Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't know. I don't know life, I don't understand it. To quote that House episode from the other week 'Life is pain'

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MissDepressed

DeVore wrote: »
    I know that ache, that desire to just simply be held. Its like a hunger and its so strong its made me physically unwell at times.

So, I'm giving you a big hug right now..... in my miiiiiiind :)

But this thread cant always sustain you and it needs to be the first step in your decision to get yourself help and beat this thing. You arent alone, we're here too :)

I promise I have tried to get help-psychiatrists, psychologists, medication, even told a close friend---I have tried to get help thats the thing, Im not just sitting on my arse feeling sorry for myself and hoping it will go away.

I feel like I have accepted now that it wont go away..I cannot live with this painful knowledge any longer..

Thanks for listening and not being judgemental...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

For anyone under 30 luckily I didn't have Internet to vent so I just kept it all pent up til it faded; around 30 besides I'd only be prone to the possibility of relaying it only compounding it; confirming it .. set-in-text type thing. At nearly 35 I may well be at my peak anyhow but I do feel more content n therefor younger than that depressed n bedevilled 18yr old.

It'll only bolster you the longer you hang in there, n I only forsaw even less of a youth into older age but here we are.. I wouldn't have even been communicating via text; I don't think so I guess ye are braver than I was already but I didn't like not being the completed article either just didn't realize that's what it was. not something to be rushed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

DeVore wrote: »
    I know that ache, that desire to just simply be held. Its like a hunger and its so strong its made me physically unwell at times.

So, I'm giving you a big hug right now..... in my miiiiiiind :)

But this thread cant always sustain you and it needs to be the first step in your decision to get yourself help and beat this thing. You arent alone, we're here too :)

I promise I have tried to get help-psychiatrists, psychologists, medication, even told a close friend---I have tried to get help thats the thing, Im not just sitting on my arse feeling sorry for myself and hoping it will go away.

I feel like I have accepted now that it wont go away..I cannot live with this painful knowledge any longer..

Thanks for listening and not being judgemental...

Living through pain is hard. Extremely bloody hard at times. But you can learn to cope and in time you will. There will be good days, bad days and possibly dark days but you'll come through them. Just got to keep believing and when those good days come enjoy every bit of them.

There are lots of things we know that hurt us but equally so there are things we don't yet know. People and experiences we have yet to like.
    You finished a thesis yesterday, today you can focus on learning something new.

It is hard but amid all the negative streams of foul knowledge there is positive stuff. Just because it isn't currently accessible doesn't mean it didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hey,

Everyone, hope your all feeling a little better... Mmm so the past weeks been interesting.. For the past 18 years I've been living with something that I've never told any one...

I think in ways I have to, keeping it to my self is no longer an option. I don't think I care about retribution or anything but I just need to tell some one...

I'm just sick of holding on to this time in my life... My childhood should of been happy... Yet it was taken away from me with pain and hurt, humiliation suffering an experience that's going on near 18 years I'm soo sick of feeling like this...

I'm sick of been angry at some one.... Or even wasting my valuable brain power on some one like this....

I want this gone... I need it gone... I just wish I knew how...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Snowie wrote: »
    Hey,

Everyone, hope your all feeling a little better... Mmm so the past weeks been interesting.. For the past 18 years I've been living with something that I've never told any one...

I think in ways I have to, keeping it to my self is no longer an option. I don't think I care about retribution or anything but I just need to tell some one...

I'm just sick of holding on to this time in my life... My childhood should of been happy... Yet it was taken away from me with pain and hurt, humiliation suffering an experience that's going on near 18 years I'm soo sick of feeling like this...

I'm sick of been angry at some one.... Or even wasting my valuable brain power on some one like this....

You do know how ....

By posting the above you've made the first step.. I'm no expert but, talk is good for any problem.

It will build up in your head and seem much worse, let it out.

:-) (+ lil internet hug)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hey,

Well you've started, and to quote that famous philosopher Joey The Lips Fagan "I believe in starts".

So what's next for you could be an appointment with a counsellor or a psychiatrist or an organisation that represents children, maybe barnardos or one in four?

