Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I HAVE NEVER BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DEPRESSION.

I just told my gp i had it and he was all 4 it. Ive tried to top myself twice, at least, so surely i must be depressed. Counsellors (genuinely good 'uns, trust me) are saying i need a diagnnosis.

I'm in limbo.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I told my GP i had depression, 5 or 6 yrs ago, for the sake of honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Lost my mother to depression last year.

She was 49.

I'm not depressed. Luckily.

I did however seek help to get over the impact (23 at the time)

Just don't fear this. "Topping" oneself is not the answer.. I know now its a preprogrammed way of the mind but ill never be complete again..

To this day im still lost without my best friend.

Aurin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Has anyone found going to a doctor helps social anxiety? I'm trying to get the courage to go but I have a feeling there's nothing they can do except send me to cbt but I'm too socially anxious to go. So maybe it would be a waste of time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can it hurt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

phi3 wrote: »
    Has anyone found going to a doctor helps social anxiety? I'm trying to get the courage to go but I have a feeling there's nothing they can do except send me to cbt but I'm too socially anxious to go. So maybe it would be a waste of time.

Even talking about it to someone may give you some relief/make it easier for you. Some doctors can be very understanding. Do you have a regular doctor you go to? Or that someone could recommend to you?

Larianne wrote: »
    Even talking about it to someone may give you some relief/make it easier for you. Some doctors can be very understanding. Do you have a regular doctor you go to? Or that someone could recommend to you?
    I don't go to doctors unless totally necessary. Or anyone else either

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I think now might be one of those times.

I think now might be one of those times.

Well I've lived with it this long. So it's just continuing as I am

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If it's impacting your life, would you not say its necessary? Going to someone for help is really hard, I'm not denying that but it can be a huge relief.

• Advertisement

Well I've lived with it this long. So it's just continuing as I am

You wouldn't be posting here if it didn't affect you...I suspect there's a part of you that really feels they should go - continuing as you are can be so, so detrimental. Wouldn't you want to give it a try and potentially feel a lot better?

Larianne wrote: »
    If it's impacting your life, would you not say its necessary? Going to someone for help is really hard, I'm not denying that but it can be a huge relief.

But what can they do?

You wouldn't be posting here if it didn't affect you...I suspect there's a part of you that really feels they should go - continuing as you are can be so, so detrimental. Wouldn't you want to give it a try and potentially feel a lot better?

I do know I should go. But it just feels so hard. It seems easier to live in hell every day. That's how hard it is.

I do know I should go. But it just feels so hard. It seems easier to live in hell every day. That's how hard it is.

Stepping outside the hellish gates is easier. Everyone reading this (myself included) knows how hard it is. If you were diabetic, you'd seek medical help. This is no different...you're still seeking help from a pro. These people (counsellors, psychiatrists, psychologists, whatever) are professionally trained and know what they're doing. They've seen countless cases like yours before so they know what to expect and can help you through this.

I guess I don't know what it feels like to be happy and confident. So what you never had you never miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I guess I don't know what it feels like to be happy and confident. So what you never had you never miss.

That's wholly true. But I suppose you have interest of sorts, discussion forums, fashion, PDAs, (yes I stalked your profile). Think of it as an interest or hobby you have yet to discover. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    That's wholly true. But I suppose you have interest of sorts, discussion forums, fashion, PDAs, (yes I stalked your profile). Think of it as an interest or hobby you have yet to discover. :)

Jaysus, I didn't know I had a profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

It's sad to think that money may be an issue with people seeking help. Just struck me with Phi3 there saying she only goes to the doctor when necessary, which is true of many people with all kinds of illnesses cause it costs so much.

I'd be afraid to tot up how much my depression has cost me! Regular doctor visits (thankfully my doctor was nice and only charged me ever second visit if I was just in for a chat,) my meds cost up to €80 a month, and private counselling. Now it was totally worth every penny, but it was tough on my low income, not sure how I could afford it all if I wasn't living at home and working.

I'm a student in Canada now and my health insurance covers all doctor's visits, meds and counselling. I am milking it while I can!

But unless you have a medical card in Ireland, it can be tough to ask for help if you don't have the means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Well put Princess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

So on thursday I had my first couselling session in four years, It was pretty tough, I talked, told the counselor about my problems.

I think i gave a good run down of were my problems are and he's specializes in cognitive therapy... Which is what I need to work on...
    thursday night and Friday, i was a mess trying to pretend everything was ok to be honest I just wanted to cry my eyes out. Its amazing how I've let so many people affect me in my life.. for the negative.

