Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

DeVore wrote: »
    I find I have to "actively ignore" it. As soon as my mind wanders back to the issue, I have to be vigilant and actively say to myself "right, we're not going there!" immediately. Right at the start. Like a schoolteacher, brook no argument or prevarication, thats it, no more discussion about it. :)

I have found NLP to be very helpful for that, so when my brain sets of down that track I have a word I use to pull myself up short, stop the process and banish the emotions which it's dragged up which aren't really what I am feeling but the emotions which I was feeling back then on replay which will loop themselves if I don't stop it.
    I'm not saying that I suppress my feelings, this is only effective after "observe"... that is, let your conscious mind recognise that you are hurt, or lonely or down. Give it its due time .... but no more. When I have observed it and worked through it, then I have to put it behind me and not wallow in it.

Hope this works for you!

I found that easier said then done, having a down day or a 'blue' day ( or a couple of days to process something) can be hard cos I fear it's the start of another downward spiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sharrow wrote: »
    I have found NLP to be very helpful for that, so when my brain sets of down that track I have a word I use to pull myself up short, stop the process and banish the emotions which it's dragged up which aren't really what I am feeling but the emotions which I was feeling back then on replay which will loop themselves if I don't stop it.

I agree, NLP is very effective at changing moods and is quicker than CBT. Note I'm not saying that NLP is better now, just different. I'm beginning to consider going back into practice as an NLP practitioner, there seem to be a lot of people who are not entirely happy in their lives, and not just on Boards.

Funny thing is, there are so many simple techniques for changing moods in NLP I'm surprised they're not common knowledge. The easiest one if you need a bit of a boost is to snort like a pig - this isn't psychological, the action directly affects the endocrine system. Just think of Peppa Pig. Try it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bogmandan

yes,,nimrod 7,,,,make an appointment first thing in the morning,,see ur doc ,,,or sum1's doc,,,,,they will giv u good advice and help,,,,,,,go for it man

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bogmandan wrote: »
    yes,,nimrod 7,,,,make an appointment first thing in the morning,,see ur doc ,,,or sum1's doc,,,,,they will giv u good advice and help,,,,,,,go for it man
    Thank you, yeah I'll look into it for the weekend..
    And welcome to boards btw

• Advertisement

thanks,,,,why leave it till then

if u hav a family doc ,,,,,mayb u cud jus contact him/her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Finally did it and made an appointment to see the doc after years of ignoring it and not getting help.

The doctor will be the first person I will have told. I don't really know what I'm going to say when I go in...I imagine it's going to be so awkward. What did you lot say the first time you walk into the office? "Hello, I'm ehhh depressed.." Will the doctor have a chat or do some sort of assessment or will I fill in a form? Will he automatically advise anti-depressants? I'm dreading the appointment but know I have to do it.

Also, apologies as I haven't searched the forums yet, but is there a list anywhere of affordable but good councillors in Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Sharrow wrote: »
    I find I have to "actively ignore" it. As soon as my mind wanders back to the issue, I have to be vigilant and actively say to myself "right, we're not going there!" immediately. Right at the start. Like a schoolteacher, brook no argument or prevarication, thats it, no more discussion about it. :)

I'm not saying that I suppress my feelings, this is only effective after "observe"... that is, let your conscious mind recognise that you are hurt, or lonely or down. Give it its due time .... but no more. When I have observed it and worked through it, then I have to put it behind me and not wallow in it.

Hope this works for you!

I found that easier said then done, having a down day or a 'blue' day ( or a couple of days to process something) can be hard cos I fear it's the start of another downward spiral.

Accept it, it may be a downward spiral or it may not. Be ok with uncertainty, it's the one constant in life that never changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyopot

I am relatively new here and trying to find my feet, i think this thread is excellent, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyopot

Finally did it and made an appointment to see the doc after years of ignoring it and not getting help.

The doctor will be the first person I will have told. I don't really know what I'm going to say when I go in...I imagine it's going to be so awkward. What did you lot say the first time you walk into the office? "Hello, I'm ehhh depressed.." Will the doctor have a chat or do some sort of assessment or will I fill in a form? Will he automatically advise anti-depressants? I'm dreading the appointment but know I have to do it.

Also, apologies as I haven't searched the forums yet, but is there a list anywhere of affordable but good councillors in Dublin?

