Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feed Bins Advice

• 12-12-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking into purchasing a feed bin at the moment. Rang around a few of the suppliers last week to get quotes etc. We had it in the head to get an 8tn split bin to store dairy nuts for the cows and beef nuts for followers however although most supply split bins I got the impression from them that there not a great success with restricted access for cleaning out etc. Couple of guys said they were prone to getting blocked and don't supply them.

As a result of the response with regards the split bin we are debating going for 2 4tn bins instead. There wasn't a huge variation in price a couple of hundred euro between the suppliers we rang.

Any advice on who have the best bins from your own expierence. I would prefer to spend the few quid extra if some of the bins are superior to others. We've no experience of having a feed bin and most of the lads around us seem to have different types.

I'm in Limerick by the way. Thank in advance for any pointers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

Talk to Spirofeed in Mallow. We have 2 of their bins for the chicken house. A 12 tonne and a 10 tonne. The 12 tonne bin was put up in 1993 and is still in perfect condition. We were very happy with them to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Have three Spirofeed bins, 4ton, 8ton and 12ton with auger. Not the cheapest but can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Galloways4life

We've a 5 1/2 tonne bin bought from P.E services bout 3 years.....grand bin....and fair bit cheaper than alternatives!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

two bins is the best way to go. the best ones are smooth inside so ration doesnt stick. feed doesnt tend to sweat in fibre glass ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

PN14 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Looking into purchasing a feed bin at the moment. Rang around a few of the suppliers last week to get quotes etc. We had it in the head to get an 8tn split bin to store dairy nuts for the cows and beef nuts for followers however although most supply split bins I got the impression from them that there not a great success with restricted access for cleaning out etc. Couple of guys said they were prone to getting blocked and don't supply them.

As a result of the response with regards the split bin we are debating going for 2 4tn bins instead. There wasn't a huge variation in price a couple of hundred euro between the suppliers we rang.

Any advice on who have the best bins from your own expierence. I would prefer to spend the few quid extra if some of the bins are superior to others. We've no experience of having a feed bin and most of the lads around us seem to have different types.

I'm in Limerick by the way. Thank in advance for any pointers
    I have a split bin 20yrs VMAC silo.never blocked once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

I have a split bin 20yrs VMAC silo.never blocked once.

+1 here weve a 16split and a 16standard both great nd never block

they tend only to block if theres too much molasses in the mix

005erjn.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us006klt.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mayowillie

Am also interested in purchasing a 4 tonne meal bin - anyone have an idea how much I could expect to pay for one of these pls and thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Thanks for info lads. Interesting about the split bins from asking around there seems to be an almost 50/50 split for & against.

From quotes I've got for 4tn size the average is around 1,850 incl vat. Some a good bit above this but most are around this price.

Anyone know are there restrictions in terms of where you position the bins i.e. do they have to be a minimum distance from the dairy etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

we were the same boat about 10 years ago and went looking at pricing them up were in the process of adding up the costs and working out the pay back when we got a tip off about the demolaition of a factory that was felling its feed mixing plant. got one of the large hopper bins and some of the steel work that was holding it up. the hopper was in perfect contition with a bit of patching up needed after it was cut out. used the scrap steel to make a frame around it to hold in place and split it into two. the bin could orginnaly hold about 15 ton of grain. we cut the top off to make it smaller (makes it less top heavy) but it'll still hold about 9 ton. we usually only put in about 3.5 ton into either side. the price of the hopper and steel work and puttign it all togeher and putting it up cost a fraction of a new one. as the hopper is funnel shaped we havent had any issues with blocking and its made of good thick steel so not problems with it buckling.

Advertisement