Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Itzy wrote: »
    Thank you all for the support. Getting help means I have an idea what my problem is and how I can go about fixing it. The same would be the case for my fiancée.

No problem! After all we are here to support each other.

Sincerely,:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks again guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm not the best tonight. I'm feeling an apathy that's all too common in my life. To top it off I know friends like me but most dont have a clue what I go through on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I suppose all you can do is talk about it at times steddy.

I suppose all you can do is talk about it at times steddy.

Itzy this might sound odd coming from me but I'm sick of moaning and looking at the negative parts of my life. I think I'm my own worst enemy in that regard!

• Advertisement

It's good to talk though.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm not the best tonight. I'm feeling an apathy that's all too common in my life. To top it off I know friends like me but most dont have a clue what I go through on a daily basis.

Hey, it is good to talk. This Op understands , spent most of yesterday in bed. Yes it is bloody awful.
    To help yourself ,it is important to get lots of rest when you are feeling below par. Your thoughts and feelings will pass. Sure it may take a few days. Tomorrow is another day. Relax, listen to your favourite music and sleep.
    Remember we are here for you. Feel free to talk post anytime.
    Best Regards

Hey, it is good to talk. This Op understands , spent most of yesterday in bed. Yes it is bloody awful.
    To help yourself ,it is important to get lots of rest when you are feeling below par. Your thoughts and feelings will pass. Sure it may take a few days. Tomorrow is another day. Relax, listen to your favourite music and sleep.
    Best Regards[/QUOTE

Thank you so much. It's not easy but I would love to tell my friends what's really going on in my head. You hit the nail on the head regarding the thoughts and feelings passing though, they often do after a couple of days. How are you feeling?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Best Regards[/QUOTE

Thank you so much. It's not easy but I would love to tell my friends what's really going on in my head. You hit the nail on the head regarding the thoughts and feelings passing though, they often do after a couple of days. How are you feeling?

Thank you for asking. I am feeling a bit brighter, though exhausted. I know it will pass .I live one day at a time, or I often say in The Now!One has to experience these issues to understand what is going on. Sure your friends don't understand, no more than my friends. However your friends on this forum do and that is why it is great to talk here.
    It is about developing coping mechanisms,being kind to yourself. We are all our own worst critics. Diet , exercise, nutrition are all very important as are following the advice of the medical professionals.
    We are all human, we spend money on our cars and our houses, maintenance , servicing, tweaking, but we overlook ourselves. We are not machines, but we deserve to treat ourselves with much more care. So for the next few days I will stay in my own little world, be kind to myself and chat away with my new friends on this forum.
    Best Regards:)

I agree with every thing you've said del. I've cried my eyes out most of the day and am feeling a bit sleepy, even though I had to take a nap earlier on because of exhaustion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'll keep all of you in the loop. Was first diagnoses with Bipolar back in 2005, but after a year of medication, I stopped thinking I was better. With my new job last year and some additional stress, I started to experience stress at it's worst in years. I was always tired, angry over nothing, couldn't do my job correctly and was falling asleep in the mornings at the wheel as I had to leave at 6.30 every morning for work in Dublin from Athlone. I just reached a point where I couldn't cope with the stress, anger, exhaustion and fluxuating moods on an almost daily basis.

Don't mean to go off topic and turn the thread political but replacing Crapitilism with a more just and humane society would work wonders in alleviating a huge number of issues regarding mental health.

I agree with every thing you've said del. I've cried my eyes out most of the day and am feeling a bit sleepy, even though I had to take a nap earlier on because of exhaustion.

