Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

200,000 Miles

• 12-12-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

...on an Alfa 1.9mJTD.

Yes it is possible! No major work.... oil/filters/timing belt and other expected service items plus:
    1. Chutch changed once (car is remapped). DMF still original.
    2. 1 Engine mount replaced
    3. Front roll bar replaced
    4. Front lower Wishbones chaged twice
    5. Front upper Wishbones changed twice
    6. Both inner CV's changed (spindle & cup)
    7. No rear suspension work
    8. Battery replaced once
    9. EGR cleaned twice but never needed replacing.
    10. Upper and lower turbo hoses (& vacume pipes) replaced.

See Pic here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They're more reliable then people give them credit for. Mine hasn't broken down once in just over two weeks. Well it has, but that was my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Shock horror - modern diesel car reaches 200k miles.

Tbh, if it was looked after it should be reaching that at least, regardless of badge on the front. Nice to see it on an Alfa though as it really helps dispell the old tales of woe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

it has still had some work done that others may not have needed, i've got an 05 pajero with just over 200,000 miles and it's had nothing other than regular service, discs, and a front wheel bearing, and this is used for work not farting about on the road,

i think most cars should get away without doing wishbones and turbo pipes before 200,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

db330 wrote: »
    i think most cars should get away without doing wishbones... before 200,000

Not on an Alfa. Worst part of the design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Its a shock for Ireland alright....it happens thousands of times every day in mainland europe though...

Fiat/alfa diesels are amongst the most reliable around at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Its a shock for Ireland alright....it happens thousands of times every day in mainland europe though...

Fiat/alfa diesels are amongst the most reliable around at the moment.

...., inside every Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid and Opel Cdti........there's a heart of a FIAT.

Passat owners take note : :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

db330 wrote: »
    it has still had some work done that others may not have needed, i've got an 05 pajero with just over 200,000 miles and it's had nothing other than regular service, discs, and a front wheel bearing, and this is used for work not farting about on the road,

i think most cars should get away without doing wishbones and turbo pipes before 200,000

tbh the fact that its remapped and up 30odd bhp and 60 lbft torque I'm happy to expect new CV joints and clutch over 200,000 miles. Also, there is a lot of extra pressure on turbo pipes with the remap, so again, not a big suprise really.

It's also been pushed hard on many occasions so I'm not sure I'd agree with "farting about on the road" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

BuzzFish wrote: »
    ...on an Alfa 1.9mJTD.

Yes it is possible! No major work.... oil/filters/timing belt and other expected service items plus:
    1. No rear suspension work

See Pic here

If we're talking a 147/156/GT then either the car led the most charmed of lives or I call shenanigans. There's now way any of the transverse arms or the bushes at the strut to hub carrier joint survived that mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If we're talking a 147/156/GT then either the car led the most charmed of lives or I call shenanigans. There's now way any of the transverse arms or the bushes at the strut to hub carrier joint survived that mileage.

The rear suspension isn't as much of a problem on the 147/156. It's more the front suspension parts that tend to fail early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

As others have said 200k is nothing on any diesel, my own 05 vag is hitting 155k with no work except services! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement