Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Got into the shower yesterday morning for the first time all week and it was lovely. Went into town and browsed bookshops - it's something I like doing. It's very calming. Saw loads of books I wanted to buy but am watching the money and didn't want to leave myself short for the week. Dug into a lovely tub of icecream too. Anxiety is still there in the background but mood a lot better.
    Nice to hear you had a good day. Your local public library is a fantastic resource - every book you could possibly want for no cost or very low cost. If they don't have your particular book in stock, they'll get it in from another library for 50c. In fact, the HSE have set up a 'bibliotherapy' project in conjunction with library services to use books to improve mental health - see http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/News/Campaigns/Books_can_help.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

So you no a lot of people have said you know positive things.

Im just going to waffle on here for 5 minutes been meditating for the past 3 days. I lack the ability to explain how good it feels 30 minutes ago i was feeling very stressed over a situation I got my self into...

So i was getting angry and felt like I was losing control and being irrational and anxious and some letting my toys drop

Shut down the lap top, switch of the lights put some cousins on the ground put a blanket over my self plugged in my head phones but with no music ( the ones that make you feel def )

and concentrated on my creating for 20 to 25 minutes... focussing my negative feelings to be carried out with each breath... which is what i do daily I have decided to do it twice a day as its so relaxing.

if your feel anxious nervous or low try it It takes a lot of concentration but i can promise you the clarity and calmness you gain from it is worth it

I feel happy content and calm... if your at your wits end just

try this video and take as long as you feel garrintee you itle help :)it tasks control and concintration you've nothing to loose and everything to gain... It take time don't get frustrated to you its really helpful :)

ps Im no hippy but if it works it works

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kiera wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a breakdown, recover, and never get sick again? Or is it a case with depression that once you get it, it's with you for life?

Yes, some people get one bad depression and then escape it for the rest of their lives e.g. one person close to me had a few bouts of it when she was younger but has been well for over 20 years at this stage. Others like me get depression after depression after depression. It varies from person to person. I'd focus on the here and now and let the future take care of itself if I was you.

Depressed again, ah well, at least I got a few weeks of a break from it to get stuff done in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

There are three levels, the stuff that happens, your thoughts and emotions in reaction to what happens and the awareness of your thoughts and emotions that are in reactions to events. Go to the level of the awareness.

You are not your thoughts, thinking you are your thoughts causes depression, you are the awareness behind your thoughts. Who you are is always the same and never changes, you are the same as every life form. So don't judge yourself, you are neither inferior nor superior to anyone or anything else. You are good enough as you are, achievements don't make you a better person, failures don't make you a worse person. Whatever happens you are good enough as you are.

When you unconditionally accept yourself you can't be offended. Offense can only occur when you believe who are are is your thoughts or some sort of story.

Also I'd say anyone with depression should probably limit their
    Time in the Internet as it puts you in your head. Try spend as much time as possible in nature. Like sit in a forest and listen to the sounds and watch everything while being awarenof your breath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

nesf wrote: »
    Kiera wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a breakdown, recover, and never get sick again? Or is it a case with depression that once you get it, it's with you for life?

Yes, some people get one bad depression and then escape it for the rest of their lives e.g. one person close to me had a few bouts of it when she was younger but has been well for over 20 years at this stage. Others like me get depression after depression after depression. It varies from person to person. I'd focus on the here and now and let the future take care of itself if I was you.
    I wasn't asking about me. It's someone close to me that had the breakdown. Just wondering if they'd get sick again even tho they've dealt with the issues that brought it on. Like could something new make them sick again or now that they've had treatment would they deal with it better now if something else popped up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nesf wrote: »
    Yes, some people get one bad depression and then escape it for the rest of their lives e.g. one person close to me had a few bouts of it when she was younger but has been well for over 20 years at this stage.
    Ditto. Someone I knew had a major breakdown at 20. Delusions, paranoia, despair, the works. Ended up being sectioned. Really scary stuff. Got treatment, got sorted and perfectly healthy since. A few people I knew in their adolescence had mental health episodes that required treatment(and this back in the day when it was significantly more hidden) and again in the last 2 decades no problems there.

For some reason I knew more women who had this than men? Maybe adolescence is harder for women so more likely to suffer? Maybe the men covered it up better? I don't know. There seemed to be a gender split in my anecdotal experience. EG I knew of more women who attempted suicide/hurt themselves, more "cry for help" things. I knew of more men who succeeded, often "out of the blue".

Looking back the majority of those episodes very much came across as situational. An external stress kicked it off and when that external stress was removed, passed by, then the (natural) emotional response passed by(with help) too? Then there were one or two like Nesf describes who had rolling depressions almost regardless of the external situation.

It's such a complex subject, as this thread shows. They say the word "cancer" is too small a word for the large range of illnesses it describes. The term "mental illness" trumps that by a long way. Not surprising, while we're all quite similar as people in so many ways the complexity of difference in the grey areas is pretty huge.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are three levels, the stuff that happens, your thoughts and emotions in reaction to what happens and the awareness of your thoughts and emotions that are in reactions to events. Go to the level of the awareness.

You are not your thoughts, thinking you are your thoughts causes depression, you are the awareness behind your thoughts. Who you are is always the same and never changes, you are the same as every life form. So don't judge yourself, you are neither inferior nor superior to anyone or anything else. You are good enough as you are, achievements don't make you a better person, failures don't make you a worse person. Whatever happens you are good enough as you are.

When you unconditionally accept yourself you can't be offended. Offense can only occur when you believe who are are is your thoughts or some sort of story.

Also I'd say anyone with depression should probably limit their
    Time in the Internet as it puts you in your head. Try spend as much time as possible in nature. Like sit in a forest and listen to the sounds and watch everything while being awarenof your breath.
    Great in theory and yes living in the now would likely help in not so severe cases. People who still had some control over their emotional state. However, for many that point may be passed. I could say "you want to get physically fit? OK take up walking, then running". It would certainly work alright, but it would be empty advice for someone with two broken legs. Trying might even make things worse. One size does not fit all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I'm having one of those days. Pelting rain outside, which I get to hear all the time thanks to a corrugated iron roof. Also, nothing's going right in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

had counselling this morning which was tough work. At my desk now feeling I don't know what . Flat might be the word, but I think if anyone challenged me there might be tears! I hate this feeling of nothingness, I'm not particularly down but I'm not happy either. I'm nothing

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You're not nothing.
    You've disconnected, maybe because of counselling I dunno... Its important to reconnect and "get out of your head". Stop mulling or trying to feel what you are feeling... maybe try losing yourself in something for a while, like throwing yourself into work or go to a film and stop thinking about how you are thinking :)

Karsini, sorry to hear that, somedays I crawl into bed and just wrap myself in the quilt feeling battered and think "I'll call that a draw and start again tomorrow". The joke is that it been anything but a draw but things look different in the morning. :)

Thanks Devore, needed to hear some common sense! will be at the desk for the afternoon unfortunately but will hopefully get some work done :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

neemish wrote: »
    had counselling this morning which was tough work. At my desk now feeling I don't know what . Flat might be the word, but I think if anyone challenged me there might be tears! I hate this feeling of nothingness, I'm not particularly down but I'm not happy either. I'm nothing

Well done, first few sessions are always a tough as you go through them your start to get a sense of achievement and satisfaction. Over what your doing.
    All of the above and some days will be harder then others thats the way it is:)..

But I always found after words a nice bar of chocolate and cup of coffee/tea or even herbal and a cigerate, with some relaxed music can be nice... More important then anything be proud of your self. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had no recollection of anything that happened on the Monday of my first counselling session apart from the session. It's emotionally and mentally draining but it seems to be a common enough reaction to it...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The day after my first honest counselling session I flew to Bangkok. I spent 17 hours inside a tube of people I didnt know with my brain for company and I spent just about every minute of it thinking about what had just happened. Then I spent 35 days in caves, being attacked by monkeys, calling hawks, drinking cocktails 118 floors up and seeing a good chunk of asia and none of it was as wild as what was going on in my head. Great experience but very intense... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

Hanging in there but have a sh1t load of anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Mother reckons Cognative Behavioural therapy might help me although the sessions are a bit pricey.

