Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

An File wrote: »
    8 minutes sitting with your eyes closed and paying a bit of attention to the senses of your body seems laborious?! :confused:

20 minutes silently repeating a mantra is much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

An File wrote: »
    8 minutes sitting with your eyes closed and paying a bit of attention to the senses of your body seems laborious?! :confused:
    Trust me, it really can be for some people particularly if you're feeling restless and your concentration levels are off. For me going out for a brisk walk can be more relaxing than trying to get into a proper frame of mind to wind down and do breathing exercises. As for trying to soak in a bath to relax, that's almost impossible for me and I can usually only last about two minutes before I hop out again. That's just me, though. I appreciate everybody is different and need to find what works for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Horses for courses i think. What i can manage one day is utterly impossible the next.. Do what you feel comfortable with at the time and keep trying.. Sometimes breathing works, sometimes stomping, sometimes nothing feels right.

YFlyer wrote: »
    20 minutes silently repeating a mantra is much easier.

It depends what you mean by "easier". Sitting with your feelings is difficult. Working on yourself and facing inner demons is difficult. There are no easy fixes. I do believe that for some people this can be just too much, especially with cases of trauma. So what might be more worthwhile is doing any exercise which grounds them in the present. Noticing their surroundings, there breathing, how they are sitting, are there any physical sensations in their body.

Of course there is no one size fits all. When dealing with mental illness is really important to be aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not doing well at all today. Work is really stressing me out and I'm pretty sure I'm doing a piss poor job too.

Feel like that big black monster is following me around telling me all the negative thoughts I don't need to hear. Really want to lock the world out this weekend, but I can't as I've family staying with me. Brave face it is, so.

Just a suggestion but I just had a moment there. On my own, in my office (I am self employed, work on my own), I was listening to some classical music and a beautiful song came on and I got really upset. My dad died 6 months ago and I used to work with him, so my job is the exact opposite to the distraction that many peoples jobs are when they lose somebody close to them.

Somedays, I need to give myself some time to myself so I can "brave face it" around others. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but having a moment to myself (this can be 60 seconds or 2 hours) to allow my feelings, pain, sadness, anxiety (etc) to breath can really help.

I am working on self compassion that my therapist has suggested. Trying to replace the inner critic with things like "I am trying", "I am not perfect and that's ok", "Its ok to make mistakes", "Its ok to feel tired", "Its ok to feel vulnerable/inadequate" etc.

Again, when I type stuff here I imagine some people react to it like I do reading other peoples posts. "You make it sound so easy and come across like you are so organized and disciplined". I am on my arse, there are plenty of times I am reading my own post to remind me what was working last week or what I am not doing when the Apathy monster is chewing my ass off!

In terms of locking the world out, I get that and was only talking about my self isolation strategy when I feel low. One technique I try sometimes, is to do something I don't really want to do. Phone a friend. Go out where there will be people etc. It doesn't always help but sometimes it helps me get out of myself..

The Weekend is here and while you may be dreading it, I know you can choose to reset your expectations. I am not saying its easy, but imagine the last week or few days haven't happened. That you just woke up and have 48 hours of non working time to spend. Just try and focus on that. Accept that it might not be easy to clear your mind and focus on it, but keep pressing the reset button and maybe you will get a few minutes or hours of peace :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I really resent that things like mindfulness are even necessary. This has made me so very bitter. :(

I really resent that things like mindfulness are even necessary. This has made me so very bitter. :(

Why do you resent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Pissed off today. I met with a psych doc who was covering for my doc. He told me that I was to go back today and he was increasing my anti dep. Well I went to the appointment only to be told that it was an error as no doc is there on Friday they are all in hospital. They knew this was wrong and instead of ringing me the day before they have rescheduled my appoint for 2 weeks....and the prescription they did for me does not have the increased dosage and it was also missing one of my meds.

This has fooked me up for the whole day I feel let down and messed around. It's only my mental health like. This is why I say this country is backwards with mental health. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Sorry for the rant folks.

