Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the plan for Christmas?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

So I'm interested to hear what you'll all be cooking this Christmas! I'd love some of your ideas.

My mother in law does the cooking on Christmas day (and is very protective of her kitchen so none of the rest of us will be getting involved!), but we're having 12 people over on Christmas eve, so I'm planning a buffet dinner.

On the menu will be:

A leg of lamb, roasted with lots of garlic
    A large ham, boiled, glazed and baked - I think a port and redcurrant glaze is in order given the season
    Crunchy green salad
    German potato salad
    Home-made coleslaw
    Devilled eggs
    A big basket of freshly baked bread
    Lots of relishes, pickles and chutneys

Dessert will be a spicy seasonal almond cake with a mascarpone and rum cream, and maybe some home-made truffles.

So - what delights are you planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

I will be spending Christmas Eve with my bf and his family. He is cooking up an Indian feast!...a few different curries and lots of home made chutney :D

Then Christmas Day back at home myself and my sister are incharge of the dinner. We dont particularly fancy turkey in my house, plus the oven is never big enough!! :mad: so we have taken a recipe plan i got to sample on a trip to Ballymaloe last year :) it includes:

Roast loin of pork
    Bramly apple sauce and sage and onion stuffing
    Roast potatoes
    Mash potato
    Carrot and parsnip puree
    Braised red cabbage
    Gravy
    And of unfortunatly I have to include sprouts :rolleyes:

Then for dessert there will be:

Irish cream tiramisu
    Pavlova
    Trifle
    Pudding
    Christmas cake
    Home made fudge and rocky roads
    And of course the obligitory selection boxes and tin of chocolates :o

I wont be able to move on Stevens Day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I wont be able to move on Stevens Day :eek:
    Which gives you plenty of time to do it all over again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My mother does all the cooking for Christmas, I help out a bit when we're getting it ready on Christmas Eve to transport to my Grandad's house on Christmas Day, but she's the best at it so we generally leave her to it, unless she specifically gives us a job to do.

We'll be munching on her chocolate Baileys truffles and homemade mince pies in the run up to Christmas Day, then on the day we'll have:

Seafood cocktail, with salmon, prawns and crab claws, with her lovely Marie Rose sauce and chopped Iceberg lettuce, DELISH!
    Turkey, done to perfection, with some bacon latticed over it
    Ham
    Fluffy mash potatoes
    Roast potatoes
    Carrots
    Marrowfat peas
    Brussel sprouts (which I love, when cooked properly the are lovely, it's when the are overcooked that they smell and taste like farts)
    Lashings of gravy
    Bread sauce (bleurgh, I avoid it like the plague)
    Cranberry sauce
    Homemade bread stuffing with thyme and rosemary from the garden

Then for dessert we'll have:
    Homemade pudding with brandy custard
    Trifle with homemade swiss roll (my FAVOURITE part of the day)
    Passionfruit cheesecake
    Homemade Christmas cake

Later on we'll have tea, the tin of roses, ham sammiches, and mince pies.

Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

This year is going to be a little different in our house, my OH is in charge of all the cooking, so we've shared everything out amongst the kids...

Lunch is spiced beef on brown bread, with philidelphia and relish, plenty of rocket and tasty tomatoes

In between lunch and dinner one brother is doing some sort of shark and beetroot amuse bouche..

Starter is foie gras with fig jam on brioche (another brother)
    Main is roast leg of lamb
    Roast potatoes
    Roast carrot, parsnip, beetroot
    Brussel sprouts tossed in butter and pancetta
    some homemade lamb gravy.

Dessert is going to be baked pumpkin cheesecake with a pecan crust and caramel whiskey topping.
    If that wasn't enough I'm also making some arabic biscuits called Mamoul, soooo delicious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We'll have the daughters home for Christmas dinner and also the husband's sisters so there'll be 7 of us. When they arrive we'll have poinsettia cocktails (Prosecco, Cointreau and cranberry juice) and something nibbly involving smoked salmon, also cheese and pickled onions.

Whole baked ham
    Marinated loin of pork
    Stuffing
    Carrot and parsnip mash
    Brussels sprouts
    Baby potatoes tossed in garlic and onion butter (for a change from roasties)
    Home made tiramisu
    Home made white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake

We'll have more visitors joining us in the evening so we'll have a buffet of cold meats, salad etc and the daughters will make extra nibbles like bhajis, cocktail sausages, cream cheese wrapped in tiny slices of salami.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Christmas Eve tea will be a light pick 'n' mix affair consisting of:
    Glühwein (for the sake of handiness this will be Lidl's glühwein with a few 'extras' thrown in) to start
    Cheese, fruits & nuts with quince jelly & crackers
    Sundry nibbles (breadsticks, crudites, etc) & dips
    Stollen
    Port

Breakfast will be in Nana Billy's & this will most likely include:
    Spiced beef
    Smoked salmon
    (both served on brown bread)
    Gin & tonics

For dinner back in my place I will be doing (while having the obligatory finger or three of sherry):
    Roast turkey with giblet gravy (very similar to this one)
    Boiled & baked ham
    Roast spuds with garlic & thyme
    Roast veg - carrots & parsnips drizzled with honey & butturnut squash spiced with cumin & coriander
    Steamed brussel sprouts
    I haven't decided on wine yet, but I'm fancying a big Barolo.

For dessert Mrs Billy will be doing baked cheesecake & Christmas-cakey cupcakes for the kids. If we are lucky, Nana Billy may make us one of her famous boozy trifles.

Afterwards - a caffè corretto made with Grappa Ticino.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I will be brining my turkey overnight. Always have and always will and amazed how few people do it as it makes such a huge difference. Turkey will be beautifully tender and moist and seasoned perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I will be brining my turkey overnight. Always have and always will and amazed how few people do it as it makes such a huge difference. Turkey will be beautifully tender and moist and seasoned perfectly.

Second that. Brining really helps a turkey.

Xmas Eve I'm cooking an indian dinner - I'm thinking naan bread, lemon rice, Lamb and Spinach Karahi and maybe Tandoori Chicken. I made some mango chutney this year so we'll have some of that too.

Dessert will be NY-style baked cheesecake and something chocolate, I'll get the gf to make that.

Xmas Day - I'll be helping the parents. We have 9 people in total. I'm making butternut squash soup to start followed by the dinner which consists of -

Turkey Crown
    Boned & Rolled & Stuffed Turkey Legs (1 with sausage meat, 1 with bread stuffing)
    Baked & Glazed Ham
    Mashed Potatoes
    Roast Potatoes
    Carrot & Parsnip Puree
    Sprouts with bacon
    Braised Red Cabbage
    Bread Sauce
    Stuffing
    Giblet Gravy
    Cranberry Sauce

Dessert will be selection of Xmas cake, pudding, sherry trifle and bread and butter pudding which we make with pannetone.

I can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

trackguy wrote: »

Dessert will be selection of Xmas cake, pudding, sherry trifle and bread and butter pudding which we make with pannetone.

I can't wait :D

I take it you don't make the pannetone yourself?

If not what one do you usually go for and where do you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

ntlbell wrote: »
    I take it you don't make the pannetone yourself?

If not what one do you usually go for and where do you buy it?

I was up in Belfast a few weeks ago and bought one a chocolate chip one in Sainsburys.

I bought a Pandoro last year and that worked really well too.

There's something about the texture that makes it nicer than normal bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was up in Belfast a few weeks ago and bought one a chocolate chip one in Sainsburys.

You can also buy panettone in Aldi - I'm not sure what size they usually are but the one we got (a gift) was like a giant cupcake size!

As for the food in our house at Christmas:

Christmas Eve: we usually get a takeaway - Hillbillies fried chicken (!) or actually the number of people that have mentioned Indian makes me want to get an indian but my family aren't really into indian food!

