Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Hi there, just wondering if anyone would be able to help. I've been put on Edronax 4mg twice a day for the past week and it's been absolute hell. They seem to be giving me a lot of physical energy so can't sleep but my depression and anxiety have increased tenfold. I know they take a while to kick in but I really don't think that they should make me feel so much worse, I am just wondering if after a week of being on them would I be OK to just stop them completely or would I still suffer from withdrawal symptoms? I have an appointment with the pyscologist in 3 weeks and I really am not going to be able to stick out these tablets for that long. I don't know if it will make a difference but I was on lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks up until last week so don't know if that'll affect the withdrawal symptoms. Thanks a lot.

Hi there, just wondering if anyone would be able to help. I've been put on Edronax 4mg twice a day for the past week and it's been absolute hell. They seem to be giving me a lot of physical energy so can't sleep but my depression and anxiety have increased tenfold. I know they take a while to kick in but I really don't think that they should make me feel so much worse, I am just wondering if after a week of being on them would I be OK to just stop them completely or would I still suffer from withdrawal symptoms? I have an appointment with the pyscologist in 3 weeks and I really am not going to be able to stick out these tablets for that long. I don't know if it will make a difference but I was on lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks up until last week so don't know if that'll affect the withdrawal symptoms. Thanks a lot.

We can't give medical advice here but abruptly stopping psychotropic medication is usually a bad idea. They are mind altering and need to be treated with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

For anyone suffering with depression I'd recommend Reiki to complement any treatment you are currently on. It's like putting positive energy into your body and helped me a lot....I'm not advertising but just speaking from experience.
    It's not a new age hype....nothing to lose by trying it :-)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Pity the is no IM function. I have also downloaded cbt for dummies audiobook. Fell asleep listening to it the other day so going to give that a listen and I have my note pad and pen that I use with the cbt therapist. Because of the bus strike I did not want to sit in horrible traffic so instead we did a session over the phone and I pay him double when I see him.

Anyone else see a cbt therapist? If so how is it going?
    I went to CBT therapy too, I found it useful. I suspect it depends on you and on your therapist too. I was in a mind to finally fight back and do whatever it took to beat this. I pretty much slavishly did what he told me to, spurn the negative thoughts as soon as I noticed them, no wallowing, feel through any bad emotions rather than trying to suppress them but once they were dealt with, put them behind me.

I did about 5 months I think... been thinking about going back again for a tune up, no real reason except wanting to stay free of any real reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

A week is very short maybe give them a few more days and let the side effects pass. Just my few I'm on new meds too and I need to give them time. I feel your pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

linpoo wrote: »
    For anyone suffering with depression I'd recommend Reiki to complement any treatment you are currently on. It's like putting positive energy into your body and helped me a lot....I'm not advertising but just speaking from experience.
    It's not a new age hype....nothing to lose by trying it :-)

Sorry but thats exactly what it is and one does have something to lose by trying it....money in ones wallet. Running hands a couple of inches over the body to re-channel/re-balance life force 'energies'. Like a Jedi and the Force??
    The relaxation and any physical sensations from the 'procedure' very likely come from an ASMR reaction to the whole experience. Google ASMR. Waves of relaxing almost pleasurable sensations running up and down the body from the scalp, down the shoulders, back arms and legs. Almost goosebump like. Not everyone experiences ASMR but for those that do there are thousands upon thousands of 'Free' ASMR videos on youtube that can help people experience the calming relaxing effects of ASMR without the need to pay a 'Reiki Master' a fee per session to trigger the same thing.

ASMR YT videos helped me relax and sleep when I had my worst anxiety a few years ago....and it didn't cost me a penny.

ASMR...giving false credence to ALTMED 'therapies' since the year dot!

I won't be re-engaging to debate this with you because I don't want to take this very important thread off-topic. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to balance things out.

Anyone up for talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Anyone up for talking?

How are things, GF?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm in and out, here if you need me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How are you finding the new meds, Gleeso? I hope they have 'kicked in' by now.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hi Folks,

This is a great general health website :

www.webmd.com

& here are just some of the excellent presentations and articles on depression and related conditions and management

http://www.webmd.com/depression/tc/topic-overview-depression

http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=depression

You can also subscribe to email newsletters on specific topics and themes. Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I bit the bullet and finally started seeing a psychotherapist for my anxiety issues. First session went well, have another appointment in 2 weeks (he's on hols next week).

Amn't doing terribly right now- yesterday evening I managed to get a wash on and change bedlinen, so feeling quite productive (normal cycle is feeling too rubbish to do anything around the house in the evening and then feeling worse because I've done nothing).

Was grinding my teeth in my sleep last night though, so must still be feeling pretty tense subconciously.

How are things, GF?

Struggling Hugo. I'm on a new med two weeks and I'm wondering how the he'll it is going to help my anxiety. My anxiety triggers depression and I do not want to leave my room. 10 months now I am like this. Heartbreaking

Esel wrote: »
    How are you finding the new meds, Gleeso? I hope they have 'kicked in' by now.

Only on them two weeks to. I think they need longer like 4 weeks.

Struggling Hugo. I'm on a new med two weeks and I'm wondering how the he'll it is going to help my anxiety. My anxiety triggers depression and I do not want to leave my room. 10 months now I am like this. Heartbreaking

The meds will only do so much Gleeso. Has your CB therapist given you any resources to help you fight the anxiety when it comes?

Whereabouts in your body do you feel the anxiety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Really sorry to hear that. :(

It could just be the meds kicking in. I was like that a few years back when I changed meds. Fingers crossed it'll fade away soon.

The meds will only do so much Gleeso. Has your CB therapist given you any resources to help you fight the anxiety when it comes?

Whereabouts in your body do you feel the anxiety?

I know lots of ways but it doesn't work for me I try meditation. Reading. But it doesn't help. The meds aren't doing anything just yet. It's not an anxiety I can face like a phobia it's there 24/7 I get messed up thoughts and feelings about everything. I feel it throughout my body

I know lots of ways but it doesn't work for me I try meditation. Reading. But it doesn't help. The meds aren't doing anything just yet. It's not an anxiety I can face like a phobia it's there 24/7 I get messed up thoughts and feelings about everything. I feel it throughout my body

Messed up thoughts and feelings are very chaotic :(

Think about when you first began to feel this way, and when was the last time you didn't. You say it's been ten months now that you've been in this state. What happened ten months ago? Was it the med change?

What type of meditation do you practice?

I used to suffer terribly with negative thoughts, and one thing my counsellor said to me was "you aren't your thoughts, you are your thinking around your thoughts and to other people you are your actions".

That may seem trite but it corrected something for me. I thought I was being fake and phony to other people when I masked these thoughts. I thought I was a genuine terrible person pretending to be a nice guy. The truth is I'm a nice guy who is bothered by stupid untrue thoughts. To others I'm a nice guy because I act in a nice way to them. Those are the realities and its an important distinction. It hugely helped me to get to actually like myself for the first time in a long time and look at myself in the mirror and rather than think "you're **** at everything, you are a fake and if people really knew how you think, they wouldn't come near you" I began to think "yer alright, you're bothered by negative thoughts sometimes but that's not you and you don't let them impact other people either, you are an ok guy!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

In my experience mediating is very difficult when you are extremely anxious although 'meditators' would tell you that is not so. An alternative is an extremely short type of meditation which I call 'Coming To Your Senses' and you might find it useful. It should take 5 to 8 minutes.
    Usual quite place, sit and close eyes and try to relax your body. Then , in consideration of each of the senses - hearing, feeling, smelling, touching and seeing - bring each one back into your consciousness. OK they are there already except for seeing, since your eyes are closed. But consciously exercise each sense, one at a a time. For example touching - feel your fingers, your arms legs, neck etc. Last one is sight. I have found it useful occasionally just for relaxation or when typical meditation was either inappropriate - too little time - or wasn't working.
    Hope this is of some use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice here, I am overseas at the minute but have a friend back home who is in a very bad way. Suffering from very bad depression, wife left with the kids and he has told me on fb nothing means anything to him anymore and he is in a very bad place. He is due to start to therapy soon and is on a variety of meds. He has been this way for quite a while now and has been to councellors before with no real results. I have promised to give him a call later but am not sure what to say to him as it is obviously a very delicate situation. Thanks for any advice.

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice here, I am overseas at the minute but have a friend back home who is in a very bad way. Suffering from very bad depression, wife left with the kids and he has told me on fb nothing means anything to him anymore and he is in a very bad place. He is due to start to therapy soon and is on a variety of meds. He has been this way for quite a while now and has been to councellors before with no real results. I have promised to give him a call later but am not sure what to say to him as it is obviously a very delicate situation. Thanks for any advice.

Very difficult situation and I have been there myself with friends. Im on mobile so in brief, firstly listen, let him talk and get it out. Be supportive, be hopeful/positive about the future in an appropriate way. Tell him hes not alone and even tho you are abroad hes important to you and you want to help. Dont let him get into the mindset that hes a drag on you and burdening you, if be does tell him you feel valued for him to share this with you and you are both shoulder to shoulder against the problems.

If you think its necessary have some one lined up to visit him tonight.
    Mostly listen and support I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

DeVore wrote: »
    Very difficult situation and I have been there myself with friends. Im on mobile so in brief, firstly listen, let him talk and get it out. Be supportive, be hopeful/positive about the future in an appropriate way. Tell him hes not alone and even tho you are abroad hes important to you and you want to help. Dont let him get into the mindset that hes a drag on you and burdening you, if be does tell him you feel valued for him to share this with you and you are both shoulder to shoulder against the problems.

If you think its necessary have some one lined up to visit him tonight.
    Mostly listen and support I guess.

Thanks DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

PMBC wrote: »
    In my experience mediating is very difficult when you are extremely anxious although 'meditators' would tell you that is not so. An alternative is an extremely short type of meditation which I call 'Coming To Your Senses' and you might find it useful. It should take 5 to 8 minutes.
    Usual quite place, sit and close eyes and try to relax your body. Then , in consideration of each of the senses - hearing, feeling, smelling, touching and seeing - bring each one back into your consciousness. OK they are there already except for seeing, since your eyes are closed. But consciously exercise each sense, one at a a time. For example touching - feel your fingers, your arms legs, neck etc. Last one is sight. I have found it useful occasionally just for relaxation or when typical meditation was either inappropriate - too little time - or wasn't working.
    Hope this is of some use to you.

Sounds like visualisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

I know it sounds hard, but would you try and sit with your feelings, let them come, knowing they will pass, and then figure out why you are feeling that way? Instead of being scared of the thoughts, just sit with them and let them pass you by. Have you got the mindfit app? It's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

My dad has probably had mild depression all his life, has never been diagnosed but has been going to counselling for a few months. My parents separated almost 20 years ago and I always felt my dad was the worse off, that he still loved my mam much longer than she loved him. My mam got with her now partner about two years after the separation. My dad has been in a few relationships but they haven't lasted.. his most recent one finished this week. I'm really worried about him, that it will set things back n he will feel low again. I don't want him to be lonely because that's my worst fear for myself. How can I help him, be sure he'll be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

YFlyer wrote: »
    Sounds like visualisation.

It could be - I don't know anything about that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

PMBC wrote: »
    It could be - I don't know anything about that

Seems laborious.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

YFlyer wrote: »
    Seems laborious.

8 minutes sitting with your eyes closed and paying a bit of attention to the senses of your body seems laborious?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Not doing well at all today. Work is really stressing me out and I'm pretty sure I'm doing a piss poor job too.

Feel like that big black monster is following me around telling me all the negative thoughts I don't need to hear. Really want to lock the world out this weekend, but I can't as I've family staying with me. Brave face it is, so.

Advertisement