Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

Karsini wrote: »
    That's exactly what happened to me. When I did my Leaving I was at the "I don't care anymore" stage so didn't put much effort into it. I did okay on paper but the points score was quite low.

Me too, my education was completely ruined by depression, I did well enough in my Junior Cert, without putting in any effort, I was very capable, but by the time the Leaving came round I'd been to hell and hadn't come back yet. I know now I'll never have an education (going back isn't an option for me, I've tried but studying just isn't for me), but things have and can improve. I'm back working again for the first time in years too and know with hands on training I can make up for what I lack in academics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hate to admit it but I think I'm falling victim to depression. I kind of copped on when I tried to distract myself more and more with drink and wanted to start drinking earlier and earlier in the day but the final straw came when I sought out hard drugs. Thankfully never took them but I was close.
    That's kind of bad considering I'm only 18.

I'm very reluctant to admit this but I don't want things getting worse.
    Can't say I know what to do now though?

There's a strong possibility I'll delete this post if don't feel comfortable with it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

1ZRed wrote: »
    I hate to admit it but I think I'm falling victim to depression. I kind of copped on when I tried to distract myself more and more with drink and wanted to start drinking earlier and earlier in the day but the final straw came when I sought out hard drugs. Thankfully never took them but I was close.

There's a strong possibility I'll delete this post if don't feel comfortable with it anymore.

Too late now. Admitting that you might be (even if you aren't) is vitally important. Bottling things up inside you with the potential of them growing roots and spreading is the worst possible thing you could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Get to your GP ASAP. Don't put it off man.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

i think i suffer from depression and its wrecking my life..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 LambChop...

I wish my problems had names .

Realising that I suffered from an illness and instead of battling it to be better, treating it to be better, was the step out of the living hell that was my life for ten years. For too many years I'd been told "You can overcome this!" and fought with it, telling myself it was because I wasn't fighting hard enough, until a doctor said to me "You need to treat this, not fight with this"; and found that treatment is a much more effective battle plan. Just thought I'd share that with people in case it rings a bell and helps anyone out there have the same enlightening experience as I did.

I will probably never be "better", but I cope, get by, and life has never truly been better.

Varied wrote: »
    Get to your GP ASAP. Don't put it off man.

I know what I should do but I'm so bad at expressing my feelings to anyone. I'm seemingly very open but really I'm actually quite guarded.
    I'd honestly feel very uncomfortable telling somebody this.

I know, how ****ed up am I!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I wish my problems had names .

The name is irrelevant, that's just an arrangement of letters. It's the concept that's important and that can always be described with the words, any words. :)

I know what I should do but I'm so bad at expressing my feelings to anyone. I'm seemingly very open but really I'm actually quite guarded.
    I'd honestly feel very uncomfortable telling somebody this.

I know, how ****ed up am I!:rolleyes:

They are usually good at getting It out of you without making you uncomfortable. I used to be the same tbh.

• Advertisement

Varied wrote: »
    They are usually good at getting It out of you without making you uncomfortable. I used to be the same tbh.

It would be a big step to overcome my pride and admit it straight out. It's shameful that I'm so embarrassed about feeling this way but I do.
    To add to the problems I'm also gay and not fully ok with that even after coming out to a few people.
    It's no wonder I'm abusing things since I've been bottling up so much.

It would be a big step to overcome my pride and admit it straight out. It's shameful that I'm so embarrassed about feeling this way but I do.
    To add to the problems I'm also gay and not fully ok with that even after coming out to a few people.
    It's no wonder I'm abusing things since I've been bottling up so much.

Well the good thing about a GP is that he/she is not someone that you have to face everyday, you can go in and have a chat with them without worrying about it coming out to anyone. Make the appointment and that's half the battle.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

When I start to really get in on myself about stuff, I use laughter to take its power away. So, when I start with the "you've never amounted to anything" stuff, I imagine it as a bitter spiteful person saying it and I laugh them off as being just a nasty person who has no power over me. Its kinda hard to explain but it requires understand that its not you and to sort of personify the depression an then laugh at its pathetic attempts to hurt you. Thats what I do anyway... it isnt always easy. :)

Eathrin wrote: »
    Depression has been such an absolute weight on my shoulders for the past few years!
    I thought the anti-depressants would help but I still feel down so often.
    I'm doing my Leaving Cert at the moment, it's not easy when you have this handicap let me tell you. I'm actually quite naturally intelligent, to squander everything I am now that I'm doing exams especially tough. I'm not going to get the grades which best represent me because of this. I am very ashamed of myself right now.
    But my question is, is my seeming laziness, lack of motivation and inability to work outside of school a flaw of my own, or is it something directly linked to my depression?
    It's killing me inside that I am wasting away my potential.