Having good days and bad days but during the bads days there are times where I feel like I'm going completely insane. One bad day I was walking along the stretch of the Shannon river in Limerick from the canal to the UL and I was fantasizing about chucking myself in. When I got to that derelict old watch tower there and took a closer look inside it I felt nervous cos I feared a piece of it would come down on top of me. During that bout of nervousness I thought to myself "Hmm, seems deep down I really don't wanna top myself after all"

Tried Efexor but I hated the side effects (shaking, sweats, yawning all the time). Think I'll just save up for the therapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I had my psychologist appointment yesterday. I was quite happy with it. She seems nice, and easy to talk to. She seems to understand me easily. It's only an assessment at this point, but I'm feeling optimistic about it - though cautiously so, after the experiences I've had so far, it'd be silly to get my hopes up.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I had no recollection of anything that happened on the Monday of my first counselling session apart from the session. It's emotionally and mentally draining but it seems to be a common enough reaction to it...

The gas thing is I've been with the same therapist for three years. Am usually ok, but some days it just hits you harder than others. When I was with my last therapist I used to go home to bed for an hour afterwards. Unfortunately, work doesn't allow for that at the moment.

I think people think I just go for a "chat". i don't even bother trying to explain that it's so much more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

i am nervous to so see a therapist,does that sound silly?? and its a bit expensive,is there a way i could speak to someone that i could afford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

candycock wrote: »
    i am nervous to so see a therapist,does that sound silly?? and its a bit expensive,is there a way i could speak to someone that i could afford?

not at all! We all get nervous sometimes :)
    i was terrified going to my GP but its completely worth it!

had a bit of a bad day today i was ok this morning as i was cracking jokes about my exams
    but i really started to think about them...it started to sink in and im actually fit to cry im so close to tears at this stage
    they are stressing me out so much and im letting them get to me
    i know i shouldnt ive been trying to keep a positive mental attitude but sometimes i just cant and i just want to say "fúck it" and head back to bed and hide from the world

but i am trying so hard to actually be myself again and try balance stress level with exams and that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I finished my first year of college yesterday after dropping out three times previously due to different issues with mental health. To say I'm happy right now would probably be an understatement.

I really didn't think I'd get here. Even starting college last September I still had niggling fears of relapses but I took it one day at a time and I made it. I know that at times it can seem like you're never gonna get to the places you wanna be, but don't ever give up. Don't stop dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I think I might be ****ing nuts.

As I have said in this thread before I am agoraphobic, haven't been more than about a 30 minute walking distance from my house in over a year.

Myself and my fiance recently bought a house about an hour and a half drive away. Moving in about 2 months.

I guess it will be an interesting challenge but I also can't help wondering if i have bitten off more than i can chew.:confused:

I think it's actually unusual not to be nervous before seeing a therapist for the first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

not at all! We all get nervous sometimes :)
    i was terrified going to my GP but its completely worth it!

had a bit of a bad day today i was ok this morning as i was cracking jokes about my exams
    but i really started to think about them...it started to sink in and im actually fit to cry im so close to tears at this stage
    they are stressing me out so much and im letting them get to me
    i know i shouldnt ive been trying to keep a positive mental attitude but sometimes i just cant and i just want to say "fúck it" and head back to bed and hide from the world

but i am trying so hard to actually be myself again and try balance stress level with exams and that!

I'd say you should stop trying to be yourself. Let yourself be and feel as you are. Resistance to your feelings often caused suffering.

Another thing I'd say forget about this positive mental attitude, just let things be without labelling them positive or negative.

If you're in Dublin, check out MyMind.ie for affordable early intervention counselling.

Meeting with a psychologist next week to do with renewing my work contract. terrified! Used to counsellors, therapists, drs, but worried my contract won't be renewed

Meeting with a psychologist next week to do with renewing my work contract. terrified! Used to counsellors, therapists, drs, but worried my contract won't be renewed

This sounds quite unusual. Have your employers requested that the psych does some kind of assessment of your status?

• Advertisement

This sounds quite unusual. Have your employers requested that the psych does some kind of assessment of your status?

Yes - I've missed several months of work with depression so they're going through a process of assessing if I'm fit to do my job. If I don't pass, I'm going to have trouble getting another job:eek:

Advertisement