Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

People throw around the word depression, I hear it all the time in work.

I know what you mean.

The funny thing is, it's the people who are dying inside and face each day with a tremendous battle to get to the end of it without falling apart that you would least expect to be dealing with it.

They bury it deep inside and get ulcers, aches and pains, perhaps some day it'll change.

In retrospect and contradiction to my own posts, I suppose it is a bit better.
    I just hate the word 'depression', Chruchill referred to it as 'the black dog',(i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Eh nah man, im jus sayin dat sum people think there depresed when der realy just havin ups and downs like ever1 else u know? Not sayin it dusnt exist man. Like some lad i know put up on fb that he was depression after the exams, but hes not, was grand the day b4 nd Neva said nnutin.

I think you're just getting into semantics here. The term "depressed" is just another way to say you are feeling down or low. Same as saying I'm not feeling great today.

There's a difference between someone saying they are depressed at a point in time and claiming/admitting they have clinical depression. Depression itself is just a word you find in the dictionary that can be used in a few ways.

I say it lots, "I'm so depressed about the weather." Just a word in my vocabulary, doesn't mean I'm saying I'm constantly feeling down and suffering from the illness at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Eh nah man, im jus sayin dat sum people think there depresed when der realy just havin ups and downs like ever1 else u know? Not sayin it dusnt exist man. Like some lad i know put up on fb that he was depression after the exams, but hes not, was grand the day b4 nd Neva said nnutin.

Banned

When your ban is up, do not post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Read up on the effects of anti depressants and all I have to say is NO FUCKING WAY!
    A lot of these side effects dent and damage other parts of you that might never fully recover.
    I've always been weary of medication and I think if my problems are that deep rooted, once I've spoken to my doctor, I would sooner do therapy to tackle my issues instead of masking them with pills or drink as the case is now.

Edit, I'm not just talking about sex related side effects. Other hormonal and physical problems/symptoms can occur by using the drugs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I'm yawning a lot with my anti-depressants and feeling drowsy from time to time. But its thats it really, nothing much and I'm sure it will go if I went off them.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Read up on the effects of anti depressants and all I have to say is NO FUCKING WAY!
    A lot of these side effects dent and damage other parts of you that might never fully recover.
    I've always been weary of medication and I think if my problems are that deep rooted, once I've spoken to my doctor, I would sooner do therapy to tackle my issues instead of masking them with pills or drink as the case is now.

Edit, I'm not just talking about sex related side effects. Hormonal and physical symptoms can occur by using the drugs as well.

I can't use them and I have tried various brands and doses, they simply don't agree with me. I don't think this thread is for dicussing that though.

Did I see some post that you're quiet young, you don't have to say.
    Just don't drink yourself into oblivion to mask your problems.

Do you mean you won't take prescription pills but will use alcohol.

Try counselling, you can't outrun your problems with alcohol and it'll just make things worse in the longrun. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Edit, I'm not just talking about sex related side effects. Other hormonal and physical problems/symptoms can occur by using the drugs as well.

You think the suicidal behaviour of deep/agitated depressions is any nicer? Great if you can do without drugs and get by with just talking therapy, but that's not an option for everyone.

I'd talk to a doctor about the side affects of anti-depressants before giving up on them altogether because of what you have read online.

I had bad side-affects, the worst went away in about 2 weeks, the rest after about 2/3 months. The people who tend to post about them online are the minority who get them bad.

A doctor will be able to tell you more about your options depending on your diagnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

nesf wrote: »
    You think the suicidal behaviour of deep/agitated depressions is any nicer? Great if you can do without drugs and get by with just talking therapy, but that's not an option for everyone.

I'm just saying for me, I would be more concerned about what the medication would do to me because I value my health (Ironic considering a drink a fair bit) Now I understand that not everyone can overcome this through councelling but I'm already put off by reading up about it.
    I won't totally dismiss it until I speak to a doctor and get a clearer picture about it but I think it's good to know what I'm getting myself into.
    I think my problems mostly lie with the self loathing of my sexuality which can probably be talked out and fixed. It's just that I've bottled up any such feelings regarding it and it's grown to bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm just saying for me, I would be more concerned about what the medication would do to me because I value my health (Ironic considering a drink a fair bit) Now I understand that not everyone can overcome this through councelling but I'm already put off by reading up about it.
    I won't totally dismiss it until I speak to a doctor and get a clearer picture about it but I think it's good to know what I'm getting myself into.
    I think my problems mostly lie with the self loathing of my sexuality which can probably be talked out and fixed. It's just that I've bottled up any such feelings regarding it and it's grown to bother me.