All the best with your doctors app,i think if you just tell him/her how you are feeling as best you can they will take it from there and you will just have to answer their questions,, the first 30 seconds was the worst for me then it was a relief to be actually talking about it and knowing i was finally actively doing something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

So these were my posts from a few months ago. Turned out Snowie was right. I had the most amazing Summer away, I forgot that it was possible to feel happy. I came out to a good group of my friends and they were all brilliant. I lived with so many people that I didn't have time to be bored or depressed or lonely. Sure, I had my moments and depression never fully went away but my quality of life improved hugely.

Unfortunately, now that I'm back I can feel me slipping back into depression. I really think that the cure for me lies in being surrounded by people all the time but that's just not a realistic or healthy way to be. Of course, it's good to be sociable but I shouldn't have to rely on others to be happy :confused::(

No but your aware of the fact being busy and living an active life style can...
    How bad is that? You could start a hobby on evenings meet people go to the gym fire those endorphins, go see friends gym again cool off day, night out hangover day some other kinda hobby Shopping :D...

and so on and so forth you dont have to be around people you've got to keep your self motivated and focused and its possible to do so it all about managing your self as a person... :)

But lets end this positively well done on coming out and seeing for your self you had and awesome time and you do actually sound positive so don't be to hard on your self.. If you catch your self in a destructive though pattern catch your self and affirm your self that your not going to put up with it and you want to be happy..:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Hi again guys, this time this is going to be a positive post, so please bare with me, despite all my crying and extreme depression last night, I have just thought of something.

One of the things I have not yet learned or acquired for when things go badly wrong, i.e. when the sh!t hits the fan like last night, and like it has done lots of times in the past 4-5 months with lots of suicidal thoughts when I judge things negatively, is to be able to have an inbuilt coping mechanism. And its something I've thought about just there that I might need finally.

Take this anology, I've simplified my brain into positive and negative parts, negative, for some strange reason, I define as the colour purple (think poisonous colour), when I think negatively and suicidal, thats purple smoke filling in my head, and when I feel positive and upbeat, that I define as an orange colour (not sure why, its my favourite colour I think :p).

So my job is, when I feel incredibley down hopeless like last night, depressed my life is over etc, I'm never going to get a girlfriend, the world hates me, I need to die, to acknowledge this as the purple smoke filling into my head. Decompartmentalise this, take a step back and recognise all those negative thoughts as the colour purple, I'm a loser, never had a girlfriend, virgin, can't/wont ever have a date, die a loner. Now try combat it with the orange smoke, which includes, looking to become a dentist/doctor, travelling the world, joining clubs and societies, improving social skills, attain part time job, be more social with sports clubs, all those things I wrote on the to do list on the previous page bascially.

Because I figured I don't want to be coming on here, crying ringing the samaritans, struggling to attend my lectures, can't get out of bed etc because I've simply had a bad reaction to something. Its time I needed to learn how to do deal with bad reactions like last night because we all get them, but its about time I learned how to react to them, that doesn't initially cause me to feel the need to self harm etc. Its really important.

I've had enough of me ringing samaritans (although extremely greatful for them), crying because I read something on the internet about guys who've never had a girlfriend, or have had a bad reaction from someone personally, I need to develop a coping mechanism now to when things do go wrong I can cope and function as normal in my everyday life.

So cloud out all the purple smoke with the orange smoke and recognise what that purple smoke is:

- I can't get a girlfriend
    - I will die a loner
    - Nobody wants to date me
    - The world thinks I'm a freak
    - I don't deserve friends
    - I should be punished with suicide

Take a step back Thomas, these are all the purple signals swarming your head, recognise it, diffuse it with the orange colour. It can be done, come on Thomas. This is the poison in your head, and you must recognise it and learn to remove it from now on in those most darkest moments.

It's bizarre because when you read other people's thoughts you can tell they are completely irrational. Like I can read your thoughts and KNOW that no-one thinks you're a freak except yourself.

But I,who also suffers from depression, have had some of those very own thoughts about myself: People think I'm a freak, I don't deserve to be loved, would be two of my main recurring ones. It's like - why can we look at other people logically but we can't look at ourselves?

And that we all have such similiar thoughts - what is depression? - it's like a virus filling our body and we all think the same.

I'd like to find out a bit more about depression - is it a lack of some chemicals in our brain that make us feel so low all the time? Like I know the vague main reasons, but what exactly is it? And surely more research should be done rather than just numbing everyone with drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZpUIEUsys&feature=related

For anyone suffering with depression I think it's interesting to watch this video.