That is so frustrating Gleeso. You're really going through the mill :(

Do you like music? When I'm feeling a little anxious it helps to calm my insides down. I put on my headphones and my jammies and get in to bed. Then I lie on my back and just listen. I have a playlist on spotify filled with lots of of quiet instrumentals that are perfect for drifting away.

It's not always easy to do but sometimes I force myself at the beginning, ignore the desire to get up, to do something, to think, and instead just lie there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

One of those days where I'm not arsed living but also not arsed doing anything about that.

• Advertisement

Why do you resent it?

Just would like to be a normal happy person who doesn't have to do such things.

That is so frustrating Gleeso. You're really going through the mill :(

Do you like music? When I'm feeling a little anxious it helps to calm my insides down. I put on my headphones and my jammies and get in to bed. Then I lie on my back and just listen. I have a playlist on spotify filled with lots of of quiet instrumentals that are perfect for drifting away.

It's not always easy to do but sometimes I force myself at the beginning, ignore the desire to get up, to do something, to think, and instead just lie there.

Tell me about it. :( I like music but it's all. Rap and dance songs which are very energetic but I am not. It just reminds me that I cannot enjoy such things. Bloody nightmare. Just hope tomorrow is better.

Tell me about it. :( I like music but it's all. Rap and dance songs which are very energetic but I am not. It just reminds me that I cannot enjoy such things. Bloody nightmare. Just hope tomorrow is better.

*bro-hugs* I hope tomorrow is a better day there, man.

Just would like to be a normal happy person who doesn't have to do such things.

You are a "normal" person, whatever that word means. As for being happy, at some point Hugo you need to start taking responsibilty for your state of mind. The only person stopping you from being happy is you. This business of "people like us" or "I'm not normal" will only serve to keep you stuck. You are not your depression or your anxiety. You are so much more than that.

I practice mindfulness and meditation on a regular basis. It's something I enjoy but also something which helps me relax and gives me peace of mind. I consider myself to be "normal" and Happy.

Maybe you need to find something which works for you. What do you love to do? What are you passionate about? What makes you happy? Find what it is and then do it. That sounds terribly simple I know but you owe it to yourself to try.

Then you need to listen to something different, something calming. Just try it :)

What do you love to do? What are you passionate about? What makes you happy? Find what it is and then do it. That sounds terribly simple I know but you owe it to yourself to try.

I don't even know how to answer those questions! :o I've been "this" for so long now.

I will try my best to try figure out the answers to those questions though.

Thanks. :)

I don't even know how to answer those questions! :o I've been "this" for so long now.

I will try my best to try figure out the answers to those questions though.

Thanks. :)

Get a pain and paper and write. What's important to you, what makes you smile, who makes you smile, what is your ideal day, if you had a spare €1k what would you do with it, what is your dream holiday.

Get to know yourself Hugo :)

Get a pain and paper and write. What's important to you, what makes you smile, who makes you smile, what is your ideal day, if you had a spare €1k what would you do with it, what is your dream holiday.

Get to know yourself Hugo :)

That's like a food for thought buffet there. Thanks, P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

absolutely scribble your thoughts and feelings down.

if its not right, write.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get a pain and paper and write.

Made me smile! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Anyone else have Gad? Anxious about everything and anything. Just moving makes me anxious. I don't leave the apartment. I attend cbt but I feel it's lost on me because I cannot focus and take it on board. Costs alot too.

God I feel hopeless and lost. I listen to cbt for dummies and write it down but just..... Ugh.

Anyone else have Gad or severe anxiety to where they don't move out? The reason I ask is that is the way I am. I attend cbt but cannot focus and take it on board. I also list to cbt tor dummies and write stuff down but it's not helping I feel soooooo lost and hopeless hence why I focus alot on meds. It's like my mind is too stubborn

They say face your fears but I am anxious about everything.how can I face everything? Pain in my bol#ox with it all.

Anyone else have Gad or severe anxiety to where they don't move out? The reason I ask is that is the way I am. I attend cbt but cannot focus and take it on board. I also list to cbt tor dummies and write stuff down but it's not helping I feel soooooo lost and hopeless hence why I focus alot on meds. It's like my mind is too stubborn

They say face your fears but I am anxious about everything.how can I face everything? Pain in my bol#ox with it all.

Gleeso did you try to listen to soothing music?
    Lie down on your back, close your eyes and concentrate on the music and your breathing.

It may not work but you won't know unless you try.

If I lie down I won't move. I do listen to relaxation music but I already spend my time in silence from my wife. You get me?

If I lie down I won't move. I do listen to relaxation music but I already spend my time in silence from my wife. You get me?

I do but finding ways to help relax are absolutely crucial for you Gleeso. GAD is a most debilitating illness and when you're in the throes of it all you want to do is hide. You can't think straight, your insides are all panicky. In order to move beyond that state you must calm those panicky insides.

Only you can get you through this Gleeso and you will.

I do but finding ways to help relax are absolutely crucial for you Gleeso. GAD is a most debilitating illness and when you're in the throes of it all you want to do is hide. You can't think straight, your insides are all panicky. In order to move beyond that state you must calm those panicky insides.

Only you can get you through this Gleeso and you will.

Poly do you have Gad?

Poly do you have Gad?

When I was in my early twenties I was diagnosed with depression and GAD but at the time the GAD diagnosis surprised me because I was more sad than anxious. Now I did experience panic attacks and worried to the extreme about so much. So perhaps that was why that diagnosis made sense to the doc.

Now I am touch wood free from the demon that is depression. Of course I still have days where I feel down and I can still get anxious about certain things but it's in the realm of "normal". I really hate that word but you know what I mean.

Gleeso I fell right over the edge and I had two choices, stay there or climb back up and survive. It's been a hell of a journey and the single most proudest thing I have ever done in my life.

You will get there too x

When I was in my early twenties I was diagnosed with depression and GAD but at the time the GAD diagnosis surprised me because I was more sad than anxious. Now I did experience panic attacks and worried to the extreme about so much. So perhaps that was why that diagnosis made sense to the doc.

Now I am touch wood free from the demon that is depression. Of course I still have days where I feel down and I can still get anxious about certain things but it's in the realm of "normal". I really hate that word but you know what I mean.

Gleeso I fell right over the edge and I had two choices, stay there or climb back up and survive. It's been a hell of a journey and the single most proudest thing I have ever done in my life.

You will get there too x

How did you get through it Poly?

How did you get through it Poly?

I don't have a clear answer I'm afraid. In my early twenties I had CBT for a few months. It was useful to a point but it felt more like a kind of plaster which would help me to manage my thoughts and feelings but I knew without tackling the root cause of them they would always be in the way.

So I spent a long time in therapy and really looking at myself. Understanding how my pain manifested itself in my body, challenging the negative voices in my head, whenever I felt like crap instead of rushing to distract myself I would just let the feelings come. I cried so much during those times. It's what I needed to do. There was so much of myself I had cut off, so much pain and anger. When I started to face up to all of that and see the reasons for it, then I started to change.

When we are cut off from our feelings we cannot heal. It's scary to look too closely at what is really going on but that's exactly what we must do. My therapist challenged me, there was no way she was going to let me fall in to victim mode. Every suggestion she made I followed.

I read an awful lot. Irvin D Yalom, Eckhart Tolle, Babette Rothschild, Peter Levine. Something else I did was allow myself the space and time to be kind to me. If I had days where I wanted to stay in bed then that's exactly what i did. We talk a lot about the importance of empathy and compassion yet many of us don't have it for ourselves. How can we care about getting better if we don't?

What worked for me won't work for everyone but I cannot stress enough the importance of being able to feel.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are winning Poly. I cancelled my cbt as I am not feeling well at all and don't have the head for it. I feel guilty for cancelling though.
    Our son is not well today either he has man flu so the wife is looking after him and I can't drive like this so not a good day.

The only name I notice is eckhart tolle. Who are the rest? What if there is no one underlying issue and you just get like this...then what?? :( I've gone through years of therapy.

Advertisement