Crying your eyes out is a fantastic and most natural release valve.
    I guess you feel a little bit better too!
    An afternoon nap is like a tonic , 2 or 3 hours proper sleep helps rejuvinate me when I am feeing low. It helps lift the fog! Again this is natural to help the body and mind recover to face the ongoing issues.
    We should treat ourselves with more care than we would treat an Aston Martin or a thoroughbred race horse. I am not suggesting wrapping ourselves in cotton wool, simply be much kinder to ourselves.
    Dealing with all this stuff is a two fold approach 1. Being kinder to ourselves 2. Following through on the advice of our Medical advisors.
    Remember Rome was not built in a day. So for all of us it is one day at a time,and make the most of every day as best we can. But in time this will all pass and we will put it behind us.
    Life is for living, mind yourself!

I completely agree and felt great afterwards. I needed the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Esel wrote: »
    Excuse me for bolding parts of your post, but they were the bits that jumped out at me. Not that there is not a lot more important stuff there...

You have come through many heart-breaking and terrible experiences, some in combination like a boxer's one-two. You are still here, and still functioning (it might not seem like it, but you are).

You are a strong person. You have had to be! Congratulations for that, seriously.

The part of your post which I bolded and italicised tells me that you will come out of the fog again.

It might sound trite, but fog (physical or mental) is always very confusing. Vision is seriously impaired, and it is easy to lose direction and perspective (almost certain, I would say). I hate reversing my car when the side windows are fogged up - I have to open the front and rear windows on the vulnerable side, even when making a manoeuvre which I have done hundreds of time before. It is not so easy at all to open windows or improve clarity when the fog is mental!

The same thing applies when, for example, hill-walking in fog. Even with a map and compass, perspective is still totally blown. You take a bearing on a boulder which you think is 50 paces away, then find you have you have reached it in 10 paces! You think WTF? But you take the lesson on board, keep navigating and counting paces, and eventually you reach your objective.

When (or before) you meet your counsellor, ask if they use CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy). It is not the be-all and end-all, but it is good.

Also, do not be slow to talk to your GP. Anti-depressant medication does have its place, and can help to cut through the 'fog'. Obviously, I am not advising you to go this route, but do not exclude it without adequate consideration.

Regarding your job: my 2c is to look on the lack of challenge as a bonus in your current, temporary, situation. Ask for more challenges later.

Back to my hill-walking analogy... when you are lost in the hills, the biggest and easiest mistake to make is to 'make the terrain fit the map' (it sounds innocuous, but it can be the opposite). Fog is not a necessary component in this scenario.

You 'think' you are in a particular area, so you (or more accurately your mind) tries to convince itself that the slight hump to the west (terrain) is a particularly prominent point on the map. To 'confirm' this, you may further convince yourself that the small stream you can see is the river (i.e. not really a stream) that is shown on the map - even though if it was that river, there would be a bridge visible (which there is not...). You convince yourself that the bridge was washed away / demolished after the map was printed.

The problem if you actually have 'make the terrain fit the map' is that you will then proceed in what you think is the correct direction (from the map).

"Ah heyore, leave ih ouh" I imagine you say, and you are probably right at this point in my post.

TL/DR @OP: You are strong. You will come through this.

Thanks for the post esel & also to Devore & del
    Esel the hillwalking analogy yeah i think i get it LOL ;D;D;D

I am not sure if I have fitted the terrain to my map therefore I thought I was okay but then when I proceeded after using the fit terrain map rule that when something unforeseen or an obstacle appears in my way the fog descends.

Well this last relationship i was in I was happy until the **** hit the fan & I applied fit the terrain to my map rule & things unravelled I am lost again ;( the bridge was washed away.

But hey! At least boards gives me analogies that make me laugh!

Feeling better, left the house yesterday went to lunch with a friend went to see a movie & had two pints & home. Talking to her made me feel better, she is a good listener not judgemental just listens & understands.

The counselling service got in touch they said they would be in touch in a day or two to arrange an appointment. To hear that I would be receiving help made some fog lift.

Still cried this morning but hey what can I do I have to work through this

Appreciate the support ;D

I feel like I should now check out how deep the river is & prepare to get my feet wet ;D

I completely agree and felt great afterwards. I needed the rest.

