Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Positive form continues.
    Slept well again last night, 8 hours.
    Took friend's dog for a walk in the woods , clipped along at a nice pace for an hour.
    As it was raining we were reasonably sheltered following the nature trail. Though even the raindrops were precious on my head and face.
    It was wonderful to hear the birds chirping, the trees rustling in the wind and the river running towards the sea. The snow drops emerging from the undergrowth, indicating that Spring is here. Hope at last.
    I always feel by getting close to nature helps improve my mood as I look in awe at the return of life, buds on trees, wild flowers about to bloom.
    Before becoming ill, the simple things in life passed me by, because I was too busy travelling and working,too busy putting others first, too busy to stand back and look at the wonders of nature.
    As I have said before, the best things in life are free.
    Folks I know it is easier said than done, but if you are having a duvet day,feeling low, please , wrap up, get out to your garden , or local park, and just have a look around you, it is easy to forget the positive effects that nature and Spring can bring into our lives....
    Be kind to yourselves, because you are worth it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

E.S.T. wrote: »
    If going bald bothers you so much then why wouldn't you just take finasteride?

Off topic a little but if you do a google on this drug it appears to have side effects including anxiety and depression, just thought I'd mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Del, delighted you're having a good day again. Your descriptions certainly make me *want* to go outside...whether I'll make it or not is another thing :)

And you're right about pets. Some people talk about their children as their reason for getting out of bed, mine is my dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Positive form continues.
    Slept well again last night, 8 hours.
    Took friend's dog for a walk in the woods , clipped along at a nice pace for an hour.
    As it was raining we were reasonably sheltered following the nature trail. Though even the raindrops were precious on my head and face.
    It was wonderful to hear the birds chirping, the trees rustling in the wind and the river running towards the sea. The snow drops emerging from the undergrowth, indicating that Spring is here. Hope at last.
    I always feel by getting close to nature helps improve my mood as I look in awe at the return of life, buds on trees, wild flowers about to bloom.
    Before becoming ill, the simple things in life passed me by, because I was too busy travelling and working,too busy putting others first, too busy to stand back and look at the wonders of nature.
    As I have said before, the best things in life are free.
    Folks I know it is easier said than done, but if you are having a duvet day,feeling low, please , wrap up, get out to your garden , or local park, and just have a look around you, it is easy to forget the positive effects that nature and Spring can bring into our lives....
    Be kind to yourselves, because you are worth it.:)

LOVE all your posts here always makes me smile that part I highlighted is just like a poem :) great your feeling ok and pets do help love just going out with the dog in the fresh air.:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My dog (Joshua) keeps me very much in the present as he's a total handful.
    Staying in the "Now" seems to be a big part of keeping myself healthy and content. Having him around forces me to think about things like his feeds and his walks and he regularly does daft things that make me laugh. It also puts a routine on the day and while I hate routine, its good to have some structure.

Don't be fooled by the angelic look, he'd chew the house down if I let him.

8348165968_0081f66e5b.jpg
    Hello you! by devoresphotos, on Flickr

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Staying in the "Now" seems to be a big part of keeping myself healthy and content. Having him around forces me to think about things like his feeds and his walks and he regularly does daft things that make me laugh. It also puts a routine on the day and while I hate routine, its good to have some structure.

Devore,
    Many thanks.
    I think Joshua entered my life too.
    Joshua has become part of my wife's life. She is one of Joshua's biggest fans and gives me regular updates on his progress from Boards.ie
    He sounds like a bit of a handful though I don't think you would send him back!
    Best regards.:)

Cliona99 wrote: »
    Del, delighted you're having a good day again. Your descriptions certainly make me *want* to go outside...whether I'll make it or not is another thing :)

And you're right about pets. Some people talk about their children as their reason for getting out of bed, mine is my dog.

Cliona,
    Thank you for your kind message.
    Having a good week, even managed to get my haircut this afternoon which has given me a further boost. It was lovely to chat with a young lady who is full of life and positivity. Often think hairdressers would make great counsellors. The haircut which was perhaps 3 weeks overdue made me look better too! Because I'm worth it!.
    Seriously spoil yourself , get outdoors for a while, bring your dog with you, it is also amazing how many other nice people are out walking their dogs too. Exchanging a few polite words even helps the self confidence. The fresh air and exercise also help to promote the positive chemicals in our brains which help our mood. Go on you are worth it!
    Have a nice evening
    Best Regards
    Del:)

hollster2 wrote: »
    LOVE all your posts here always makes me smile that part I highlighted is just like a poem :) great your feeling ok and pets do help love just going out with the dog in the fresh air.:)

Hollster,

Thank you so much for your kind words, which have given me a further boost.
    I am really having a good week. The support on this forum is amazing.
    Hoping you are having a good week. Perhaps you are taking your dog out for a walk this evening. It is amazing when walking the dog there are so many positives no matter what the weather. Be kind to yourself.
    Best regards:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

I'm rock bottom, drinking for months and months on end. all day every day.hoping i will die every-time I go to sleep. my day consists of getting up (after being awake all night from around 1am), puking my guts out and start drinking again. Gone so absent minded now I can't even figure out a plan on how to get out of this. Mother was very ill, life or death thing for months on end, have a stalker who never leaves me alone which means i have all sorts of court orders out, and one of my best friends died last week at a young age

I'm rock bottom, drinking for months and months on end. all day every day.hoping i will die every-time I go to sleep. my day consists of getting up (after being awake all night from around 1am), puking my guts out and start drinking again. Gone so absent minded now I can't even figure out a plan on how to get out of this. Mother was very ill, life or death thing for months on end, have a stalker who never leaves me alone which means i have all sorts of court orders out, and one of my best friends died last week at a young age

Please, please be kind to yourself.
    You have been dealing with a massive amount of grief and stress in your personal life.
    You are very precious.
    You need to put yourself first.
    May I suggest as an immediate course of action to arrange a meeting with your GP who can give you the Professional advice you need to get your life back on track.
    Please avoid any further alcohol, it is simply adding to the Depression, rather than helping the situation. Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration, try to eat small amounts of food to give you some nourishment to protect your physical health
    Life is for living, you have shown great strength in posting here.
    I am confident that you can get control back in your life.From experience I can empathise with Stress and Depression
    As a fellow Boardsie I wish you every good wish in getting your health back.
    Please, make that necessary call to your GP or visit the A&E Dept of your local hospital, and start your journey back to good health.
    Doctors are wonderful people who will do their utmost to take great care of your health.
    Kindest Wishes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

sometimes you feel completely worthless.

efb wrote: »
    sometimes you feel completely worthless.

Yes, I can understand that feeling. Been there, not very pleasant, if fact horrible.
    However , where there is life , there is hope.
    All one can do is live in the Now! Live one day at a time.
    It is important to seek help from a GP to help alleviate negative thoughts like worthlessness.
    What have you done to seek help.
    Life is about you.
    You are precious and need to put yourself first.
    Don't allow yourself to get stuck in your own thoughts.
    It is time to be kind to yourself and get the necessary Professional advice in order to get your life back on track.
    Remember, you are worth it!
    Best wishes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

In the evenings I tend to dream, I'm acting away to myself, saying lines imagining myself on screen thinking it was what I was always born to do. I've always felt this way but never excuse-the-pun acted on it. When I wake up tomorrow I know it will be like a reset button has been pressed and I'll feel again like a slumped freak but some evenings I feel alive with possibility and even if I never do go through with it the idea keeps me relatively content for a short period of time.

My attitude now is what have I got to lose. I truly have nothing to lose now but in order to get into student college projects for film I'd have to have 'headshots' which to someone with Body Dysmorphic Disorder is kind of a big deal. I haven't glanced in a reflective surface for a week. My mam has been trying to get me to agree to photograph when I graduate college but I just can't. If I saw a picture of myself as I am now I would lose all mental discipline and strength and spiral out of control. I haven't seen a picture taken of me in about 4 years and the single picture that was taken my family knew to keep well away from me.

So that's where I'm at right now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There is an acting group called No Drama , born out of Boards and you dont need anything but a few bob in your pocket to join their (very fun and easy going) workshops. I think its about 20e a month! Twice a year they put on very professional theatre and its well worth looking into. Super bunch of people who will accept you for who you are. Trust me!

In the evenings I tend to dream, I'm acting away to myself, saying lines imagining myself on screen thinking it was what I was always born to do. I've always felt this way but never excuse-the-pun acted on it. When I wake up tomorrow I know it will be like a reset button has been pressed and I'll feel again like a slumped freak but some evenings I feel alive with possibility and even if I never do go through with it the idea keeps me relatively content for a short period of time.

My attitude now is what have I got to lose. I truly have nothing to lose now but in order to get into student college projects for film I'd have to have 'headshots' which to someone with Body Dysmorphic Disorder is kind of a big deal. I haven't glanced in a reflective surface for a week. My mam has been trying to get me to agree to photograph when I graduate college but I just can't. If I saw a picture of myself as I am now I would lose all mental discipline and strength and spiral out of control. I haven't seen a picture taken of me in about 4 years and the single picture that was taken my family knew to keep well away from me.

So that's where I'm at right now.

Jimmy,
    I like the idea of Devore's suggestion of No Drama acting group.
    Guess it is one worth following through. My bet is you have a lot of knowledge and skills to bring to this project.
    Having read your posts, it is obvious that you are a person who is intelligent and has a lot of personal qualities and values .
    None of us are perfect. The thing is to make the best use of whatever talents we have. You are correct you have nothing to lose but everything to gain. Go for it. College could be the break that you need.
    We only live once, it is easy to find a reason not to apply for a course, but I believe you have lots of reasons why you must apply for the course.
    Be life confident!
    Best wishes

Well folks, three in a row! Yes got another 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I feel like I have won the Triple Crown. I have set myself a target now of The Grand Slam.

Weather outside not that inviting, cold, damp windy. Sitting here in my dressing gown looking out the window viewing the sea.

It is time to borrow the dog again and force us both out to face the elements. So what the wind and drizzle will help wake me up and the walking is good for my mental and physical health.

When I home later, I Really need to tackle some correspondence which I have left aside for the last few weeks.

It sounds like a plan. Yeah I am going for it

Folks , have a good day!:)

Booked a break this morning- cheap Ryanair flight to BCN in Apr. leave this **** behind for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

no drink so far today, so thats a good start, actually I am feeling so ill right now I don't even want a drink. Went through the usual last night, awake from 1ish, untill I dragged myself out of bed half an hour ago, I am determined to beat this though, and am determined not to drink today

Thats a very good plan. :)

EFB, enjoy the holiday, you might find the sun actually makes a huge difference. All sorts of things like Vitamin D can affect mood. I'm beginning to realise that it affects me hugely too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Well done there Bench Press on not drinking today. If it kicks off again do head into A&E. It sounds very serious and you need to put yourself in the hands of professionals. Take care.

efb wrote: »
    Booked a break this morning- cheap Ryanair flight to BCN in Apr. leave this **** behind for a while.

Well done! The change of scenery will be wonderful. Leave all the negative stuff behind you . Spoil yourself, because you are worth it!:)

Wattle wrote: »
    Well done there Bench Press on not drinking today. If it kicks off again do head into A&E. It sounds very serious and you need to put yourself in the hands of professionals. Take care.

Well done indeed. This is your first step towards getting you health back on track. a visit to your GP or A&E would further speed up the process.
    If your car was running badly, I'm sure you would take it to a garage. You are more precious than any car so get the advice and support you need from a Medical professional. Take very good care of yourself.:)

Just back from walkies on the beach.(second trip today).
    Doggy in her bed now fast asleep.
    The wind was bracing as the waves were crashing on the beach.
    We investigated the bounty left on the beach after last nights storm.
    Sea glass, shells and stones of various colours, seaweed like copper and gold.
    The overhead telephone lines hummed in the breeze as the Brent Geese fed by the waters edge before they make their journey home for the summer.
    Wow it is great to be alive.!:)
    Folks, wrap up warm and get outdoors even for 30 mins. Let the wind blow through your hair and let the negative thoughts blow away with the wind.
    Treat yourselves to that half hour of living in The Now,because you are worth it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KiwiBanana

Hi all,
    Newbie here so sorry if this was already posted. I see that people sometimes ask for group support programmes like the AA but for mental health stuff...but maybe people didn't know about this one?