Ive been avoiding my computer and getting trapped sitting on boards and stuff i post on my phone when I'm out and about which is cool but generally trying to keep things to a mimium and text people saying hello and stuff and just making more of and effort with my friends and they've been fantastic :) Thats the one thing Il say I've got some top class people who really do care about me which makes me feel good.. I miss this girl i know we kinda parted tracks I hope she comes back because I really do miss her but right now I gotta put my self first.

My next session is on friday I've been doing home work, I've written some short accounts of what happened to me as kid, teenager and adult in certain moments so when i go in I have a rough idea what I want to deal wit, Tho my inner critic has been noisy, bullying my self and just spreading self dout every were. I think he maybe the next chopping board.

The way I look at counselling is I'm there to fix a problem i except I've got problems and I deal with them and basically get to brass tacks... I except change before it happens... Ive gone before a reaped the effects with open arms this a reset I've needed..

Hope every one keeps the chin up and enjoys the good weather does wonders for our moods :)

Snowie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Health problems, intelligence, over thinking things to a dangerous level have left me a bit...
    odd

It's sad to think that money may be an issue with people seeking help. Just struck me with Phi3 there saying she only goes to the doctor when necessary, which is true of many people with all kinds of illnesses cause it costs so much.

I'd be afraid to tot up how much my depression has cost me! Regular doctor visits (thankfully my doctor was nice and only charged me ever second visit if I was just in for a chat,) my meds cost up to €80 a month, and private counselling. Now it was totally worth every penny, but it was tough on my low income, not sure how I could afford it all if I wasn't living at home and working.

I'm a student in Canada now and my health insurance covers all doctor's visits, meds and counselling. I am milking it while I can!

But unless you have a medical card in Ireland, it can be tough to ask for help if you don't have the means.

I couldn't agree more...I went to the GP last week for a chest infection and it's bankrupted me for the remainder of the month. I'm meant to go out for a good friends birthday this weekend, and trying to say 'let's stay in for a few drinks before we go out' and not sound too scabby is difficult.

My parents help me out (psychiatric visits every 4 months or so cost about €160, and the meds cost...I can't remember, but I take 3 a day and it works out about €1.88 per tablet) because I literally couldn't afford to get myself sorted otherwise. I don't want them helping me as they're in their 60s and shouldn't be looking after me anymore but unfortunately (maybe fortunately, really) it's worth it in the end. I've come to terms with it, and I'm lucky to have them. I tried and failed to get a medical card and/or a GP visit card, I'm just over the threshold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah everyone is forever telling you to get councelling - but they clearly have no idea how much regular counselling costs!
    There are cheap councellors who take a donation rather than a fee as such - but I've gone to a fare few of them, and I have always found them rubbish.
    Unfortunately the ones that are any use at all seem to cost a fortune.
    It seems as though good mental health is a rich persons game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Yeah everyone is forever telling you to get councelling - but they clearly have no idea how much regular counselling costs!
    There are cheap councellors who take a donation rather than a fee as such - but I've gone to a fare few of them, and I have always found them rubbish.

Check mymind.ie for a lower-cost option, if you're in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

way i see it is.. at the moment Im pretty all over the place in terms of creativity and doing what I want to do...

How ever 60 euros out of my weekly budget and no social life of the norm at the moment is worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Am absolutely blessed that my therapist sees me a reduced fee so that i can go twice a week. She's a gem, and I hope that the sacrifices in terms of social life etc.. will be worth it in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

neemish wrote: »
    Am absolutely blessed that my therapist sees me a reduced fee so that i can go twice a week. She's a gem, and I hope that the sacrifices in terms of social life etc.. will be worth it in the long run

I went to a guy like that before. More in it to genuinely help people than to make money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Until I was a few weeks into therapy I didn't realize the way I was feeling was not usual. Looking back, there were signs telling me that I clearly wasn't happy (although that doesn't mean I was sad).

It was the best decision I ever made to stick with it, but also the hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

But what can they do?

Alot more then any of us can do over a keyboard..

Just do it. Weight off shoulders...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Life is like a large boulder tied to your feet constantly dragging you into the depths.
    You are in a constant battle against gravity to keep your head above the water and if you stop even for a moment you'll be pulled into the dark.

Sometimes you find yourself strong and the currents work with you to keep you afloat on this ocean and you swim through the roughest of seas but often you can get tired and when tempests rage overhead, you find yourself sinking into the abyss. And its sometimes during this journey below that your discover what lies in the darkness. The creatures that amaze you, the ones that frighten you, the ones that can consume you and the ones that can save you. But you need to remember you're only a visitor in this world and you have to get back to the surface before your breath runs out, no matter what it takes... Its these moments of desperation that cause you to grow stronger and understand what it means to be alive.

Advertisement