They are actors in an informational video,acting out common scenarios professionals hear.

I just thought when I heard the mother speak 'wow thats exactly how I think!". That other people will have a lot to say, I'll have nothing to say and everyone will think I'm boring,and then I don't go to things.

I think it's important to watch videos like these to help you realise that it is your own thinking that is skewed, that everybody suffereing with depression thinks like this, and your thoughts aren't correct.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 rain10

I've had major depression for the past year and a half, I was put on medication and felt it did help me in being able to move out of bed and I stopped crying myself to sleep every night, during the summer I was feeling really good and decided I didnt want to rely on tablets, i stopped cold turkey and told no one, it went really well with no side effects till about two weeks ago, since then i've had suicidal thoughts every hour of every day, i've hit rock bottom and my health has severly suffered, i have never felt lower and personal circumstances have made it even harder to stay positive, all I can hope is things will get better soon and the pain will go, this forum has helped me a bit too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

An interesting good article in the journal.ie

See here: http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/read-me-an-open-letter-to-my-own-depression-601365-Sep2012/
    Read Me: An open letter to my own depression

Garry Williams, who has suffered from depression for years, addresses his illness directly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Biggins wrote: »

Do you suffer from depression, Biggins?

Do you suffer from depression, Biggins?

Honestly yes at times.
    (I've previously mentioned it already in this thread/forum somewhere I think)

The short version is that I first started to suffer soon after a marital divorce.
    I didn't see it at the time. I was doing things that appeared to me to make sense and acting strange/erratic I'm told.
    At the time I just 'upped sticks' and moved country (to Manchester, England) and went 'wild' for the want of describing it better.
    I kept going and going, drink, partying and doing stupid stuff that at the time was making me happy.
    In fact it was me trying to keep myself that way and (although I could not see it at the time) stop myself from wallowing in a deep pit of despair with no seemingly way out.
    In the meantime I spent thousands while living and partying in England just trying to stay one step ahead of a depression.

It eventually all came to a head though, crashing down when someone (family) back home died and I had to return for the funeral - the far slower pace of things back home immediately hit me and things caught up with me.
    I'll be discreet with detail on this part but it took me years to pull myself together and in time I finally started to see the light and the madness of the life I had lived for a while.
    Looking back, I in fact was startled to what state I had been in previously.
    I didn't see it at the time and like eyes being a window on the world - no one could see it looking in at my eyes.
    To those abroad who knew me no better - they thought it was just part of my normal personality.
    On returning home, my family just about immediately knew the difference and got me help.
    It took time - a lot of time.

I still get depressed. It seems to come in regular waves at times.
    I try to ride it out and I know that deep down I'm the only one that can help myself.
    I would be lying if I denied that suicide at times hadn't crossed my mind regularly in moments of solitude in Manchester bedsits but somehow the then thought of upsetting my family thankfully spared me that result.

The depression still does come but the pit of depression that once I used to be in and thought I could never climb out of - I could never see a ladder, a help, to get out - is no longer so deep.
    I can thankfully keep myself together and climb out of it when the worst cases of it hits me.
    I just need at times to remind myself that it WILL end and things will get better.

Nothing makes me happier now than seeing my four children running around smiling and happy - and every day I see that and hear them laughing, make any further instances of depression I might go through all that much easier and they remind me that there is better things to come.
    More smiles and more laughing in the future. More hopefully good days than bad ones.

The task I do have to concentrate on now is trying to spot its onset.
    I get more angry as I get depressed - does that sound familiar to anyone?
    Things that really should go over my head, anyone's head if they have any kop, sometimes don't with mine on a bad day.
    Thankfully some are aware of what's happening and even on boards here with good posters that have got to know me, they pull me up on things and discreetly ask "Are I ok?" - and that usually sets further alarm bells off in my head.

I know things could be worse much worse - and there is far worse than me to be sure.
    The best one can do, is take every day as it comes and for me, look for the best in all things even if its hard sometimes.
    My family now much help in that regard. I know I'm blessed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Very good answer, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

It's been ages since I posted.
    Depression is still with me. It's up and down. Some days good. Some days bad. My mind is fcuked. My head heavy. There are big question marks still hanging over me like anchors weighing me down. There's an emptyiness inside of me. A **** loads of anxiety. So so so so so tired. Painful. Emotional pain. No end in sight. A wanting to die.