I think it's called "Recovery".I have never attended and know only a bit, but I know a couple of go to groups in Dublin and think it's great. Seems the whole ethos is based on a book called Mental Health through will training by Abraham Low (available on Amazon, etc.). They pick a section from the book every week and chat about it in reference to their own life, etc.
    They said people with panic, low self esteem, depression get a lot out of it - learn a lot from meeting people in the same situation, esp if they have not much money for 1-to 1 couneslling and all.
    Sorry I don't know more than that or whether it's any good but it might help someone. Maybe more information here:
    http://www.recovery-inc-ireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

There is an acting group called No Drama , born out of Boards and you dont need anything but a few bob in your pocket to join their (very fun and easy going) workshops. I think its about 20e a month! Twice a year they put on very professional theatre and its well worth looking into. Super bunch of people who will accept you for who you are. Trust me!

Ah yes I'm aware of these guys but haven't made the plunge as of yet. I kind of think I would be more suited to the screen but I am trying to get myself into a headspace to go to No Drama, if even just for the interaction in a non-judgemental space and to get a taste. My one worry is that my own neuroses cause me to feel alone and I freeze up and get disheartened about acting.
    One thing that has been wearing is the level of judgement in my group of friends of creative things. It is the only issue I don't agree with some of my friends on, I don't see the point in judging people for trying something and it would be cool to meet other people like that.

Jimmy,
    I like the idea of Devore's suggestion of No Drama acting group.
    Guess it is one worth following through. My bet is you have a lot of knowledge and skills to bring to this project.
    Having read your posts, it is obvious that you are a person who is intelligent and has a lot of personal qualities and values .
    None of us are perfect. The thing is to make the best use of whatever talents we have. You are correct you have nothing to lose but everything to gain. Go for it. College could be the break that you need.
    We only live once, it is easy to find a reason not to apply for a course, but I believe you have lots of reasons why you must apply for the course.
    Be life confident!
    Best wishes

Del thank you for the kind words, judging from your posts you are in an extremely similar mental environment to me and I always enjoy hearing your take on a day. Hints of a writer in there but I can tell you're not trying to do anything other than express what you know.

KiwiBanana wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Newbie here so sorry if this was already posted. I see that people sometimes ask for group support programmes like the AA but for mental health stuff...but maybe people didn't know about this one?

I think it's called "Recovery".I have never attended and know only a bit, but I know a couple of go to groups in Dublin and think it's great. Seems the whole ethos is based on a book called Mental Health through will training by Abraham Low (available on Amazon, etc.). They pick a section from the book every week and chat about it in reference to their own life, etc.
    They said people with panic, low self esteem, depression get a lot out of it - learn a lot from meeting people in the same situation, esp if they have not much money for 1-to 1 couneslling and all.
    Sorry I don't know more than that or whether it's any good but it might help someone. Maybe more information here:
    That website and the network of them behind it seems quite well crafted to sell Dr Low's books..... I hate to put anyone off going anywhere to talk and seek help but I have my suspicions about that website.

There's nothing a dog can't fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

KiwiBanana wrote: »
    Hi all,

That website and the network of them behind it seems quite well crafted to sell Dr Low's books..... I hate to put anyone off going anywhere to talk and seek help but I have my suspicions about that website.

You can get the books for free via your local library if you want to check them out - see http://borrowbooks.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

And for a less structured environment there is Aware meetings. They don't follow any particular book but there is Literature available and you are just allowed to say what you're feeling or talk about particular issues you are facing. The isolation part of depression can be a killer and it helps to break that. There's also monthly lectures in St Patricks hospital. Very good information for sufferers and relatives: www.aware.ie/

Advertisement