I am very pleased for you. Rest is so important

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    Thanks for the post esel & also to Devore & del
    Esel the hillwalking analogy yeah i think i get it LOL ;D;D;D

I am not sure if I have fitted the terrain to my map therefore I thought I was okay but then when I proceeded after using the fit terrain map rule that when something unforeseen or an obstacle appears in my way the fog descends.

Well this last relationship i was in I was happy until the **** hit the fan & I applied fit the terrain to my map rule & things unravelled I am lost again ;( the bridge was washed away.

But hey! At least boards gives me analogies that make me laugh!

Feeling better, left the house yesterday went to lunch with a friend went to see a movie & had two pints & home. Talking to her made me feel better, she is a good listener not judgemental just listens & understands.

The counselling service got in touch they said they would be in touch in a day or two to arrange an appointment. To hear that I would be receiving help made some fog lift.

Still cried this morning but hey what can I do I have to work through this

Appreciate the support ;D

I feel like I should now check out how deep the river is & prepare to get my feet wet ;D

Well done! You are making your first steps towards dealing with all this.
    Very pleased you got out of the house and enjoyed your lunch.
    Crying is is a natural release valve and helps with the healing process. Don't underestimate its value
    When you get you Counselling sessions up and running you will make serious progress towards putting all this behind you. The first few sessions may seem strange at first, but after a few weeks it wil be like reconstructing the jigsaw, which of coure is YOU.
    Be kind to yourself and live in the Now!

A good cry now and again is a great release ever now and again. Wurzlitzer, it's great to have the support. Suppose that's why we're all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Crying your eyes out is a fantastic and most natural release valve.
    I guess you feel a little bit better too!
    An afternoon nap is like a tonic , 2 or 3 hours proper sleep helps rejuvinate me when I am feeing low. It helps lift the fog! Again this is natural to help the body and mind recover to face the ongoing issues.
    We should treat ourselves with more care than we would treat an Aston Martin or a thoroughbred race horse. I am not suggesting wrapping ourselves in cotton wool, simply be much kinder to ourselves.
    Dealing with all this stuff is a two fold approach 1. Being kinder to ourselves 2. Following through on the advice of our Medical advisors.
    Remember Rome was not built in a day. So for all of us it is one day at a time,and make the most of every day as best we can. But in time this will all pass and we will put it behind us.
    Life is for living, mind yourself!

Agreed . . .

Its hard to see the forrest from the trees when your stuck in a dark hole in the middle . . Its funny because I am learning to recognise when I start to feel down. Still not sure why or what the exact trigger is, but by accepting that sometimes Im just going to feel down I think it makes it oddly more palatable. .

One thing I am learning is that its hard to heal a sick mind with a sick mind. That is, if you are feeling unwell emotionally or psychologically, if you think about it rationally, its not very clever to presume that you are the only person capable of helping yourself feel better. Its not to say that you are incapable of picking yourself up, but I think if you keep going to the well and being self reliant it could very well eventually catch up on you.

The biggest problem is that you have been reliant on yourself fixing your own problem, if it comes to a stage where you cant find the answer its easy to then feel completely helpless and that there is nobody else who could help you.

I am learning to try and "take it easy" on myself and spend more emotional time to things that have always been important to me (things I neglected family/pets/certain hobbies) that I took for granted. Not just that, I think that the way society is today, I see many "sick" (my interpretation) people who live for work and live for small snippets of life (night out on the town) who really arent taking advantage of all the wonderful things that life can give. .

Dont get me wrong, Im not by any means perfect, but by knowing that I am not feeling well and being prepared to do whatever I can to find a reasonable solution (help from others, medication, sacrificing old habits), I have taken the first step to enlightenment which I hope will hopefully result in a more positive, fullfilling life . I have no doubt that if I continue making the progress I feel I have been making that I will eventually find the peace and serenity that I have craved for as long as I can remember. .

