad you could Dolan, i hope monday's talk with the doctor gets you on a new and better path.. Take care and keep posting :)

It's great to get it off your chest, glad you could Dolan, i hope monday's talk with the doctor gets you on a new and better path.. Take care and keep posting :)

Tks, Do doctor suggest a psyc or do you get one yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HiJacques

I know there are different states, I don't even like that term, of depression but I think it's more prevalent than anyone knows.

dolanbye wrote: »
    Tks, Do doctor suggest a psyc or do you get one yourself?

It depends. Your doctor will refer you in to the psychiatric services. It doesn't matter if you are a private or public patient. You yourself can source a psychotherapist or a psychologist.

HiJacques wrote: »
    I know there are different states, I don't even like that term, of depression but I think it's more prevalent than anyone knows.

Don't leave it go for five years like I did if you know anyone with the symptoms. I'm a bit better now after posting my rant but its horrible illness. You can't control it which i've finally learned this weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Dolan, well done for the realisation, took me more like fifteen years, and i know many who took longer.. Take it and run with it, it's not easy but better than sinking slowly in the rut.

• Advertisement

Dolan, well done for the realisation, took me more like fifteen years, and i know many who took longer.. Take it and run with it, it's not easy but better than sinking slowly in the rut.

Thanks, I've finally hit rock bottom. It was not like the first three years were terrible. I was gradually losing interest in things i liked and getting number and number with no emotion but knew something was wrong.

Anyway onto Monday and going to get my life sorted. Looking forward to it!

Advertisement