Take it a step at a time, and mind yourself

foxinsox wrote: »
    You do know how ....

By posting the above you've made the first step.. I'm no expert but, talk is good for any problem.

It will build up in your head and seem much worse, let it out.

:-) (+ lil internet hug)

thanks for the hug :)..

Ive been speaking about it for the last couple of weeks :). I know all about building up things in your head :)... But this is emotional sadistic abuse, and well talking about it just doesn't seem like its enough.. my counselor understands why.. hell I understand why just talking about makes me feel better... But.. I want something else.

thanks for the foxy lurve :cool: :)
    Well you've started, and to quote that famous philosopher Joey The Lips Fagan "I believe in starts".

So what's next for you could be an appointment with a counsellor or a psychiatrist or an organisation that represents children, maybe barnardos or one in four?

Take it a step at a time, and mind yourself

Ive been going to counciling of and on for four years. going on friday My new counselor is cool ..

Whats next? I dunno to be honest, something Im still maybe trying to work out in terms of fücked up o meter its uncharted territory Im getting my head around it. But in saying that Im aware of it...

While the pain has lessened over the past few months I still i dunno Im just trying to take every day as it comes... :)

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, just because you're not where you want to be just now, doesn't mean you won't get there.

Thought people might like this wonderful video, which Pieta House has just put up on their Facebook page

You can watch it here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Thats a lovely video :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It's so important we learn how to stop thinking or to become lost in thought. Watch the clip below, stick with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFDfR47dl4&sns=em

Was just wondering does anyone have any good relaxation techniques for getting to sleep? I think that if i had a few proper nights sleep then maybe i could wake up feeling like I actually want to get up..

I looked on youtube and theres loads of "sleep music" and meditation and things, has anyone tried any of these? I have a few days off now before I go back to work so would love to just be able to lie back, free my mind and gently doze off (for a day or two preferably!)...that would be absolute heaven for me.....that is apart from being heavily sedated or something :)

Appreciate any help x

There's a few things you could do -
    Exercise
    Yoga
    Breathing exercises
    Put a drop of lavender under your pillow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Was just wondering does anyone have any good relaxation techniques for getting to sleep? I think that if i had a few proper nights sleep then maybe i could wake up feeling like I actually want to get up..

I listen to a download of a guy called Andrew Johnson....I love the sound of his voice (a soft Scottish lilt). He has a series of cds/downloads. Works for me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Can't remember if I posted this before, but I really like it.
    It's just a nice visual thing with music and inspirational quotes.
    - Awaken

I looked on youtube and theres loads of "sleep music" and meditation and things, has anyone tried any of these? I have a few days off now before I go back to work so would love to just be able to lie back, free my mind and gently doze off (for a day or two preferably!)...that would be absolute heaven for me.....that is apart from being heavily sedated or something :)

Appreciate any help x

I downloaded an album called White Noise for Babies and I play it on my iPod when going to sleep (my husband is quite the snorer!)

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, just because you're not where you want to be just now, doesn't mean you won't get there.

I apricate that... :)
    But some times you gotta grab the bull bye the horns wrestle it to the ground, and beat the living crap out of it...

neemish wrote: »

I listen to a download of a guy called Andrew Johnson....I love the sound of his voice (a soft Scottish lilt). He has a series of cds/downloads. Works for me :-)
    Sharrow wrote: »
    Can't remember if I posted this before, but I really like it.
    It's just a nice visual thing with music and inspirational quotes.
    - Awaken
    I downloaded an album called White Noise for Babies and I play it on my iPod when going to sleep (my husband is quite the snorer!)

