Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen frozen on inside???

• 12-12-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

This is a new one on me. I know it was cold this morning, but after scraping my windscreen for a while, I found I still couldn't see through it. to my surprise, I discovered that the inside of the windscreen was also frozen. It took about 10mins of heater on it, and some scraping before I could see.

I've never had this before. None of the windows were open or anything, and it wasn't any colder than most winters really. I'm really not sure how it could have happened, for the inside to get wet and then be frozen points at some issue with the windscreen itself really, I'm guessing? Does this sound like a problem I can get fixed at the local garage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Have any adventures in the floods? Moisture from that would take a while to go away in our weather if it got into your car...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

You may have a leak through your windscreen. Bad condensation in older cars used to suffer a lot with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

No, no floods in my part of the country (a couple of large puddles is about the worst :)).

The leak in the windscreen is the most likely, I'm guessing I'd need someone to find the leak and either plug it, or fit a whole new windscreen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is your heating set to recirculate or bring in fresh air? I have to set mine to recirculate in the evening before I get out of the car otherwise damp air (our area is really damp) will get in over night and freeze on the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The leak wouldn't have to be in the windscreen. Basically just more moisture in the car in general could lead to it. Happened me once or twice last winter too, I wouldn't worry too much unless it becomes a regular occurance. Even something like a hot cup of coffee in teh car could increase the moisture level inside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Reminds me of my Air Cooled VW Beetle days! It was like climbing into a freezer on wheels in cold weather, but absolutely brilliant in the snow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭finfinfin

check the doors.the rubber bit the cushions the door from the car when you close the door.I had a hole in the passenger side one last year and I never knew it.icy inside every morning til I discovered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

tk123 wrote: »
    Is your heating set to recirculate or bring in fresh air? I have to set mine to recirculate in the evening before I get out of the car otherwise damp air (our area is really damp) will get in over night and freeze on the inside.

tk, I set it to recirculate when I first get in the car just to heat things up faster, as soon as I start driving though, I set it to fresh. And it would remain fresh until I finish my journey. How long do you recriculate for in the evenings before getting out? Are we talking minutes here - if I turn it on for the last 5 miles of my journey or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

corblimey wrote: »
    My farts are mental today
    QUOTE]

I have the same problem. 06 BMW so its getting on in years. just scrape the inside window too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

you basically have consendation inside the car - water getting in somewhere, and then freezing.

check for wet carpets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

I think he means to just change it to the the re-circulating setting when parking up and getting out of the car. Just to stop damp and cold air travelling into the car via the vents when your not using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    I have the same problem. 06 BMW so its getting on in years. just scrape the inside window too!
    ?? 2006 is only five years old. Use your aircon to keep the inside of the car dry.

Anan1 wrote: »
    ?? 2006 is only five years old. Use your aircon to keep the inside of the car dry.

I do that when the car is running. It dosent operate when car is not running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

BMW's are notorious for leaking door seals....check for wet carpet in the footwells

Just had mine re-done on the 5 series. It was leaking badly

In that case you probably have a leak.

Can you advise please on how to turn on air con overnight to avoid this?

Can you advise please on how to turn on air con overnight to avoid this?
    The idea is to use the a/c when driving, so that the interior is dry when you leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

brembo26 wrote: »
    I think he means to just change it to the the re-circulating setting when parking up and getting out of the car. Just to stop damp and cold air travelling into the car via the vents when your not using it.

Yep that's what I do - just hit the button when I park up. I'm a she btw! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yep that's what I do - just hit the button when I park up. I'm a she btw! ;)

The penny drops.

You effectively block out intake when parking.

I like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

I'm a she btw! ;)

My sincere apologies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement