Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunger Strike in Castlebar

Options
  • 12-12-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

There is currently a hunger strke on going in Castlebar outside Enda Kenny's constitutency office.
    There are two involved, a husband and wife. It relates to the rejection of visas for their adopted children in Turkey.
    They are "good to go" from a Turkish point of view but the Irish government has refused them visas.
    They girls who are 7 and 10 have spent the last two years in an orphange. The adoptive parents, both Irish citizens are originally uncle and aunt-in-law.
    They have family in Turkey however everyone, except the two involved in the strike have refused to look after them.
    What are people thoughts on this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

if they don't fit the visa criteria then why the hunger strike?

should we all go on hunger strike if we don't get what we want?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dunny5000

paky wrote: »
    if they don't fit the visa criteria then why the hunger strike?

should we all go on hunger strike if we don't get what we want?

No the protesters are citizens. One is from Sligo the other emmigrated here and now has itizenship. The children havee been legally adopted but they can't get a visa becuase there is a technicality with Irish law.
    You hardly think leaving two little girls in a orphanage for two years is okay becuase of a technicality do you? Especially when there are two people only too willing to raise them here, and they are family after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Dunny5000 wrote: »
    No the protesters are citizens. One is from Sligo the other emmigrated here and now has itizenship. The children havee been legally adopted but they can't get a visa becuase there is a technicality with Irish law.
    You hardly think leaving two little girls in a orphanage for two years is okay becuase of a technicality do you? Especially when there are two people only too willing to raise them here, and they are family after all.

There's always a technicality with Irish law .... years ago a brown envelope stuffed with cash ... sorted these technicalities.

Don't know what the modern solution is ... probably a long and protracted legal battle so the ordinary punter has to pay hundreds of thousands ...go as far as the european courts ... just so the government can waste money on barristers/legal dept.

Are the couple tied into Ireland ... can they move elsewhere and set up their family there ? or will they be claiming benefits for the children once they enter the state ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Link to the story.

Not much detail.....

Sligo couple protest outside Kenny's office over visas

Monday, December 12, 2011 - 10:39 AM

"A Sligo woman and her husband are staging a hunger strike outside Enda Kenny's constituency office in Castlebar, in Co. Mayo.

It is an attempt to get visas for their now adopted children in Turkey so they can live with them in Ireland.

The couple became the legal guardians of the girls, who are their nieces, two years ago, after their mother died.

However, the Irish authorities have so far refused their visa application, saying more documentation is required.

Ann Dugan, who is staging the hunger strike with her husband, has said she desperately wants to get the little girls to Ireland for Christmas."

Time would be better spent in supplying/chasing the 'documentation' than hunger striking surely.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    There's always a technicality with Irish law .... years ago a brown envelope stuffed with cash ... sorted these technicalities.

Don't know what the modern solution is ... probably a long and protracted legal battle so the ordinary punter has to pay hundreds of thousands ...go as far as the european courts ... just so the government can waste money on barristers/legal dept.

Are the couple tied into Ireland ... can they move elsewhere and set up their family there ? or will they be claiming benefits for the children once they enter the state ?

Yes they are tied into Ireland they both work and contribute to the revenue if thats what you are wondering. They won't be claiming any benefits that the average Irish citizen wouldn't. They are not looking for a free ride or special treatment. As a matter of fact they are currently looking for an emergency visa so the children can be here while they sort everything out.
    They are not asking for th moon you might say!

• Advertisement

RichT wrote: »
    Link to the story.

Time would be better spent in supplying/chasing the 'documentation' than hunger striking surely.

I imagine they have thought of that alreday. This didn't happen over the weekend. Its on going for the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

As I said earlier, details are limited so we are all left to speculate, however an application cannot be processed (be it for bank account, driving licence, Visa etc......) untill all required documentation is recieved. Whatever that may be?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dunny500 - what is your link to the 2 people?

yop wrote: »
    Dunny500 - what is your link to the 2 people?
    Relatives

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Relatives

Ok thanks.

I will ask you not to turn the thread into a "campaign" and to take others views on board, it maybe hard to be objective when you are emotionally involved.

Its a terrible situation that they are in, but you are going to get various views on here.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Ok thanks.

I will ask you not to turn the thread into a "campaign" and to take others views on board, it maybe hard to be objective when you are emotionally involved.

Its a terrible situation that they are in, but you are going to get various views on here.

Thanks
    With all due respect I asked what people thought. Not for statements of solidarity or support. People will agree or disagree.
    Having said that I have my own opinions and if someone is willing to make a counter argument thats fine but be prepared to back it up.

Ok thanks.

Thanks

Though I don't plan on getting agressive if thats what you are wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's sad that people have to resort to this kind of protest but I'd be hopeful that now the spotlight is on them, it'll get sorted quickly. I think these kind of things crop up, not because of malice or ill will but because they're just cogs in a pretty broken burocratatic system.