Thanks everyone! Actually kind of looking forward to the next few nights now so I can put them to the test!
    Also I was just wondering (wow ive been doing nothing but think lately!) does anyone currently or ever tried to attend some sort of self-help meeting or something? I think Id be too scared to say anything initially but I think I would really like to hear other people speak about similar experiences and how they are getting through it? Maybe I wont feel so alone then..apart from here and a weekly cbt session I have no-one...and its those days that I am at my worst..my psychiatrist mentioned recovery.ie awhile back? Any experiences of anything like this? Or do u think that they would be helpful? xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Thanks everyone! Actually kind of looking forward to the next few nights now so I can put them to the test!
    Also I was just wondering (wow ive been doing nothing but think lately!) does anyone currently or ever tried to attend some sort of self-help meeting or something? I think Id be too scared to say anything initially but I think I would really like to hear other people speak about similar experiences and how they are getting through it? Maybe I wont feel so alone then..apart from here and a weekly cbt session I have no-one...and its those days that I am at my worst..my psychiatrist mentioned recovery.ie awhile back? Any experiences of anything like this? Or do u think that they would be helpful? xx

I'm sure there's many in here would like to know how you get on with those sleep things.

I tried the Aware meetings. Depending on what area you're in, there could be local meetings on for people with anxiety/depression. In the first meeting, it's generally recommended you don't talk, just listen. and then if you want to go back you share as much or as little as you want. there's no real advice given, it's just really to be able to express yourself to somebody I think, and to get a feeling for how others cope. It's odd to sit there and listen to how bad some people can be (well in comparison to me anyway).

I didn't find it much use, as I need active help, but if you just want to vent or whatever it could be useful. google Aware and go to their site. you'll be able to find the nearest meeting group.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

neemish wrote: »

I was thinking of going to an aware meeting (in drogheda) but for personal reasons havent gotten around to it. My advice is to do whatever you are comfortable doing at your own leisure. I cant speak for everybody but I find once I have sort of decided to do something (social event - councelling) I sometimes feel under pressure to attend, even if i know I might not be up for it, the day/night of the event. I find that by saying to myself "you know what, I intend on going, but if I dont feel up to it, I wont and I wont feel bad for doing so". You need to try to value yourself and give your own rehabilitation its own time to work itself out. Allow yourself to be very choosy about your time and how you go about trying to "fix" yourself. You deserve the time to work on your health and you will only benefit if you put aside the required time you feel you need.

In terms of sleeping tips, I have suffered from insomnia in the past. The best thing for me was excercise (tires you out), but I find the hardest thing is switching off at night. Some odd tips I use are that I try and think of things that I enjoy and focus on things that make me happy. Sounds simple, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Also, If I am lieing in bed and cant sleep I sort threaten myself to take the dogs out for a walk if I dont get asleep within 20 mins (or something like that). I dont want to go for a walk at 1am, but its sort of trying to double bluff whatever the hell is keeping me up into thinking that I want to stay up (like when you have to get up to work in the morning and you could sleep no probs at this time). . Dont watch TV in bed, try reading (I recently got into comics because I am not a big reader)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Another weekend is looming

I apricate that... :)
    But some times you gotta grab the bull bye the horns wrestle it to the ground, and beat the living crap out of it...

Absolutely! Beat the sh't out of that mutha!

I found aware to be great at times (not always however), really depends on the group and how it's run. I know it can seem very daunting to put yourself out there at times so there's no rush in deciding attending or not yet.

Grow would be another group that may or may not be your thing - it's something similar to AA in how it's run. Here's their site: http://www.grow.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

jammstarr wrote: »
    Another weekend is looming

Are you looking forward to it or dreading it?

Are you looking forward to it or dreading it?

I'm always a bit of a Negative Nelly but especially so on the weekends.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I find I have to be very mindful of negative thoughts or they reinforce themselves.
    I was away from my desk for 2 days there and it was good to disconnect.

Could do with the good weather coming back now... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭neilr4

My brother committed ('completed' I suppose is the better term) suicide in july 2011. I suffer(ed) from depression myself and never would've thought my younger brother's problems were worse than mine!!

A guy I got chatting to a couple of weeks back recommended a book 'I don't want to talk about it' by Terrence Real. It's about depression in males and certainly hits the nail on the head.......

It's currently out of print but I got a copy on ebay fairly cheap, I can't recommend this book highly enough!

N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I was watching a few episodes of Criminal Minds last night and one of the episodes ended with this lovely quote that made me smile a little.:)
    Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.

Advertisement