Incidentally, I had a nice little cry there. Not completely sure why, but it doesnt matter, I feel a little better . . Afterwards I thought of this thread and wanted to share my thoughts with you guys. . Its by no means easy and its not easy to articulate how I am feeling or how I think I might be able to recover, but for me thats ok . . That will come, the fact that I can share my ups/downs with you guys really helps me feel like a part of a community . .

The most important thing for me to do know is to spend some serious time working out if the goatee I am growing is going to make me feel as good as I think it looks on me ! Its not all doom and gloom so . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I'm working my way through this fantastic thread but I'm only on page 44 and thought I'd post for some advice from people who have been there.

I suffer from depression. First 'major depressive episode' at 19, two more since then, neither as bad as the first, and then I had two happy, stable, normal years. I thought I was cured and would never be depressed again. My doctor agreed and we worked out a schedule to wean off the medication. Six months later, I was free and clear. Felt totally fine. Totally normal. (Didn't miss the yawning, peeing, sweating side-effects in the slightest!)

I had a major life change coming up. Moving to a new country and starting a college course. Uh, I was trying to make this anonymous a bit, but I'll just say it... I wanted to be a midwife. More than anything else in the world. As in, if I won the lotto I'd still go and do the course and become a midwife. I was really, really, really into it.

Looking back, I underestimated the stress that comes with moving countries. And starting college again. (and so old!) And trying to make friends. And living with fifteen strangers. And having no money. It's also likely that I ignored all the warning signs and tried to put them down to being homesick. I should have figured it out and got help sooner. But I didn't.

I spiralled down until I didn't want to leave my room. I didn't want to bump into people in the hall. I didn't want to have to pretend to be normal. I'd get through classes in one piece but as soon as I was back in my room I'd cry. And cry and cry and cry. There was no stopping me. If I was on my own, I was crying. The fire alarm went off one night, ear-splittingly loud, and all I could think was "I can't go out like this!" (I don't have a pretty cryface).

I was fantasising about getting hepatitis or HIV, or losing a hand, or getting pregnant so that I could go home. All my thoughts and energy were focused on going home. It was all I wanted and all I could think about. I thought I'd be magically cured if I could just go home, curl up in bed and not see anyone or talk to anyone for a while. I just wanted to be left alone.

It's funny, somebody way up the thread said their personal warning sign for depression is finding themselves muttering "ohjesus I'm so tired" when they're folding sheets or emptying the dishwasher. Years ago when I was first depressed, I'd keep thinking "I just want to go home", even when I was at home. But this time, I was away from home and thinking it constantly, so it made a lot more sense...and I didn't think I was depressed.

Oh, god, this has gone on and on and on and I haven't even got to the point yet. I'll try. I talked to an academic advisor, she gave me a week off and said, go home, get your head together, don't make any rash decisions. Decided to defer. They're keeping a spot for me next September.

THE POINT OF THIS INSANELY LONG POST:

What I really want to KNOW from you, total strangers on the internet, is will I be able for it? Is it too soon? Is it too stressful? If I survive the course, will the job be too stressful? Will I fall apart again and hate myself even more and be even more in debt and even more of a disappointment to everyone who knows me? I hate not knowing. If I decide it's not for me, is that 'giving in' to depression, or is it 'recognising my limitations'? What are your experiences with depression and work?

Anyone who's managed to read and understand all of that, thank you. Anyone who also has any suggestions/advice/anything, thank you even more.

And thank you to everyone who has posted here. It's been truly inspiring to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Cliona99 wrote: »
    I'm working my way through this fantastic thread but I'm only on page 44 and thought I'd post for some advice from people who have been there.

I suffer from depression. First 'major depressive episode' at 19, two more since then, neither as bad as the first, and then I had two happy, stable, normal years. I thought I was cured and would never be depressed again. My doctor agreed and we worked out a schedule to wean off the medication. Six months later, I was free and clear. Felt totally fine. Totally normal. (Didn't miss the yawning, peeing, sweating side-effects in the slightest!)

