Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've become more and more isolated since the start of the year. Spending so much time in bed - too anxious to do much each day. I don't feel that the meds I am on are helping in any way - I just feel drained and flat emotionally and physically.

I get moments of happiness but they are all too brief and fleeting. The feelings of self-doubt, anxiety, fear for the welfare of my loved ones and regrets just crowd the positive emotions out. I try to push myself to get out of bed each day, get something to eat and go online for a while. I have not worked full time in 6 years now since I was bullied out of a very good job. I can't stop dwelling on the past and being full of regrets, feeling guilty and angry with myself.

I want to climb out of this rut but feel too frightened to. The anxiety is holding me back and holding me down.

I am very fortunate to have a network of supportive family and friends. I do know things could be much worse and I try to remind myself of that each day. If only the anxiety that has ruled my life like a tyrant would abate and let me live.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JupiterKid, are you getting professional counselling? Check out Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Jupiterkid,

I believe you need to go back and have a chat with your GP, meds may need to be adjusted. CBT would certainly help, perhaps your GP could arrange for you to meet someone you could work with in this area.

For what it is worth I am familiar with the symptoms and experiences you are enduring. I know how hard it can be to get out of bed, how hard it is to eat.
    I am delighted you made the effort to write here this evening.

Please make contact with your GP and get things moving again. Things are hard going for you at the moment, but these dark days will pass.

I spent a little time mooching in the garden today, despite feeling extremely tired. It was motivating just to see bulbs emerging from the ground.life is precious, even the fresh air on my face had an uplifting feeling, despite the cold!

If you get a chance wrap up warm and bring a mug of tea with you into the garden tomorrow morning and just observe and listen to nature. It is amazing how living in the moment can give you a boost. Remember small steps first to get you back on the road to recovery

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Depression sucks.

The highs, oh god the highs. I hate the highs. I really do. I hit such a high this week and convinced myself that I was better.

I'm not. I'm really not. I'm finding even the most mundane things a struggle now that I've hit this low. I know I can go to bed and and hopefully wake up with better thoughts tomorrow. But I know I won't feel better. I've lost confidence in myself to get better.

And I'm afraid to go back to my doctor - I know what she's going to say and I'm not ready to hear it. I want to get better. I need to get better. But I know, deep down, I'm not strong enough.

Hersheys wrote: »
    Depression sucks.

The highs, oh god the highs. I hate the highs. I really do. I hit such a high this week and convinced myself that I was better.

I'm not. I'm really not. I'm finding even the most mundane things a struggle now that I've hit this low. I know I can go to bed and and hopefully wake up with better thoughts tomorrow. But I know I won't feel better. I've lost confidence in myself to get better.

And I'm afraid to go back to my doctor - I know what she's going to say and I'm not ready to hear it. I want to get better. I need to get better. But I know, deep down, I'm not strong enough.

Hershey's,
    First of all be kind to your to yourself.
    Relax, get sleep, and make sure you are getting something to eat.
    We all need help to get better, so I recommend visiting your GP tomorrow.
    I was that soldier two weeks ago, thankfully the visit to my GP helped me turn the corner and get back on track again. It is not a sign of weakness to ask your GP to help you, they are there to help you.
    Trust me, without the help of my GP , Counsellor, Psychiatrist and Psychologist I would not feel well enough to chat with you on Boards this pm.
    Please , all your fellow Boardsies want the best for you, so how about making that call to your GP ? I bet you are stronger than you may think.?
    By the way we are always here to chat with you as we are all dealing with this awful illness Depression.
    Personally I find it easier now to talk about this illness thanks to Boards and fellow Boardsies who have given me the confidence to chat here. We are all a crutch for each other.
    Come on join us on the journey, we want to hear of your progress. Perhaps you may learn something which may help someone here.
    Best wishes.:)

• Advertisement

Hershey's,
    First of all be kind to your to yourself.
    Relax, get sleep, and make sure you are getting something to eat.
    We all need help to get better, so I recommend visiting your GP tomorrow.
    I was that soldier two weeks ago, thankfully the visit to my GP helped me turn the corner and get back on track again. It is not a sign of weakness to ask your GP to help you, they are there to help you.
    Trust me, without the help of my GP , Counsellor, Psychiatrist and Psychologist I would not feel well enough to chat with you on Boards this pm.
    Please , all your fellow Boardsies want the best for you, so how about making that call to your GP ? I bet you are stronger than you may think.?
    By the way we are always here to chat with you as we are all dealing with this awful illness Depression.
    Personally I find it easier now to talk about this illness thanks to Boards and fellow Boardsies who have given me the confidence to chat here. We are all a crutch for each other.
    Come on join us on the journey, we want to hear of your progress. Perhaps you may learn something which may help someone here.
    Best wishes.:)
    I only saw her last week & she said there's nothing more she can do as she's out of her depth & we're waiting on a referral to a psych. So I'm afraid she will try get me to check myself in & I just don't have the time. She's mentioned it before, this isn't just me speculating.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Esel wrote: »
    JupiterKid, are you getting professional counselling? Check out Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT).

Thanks for that.:)

Yes, I've done CBT a couple of times before with limited success. I was in psychiatric hospital for 6 weeks in 2010 and did a very intensive anxiety programme and CBT in there and afterwards as an outpatient but what happens is each time I do a course (the last one was ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Training - last summer) I get a lift during and afterwards and say to myself that I will get my life back on track - but then the doubt, anxiety and fear creeps back in and I slide backwards.

I have a psychiatrist and a good GP but I think I need some counselling at the moment and I need to draw up a life plan to get me out of this goddamn rut. Worry and fear rule my life at them moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I get a lift during and afterwards and say to myself that I will get my life back on track - but then the doubt, anxiety and fear creeps back in and I slide backwards.
    If you have learned strategies to challenge these feelings/thoughts, it will help if you put these into practice as soon as you spot yourself having those thoughts. Easy to say, I know... :)

Not your ornery onager

I only saw her last week & she said there's nothing more she can do as she's out of her depth & we're waiting on a referral to a psych. So I'm afraid she will try get me to check myself in & I just don't have the time. She's mentioned it before, this isn't just me speculating.

Ok, is it possible to speed up a referral to a Psych by going Privately?
    I guess you will still need a referral lette from your GP.Would it be worth discussing with your GP the option of counselling ?
    I can sense your anxiety about the time involved if you are admitted to hospital, however is it not time invested in getting your health back on track? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Guys thanks for the support

Thanks del, for your kind words

I climbed out of bed around five, went to the shop. Got some milk & bread, watched more tv. Cooked a meal, made myself eat.

Off fags for three days now honestly don't miss them feel like if I am still off them tomorrow, will go for a run during the week. In the past just after my dad passed away I found running helped me immensely it lifted my mood help me think everything through. Its been months since I ran so hopefully it won't be too hard. Excercise won't be a magic bullet but it might help.

I might try & make a plan of what I need to do this week, work, leisure, emails etc. I know deep down that I need to work on me. I feel I need to start focussing on what's good in my life. I know if I keep focussing on the negative that I will become down. I will do that tomorrow ;D

God I feel a lot better since I got up. It is almost like a switch, hope it stays this way for a while.

Boardsies I really appreciate this thread I think it is helping me through these tough times, reading that I am not alone.

I know now that I have always had an underlying depressed person in me, but I kept myself busy hiding it away.

But from now on I am going to accept that it is part of me & that I will not let it rule my life, but when the depressed negative anxious me rises up, I am going to acknowledge it & ask it to give me a chance to feel okay, that it's not what I want. That if you do want to hang around do, but please don't interupt my positive thoughts, & attempt a smile.

I know that I need to be more self aware, and I want to recognise too that others are in the same boat as me.

One positive thing that has come out of this emotional distress is that I recognise it now in others. Since I started seeing a counsellor I have told half a dozen people quite matter of factly and in the majority their response has been very receptive. One or two, & these are people who are close friends well let's say their attitude is what have I got to be depressed about? But not everyone will understand, so I am going to have to accept this. but talking about it this time round is helping me, so I am going to continue doing this with people I trust.

When I recognise emotional distress in another person i try to empathise. I want to become a better listener, having been in the pits of utter despair, i know that being depressed is a painful experience, but it's alright to be emotionally distressed, sad & lonely.

Love is a word that is hard for a lot of people to say. But the word hate is easier to say, but hate is a word that when I find myself using it, I hear my father say that " hate is a strong word, use dislike instead" so I try to keep the word out of my vocab

Before he died, for months, my father told me he loved me everyday. It broke my heart coz I thought selfishly that when he dies, his love will be missing from my life & leave a huge void.