• Advertisement

Depression is still with me. It's up and down. Some days good. Some days bad. My mind is fcuked. My head heavy. There are big question marks still hanging over me like anchors weighing me down. There's an emptyiness inside of me. A **** loads of anxiety. So so so so so tired. Painful. Emotional pain. No end in sight. A wanting to die.

You have friends here - if you did know it or not.
    All just a PM away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

4 months off anti-depression medication now. :) And I haven't needed any doctors appointments or had any major "down" moments for a while now.

I moved to the UK to start a Masters and first week over here has gone pretty well. But I can't help wondering if this is all just a prolonged calm before a massive storm comes along? 'Cause the thought of sinking back where I was, and possibly sinking deeper, just feels awful. If I can pull myself together once it doesn't necessarily mean I can pull myself together again. And there'll still always be nights when I start thinking of shít that has happened in the past and making myself feel crap again.

But for the mean time things are definitely looking up...or, at he very least, not looking as down as before.

/thinking aloud

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've had the "is this the prelonged calm before a sh*tstorm" feeling at times too. Truth is, who knows, but if you practise good mental health techniques (meditation & communication) then it needn't be a *long* sh*tstorm even if one arrives.

One thing I've kinda come to terms with is, there isnt a "cure" as such, but there are skills and techniques that allow me to manage it into a cocked hat at times when before I would have simply curled up. That alone gives me a lot more peace and calm now which builds on itself.

The trick is letting go and talking to someone. It really really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFgQzaaUwqQ

I thought this was pretty powerful. Ze is a person I admire a lot. He is gifted at putting into words things that are indescribable for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hi All,

Sorry this is really long, I just want to get as much down as I can!

I have been going to a cognative behavioural therapy (CBT) session through Aware and said I would try to keep you updated on my progress. Before I say anything I wanted to explain that I am currently on medication and have been trying to feel better for a long long time. Like many, when I feel balanced I always have it in the back of my mind that a mental storm is inevitably on the horizon.

In my first session I wasnt sure how I felt about the class because to people who have already been trying to help themselves (councelling ,medication), we have heard pretty much most of what is said. I went along last night (to my second session) , again willing to give it a chance and had a sort of epiphany after it and today.

Up until now, I have been focusing on feeling better and more importantly have been looking to get diagnosed with something - bipolar, some sort of underlying disease like thyroid problem - anything that would explain why I feel the way I feel. Even though I have heard all the things said at these CBT, its the first time I actually consciously made an effort to think and take in what was being said. My goal by going to these sessions was to try and learn ways of coping with depression which is differant from looking for answers.

One huge factor of last nights session for me (moment of clarity) came to me when I thought about the discussion on "closeness". That is, how close you feel to certain people in certain circumstances. Whether its a friend or family member. While I have known it for years, I have a bad habit of switching off when Im not working or not on the phone. I have always thought of myself as a good judge of character and as such have kept in contact with friends whom I feel are good people. But I realised that I dont trust them to remain friends if I tell them how I feel or am myself around them. I fear losing them if I amnt the "funnyman of the group". This undervalues me as a person. This led to me thinking about my friends and re-evaluating how I view them and how good a friends they have been.

Its not about judging people, its about valuing myself and I realised that there are really good friends whom I havent realised are people that deserve my time (this is the thing I am stingiest with, my time) and some friends who I have comitted time an help to, that dont really recipricate the feelings. i phoned one of my friends (whom I think I have neglected in terms of what they have been to me as a friend) and I feel so much better. I have taken control of my friendships (instead of making excuses for people) and valued my time by prioritising good friends over friends who are good people, but not always willing to try to understand me.

These are habits I have gotten into and they are vital in my understanding why I feel the way I do so regularly. I thought about the times when I feel closer to my wife on the phone then I do when actually beside her or in bed. The reason is because I am emotionally connected in a phone conversation but when I am beside her in the house I am "switched off" to power down my overactive mind and as such I am not really giving my wife the concentration that you need to have a meaningful relationship. Thats not to say that we dont have a great relationship (we really do) , but for me I have always wanted a more deep relationship and by some of my default bad habits (like switching off) I have worked against what I instinctively crave (a really close emotional relationship with my wife, family and friends).

Another thing that has come to me is that you can learn to try and reduce the impact depression can have on your life. But you have to want it, be willing to try out things (within reason ;) ) and you have to pick yourself up if you fall down (not an easy thing to do).