I had a major life change coming up. Moving to a new country and starting a college course. Uh, I was trying to make this anonymous a bit, but I'll just say it... I wanted to be a midwife. More than anything else in the world. As in, if I won the lotto I'd still go and do the course and become a midwife. I was really, really, really into it.

Looking back, I underestimated the stress that comes with moving countries. And starting college again. (and so old!) And trying to make friends. And living with fifteen strangers. And having no money. It's also likely that I ignored all the warning signs and tried to put them down to being homesick. I should have figured it out and got help sooner. But I didn't.

I spiralled down until I didn't want to leave my room. I didn't want to bump into people in the hall. I didn't want to have to pretend to be normal. I'd get through classes in one piece but as soon as I was back in my room I'd cry. And cry and cry and cry. There was no stopping me. If I was on my own, I was crying. The fire alarm went off one night, ear-splittingly loud, and all I could think was "I can't go out like this!" (I don't have a pretty cryface).

I was fantasising about getting hepatitis or HIV, or losing a hand, or getting pregnant so that I could go home. All my thoughts and energy were focused on going home. It was all I wanted and all I could think about. I thought I'd be magically cured if I could just go home, curl up in bed and not see anyone or talk to anyone for a while. I just wanted to be left alone.

It's funny, somebody way up the thread said their personal warning sign for depression is finding themselves muttering "ohjesus I'm so tired" when they're folding sheets or emptying the dishwasher. Years ago when I was first depressed, I'd keep thinking "I just want to go home", even when I was at home. But this time, I was away from home and thinking it constantly, so it made a lot more sense...and I didn't think I was depressed.

Oh, god, this has gone on and on and on and I haven't even got to the point yet. I'll try. I talked to an academic advisor, she gave me a week off and said, go home, get your head together, don't make any rash decisions. Decided to defer. They're keeping a spot for me next September.

What I really want to KNOW from you, total strangers on the internet, is will I be able for it? Is it too soon? Is it too stressful? If I survive the course, will the job be too stressful? Will I fall apart again and hate myself even more and be even more in debt and even more of a disappointment to everyone who knows me? I hate not knowing. If I decide it's not for me, is that 'giving in' to depression, or is it 'recognising my limitations'? What are your experiences with depression and work?

Anyone who's managed to read and understand all of that, thank you. Anyone who also has any suggestions/advice/anything, thank you even more.

And thank you to everyone who has posted here. It's been truly inspiring to read.

Rather than repeating my own story here have a look at my webpage where you can see an interview I did recently about my own journey of recovery from depression http://www.thomasroddy.com

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link, your website is very interesting. I'm curious about Holotropic Breathwork...is it a one-off thing or something you practice regularly?

No problem! We are all here as a crutch for ech other. By the way , crying is a natural releae valve which aids the relieving of frustrations and negative, thoughts

Firstly, your tutor has given you time out to get sorted and a place is being held for you for next Semtember. Problem 1 sorted.

Secondly it is time for you to meet your GP and seek whatever advice , support is necessary to aid your recovery This problem is not insurmountble. It is a question of getting your head to the right place to deal with your course next September.

You are already on the right road in that a. you are talking about the issues b. you are taking time out c. hopefully seeking medical attention from your GP and hopefully a Psychiatrist and Counsellor.

Time is important, so the sooner you receive the atention from your mrdical advisors the better.

Your life long ambition is to be a midwife? Is there anything else you would like to do? You are obviously are a very bright and intelligent person. Perhaps the timeout may give you the opportunity to rediscover yourself and decide what is best for you.

Most importantly be kind to yourself, you are very precious. Do not beat yourself up over this. In time the negative thoughts and feelings will pass and you will feel well again.

Please take lots of exercise , rest and sleep to aid in the recovery process. Please feel free to make further posts here or PM anyone whom you may feel can help you in anyway or at anytime.