So when i feel good, I like to Think of what I do love.
    I love my friends & family. I love spring,
    I love tea, I love sunshine, I love watching football. I love swimming. I love reading. I love cycling, I love learning new things. I love singing. I love travelling.

I love this thread!

I Love laughing, I can't wait to feel that joy that I used to get from a good aul laugh. Then I know I will be on the way back to loving myself again.

Maybe! If I can learn to really laugh again maybe I will learn to love myself again.

bring me sunshine 

• Advertisement

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    Guys thanks for the support

Thanks del, for your kind words

I climbed out of bed around five, went to the shop. Got some milk & bread, watched more tv. Cooked a meal, made myself eat.

Off fags for three days now honestly don't miss them feel like if I am still off them tomorrow, will go for a run during the week. In the past just after my dad passed away I found running helped me immensely it lifted my mood help me think everything through. Its been months since I ran so hopefully it won't be too hard. Excercise won't be a magic bullet but it might help.

I might try & make a plan of what I need to do this week, work, leisure, emails etc. I know deep down that I need to work on me. I feel I need to start focussing on what's good in my life. I know if I keep focussing on the negative that I will become down. I will do that tomorrow ;D

God I feel a lot better since I got up. It is almost like a switch, hope it stays this way for a while.

Boardsies I really appreciate this thread I think it is helping me through these tough times, reading that I am not alone.

I know now that I have always had an underlying depressed person in me, but I kept myself busy hiding it away.

But from now on I am going to accept that it is part of me & that I will not let it rule my life, but when the depressed negative anxious me rises up, I am going to acknowledge it & ask it to give me a chance to feel okay, that it's not what I want. That if you do want to hang around do, but please don't interupt my positive thoughts, & attempt a smile.

I know that I need to be more self aware, and I want to recognise too that others are in the same boat as me.

One positive thing that has come out of this emotional distress is that I recognise it now in others. Since I started seeing a counsellor I have told half a dozen people quite matter of factly and in the majority their response has been very receptive. One or two, & these are people who are close friends well let's say their attitude is what have I got to be depressed about? But not everyone will understand, so I am going to have to accept this. but talking about it this time round is helping me, so I am going to continue doing this with people I trust.

When I recognise emotional distress in another person i try to empathise. I want to become a better listener, having been in the pits of utter despair, i know that being depressed is a painful experience, but it's alright to be emotionally distressed, sad & lonely.

Love is a word that is hard for a lot of people to say. But the word hate is easier to say, but hate is a word that when I find myself using it, I hear my father say that " hate is a strong word, use dislike instead" so I try to keep the word out of my vocab

Before he died, for months, my father told me he loved me everyday. It broke my heart coz I thought selfishly that when he dies, his love will be missing from my life & leave a huge void.

So when i feel good, I like to Think of what I do love.
    I love my friends & family. I love spring,
    I love tea, I love sunshine, I love watching football. I love swimming. I love reading. I love cycling, I love learning new things. I love singing. I love travelling.

I love this thread!

I Love laughing, I can't wait to feel that joy that I used to get from a good aul laugh. Then I know I will be on the way back to loving myself again.

Maybe! If I can learn to really laugh again maybe I will learn to love myself again.

bring me sunshine 

Wurlitzer,
    Fantastic!
    You have really made my evening.
    You are well on the road to recovery. I am absolutely thrilled for you.
    Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.We all want the very best for you here on Boards.
    I am sure some of our friends here will get great inspiration from your latest post.
    Thank you most sincerely:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I never cease to be amazed about how nice and helpful people can be on boards. I honestly think I'd have killed myself by now if it wasn't for some of the amazingly kind and helpful PMs I've gotten from people about some personal things.
    People can never realise how great full I am for it.
    I don't intend on dying soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

f*cking wrecking my head up no end tonight. I dont ever see me getting to the "other end" of feeling like ****. my brains are fried. I dont ever see me goin back to working full time again.
    Thing is I can rationally acept that its just I dont want to leave some one down. I dont want them thinking I am a sponge or lazy because I dont work full time but i cant work full time.
    He worries about money but we doing fine I couldnt give a **** about money.
    I know im rambling. I'm going between not caring about a thing or anyone or weither i shower or eat to being manically obsessed about upsetting some one or them thinking im a failure.

handbagmad wrote: »
    f*cking wrecking my head up no end tonight. I dont ever see me getting to the "other end" of feeling like ****. my brains are fried. I dont ever see me goin back to working full time again.
    Thing is I can rationally acept that its just I dont want to leave some one down. I dont want them thinking I am a sponge or lazy because I dont work full time but i cant work full time.
    He worries about money but we doing fine I couldnt give a **** about money.
    I know im rambling. I'm going between not caring about a thing or anyone or weither i shower or eat to being manically obsessed about upsetting some one or them thinking im a failure.

Work is secondary to your health. You are more important than money.
    First of all you need to be kind to yourself, get lots of rest and eat well.
    A visit to your GP would be recommended, perhaps a little medication could help you sleep and relive your anxiety.
    You are very precious. You appear to be showing signs of depression, trust me I have experienced some of the feelings and apathy you are going through right now.
    Please for the sake of your health, make the call to your GP today and take the first step on the road to recovery.
    Life is for living. Please go for it! It is a lovely morning, try and get some fresh air. Live in the moment. Spring and nature are hard at work, observe the activity in your garden which hopefully will give you the little bit of motivation you need right now.
    We will be delighted to hear of your progress which may inspire others who read this thread.
    Very best wishes
    Sincerely

Ok, is it possible to speed up a referral to a Psych by going Privately?
    I guess you will still need a referral lette from your GP.Would it be worth discussing with your GP the option of counselling ?
    I can sense your anxiety about the time involved if you are admitted to hospital, however is it not time invested in getting your health back on track? What do you think?
    I don't earn any money & don't even have job seekers or anything, I'm a student. I've asked for referral to the college psych but nothing has happened as of yet. I've also been seeing the college counsellor but my impression I got from the counsellor is that they're there for interim problems, not long term, so they're not much use with my current thoughts and needs.

With regards the time in hospital - I'm a student, I need to focus on getting through the academic year. Also my family don't (and can't) know my problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Today, I am finally no longer a teenager./ Thank god :P

I don't earn any money & don't even have job seekers or anything, I'm a student. I've asked for referral to the college psych but nothing has happened as of yet. I've also been seeing the college counsellor but my impression I got from the counsellor is that they're there for interim problems, not long term, so they're not much use with my current thoughts and needs.

With regards the time in hospital - I'm a student, I need to focus on getting through the academic year. Also my family don't (and can't) know my problems.

A problem shared is a problem halved.
    Whyever you can't you talk to you parents about this issue.?My guess is they will be very understanding and do all in their power to support you and get you back on the right road.
    Without Medical intervention , you will struggle to complete your Academic year, with help you will fly through it.
    Please you and your health must come first, even ahead of studies. If you allow your health issues to take over, it will be very difficult to get back into the groove.
    Please you are young enough to put this temporary set back behind you if you seek help both from your Gp and Support from your parents.
    Be kind to yourself, get yourself back on track and start going forwards .
    We are all keen for you to make progress, whilst it may seem daunting at the moment, in the overall scheme of things it is little more than a temporary glitch.
    Best wishes

cloud493 wrote: »
    Happy birthday!

cloud493 wrote: »

Happy Birthday!:)

Hershey's,

I am really concerned about you. Have you had a look at www. Aware.ie.
    This website may be in a position to offer further advice. I understand they have
    A team of Professionals who can offer advice. It is also free of charge.
    The above may be worth giving serious consideration.
    Please promise that you will do something positive today, the sooner you start the better. I fully appreciate your studies situation, the sooner you start, the less impact it is likely to have on your Academic Year.
    Best wishes from one of your fellow Boardsies.
    Please let us know your progress.

• Advertisement

I never cease to be amazed about how nice and helpful people can be on boards. I honestly think I'd have killed myself by now if it wasn't for some of the amazingly kind and helpful PMs I've gotten from people about some personal things.
    People can never realise how great full I am for it.
    I don't intend on dying soon.

The great thing is once you realise that you are not alone and that fellow Boardsies are going through similar symptoms, it is like having an emotional crutch on which to lean.
    I have to say that I have come across the nicest of people on this thread, even when they are in turmoil, they always have a positive word , or message which provides enough motivation to keep going.
    Knowing that one is not alone and that one can identify with some of the symptoms makes it much less overwhelming.
    I thank the Boardsies most sincerely for their support and friendship which helps me get through every day.
    It is gratifying to know that even when the country is going through economic difficulties, that there are so many genuinely nice people on this thread, who say nice words of encouragement, while we travel along tis bumpy road.
    Many thanks
    Very sincerely

I'm okay - honestly :) I'm just in a bit of a low. I'm due to see my counsellor soon and I'm being proactive with college work.

I'm okay - honestly :) I'm just in a bit of a low. I'm due to see my counsellor soon and I'm being proactive with college work.

Well done!
    Delighted to hear you are meeting your Counsellor soon.
    Certainly college work will help you focus for the coming weeks.
    The low mood will pass.
    Kindest wishes to you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    Drumpot you seem to doing great. I can't wait to be where you are now.

This is my second post on this thread, I too have a desire to be happy. I am four weeks seeing a counsellor for my depression. After the last session, I suffered my first anxiety attack & I text my ex in this agitated state but he did n't reply. So now I feel like a stalker. Friday I was fine, my sister said that she could hear it in my voice. But then I met friends for drinks on Friday evening came home early, & have been in bed since. I only get up to go to the bathroom or to get something small to eat. I am watching pointless tv, Internet and crying. I also gave up smoking last thursday so don't know if that's plunging me further into this depression. The last two days I have done nothing but cry. Can't seem to get a handle on things I have no motivation to do anything. I know the break up spurred all this but i think it's grief after my dads death too that I never dealt with. I want to be happy I can't remember when I last was happy.

All I do is cry, I am sure if my sister heard my voice now she would hear sadness & loneliness

Drumpot I
    Admire your
    Strength

I am glad to see you are making progress . . I think most people posting on this forum are making progress. When I went into CBT originally, I had very cynical views on life and getting better. In short , I couldnt remember a time when I lived a moment or day carefree - enjoyed a simple pleasure for what it was , instead of worrying about losing that feeling (which ruined the moment!) or wishing that life was always as enjoyable as that moment. .

I was crying in the bath last night. Cant say why exactly, but it felt nice. Listening to music, I sometimes imagine my life as a movie. My favourate ending to my movie is me walking down a beach with my dogs and some happy music coming on as a song plays (one that suggests this guys life is gonna be great from here on in) . . The camera pans away , getting higher as I slowly become a spot on a beach in the distance . .

As much as I have learned over the last few months, I still have awful moments of loneliness. Looking at my face in the mirror and having a quick cry, feeling sorry for myself and then clicking back into focus, back to life. I always wondered why I enjoyed the movie "sucker punch" (not suggesting people watch it, but I enjoy the way the main character goes into their own world to deal with the harshness of reality), this happens from time to time, I enjoy movies that I cant understand why. Its because they have deeper meanings them the average person would look into. I love movies where you can google or read up more about them to find what they truley mean. Part of this reason is because it takes my focus and thinking off the usual sh*t that upsets me. For the time that I am enjoying trying to figure out what the message is about (Cloud Atlas is that movie at the moment), Im not worried about the normal things in life that drag me down to the dark places I hate to settle in.

Reading peoples stories here is helpful, theraputic and oddly comforting because I find it reminds me that i am not alone. This doesnt mean I dont feel alone, but I find it so so helpful posting and reading posts here. Sometimes I reply to others posts, but what is great is that while my instinct is to respond to every post, there are plenty of boardies with great advice, better then mine who will post before I can. and better still I can get tips and advice from there, whereas once I used to feel like I was the ONLY person who knew how I felt or had a potential answer, now I know there are more wiser people with a greater knowledge of what I am going through which makes me feel comforted.

I try to find one thing a day that gives me some sort of sense of satisfaction. Doesnt have to be big
    • Make wife cup of tea
    • Give me wife a random kiss and tell her how much I love her
    • Get dogs out for long walk
    • spend more time with the kids
    • Phone my mum to ask how she feels
    • Feed the birds some nuts
    But one other thing I try to do is something nice for myself. Something for myself that makes me feel good about myself. This is usually to ALLOW MYSELF to enjoy a certain moment. It may be the birds eating the bird feed out the back, a moment watching my two boys playing together, but its something that is putting importance on ALLOWING MYSELF to be in a moment of happiness/peace for a minute or two.

I used to just drive through the day (I work for myself) either working hard, or having an extremely unproductive day worrying about not working enough. Now I try a work/life balance and try to have pockets of moments where I ALLOW MYSELF a few seconds/minutes to take a mental breather. To switch off or have a moment of happiness that breaks the strangling agony that work can sometimes be. .