Look, bluntly, I've been on rather a nice amount of antidepressants and I only had sexual issues of a major kind on a very high dose of one particular one. One's mileage does vary a lot in these things. Those symptom lists are scary because they list all the bad ****, the average person doesn't get anything like that kind of experience when taking the drugs. Seriously, on Prozac the worst I got was some sedation after taking them (so I took them before bed), on Zispin, just sedation again, Anafranil I noticed no side effects etc etc.

I'm all for talk therapy, I think it's great for most forms of depression but know the actual risks of antidepressants, not the ones you imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So talk to someone then. If you can work it out that way, then hooray. Cut down on the alcohol while you're at it. Drinking a depressant is not a good idea when you're prone to depression.

The important thing is that you do something about it. It won't go away unless you tackle it in some manner. Counselling, medication, lifestyle change, a combination of the lot, whatever, as long as it lets you get on with your life.

For what it's worth, I think you're overreacting about the side effects thing. But talk to a professional, they'll be able to help you come up with a plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

I'd talk to a doctor about the side affects of anti-depressants before giving up on them altogether because of what you have read online.

I had bad side-affects, the worst went away in about 2 weeks, the rest after about 2/3 months. The people who tend to post about them online are the minority who get them bad.

A doctor will be able to tell you more about your options depending on your diagnosis.

Doctors are great for giving the pills! I'm speaking from my own experience.. but when i really needed help, they made matters worse, much worse. I didn't want or need pills or a diagnosis, I needed to be understood, but they couldn't provide that so I was left on my own.. but I'm glad I stood up for myself and refused to take them or their 'labels' because now I'm happier than I've ever been and I don't have to depend on drugs, I worked through it all myself.. as haaaaaaaaard as that was I wouldn't trade it for the life of me. I always thought medication was a quick fix (it was ingrained in my soul for reasons i cannot explain why), like trying to put plasters on a dam.. but hey.. I won't deny some people might need that when things are really bad.. i was just myself, and refused to take that route, I don't blame or think any less of anyone else for doing otherwise. It's such a complex thing to discuss because everyone is so different and we all have so many reasons for being brought to this place, but if you boil it all down, there are certain things we all need as human beings and if those needs aren't met we really do flounder. I love a challenge.. always have done.. i spose my depression was just another battle of wits between me, myself and I.. and i almost lost! I'm just so glad that after everything I've been through, that I could laugh and fall out the other side of it being able to recognise the absurdity of beating myself up.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I refused medication on principle, not because I'm a hippy or anything.. I refused it because I felt in my heart this was something I had to face, that was my life and that was the reality of it and I had to deal with it.. and I was afraid that if I didn't, that the same things that caused me such grief and sadness would come back to haunt me again some day.. and I'll tell you something, I'm glad I made that decision and stuck to my guns because now I have my whole life ahead of me after coming through the other side of all this, and I feel so much stronger.

I don't really know what I'm saying.. I don't want to say to anyone.. don't take your medication.. because that would be dangerous and irresponsible, I'm just sharing a piece of my life experience with you.. I guess what I am saying is.. dig deep, you have EVERYTHING you need to be happy inside you already, just listen to yourself.. nothing, and nobody else can give you that. If you feel alone.. don't get down about it, just remember you're the only one that can make yourself happy.. it's a beautiful blessing and a curse.. all you have to do is.. choose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Great if you can do without drugs and get by with just talking therapy, but that's not an option for everyone.
    Maybe I'm completely wrong but I refused medication on principle, not because I'm a hippy or anything.. I refused it because I felt in my heart this was something I had to face, that was my life and that was the reality of it and I had to deal with it

Therapy isn't enough sometimes, if you are deficient in serotonin then it needs to be replaced and this cant be done by therapy, Its like talking to a doctor about getting over a cold rather than taking vitamin C!

If you can honestly say what you're depressed about and know for sure 100% that is the root of your problems then talking and coping stragedies are the best way forward. Like after a bereavement, break up or other life changing event, that said, you can go onto long term depression if you can't pull yourself out of these situations and then a course of meds can bring you back.

For people with low serotonin or other chemical imbalance, then medication is sometimes the only option, side effects and all. I hated taking them, the dry eyes, fizzy feeling, tiredness, aching muscles, I had loads of side effects, but that's just me.