I can relate to this. I did my leaving cert last year while more or less struggling silently with my sexuality which just left me feeling like "what's the point of this ****".
    I did alright and got all high Bs (5 honours and a pass) but I didn't get the points which best represented me either.
    Like you, I was just unmotivated and felt I was wasting my potential. I honestly thought I was going to have to repeat but I surprised myself.

I hope you surprise yourself as well and get enough points to get a course you really want. Once you have that, the points mean nothing.
    Good luck finishing up the leaving:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you can't talk to your GP about it, try writing it all down, and just hand over the note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just another thing that I found really helpful was sports/exercise and a healthy diet... especially sports where other people are involved. I know it can be very tough and the last thing you want to do is to get up and do something but it really is worth it.

I remember when I was really down I started drinking a lot, was back smoking and wasn't doing much exercise. I went to the doctor and had a good conversation about what I was feeling - I didn't think it was depression, I knew there was something wrong but I didn't know what. I go medicated and he told me that I should go back to my sports, lay off the drink, eat better and get my sleep. I do all bar the sleep as that has always been an issue as I tend to over think but a friend gave me some great advice... have a notepad and a pen beside the bed, if you are being kept awake with something that is troubling you, write it down and put it out of your mind; you will deal with it tomorrow - I find this helps.

This is what is wrong with this country, if you had the flu people would have no issue with telling it straight out. If you broke your arm you wouldn't be embarrassed (well unless you done something stupid). We need to change the attitude of how people perceive depression, its nothing to be embarrassed about and if people were comfortable about talking about it, then a lot of people could be saved. It needs to be out in the open, its not taboo and don't ever feel embarrassed about talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

DeVore wrote: »
    When I start to really get in on myself about stuff, I use laughter to take its power away. So, when I start with the "you've never amounted to anything" stuff, I imagine it as a bitter spiteful person saying it and I laugh them off as being just a nasty person who has no power over me. Its kinda hard to explain but it requires understand that its not you and to sort of personify the depression an then laugh at its pathetic attempts to hurt you. Thats what I do anyway... it isnt always easy. :)

It's a great way to deal with it though for two reasons. One, depression is viewed as a separate entity to one's personality and being (which I personally think is a great tool against depression); two you're giving two fingers to said separate entity!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

seems like alot of people call there normal up and downs in life depresion like dey tink that bein happy all the time is normal and if your not u must be in depresed. Every one has ups an downs dnt mean ur derpresd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

seems like alot of people call there normal up and downs in life depresion like dey tink that bein happy all the time is normal and if your not u must be in depresed. Every one has ups an downs dnt mean ur derpresd

What posts are you going by there Deus Ex Machina? Seems to me you may have cherry picked a comment or two throughout the thread, as otherwise you'd find that it is quite the opposite.
    Your attitude is what contributes to the stigma that is so prevalent in this country. Clinical depression is very different than the ups and downs of daily life and it is my guess that had you any experience of the very real pain of depression, you'd have more sense than to type something so ignorant.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Just another thing that I found really helpful was sports/exercise and a healthy diet... especially sports where other people are involved. I know it can be very tough and the last thing you want to do is to get up and do something but it really is worth it.

I remember when I was really down I started drinking a lot, was back smoking and wasn't doing much exercise. I went to the doctor and had a good conversation about what I was feeling - I didn't think it was depression, I knew there was something wrong but I didn't know what. I go medicated and he told me that I should go back to my sports, lay off the drink, eat better and get my sleep. I do all bar the sleep as that has always been an issue as I tend to over think but a friend gave me some great advice... have a notepad and a pen beside the bed, if you are being kept awake with something that is troubling you, write it down and put it out of your mind; you will deal with it tomorrow - I find this helps.

This is what is wrong with this country, if you had the flu people would have no issue with telling it straight out. If you broke your arm you wouldn't be embarrassed (well unless you done something stupid). We need to change the attitude of how people perceive depression, its nothing to be embarrassed about and if people were comfortable about talking about it, then a lot of people could be saved. It needs to be out in the open, its not taboo and don't ever feel embarrassed about talking about it.

I started getting back to training about a month ago but I slowed down a lot. I know it does help me out when I have a lot on my mind so I have to make a real effort to get back to it again. Like you I don't feel like I'm full-on depressed but there is something there. Like, I'm not myself I don't feel happy or sad . It's a really strange feeling.

As for drink, I'm a heavy drinker whenever I'm out but I suppose I'm lucky because I was sick for the last 3 weeks which basically destroyed my endurance, so I'm pretty much taking it easy for a while.

One thing I don't want though is medication. There are too many complications with them, most worryingly, low sex drive and reduced performance.
    I'd rather be depressed than lose my sex drive tbh!

• Advertisement

That's not a very solid basis for remaining miserable.

Sarky wrote: »
    That's not a very solid basis for remaining miserable.

What are you saying? That my problems aren't severe enough to keep me feeling miserable? That's kind of ignorant to think you know my issues better than I do.