Best wishes in your recovery. Live in the Now! One Day at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

you would need to do it regularly and you would need to be seeing a therapist as well. it's not advised to do it on your own as it can bring up pretty powerful feelings, not good if you are on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are you actually home now? If not, when you do, it would be a good idea to go back to your doctor and fill them in on what happened and what your future hopes/plans are. It is possible that medication might be help a lot (seeing as it has before). If so, don't be afraid of staying on it this time, even if you feel at some point (as before) that you don't need it anymore.

And don't ignore those warning signs - if they re-appear! :)

See the bits I bolded? They are classic negative thoughts, and you can learn to deal with them effectively. Check out CBT. On a lighter note, you may well be more in debt, but that's nothing in the big scheme of things!

Seeing as I don't know you, it is impossible to give you realistic answers to your questions at the start of the section of your post that I quoted above.

Believe it or not, you come across as a strong person, who was brave enough to do some very challenging / stressful things. You should acknowledge that as being a very positive thing.

Thanks for being brave enough to post here, and I sincerely wish you the best in the future.

Not your ornery onager

This is embarrassing, but some of these responses have actually made me cry. (quite a feat since my anti-depressants dried up all my tears. Seriously, I tried one day to *make* myself cry, couldn't do it. It's weird). Thank you all so much.

To answer some questions, yep, I'm home now. Hasn't been the magical cure I expected it to be, but I'm definitely feeling less...desperate and hopeless than I was. I have been to my (amazing) GP, I'm back on my old anti-depressants (and xanax, sleeping tabs, omega-3, B vitamins :), I'm on a waiting list for the psychiatrist and I, literally just now, emailed the counsellor my GP recommended. I feel there is hope. I have been worse before and survived!

In case I wasn't clear, THANK YOU so much for posting, (and the thousand posters before me), I am not expressing myself well but it really means a lot that strangers would be bothered. This place is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hey Cliona, I'm going to break your post down into nuggets. :)

Maybe you were cured? If you got pneumonia when you were four and didn't get it again till you were six or sixty, would you say your pneumonia wasn't cured? I know that was a physical health analogy, but mental health isn't really any different. Depression can have many causes and what factors caused the first episode might not necessarily cause subsequent episodes.

Going to college is very tough. Moving to a new country is very tough, trying to manage these together is very very very very tough. :) Curious thing about the Lotto, one year after winning it the people who win it are just a likely to be as a happy or sad as they were before winning it. It helps make a distinction between what gives a person pleasure and what makes a person happy. Having the level of conviction for your goal of being a midwife is truly admirable. But here's why I mention the Lotto. Why do people want to win the Lotto? And why do you want to be a midwife? No need to answer the latter question, but think about it yourself, will being a midwife give you pleasure or will it make you happy and why?

Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing. Rationalisation and denial of depression is something that's makes this illness the evil bastard it is. So,please, do yourself a favour don't be harsh on yourself. Several people each day perceive themselves as making the same errors of judgement you do. The thing is you're here, you've already discussed it with
    And I know that's a very hard thing to do, but you've come through one episode so you know you have the resolve within you to come through a second one. :)
    Remember the "lotto"? Would going home really have been the magical cure? And in relevance to your career decision, will midwifery be any different?

Hopefully, by now, you'll have noticed I tried to respond to your "point" in the above nuggets as well. Maybe it's just me but this "Oh God" makes it seem like your sorry for writing such a long post? Don't be so harsh on yourself. :) The world may have grown a fondness for "ADD" like media soundbytes and headlines, but a wall of text never did anyone any harm. There's nothing intimidating about it, so please don't apologise for just writing about how you feel. That's probably the depression in you telling you that you're being a burden by writing such a long post.
    I can only speak personally for myself but I find writing to be extremely liberating. It's a way to get rid of emotions that'd otherwise build up inside me like a hot pressure cooker waiting to burst.