Later in the evening I usually pop on some party food like mini quiches, vol au vents for myself and my dad while mum prepares the stuffing (she might have one or two also!). Must also get mince pies and mulled wine! of course there's plenty of other nibbles like Roses, Pringles, tortilla chips (junk basically)

Christmas Day:

The big event!
    We used to have soup for starters but it's too much really so now I might have brown bread and a bit of smoked salmon (from Aldi - in the blue packet, gorgeous!)

For the all important main meal we have juicy and tender turkey, ham, stuffing with onion, thyme and parsley, potato stuffing, potato croquettes, mashed potato, roasties, brussels, carrots, lashings of gravy and the star of the show - my mums garlic potato - to DIE for, very bad for you but what the heck it's Christmas!

Dessert is homemade sherry trifle and cream...mmmm

Oh god I can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Will be having Christmas day in my sisters house - 17 of us eating.
    The food is mostly a collaborative effort from the men in the family.

My mum bakes bread rolls every Christmas and we each have them for breakfast in our respective homes.

My dad will take the legs off the turkey, bone and stuff them with bread stuffing and cook and glaze the ham on Christmas Eve - not bad going for a man in his eighties!

One brother in law will usually have all the spuds and veg peeled.

There is usually a pot of soup made from the turkey bones on the hob for anyone who's peckish during the early part of the day.

Another brother in law will do the sea food starter/lunch which will include crab claws, prawns, smoked and fresh salmon, some salad and the ubiquitous sauce Marie Rose!

I take responsibility for the main which is usually something like this:
    Not over cooked turkey (will probably poach the crown and then brown it).
    Roast, stuffed and rolled turkey leg.
    Ham -cold.
    Roast veg - carrots, parsnips, shallots, garlic.
    Carrot and parsnip mash.
    Braised, spiced red cabbage.
    Sliced sautéed sprouts.
    Sautéed leeks.
    Roast spuds.
    Mashed spuds - mostly to use as leftovers.
    Lots of gravy made with homemade stock.

My mums Christmas pud.

Irish Cheese selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

leahyl wrote: »
    Christmas Eve: we usually get a takeaway - Hillbillies fried chicken (!)
    There ain't no darn-tootin' way you is gettin' mah fried chickun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There ain't no darn-tootin' way you is gettin' mah fried chickun!

Post of the day!:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

They have a really nice one in Fallon and Byrne but IIRC it was a bit on the pricey side 16e-20e can't remember exactly.

In italy it would still be a "supermarket" branded one but one of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Christmas Eve
    Usually go for lunch with the kids to a Pizza joint, etc. They get a kick out of it and it sets things up nicely (I would take a half day if working)

In the evening time when all the prep is done I do something simple for herself and myself (steak, lamb rack, etc) and enjoy with loads of red wine in front of the fire! Might even join Santa in a drop of the good stuff!

Christmas Day
    Likely to be fried brekkie and Croissants in the mamas along with some of the rest of the clan

Then back to my place to get the following ready for 7 adults (inc parents and in laws) and 4 kids;

Starter - tbc....

Roast Turkey
    Boiled and Roast Ham
    Roast spuds
    Mashed spuds topped with breadcrumbs and Gruyere
    Juline Carrot, Sprouts and may be one other (tbc)
    Some other 'specials' to cater for specific needs (not bothered simple needs)

Afters
    Definitely Choc Roulade (outsourced), trifle and pudding (guests bringing)
    Good cheese and crackers for any one who wants same

Served with wine (tbc) and softer drinks for those who dont

Departures likely at around 5pm at which point yours truly may and this is all down to Hill Billys influence indulge in some Grappa and Espresso and fall asleep on the couch!!!