Much of our thought process is habit. Im having a good day and something negative happens - United lose a game, my wife doesnt put out (never happens to me, Im irresistable :p) or something minor upsets/dissapoints you. Suddenly your day has gone to sh*t and everything you think about is awful. The country is f*cked, the dogs got fleas, the garden has to be cut, the gas prices are going up . . . .Oh bollix, the world is an ugly place with nothing redeeming, I feel sick, Im going to bed.

That is not the thought process of everybody but it can be the thought process of those of us that can, all to easily, fall into a negative trap that is compounded like a snowball down a hill, by turning a sunny day into the 100 year storm.

Im sorry to stop here, but I know this post is already very long and dont want to bore people (too late! :D). In summary, I have found the CBT class helpful (thus far) in a way that I had hoped it might, but not in the way I thought it would be. I was slektical going in, thinking that I wouldnt find answers to my problems and in truth I havent found out or heard anything I havent heard before. But what it has helped me do is feel like I can plan and try to get into good habits to try to come back to reality, feel like I am living again, connected to my family. Ive comitted time to thinking about how I feel and why I might feel that way and this course has helped, in a very simple way, look at everyday events that can change my whole day/week/month. I cant say if it will work in the longterm, but I feel for the first time , possibly ever, that I might be able to manage how I feel and that while I may regress and have my weeks/months when I just cant get going, I might be able to learn to cope and have more good then bad days. .

Link to the free CBT course . .

http://www.aware.ie//help/support/awares_life_skills_programme/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Never seen this thread before! We just did a 500km over the weekend to highlight suicide and depression in Ireland and since we started this the amount of people who have come to me to ask about what we were doing was amazing really, HOPEFULLY people can find an ear to bend.
    I hope we didn't impact too much traffic on Saturday or Sunday through the many counties we cycled through.

I would be one that (thinks) I suffered from depression, for a short time, but it was a lonely place.

Hopefully this thread will give people a little place to come to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

PM sent.

We will all find our way home from the darkness, No matter how on the edge you are, it is perfectly possible to resist suicide because we are all a oneness here on this particular thread and we can perfectly relate to each other.

The name of this song below is.. i'll find my way home. I found my way home not too long ago and i'm positive you will. Be safe and the best wishes ZENNO Your friend is close by your side.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Near FM asked me for an interview about this thread as part of Mental Health Week.

Its in two parts and you can find them here...

http://nearpodcast.org/pcast/?p=7446

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Listening to it now. Thanks DeVore:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

AstridBean wrote: »
    Firstly, great post.

But I just want to pick up on something here. I have suffered from depression on and off throughout my life. Always have, always will. Depression IS like emptiness but for me at least, it is also a persistent sadness. Sadness and nothingness in a curious mix. A sense of despair. So, it's not necessarily true to say it is nothingness and there are no other feelings involved. I just want people to know that. Some people might just feel emptiness but for others, all-consuming sadness and despair features heavily too, in conjunction with nothingness.
    I have often wonder why people have problems with other who are always sad, yet have no issue with people who are constantly happy. To me there is something wrong with people who are always constantly happy. There is so much sadness, heart break, horrible deaths in the world for them to be constantly happy have me puzzled. I met one happy person at a funeral where his brother was killed in a not so pleasant manner, was welcoming people to the house. To me that odd. I do not expect family members to be smiling at a funeral. He did not inherit anything and there was no disputes between them. They grew up close all their lives In fact he never fights or argue. His sister told me he has not fell sadness or hurt for his brother untimely death. I did comment it to him at a later date, that he should see a therapist. He decline for he said "there is nothing wrong with me, I am happy with my life".

I am more concern about people who are always happy. To me that impossible. Are they suffering from the same condition of Depression because they cannot feel sadness or empathy for other misery.

I like to feel the full range of emotions and not be delusion about life ups and down. I do not stick my head into the ground when things go wrong or get a setback. Life goes on no matter which direction I travel. The world is full of endless choices even when many people shut the door. I have three sayings about Life
    "When the route or Door is shut by others, There is always a bypass or back door which is more welcoming than the front, you just have to keep looking for it"

"Keep those eyes & ears open, Learn and never forget the past and you can never get stuck there because Time is constantly moving everything forward with an unwrapping of a ever changing and more precious Life"

"Life is like hills and mountains, There is always ups and there is always downs, So keep moving and experience and cherish every tiny bit of it because once it gone, it is gone forever"
    I would also feel lost if I did not have empathy for others.

Advertisement