It's said that people have to resort to this kind of protest but I'd be hopeful that now the spotlight is on them, it'll get sorted quickly. I think these kind of things crop up, not because of malice or ill will but because they're just cogs in a pretty broken buroctatic system.
    Too true. I genuinely don't believe that there is any "negative" reasons behind the decision but it can be a little too easy to forget the human factor on top of all that paper work!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well if there's a public out cry over this I reckon it will be sorted quickly. Its a crap situation to be sure.

Otherwise like RichT said, if more documentation is all thats needed why not do that? I'm just curious. I know how frustrating all the red tape can be for what should be straight forward common sense procedures sometimes.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well if there's a public out cry over this I reckon it will be sorted quickly. Its a crap situation to be sure.

Otherwise like RichT said, if more documentation is all thats needed why not do that? I'm just curious. I know how frustrating all the red tape can be for what should be straight forward common sense procedures sometimes.

OP - What outstanding documents are there and why haven't they been completed? As said by a number of people on here if they get the documents sorted out then they can take the children into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Enda Kenny has a lot to do. If these people want to protest they should do it outside one of the state offices involvec.

In my view it is antidemocratic to beset a public representatives office.

Same applies to a Shell to Sea protest there some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Go visit him at his house that way you'll get him at one stage or another!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Fair play to them.

The smell from the restaurants on tucker street will make it tough going though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

If everyone with a problem comes on here looking for other peoples opinions, then when the opinion is given and not taken on board, I don't see what else can be done. By all means go on hunger strike, but have the manners to get all documentation in order as requested, before trying to pull the heartstrings of some teary eyed irish people. There are rules and regulations, obey them, carry out what has to be done, then wait for legal decisions, like other irish citizens do. It's not the fault of irish people, or the irish goverment, that these children and hundreds of thousands of other children are in orphanages, or whereever. You and the protesters would do well to remember that and stop the snivelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Surely the Irish embassy would be a better place to take their picket? I have an adopted nephew and realise the technicalities involved, but I don't think that hunger strike is the way to go. The majority of people in this country are experiencing some very tough times, and while I sympathise with the situation, the whole country could be out on strike but the best solution is to knuckle down and get on with things and work harder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What's the difference between going on hunger strike and the passports for sale scheme that operated under CJH? The difference is the have's and the have nots, IMHO.

A different time maybe but these people are entitled to make their point, though outside the dail or the relevant department might be more appropriate.

headmaster wrote: »
    If everyone with a problem comes on here looking for other peoples opinions, then when the opinion is given and not taken on board, I don't see what else can be done. By all means go on hunger strike, but have the manners to get all documentation in order as requested, before trying to pull the heartstrings of some teary eyed irish people. There are rules and regulations, obey them, carry out what has to be done, then wait for legal decisions, like other irish citizens do. It's not the fault of irish people, or the irish goverment, that these children and hundreds of thousands of other children are in orphanages, or whereever. You and the protesters would do well to remember that and stop the snivelling.

There is no problem with documentation it was all submitted. Why don't you clarify facts before making assumptions. This absolutely is the fault of the Irish government. They advised us to adopt the children in turkey to speed up the process. Now they told us that the children are not allowed to come over here at all. It could take years before the children are allowed to come here. If we follow the proper channels then we are more likely to get them visas as adults.
    This has been on going for two years already. Please don't tell me to use the proper channels when that is what we having been doing all along.
    How many legal guardians in this country have there children in orphanages thousands of miles away? Be honest now how many?
    We have done nothing but go by the books and it has got us nothing, absolutely nothing.

Rules were obeyed and procedures followed after which were told tough titty.

I will re-iterate that this is completely the fault of the Irish government. You would do well to ensure you know what you are talking about before making statements devoid of humanity.

Its okay though I'll send a text to the girls and let them know that its okay they are in an orphanage for the last two years and likely the next two because, even though they have parents trying their best to get them out, there are other children in orphanages and they should stop sniveling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

You asked for opinions, you got mine. What's the rant all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The government advised your relatives to adopt and then the same government now refuse or want more documentation? What department?
    Have the guardians cleared everything with the Adoption Authority of Ireland?

There is no problem with documentation it was all submitted. Why don't you clarify facts before making assumptions. This absolutely is the fault of the Irish government. They advised us to adopt the children in turkey to speed up the process. Now they told us that the children are not allowed to come over here at all. It could take years before the children are allowed to come here. If we follow the proper channels then we are more likely to get them visas as adults.
    This has been on going for two years already. Please don't tell me to use the proper channels when that is what we having been doing all along.
    How many legal guardians in this country have there children in orphanages thousands of miles away? Be honest now how many?
    We have done nothing but go by the books and it has got us nothing, absolutely nothing.

Rules were obeyed and procedures followed after which were told tough titty.

I will re-iterate that this is completely the fault of the Irish government. You would do well to ensure you know what you are talking about before making statements devoid of humanity.

Its okay though I'll send a text to the girls and let them know that its okay they are in an orphanage for the last two years and likely the next two because, even though they have parents trying their best to get them out, there are other children in orphanages and they should stop sniveling.

I warned you already about separation of the argument and the family tie, you have ranted once and aren't taken on board others view.
    With this I think the point has been made and you can pass on the opinions to your relatives.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement