Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few arrival questions

Options
  • 12-12-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

After a few months enjoying myself in South East Asia, I am arriving in Sydney this coming weekend on a WHV so it's time to knuckle down and start sorting out all the things that I'll need to do before/when I arrive.

I have sorted accommodation for the first few weeks, and opened a bank account and Currencyfair account online - I'm just wondering about a few other things, if anyone can help...

1) Mobile network - is there any particular network that anyone would recommend, or are they all pretty much the same? I'll probably go prepaid to start off but might get a contract if I get settled with a job etc.

2) Mobile Broadband - I'd prefer to steer clear of mobile broadband given experiences in Ireland but beggars can't be choosers - I'll need something to do the job/house hunting! I've been looking online - Vodafone and Virgin seem to offer rolling 30 day contracts which would suit in the beginning - has anyone had good/bad experiences with either of these?

I'm going to work on the resumé and apply for my TFN online in the next couple of days so other than that if anyone has any other tips/advice for an Aussie newbie then I'd be happy to hear it. I don't really know what to do for Christmas/New Years but it'll be a novelty to have it somewhere that's (hopefully) warm and sunny!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

ok telstra are the best mobile network byfar but they are also the most expensive by far.

vodafone have had their problems in the past but seem to be finally getting themselves in order.

i am on the optus network and i am having call echo issues for the past few weeks, apparently thousands of people have left vodafone and joined optus which is causing issues as the network is overloaded.

so my personal reccomendation would be vodafone or if you wish to pay top dollar then go for telstra.

i cant help you with mobile BB as i dont use it.

also any important documents that you have , e.g. passport,tfn,driving licence etc , scan and email them to yourself , always handy to have digital copies of these things which can be accessed from almost anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

here is some detailed mobile info

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/114

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

RE: mobile broadband, crazy johns has a deal on from now until Xmas, u get a stick + 4gb of internet over 30 days for $24.50. its no contracts. should do you for a wee while. It operates on vodafone network so if ur in big city, its fine. I'm on it now

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at that forum and check out Crazy John's when I arrive! I think a 30 day contract would probably work best - if I move in somewhere with proper broadband in the new year I'll be able to cancel it quickly.

Advertisement