Unfortunately, I can't really answer any of those questions. College is stressful. You won't really know about the job until you try it (although I presume in a course like that you'd have some work experience prior to its completion.)
    I can answer one question though. Will you be a disappointment to everyone who knows you? Only if you let yourself be. I'd wager that you're not a disappointment to anyone, that's just the dastardly depression talking. :)

Whatever a person's illness, too many people in my view, make the mistake that making a concession because of an illness is a bad thing. It's not; it's just managing the condition. Above all else, you want as high a quality of life as you can possibly get. Only you know your limits, we could guess what those are? But only you know. In the end, you have to be able to content yourself with that whatever decision you make you'll be satisfied regardless of the outcome. Have a read of this poem and a look at the artists interpretations of it.

I'm at the stage in my life where I have to make a really similar decision to yours. Everyone around me consistently tells me I'm cut out for academia but I'm starting to seriously doubt if my health allows me to be comfortable in such an environment. I haven't made up my mind yet, like you I have several months to think it through and I plan on doing just that.

Hope this helps and hang in there, even though they may seem like mere words just now, there will be better days ahead of you.:)

This is embarrassing, but some of these responses have actually made me cry. (quite a feat since my anti-depressants dried up all my tears. Seriously, I tried one day to *make* myself cry, couldn't do it. It's weird). Thank you all so much.

To answer some questions, yep, I'm home now. Hasn't been the magical cure I expected it to be, but I'm definitely feeling less...desperate and hopeless than I was. I have been to my (amazing) GP, I'm back on my old anti-depressants (and xanax, sleeping tabs, omega-3, B vitamins :), I'm on a waiting list for the psychiatrist and I, literally just now, emailed the counsellor my GP recommended. I feel there is hope. I have been worse before and survived!

In case I wasn't clear, THANK YOU so much for posting, (and the thousand posters before me), I am not expressing myself well but it really means a lot that strangers would be bothered. This place is incredible.

Dear Cliona,
    Absolutely no need to feel embarrased. We are here for you, we are all going or have gone along this road.

I am delighted to hear you are home, which has taken one pressure away.

Furthermore I am thrilled that you are attending your GP and following through on the medications and are making an appointment with a Counsellor.

The appointment with the Psychiatrist is equally important, so please follow up on seeking an early appointment.

You have survived worse and I am very confident that you have the intelligence and inner strength to come through this temporary setback.

Please be kind to yourself, banish negative thoughts about disappointng others. You are the most important person in the world right now. Please take great care of yourself. Spoil yourself.

We are all here for you.

Sincerely

Del

Ive posted this before so sorry for repeating myself . .

When I was younger I suffered from terrible anxiety, depression and felt a terrible numbness consistantly that made my life hollow and made it difficult to get excited about anything. . I went to councelling. . This is the summary of how the last 15 years have gone:
    • Partner - I thought this would get rid of my lonliness and help me feel better. This helped but soon I went back to my original depressing state.
    • Home - I thought having a home with my partner would give me more stability and help me feel more confident and ultimately help me get rid of my depression. It was great for awhile, but the dark clouds returned
    • Children - Ah, this is what was missing, once I fill my home with children with the woman I love, I couldnt but fail to live the fullfilling life that I have always imagined. . But in time it got even harder, especially as I wasnt able to get alot of rest which made me feel like a narky, nasty person and a terrible parent when Im feeling down (which I know Im not!).
    • Lotto - Ah, if I had loads of money I could focus on family, get proper rest and I could look at jobs that I might enjoy without the worry of finances . .
    Still havent won the lotto or sorted out my financial situation, but do you know what I have figured out ? My life is not richer or poorer for these things, my life is happy/sad depending on how I can relate to the circumstances I find myself in.

I have a family and children and great friends, yet for long periods of time I felt like the loneliest person in the world. A person with no friends or family would be craving what they would perceive me to have but in truth I was no better off. If anything , having a partner and feeling lonely is worse then not having a partner and feeling lonely because at least without a partner you know there is a good reason why you feel lonely and you have a visible target. There is no obvious answer to the riddle of what exactly a person who feels lonely should do if they are married, with kids and have loads of friends/family who love them dearly. .