They run deeper then I let on or let you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

What are you saying? That my problems aren't severe enough to keep me feeling miserable? That's kind of ignorant to think you know my issues better than I do.

No I think they were saying that the possibility of losing your sex drive is not a good enough reason for the almost certainty of remaining miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I think he was referring to this part
    I'd rather be depressed than lose my sex drive tbh!

I thought it was quite an odd statement. Some people aren't for medication and that's fine, but to choose sex drive over your mental health as the main reason is a bit strange.

I lost my sex drive when I started my meds for a few months, it came back roaring then! But it was worth it for sure as I was not coping at all. And as much as I love sex, I would be unsure what I would choose between having a high sex drive or going back to the way I was.

Jammyc wrote: »
    No I think they were saying that the possibility of losing your sex drive is not a good enough reason for the almost certainty of remaining miserable.

Oh I suppose that makes more sense.
    But still when you're an 18 year old guy about to start college in September, it's not something I want to lose.
    If anything I would probably get more depressed because of it.

That is what I meant, apologies for not phrasing it more clearly.

Most of the side effects either don't occur, or die down to negligible levels after a month or two. And if they don't, you can switch medication to something else. Some of them might even increase your sex drive. Antidepressants are strange like that. There's little to worry about there, I don't think you'll be missing out on much. I'd be more worried about having sex while depressed; assuming you can even muster the enthusiasm, it's not a great idea to have a sex life while your mind tends heavily towards self-loathing, guilt, or the other perspectives that depression brings out in people. From my own experiences most pleasure becomes terribly transient, and having fun just made you more miserable when you stopped.

You have a few months until college. That's enough time to talk it over with your doctor, try out a course of medication, see if the side effects outweigh the benefits, and if so wean yourself off them in time for college. Hell, that's enough time to try 2-3 different courses. Odds are one of them will sort you out with a minimum of trouble.

You've got nothing to lose by giving your GP a go for a couple of months. Might as well see if you can have a sex drive AND be happy about it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

I'm only "home home" for 2 days, and I already feel like I'm becoming a shell of the person I usually am. Can't sleep - keep waking up a feeling of dread and panic. Can't catch my breath - tears are constantly pinching the back of my eyes. Why can't they leave my family alone and let us be - stop trying to break my parents up. Pure evil B*itches that call themselves sisters and my aunties and why did it have to be my other proper granny. She's a saint compared to you! LEAVE US BE and start fending for yourselves for once - we don't owe you anything and never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Do you mean that there are people out there that just feel a bit down because of general life, like debt, weather, exams etc. and they are not depressed in the long term. Then that would be true, It's like my sister who thinks she's poor because they can't have two holidays, shopping trips and eat out every weekend anymore.

But if you think there is no such thing as depression and we should all just get on with it, then you are mistaken.

Depression comes in many guises, for some it's crippling and the general routine of life is just too much to handle. For others, it's a sad feeling that lies inside and no matter what material things you have in life, or good health etc, it is like a lump of lead in the solar plexus that just doesn't disolve.

For some, it's just the Monday Blues, which, if gone by Tuesday, is just that, a bad day.

Whatever the persons own experience is, this thread has given a place to some people to voice their true feelings for a minute in a world where it's unacceptable to do so because of attitudes such as yours.

On a personal note, I have lived with depression for my entire life, it has beaten some of the people I know, it has wrecked families and ended lives, all because of the poor understanding and stigma attached to having it.

Which is why I can't see lifting of the backward attitude to it anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The second part of the ray darcy program is on tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

shuridunno wrote: »
    Do you mean that there are people out there that just feel a bit down because of general life, like debt, weather, exams etc. and they are not depressed in the long term. Then that would be true, It's like my sister who thinks she's poor because they can't have two holidays, shopping trips and eat out every weekend anymore.

But if you think there is no such thing as depression and we should all just get on with it, then you are mistaken.

Depression comes in many guises, for some it's crippling and the general routine of life is just too much to handle. For others, it's a sad feeling that lies inside and no matter what material things you have in life, or good health etc, it is like a lump of lead in the solar plexus that just doesn't disolve.

For some, it's just the Monday Blues, which, if gone by Tuesday, is just that, a bad day.

Whatever the persons own experience is, this thread has given a place to some people to voice their true feelings for a minute in a world where it's unacceptable to do so because of attitudes such as yours.

On a personal note, I have lived with depression for my entire life, it has beaten some of the people I know, it has wrecked families and ended lives, all because of the poor understanding and stigma attached to having it.

Which is why I can't see lifting of the backward attitude to it anytime soon.

Eh nah man, im jus sayin dat sum people think there depresed when der realy just havin ups and downs like ever1 else u know? Not sayin it dusnt exist man. Like some lad i know put up on fb that he was depression after the exams, but hes not, was grand the day b4 nd Neva said nnutin.

Advertisement