I keep highlighting the comment ALLOW MYSELF because this is a huge step I have had to take. Normaly if a day is not going how I had planned or hoped (not just in work, but normal day life), I get frustrated, agitated, anxious and angry. In my head I am thinking something on the lines of : "I couldnt possibly ALLOW MYSELF to take a breather - sure I had done F**k all that day to deserve it, until I have a productive day that satisfys me I cannot enjoy anything." This means that anyday things arent going to MY PLAN is a bad day that could potential turn out into one of those days. This means that it doesnt take much to send me into the depths of despair, so good days are infrequent and bad day become "the norm". .

Sorry, will stop there, I have a tendancy to waffle on. . Anyways, Im glad to see people are still posting here and taking solice from the kind words of strangers. Talk to you all soon . .

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Happy birthday Cloud!! The world is a better place with you in it. :)

Wurlitzer, running is a great idea if it works for you! Physical exercise for some people is a really good way to push all the anxieties out to the edges of your mind in a sense and that gives me breathing space and a feeling of being able to cope. Not to mention the satisfaction that I have done something solid to improve my health. There are physiological reasons why it helps to, but I'm not qualified to go into that :)
    I just know I feel a nice sense of peace and contentment after a good session.

The most important thing for us all to remember is "This shall pass". Things will always look brighter in a while. Now, I'm seriously thinking of getting that tattooed to my forehead like yer man in Memento so that I remember it when I have low mood again, because its hard to believe when you feel that way. Just try to put off any big decisions until you feel "right" again... (decisions OTHER than to go and get help, thats always a good decision in my experience! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

DeVore wrote: »

The most important thing for us all to remember is "This shall pass".

This is the most important thing. Even though tomorrow when I'm probably extra-low, obsessively thinking about suicide I have enough experience now to say that every time it does pass. It may only be a day between two slumps but each slump passes and I am (and everyone else is) still here.

Still breathin' :cool:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Btw, I'm speaking at this : http://www.nationalemploymentweek.ie/#!dublin-mental-health-day/c1iw3
    on Thursday.

I intend to have a serious giggle at it :)

Hersheys glad to hear you are feeling better, hope counselling session goes well. Good to hear that you are feeling positive about your college work. Try and pace yourself with the work, maybe spreading out your assignments. Or even studying one subject for 45 mins. Taking a break & moving onto the next subject, keep a diary of what you need to revise or look over. Try drinking a small glass of water every hour you study. Taking short breaks during a study session will help. Also I use to use read revise then remember, mind maps are also helpful when studying.

Pace yourself, I was once were you were once I can tell you the anxiety does pass.

My sister suffered from depression in her early twenties & she found when she told our parents she found it a big relief. The support she got from them was amazing. She has a busy life now, but I found since I became depressed that when I do talk to her she knows what I am talking about, but I see her wisdom not only comes from within her but that it was from speaking to my parents about her depression that made her more self aware & comfortable with her depression & anxiety

Take care of yourself. be strong & it will pass

Hug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I don't know how you can have the attitude that everything will pass. Even if one thing does, there's always another crap thing around the corner.
    I'd have thought having a friend, boyfriend and family, that you couldn't feel alone, but turns out it is possible. Down so much lately because of where I'm going with work, and not being able to get a job or decide on doing a course etc. And my job is utter sh*t. I need to feel I have support. But I don't. Can't see myself going to work tomorrow. I just have nothing.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »

The most important thing for us all to remember is "This shall pass". Things will always look brighter in a while. Now, I'm seriously thinking of getting that tattooed to my forehead like yer man in Memento so that I remember it when I have low mood again, because its hard to believe when you feel that way. Just try to put off any big decisions until you feel "right" again... (decisions OTHER than to go and get help, thats always a good decision in my experience! :) )

Hey guys
    Happy birthday cloud

Devore & drumpot thanks for the encouragement I really need it right now I feel this thread had helped me immensely

Devore regarding decisions

Well I may have decisions to make regarding work though..which I am not sure about. I will have to make a decision in the coming weeks.

To stay in a permanent job with alright pay no challenge but a pension.

Or

Take a job that's a challenge more pay but only fixed term contract for a couple of years

Not sure what to do, & the opportunity has arisen during this deep depression that I am trying to climb out of.

Don't know if a challenging job without security will hinder my progress.

Apart from this I feel good, feeling great, love this thread & the sun shone today.

Thanks boardsies you give me hope

Advertisement