In relation to your post, coming home has been a good step in my honest opinion but there is a strong chance that whatever makes you feel down is still hovering around you like a dark cloud waiting for the right conditions for it to return. This isnt a reason to fear it, its a reason to respect it, awknowledge it and realise that its just a part of your life. The I embrace who I am (good/bad) the more I feel that I am dealing with the downs aswell as the ups.

I am coming off specific medication and my mood swings are ridiculous. One minute I am happy with life and not thinking about "what external forces (lotto) could I do with to make me feel better now!", Im enjoying the moment. The next minute Im focusing on everything that upsets me (work - solution lotto, car broker - solution lotto , tired need a break/holida - solution winning lotto) and my entire thought is focused on all the negatives or even small inconveniences that can be solved with one simple bit of luck. . But in truth they cant and wont be solved by winning the lotto because something else will make me feel just as down if I win the lotto. Its an illness of the mind that I have that makes me feel depressed, irrespective of the importance or triviality of whatever is bothering me. . Remember rich people can get depressed! (or at least thats what I read).

I will leave it at that cause I could waffle on forever (some of the poor readers on this thread know what I mean), but coming here has been a huge help for me. I find it so empowering at least being able to share my story and read other peoples path to peace/serenity. For me the pursuit of happiness is worth trying for, but I dont believe that there is one person ever alive that has had a life without feeling down or depressed at some stage.

Incidentally what I am learning is to completely downgrade the imporance of what Profession I am in or what job I would like. I am prioritising what I enjoy in life (time with my children, refilling bird feeder, taking dogs for walk, trying out new things - archary , thinking about joining up courses (psychology) and then allowing my work to fit in around it. Work is not important to me. Dont get me wrong, I work hard for my clients (im self employed) but the more I make it less important the better quality work I find myself doing (because Im not as stressed and I am able to make decisions and give more accurate advice that is not just about "the sale"). I am finding that focusing on myself and allowing myself to feel down and allowing myself little pleasures, little pockets of rest (eg daydream for a minute), that my life is slowly but surely becoming so much more rewarding.

Sorry . .Will stop there . . Short and sweet . .:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm in an absolutely dark place at the moment. I genuinely wouldn't care if I was just roaming the streets. I know lots of people say this in this position and it sounds juvenile but my life as I knew it is over. Been through treatments, been through the system. It is depression now but only because everything in my life has led to this nothing. Being on a bus with secondary school kids I get the most desperate pain, almost unbearable thinking that less than 10 years ago I still had that hope and confidence and validity.

I'm just dragging my body around at this stage, that's how I'd sum up my life now and in the future.

• Advertisement

I'm in an absolutely dark place at the moment. I genuinely wouldn't care if I was just roaming the streets. I know lots of people say this in this position and it sounds juvenile but my life as I knew it is over. Been through treatments, been through the system. It is depression now but only because everything in my life has led to this nothing. Being on a bus with secondary school kids I get the most desperate pain, almost unbearable thinking that less than 10 years ago I still had that hope and confidence and validity.

I'm just dragging my body around at this stage, that's how I'd sum up my life now and in the future.

Im sorry to read that Jimmy.

Right now I am feeling well but if the weather changes, I might join you tomorrow.

I cant tell you how to feel better and I cant give you answers to your current predicament, but I can say that the day is darkest just before the dawn (yes thats from Batman).

By posting your feelings here you have taken one step (better then not doing anything) to try and help pick yourself up. Dont fret if you dont feel better, dont fret if your problems arent solved, just be conscious that you may very well of made somebody else who is feeling very similar to you, feel that bit less lonely. For that, I hope that gives you even one second of self satisfaction, a moment of happiness that you have helped somebody else. .

Advertisement