Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Question?

• 12-12-2011 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi guys went to look at car yesterday nct 2013 tax 2012 very clean drives great oh its a 2001 toyota corolla, did a cartell check on car and their records so the car had no tax or nct since 2005 could this be right?

Two owners on car + guy selling it only bought it in November and is now selling it.

I'm thinking i should run a mile what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Run away. 01 is ten years. This car should only be nct'd until 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

MugMugs wrote: »

What are you on about? I have a 2001 car with NCT up to Jan 2013.

Don't be giving advice when you don't know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭richfly

Gophur wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »

What are you on about? I have a 2001 car with NCT up to Jan 2013.

Don't be giving advice when you don't know what you are talking about.

New nct and tax is ok but how come the car has shown no nct or tax for six years previous? It's like it came out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Could have been garaged, or owned by a Granny. Ask for the history of the car, I bet you some old lady owned it, or perhaps some kid who emigrated. Plenty of reasons.

Edit:As in the old person died and was only sorted out recently, in case that didn't make sense.

barura wrote: »
    Could have been garaged, or owned by a Granny. Ask for the history of the car, I bet you some old lady owned it, or perhaps some kid who emigrated. Plenty of reasons.

Edit:As in the old person died and was only sorted out recently, in case that didn't make sense.

Do u think its a reason to walk away? Surely if it was running it would to be taxed and if it hadn't been running for past six years is that a bad thing its costing me 1500 and if has 78000 miles. It's alot of money only to buy a lemon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What do Cartell say to the discrepancy?

Anan1 wrote: »
    What do Cartell say to the discrepancy?
    Just it could be cloned or something about fraud or that it could have been of the road for this period.

richfly wrote: »
    Do u think its a reason to walk away? Surely if it was running it would to be taxed and if it hadn't been running for past six years is that a bad thing its costing me 1500 and if has 78000 miles. It's alot of money only to buy a lemon.
    I'd go for it if a cartell check said it was bobby, a mechanic looked it over and the price was right. I'd probably haggle down a little bit, or at least get 6 months tax and a full tank of petrol or something, but that's my own opinion.

By the looks of things, the dude who bought it only did so to fix it up. Ask him about the history of the car, I'm sure if you're interested he'd be happy to explain.

barura wrote: »
    I'd go for it if a cartell check said it was bobby, a mechanic looked it over and the price was right. I'd probably haggle down a little bit, or at least get 6 months tax and a full tank of petrol or something, but that's my own opinion.

By the looks of things, the dude who bought it only did so to fix it up. Ask him about the history of the car, I'm sure if you're interested he'd be happy to explain.

Well I suppose it is a corolla and not much goes wrong with them, but not running for six years that can't be good for engine can it.

Just it could be cloned or something about fraud or that it could have been of the road for this period.
    So cartell are certain that their records are correct, and that the discs currently on the car must therefore be forgeries?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Well I suppose it is a corolla and not much goes wrong with them, but not running for six years that can't be good for engine can it.

to a carolla, it'd be no bother......an engine oil flush n' new oil, filter etc, and away she'd go for another few decades.;)

So cartell are certain that their records are correct, and that the discs currently on the car must therefore be forgeries?

What's on it now is fine, that's what it said but off the road was the big thing.

What's on it now is fine, that's what it said but off the road was the big thing.
    Check the engine number on the tax book against the car, as well as the chassis number just to be sure then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I can assure you that you could locate another one that would make your purchase a lot easier on your mind.

So the car had no tax or NCT from 2005 until the current owner bought it in November? What explanation did the seller offer?

So the car had no tax or NCT from 2005 until the current owner bought it in November? What explanation did the seller offer?
    Didn't go for it in the end but thanks for help guys.

Advertisement