There is definately a hereditary element to clinical depression and I didn't have to look too far to find it all around me. I have taken measures to deal with it as best I can, and while I am currently not on chemical based meds, I wish there was one I could take that wouldn't have such side effects.

I'd gladly take them for the rest of my life if I found one that suited, anything would be better than this. I'm currently taken St. Johns Wort and vitamins, eating healthy as I can and doing exercise, whether it's any good remains to be seen. It feels like torture.

I am dragging myself off to the pool, for a swim, not to drown myself:D before I plaster on a smile and get through the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RoboRat wrote: »
    if you are deficient in serotonin then it needs to be replaced and this cant be done by therapy
    The jury is very much out on serotonin deficiency. They can't measure serotonin levels in the living brain. They can measure the levels outside the brain and levels are down in some depressed people, but not in others and some have low levels outside the brain and show no symptoms of the condition. On the therapy front, studies have shown that for low and mid level depression placebo was as effective as SSRI's. Of course this was jumped on by the anti drugs/big pharma brigade and reported widely by same on the web. However what the study actually showed was the drugs did work, but that placebo also worked(which was the surprise). The study also showed that the more severe the depression the more the drugs worked, but the more the placebo didn't. The bit usually left out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Wibbs wrote: »
    The jury is very much out on serotonin deficiency. They can't measure serotonin levels in the living brain. They can measure the levels outside the brain and levels are down in some depressed people, but not in others and some have low levels outside the brain and show no symptoms of the condition. On the therapy front, studies have shown that for low and mid level depression placebo was as effective as SSRI's. Of course this was jumped on by the anti drugs/big pharma brigade and reported widely by same on the web. However what the study actually showed was the drugs did work, but that placebo also worked(which was the surprise). The study also showed that the more severe the depression the more the drugs worked, but the more the placebo didn't. The bit usually left out.

That's what I'd find personally too.
    When I'm gone way beyond talking, when I can't feed myself, wash myself or do anything at all - the anti-deps are great.
    They give you that push so you can make yourself do things and get out of your rut.
    But when I'm on the mend, or if the particular bout of depression isn't severe, then the meds aren't as consistently helpful - it's better to try other therapies then.
    That being said, I'm not bad at the moment, and I'm still on my meds.
    Kind of scared to come off them tbh.
    I don't want to come off them until I'm sure I can manage without them.

Wibbs wrote: »
    They can't measure serotonin levels in the living brain. They can measure the levels outside the brain and levels are down in some depressed people, but not in others and some have low levels outside the brain and show no symptoms of the condition.

That's hardly unexpected. Not all depression is due to serotonin deficiency, and neurochemistry is complex enough that low serotonin in one person won't have the same effect in another. Brains are hugely complicated networks that change as they grow, and some will find a way to get by on less of some chemical than others while some will develop in ways that make them more susceptible to negativity. If they didn't, we'd all probably be much more boring and alike.

Low serotonin can be a damn good indicator though. If you're depressed and your serotonin levels are low, it's a smart place to start. Hell, if you're depressed it should be one of the first things you check. No, it's not totally effective and there might be other factors, but nothing in medicine is declared certain. It's called "practice" for a reason. By all means, seek help unrelated to drugs. But it would be very foolish indeed to discount something that works really quite well because of stigma, or someone else's horror story, or some other irrational reason. All that ignorance and fear results in easily avoidable misery, pain and occasionally death.

Medicine has been around for thousands of years and can be highly effective treatment for depression.
    What works for one person may not work for another.
    Many times the side effects of medications are a very small price to pay for the benefit they bring. I say that from experience.

dyer wrote: »
    Doctors are great for giving the pills! I'm speaking from my own experience.. but when i really needed help, they made matters worse, much worse. I didn't want or need pills or a diagnosis, I needed to be understood, but they couldn't provide that so I was left on my own.. but I'm glad I stood up for myself and refused to take them or their 'labels' because now I'm happier than I've ever been and I don't have to depend on drugs, I worked through it all myself.. as haaaaaaaaard as that was I wouldn't trade it for the life of me. I always thought medication was a quick fix (it was ingrained in my soul for reasons i cannot explain why), like trying to put plasters on a dam.. but hey.. I won't deny some people might need that when things are really bad.. i was just myself, and refused to take that route, I don't blame or think any less of anyone else for doing otherwise. It's such a complex thing to discuss because everyone is so different and we all have so many reasons for being brought to this place, but if you boil it all down, there are certain things we all need as human beings and if those needs aren't met we really do flounder. I love a challenge.. always have done.. i spose my depression was just another battle of wits between me, myself and I.. and i almost lost! I'm just so glad that after everything I've been through, that I could laugh and fall out the other side of it being able to recognise the absurdity of beating myself up.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I refused medication on principle, not because I'm a hippy or anything.. I refused it because I felt in my heart this was something I had to face, that was my life and that was the reality of it and I had to deal with it.. and I was afraid that if I didn't, that the same things that caused me such grief and sadness would come back to haunt me again some day.. and I'll tell you something, I'm glad I made that decision and stuck to my guns because now I have my whole life ahead of me after coming through the other side of all this, and I feel so much stronger.

I don't really know what I'm saying.. I don't want to say to anyone.. don't take your medication.. because that would be dangerous and irresponsible, I'm just sharing a piece of my life experience with you.. I guess what I am saying is.. dig deep, you have EVERYTHING you need to be happy inside you already, just listen to yourself.. nothing, and nobody else can give you that. If you feel alone.. don't get down about it, just remember you're the only one that can make yourself happy.. it's a beautiful blessing and a curse.. all you have to do is.. choose :)

I don't mean to be a spokesperson for meds! My point really was you should talk to a doctor about them rather than relying on internet information. Sorry your doctor wasn't helpful. Mine was great. She recommended meds to me straight away as was in a pretty bad way and heading towards dropping out of college. I tried once to come off them and it didn't work so I still take them, hopefully next year I can try again.

My doctor would insist every time I visited to go to counselling, and although my meds worked well for me it wasn't until I found good counselors that I made some real breakthroughs.

I just hope people can find a good doctor and discuss all their options with an open mind really!

I can only speak from my own experience, I went down the entire talking about it route and although it helped, it didn't fundamentally help me a whole lot in sorting it out. When i was prescribed cipramil it helped me a lot and there was a noticeable difference in how I felt and acted. I can't speak for anybody else but I know that its not the placebo effect with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

I think alcohol is a big thing, if you're feeling down and out, a few pints is definitely not the answer. alcohol is a cns depressant and warps the mind.

steer clear of it, get some exercise and eat healthily. that will go a small way to helping you. junk food and drink is havoc for the body and mind.

''As long as the mind is enslaved, the body can never be free. Psychological freedom, a firm sense of self-esteem, is the most powerful weapon against the long night of physical slavery.'' - Martin Luther King.

Don't be a slave to your mind and keep the chins up.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Hey people, how do you help a family member that's experiencing a deep depression due to a traumatic experience?

I'm not going to go into details because that would go against their wishes, but they've completely changed and it's like they aren't my sibling anymore. Personally, I hate even bringing it up, but more than anything I just want things to go back to how they were before this all happened.

Even approaching them is difficult for me, because it means that I actually have to acknowledge what actually happened. I was as helpful as I could be to begin with, but now I just want everything back to normal and am behaving as if life is normal again, but I don't know if that's even for the best. They're going to the Doctor's for medicine and counselling now, but I don't see how I can help right now.

So in summary, how do I help a depressed person? I don't mean actually cure them (I'm not so ignorant of the illness that I'd think that I actually could), but rather what's the best thing for me to do for them?

Find the difficult balance of being there for them if they need it, but giving them the space they need. If you're too concerned, you'll be meddling in their lives and they'll hate you for it. If you're not there when they need you, they'll feel abandoned, and hate you for it.

Let them know every once in a while that if they ever want to talk about it, you're willing to listen, and you're going to remain their [family tie here] regardless of what they say or do.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Why would we laugh at people with depression?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why would we laugh at people with depression?

*head-desk*

Read the fucking thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

They tried the non drug route with me at the very start however I didn't get any better, not that it was wrong or anything - I just feel I wasn't in the right mindset for any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jammstarr wrote: »
    They tried the non drug route with me at the very start however I didn't get any better, not that it was wrong or anything - I just feel I wasn't in the right mindset for any of it

Each to their own is my view . . I dont want to take medicine for depression (have an on/off relationship with Anti depressants), but I will try them all if I find the right solution to how I feel . .

I worked all night last week and went to the beach with my dogs at 4am. Stayed there for 2 hours and it was bliss . . Really and truely bliss . .If I could bottle up those moments and put them into a pill, I would have a wonderful life . . If pills can help me have more of these moments (with no negative effect), then sign me up . .

We only have one life and I hate knowing that I am wasting mine "battling" with myself . . For me, I will spend my life trying to find a life balance that I am happy in . .

In saying that, this thread is awesome to remind me that you gotta role with the punches . . You might think you are getting there and next . . Whammy . . Right back thinking the world is a pile of sh*t and theres no reason to get out of bed, stuck in a "whats the point" spiral of either dispair or numbness (or both). .

You might think you are getting there and next . . Whammy . . Right back thinking the world is a pile of sh*t and theres no reason to get out of bed, stuck in a "whats the point" spiral of either dispair or numbness (or both).

Thank God I have a point now, I just need to see that look in my sons eyes when I am changing him and he suddenly realises who I am and wakes up and starts gooing an smiling at me. Makes everything worth it.

Edited to say, and then there are mornings when he looks up with a cheeky smile and arcs a runny brown mess across the room destroying the curtains and looks absolutely delighted with himself for this feat!
    I worked all night last week and went to the beach with my dogs at 4am. Stayed there for 2 hours and it was bliss . . Really and truely bliss . .If I could bottle up those moments and put them into a pill, I would have a wonderful life . . If pills can help me have more of these moments (with no negative effect), then sign me up . .

Every now and again you hear something being said by somebody and it hits home. For me it was Bear Grylls talking about surviving and he said that you need to roll with the losses and celebrrate the small victories... and most importantly, every now and again sit down and take stock of how utterly beautiful and amazing some things are. So, whether its just going to your favourite spot, looking at your child, ogling a beautiful lady/man, looking at your favourite painting or whatever stirs your soul... just do it and appreciate how amazing life can be and try and be content for a few moments. Then you can go back to the actual madness that is life. Work to live, don't live to work.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Amen to that!
    I always tell myself "enjoy the good days, cos you are getting the bad ones whether you like it or not :) "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

a fat guy wrote: »
    Hey people, how do you help a family member that's experiencing a deep depression due to a traumatic experience?

I'm not going to go into details because that would go against their wishes, but they've completely changed and it's like they aren't my sibling anymore. Personally, I hate even bringing it up, but more than anything I just want things to go back to how they were before this all happened.

Even approaching them is difficult for me, because it means that I actually have to acknowledge what actually happened. I was as helpful as I could be to begin with, but now I just want everything back to normal and am behaving as if life is normal again, but I don't know if that's even for the best. They're going to the Doctor's for medicine and counselling now, but I don't see how I can help right now.

So in summary, how do I help a depressed person? I don't mean actually cure them (I'm not so ignorant of the illness that I'd think that I actually could), but rather what's the best thing for me to do for them?

Here's the thing, you need to try to think about what they want and not what you want. I know it's hard, I know it's frustrating, and I know that more than anything you want things back to normal; but just remember that it's exactly how they feel too..but it's just not that easy. I know sometimes it's easier to just skim over it and offer the 'it'll be okay' or 'chin up', but sometimes that can make the person feel like you really don't understand..and make them feel even more isolated despite your offer of support. Sometimes, it's actually better to tell them that you know that you can't help; you know that you can't understand and you know they're going through hell, but that you're there. You might not be able to offer a quick fix, but you're not going anywhere either. Let them know that you accept them, that you still love them, and that what they're going through doesn't make you love them any less. They may have changed, but that's what happens in life...things change and people change. Things rarely stay the same. Sometimes, things can happen that change your whole world, your perception of your place in it and your want to even be in it. It's a dark place to be and it's a struggle to find your place once it's been lost. So don't use it against them, don't keep mourning for the person they once were; instead, embrace the person you know they can be when they come out the other side.

With regard to the trauma, don't bring it up, not unless they do. If they're seeing a counsellor then they're dealing with it there, in that time. It's boxed off to that hour/session and to discuss it outside of that might be too much to deal with, especially without the immediate support they have in a counselling setting. Sometimes, things like that need to be contained in order for the person to function on a day to day basis, so if that's what they're doing then I'd leave them be - until they come to you and feel ready to discuss it (although they may never, and that's no reflection on you).

It's about boundaries. It's about you knowing that you can't make them feel better; that it's not your responsbility to help them, and that it's not your fault if you can't help them. But alongside that, it's knowing that you're still as important to them as you ever were - even if they can't show you that right now. It's realising that although they can't always show you their love or care, that they need it from you in bucketloads. It's knowing that even when they tell you they don't need you, that they do - they just don't want to need anyone. They don't need you to fix them, they just need you to be there to support them as they try to mend themselves.

I don't know if that helps your situation, but hopefully it does - even a bit. I really hope things look up soon.

Advertisement