Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink prices Limerick Pubs

• 12-12-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

A group of us were in Peter Clohessy's for the Munster match Saturday and a bottle of Heineken was €5 and a pint of guinness was €4.60 :eek:.

What are the prices like elsewhere as I thought these were fairly steep (I don't get out much!!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

That's a shocking price for Guinness. On average expect to pay around €4 for Guinness €4.50 for a pint of lager €4.60 for a long neck and €5 for a pint bottle of cider. Spirits are around €4 for vodka/whiskey €4.20 for others. Splits (coke etc.) €2.50 and baby's (tonic/soda water) €2.

I'm sure there are places cheaper or more expensive than this but this is just what's around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

where are you getting a pint of guinness for €4? usually all i drink is guinness and it averages aroynd the €4.50 mark, €5 for a bottle of bud in the icon... €5.50 for a guinness in dublin, €7 for a bud... :eek:

EDIT: guiness in clohessys- the river water across the road tastes better! head down to o connells, much much nicer! there's a thread on it somewhere on this forum, best pint of guinness in limerick... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

Well where I work and a few of the bars I drink in (city centre) are €4. Yes you are always going to pay more in a nightclub. Just out of interest do you drink Guinness in the nightclub? How do you find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

xsiborg wrote: »
    where are you getting a pint of guinness for €4? usually all i drink is guinness and it averages aroynd the €4.50 mark, €5 for a bottle of bud in the icon... €5.50 for a guinness in dublin, €7 for a bud... :eek:

EDIT: guiness in clohessys- the river water across the road tastes better! head down to o connells, much much nicer! there's a thread on it somewhere on this forum, best pint of guinness in limerick... ;)

Guinness isn't €5.50 in dublin, unless you're in one of the 2 biggest tourist traps in Temple Bar, or in a hotel.

€3.75 outside of the city in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's expensive alright. Most bars in Sligo do a Guinness for €4. In fact a few do it for €3.80. Maybe it was because the big match was on.

• Advertisement

adaminho wrote: »
    Well where I work and a few of the bars I drink in (city centre) are €4. Yes you are always going to pay more in a nightclub. Just out of interest do you drink Guinness in the nightclub? How do you find it?

eesh, i learned the hard way years ago that its nigh on impossible to drink any form of a pint in the nightclub without it being spilled all over oneself, ah we're talking back in the days of the friday night 80's in the george here, lol, but no, that's why i drink bud in a bottle nowadays on the rare occasion i do have time to get out to go to a club... :D

but i know what you mean, guinness in a club never tastes good... :(

Staplor wrote: »
    Guinness isn't €5.50 in dublin, unless you're in one of the 2 biggest tourist traps in Temple Bar, or in a hotel.

€3.75 outside of the city in Limerick.

i suppose i should have mentioned that, yep, jurys croke park, oh and on that actually, i learned too not to bother with the guinness on a match day: friday pint of guinness with my dinner was perfect, saturday - perfect, sunday, place was packed- handed a flat guinness in a plastic tumbler, tasted like muck! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

The Ardhu is about €4.20 for a Guinness, the likes of Bobbys, Flannerys, Fennessys, and a few of the older pubs have it for €4. I'd have thought €4 to €4.20 was the going price in town, I can't remember ever being charged €4.50 in town to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

L.T.P. wrote: »
    A group of us were in Peter Clohessy's for the Munster match Saturday and a bottle of Heineken was €5 and a pint of guinness was €4.60 :eek:.

What are the prices like elsewhere as I thought these were fairly steep (I don't get out much!!)

As mentioned allready from 4 to 4.20. Havent darkened Clohessys door for a number of years because of the cost of drink there (even minerals).

I guess something has to pay for the bouncers standing outside an empty bar 5 nights a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

i suppose i should have mentioned that, yep, jurys croke park, oh and on that actually, i learned too not to bother with the guinness on a match day: friday pint of guinness with my dinner was perfect, saturday - perfect, sunday, place was packed- handed a flat guinness in a plastic tumbler, tasted like muck! :(

Guinness just doesn't work in plastic glasses, or in glasses that are fresh out of a dishwasher and still a bit wet.

• Advertisement

Flincher wrote: »
    The Ardhu is about €4.20 for a Guinness, the likes of Bobbys, Flannerys, Fennessys, and a few of the older pubs have it for €4. I'd have thought €4 to €4.20 was the going price in town, I can't remember ever being charged €4.50 in town to be honest.

ahh right, i wouldnt normally be in any of them pubs, my usual night would consist of smyths then icon, or more recently o connells for the pub quiz (altho i havent been to one in a while! oh, pints are only €3 on them nights!), then icon for a bit of relaxation (cant dance for sh...ugar, lol :o), and then if i fancy a quiet one after work i'll head over to the clarion for a few guinness followed by a brandy nightcap... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Clohessys is probably the most expensive bar in town. €5 for a bottle of bud. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Oak1000

Pub prices are still mental despite the recession. The off licence is the only way to go but that may change in the New Year if Roisin Shorthall gets her way. She thinks we can't be trusted to drink sensibly, my local Off Licence it's a Next Door (won't say where) is running a competition where you can win all your Xmas Drink for "Free" if you like them on facebook - Roisin is going to love that !! ha, - best of luck to them, bloody Nanny State - what''s next - curfews and compulsory mass on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

€4 in Fennesseys, the Windmill and close to that in Mickeys.....

Off topic, but the cost of a 'large' (normal sized mug) coffee in o'connell's is €2.80.....That is just extortionate

€1.50 for a tea in Mickeys and if you are lucky free biscuits/cake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

While comparing the price of the pint, it would also be worth noting the actual liquid measure one gets too.

It’s practically impossible to get a full liquid pint measure in a traditional Irish pint-to-brim glass.

The wider the diameter of the top of the glass the less you get.

Any pubs in town sell their beers in pint-to-line glasses instead of the pint-to-brim ones?

Ah come on in fairness now...:rolleyes:

If you are served a pint of Guinness with a “Bishop’s Collar” for € 4.50, then you could be getting as less as 90% in your glass.

Which would make the effective price of that pint at € 5.00. Sláinte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

serious, would you accept a pint of guinness with a bishops collar, no one does

Not in a pint-to-brim glass, but I would have no problem with a “Bishop’s Collar” in a pint-to-line glass and the head must of course be above the line.

guinness_pint_mittel.JPG

I would say the image above would represent a typically pint served in a pub.

Since the black stuff is the liquid part, it’s clear to see that it falls a good centimetre short of a pint measure.

In my opinion your average beer drinker is short changed by the publican by 25 - 50 cents per pint all through his drinking life.

• Advertisement

Not in a pint-to-brim glass, but I would have no problem with a “Bishop’s Collar” in a pint-to-line glass and the head must of course be above the line.

guinness_pint_mittel.JPG

Since the black stuff is the liquid part, it’s clear to see that it falls a good centimetre short of a pint measure.

In my opinion your average beer drinker is short changed by the publican by 25 - 50 cents per pint all through his drinking life.

you cannot be serious, sure the white stuff is part of the pint and its what makes the pint, if thats the case would you drink it without the head, i wouldnt,

That is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet all week.

skyguy19 wrote: »
    you cannot be serious, sure the white stuff is part of the pint and its what makes the pint, if thats the case would you drink it without the head, i wouldnt,

I think I have to explain to you the difference between the two glasses.

A pint-to-line glass is about 1 – 2 Centimetres taller than a standard Irish pint glass (i.e. a larger glass).

Or in other words the liquid point-line is marked 1 – 2 Centimetres below the brim of the glass

That means the creamy head (froth) floats above the pint-line and within the glass.

I could upload an example latter if you want.
    RonMexico wrote: »
    That is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet all week.

Check this internet article for a Full Pints Campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

guinness_pint_mittel.JPG

So people should drink pint bottles of cider then as there is no head.

Edit meant to say pints of draught cider

I think I have to explain to you the difference between the two glasses.

A pint-to-line glass is about 1 – 2 Centimetres taller than a standard Irish pint glass (i.e. a larger glass).

Or in other words the liquid point-line is marked 1 – 2 Centimetres below the brim of the glass

That means the creamy head (froth) floats above the pint-line and within the glass.

I could upload an example latter if you want.

Check this internet article for a Full Pints Campaign.

do upload an example so that I can see what you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Suppose thats the price one has to pay for drinking in a "sports mad city" or some load of bull like that.!!
    You should be paid €4.60 for drinking a guinness in that place. And have to listen to a <mod snip>talking about rugby to make it worse.

do upload an example so that I can see what you mean

I have no stout in the house to fill the glass, but I think you will see for yourself what I mean.

I see what you mean now but tbh Ive never seen a pint glass like that in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

There was a guy from UL telling me in TCs last night that he's working on a new theory for his masters that the price of the pint is inversly proportional to the quality of the pub and the average IQ of the clientelle.

• Advertisement

I see what you mean now but tbh Ive never seen a pint glass like that in a pub.

I have never seen them in Limerick either.

Actually I got the glass in an Irish Pub in Germany a few years back.

They apparently don’t let anybody pull the wool over the eyes of their paying customers regarding measures, metric or imperial.

I read an interesting question on another website where they asked, do publicans sell you a pint of beer or a beer in a pint glass?

Advertisement