Stephens Day - any ones guess but as I dont go Racing any more its less hap hazard and somewhat more organised

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not 100% sure yet. Turkey's ordered, have some ham in the freezer and also some chestnuts which need to be used. Veg, of course. There will be wine, home made orange wine (though not with the food) and creme de mure on hand. Pudding, custard and ice cream, too. I'd be tempted to try some of the more chocolatey recipes from the Cooking Club, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Lots of nibbles up to dinner time of course, but the main event will consist of:

Starter
    Some sort of crabmeat and prawn concoction that the Mammy has yet to finalise
    Lettuce
    Brown scones

Main
    Stuffed Turkey
    Stuffing not from the turkey
    Ham
    Roast potatoes
    Mashed potatoes
    Garlic potatoes
    Brussels sprouts sauteed with butter, almonds, lardons
    Red cabbage
    Other veg tbc, perhaps roast carrots, parsnips and sweet potato
    Gravy
    Bread sauce

Dessert
    Christmas pudding
    Christmas cake
    Mince pies
    Chocolate brownies
    Pavlova
    Chocolate chip cookie cake
    Ice cream

Chocolates and biscuits and tea and coffee and alcohol

God, I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a big pot of browned chicken stock on the go at the moment for the Christmas dinner. If I'm poaching the turkey I'll use that stock, if not, it'll get used for gravy and/or soup.

DSC00940rs.jpg

There seems to be a common theme in this thread which I think says something about the eating habits of the Irish.....
    ...three or more different types of potato and five or six different desserts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I always go home for Christmas - I have five younger siblings and one is still Santa age so there is still that bit of excitement getting things ready on Christmas eve.

I've been cooking the full dinner since I was about 16. We dont go too crazy, I never understood the lavish feasts that some people create. You stomach capacity isnt going to change for one day!

We never do a starter or big breakfast. Just eat what you usually do in the morning. I have made a homemade food hamper for my mother so we will probably test my produce!

No turkey this year for the first time. Instead I am stuffing a loin of pork with apple, spinach, dried apricot, chedder and orange zest. Making a light gravy to accompany using the juice of the orange and juice from the meat.

Might do goose if I can get my hands on one.

Normal veg to accompany - carrot, broccolli LOTS of onion, parsnip, sprouts.

Lots of spuds! Will do boiled and roast and everybodys fav: potato mashed with lots of mixed herbs, onion and butter.

There will be Christmas pudding and various sweet things Im sure, but its a case of, if you want some, get it yourself. It wont be dished up as a course.

I will mull some wine too so looking forward to a few glasses of that. Mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spiderface

My dad will take the legs off the turkey, bone and stuff them with bread stuffing and cook and glaze the ham on Christmas Eve - not bad going for a man in his eighties!

Respect!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Going to attempt apple and chestnut soup. Have also made a barmbrack, for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Starter Stuffed Mussels
    Main 4 Bird Roast, spiced beef, roasties, roast carrots, sweetcorn.
    Dessert Christmas cake/pud, lemon jelly cheesecake.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

There's only the two of us (husband and me), so it's going to be relaxed. The ham is boiling now, will glaze it tomorrow, so we can have some slices in the evening, together with cheese, apple slices and grapes. Then on to the day itself...

Breakfast: smoked salmon and scrambled egg

Lunch: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2428/gordons-christmas-roast-goose- with the recommended date and red wine sauce (did that last year and it was great). Potato and apple stuffing, sprouts, carrots, roast parnsips and peas, mini sausages wrapped in streaky bacon. There will be minncemeat filo parcels, Christmas pudding and ice cream available, but we tend not to have room for it!

Evening: ham and cheese nibbles, satsumas

St Stephen's Day - roast turkey crown (or leftover goose, not sure yet), salad, mashed potato, ham, pickled walnuts and cranberry sauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I've added a few bits to my menu - port jellies, which are setting in the fridge as I type, and pavlova. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Going to Clontarf Castle on Christmas Day, let them do the cooking!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The OH's children are with us this year and one of them is allergic to soy, dairy, gluten, wheat, spelt, eggs and 23 other food items, so cooking is a challenge, along with the fact that neither of them will eat turkey, and one of the two won't eat duck :rolleyes:

They arrive tomorrow, it's Chinese/takeaway tomorrow night :)

however, I think I've cracked the allergies :)

I've found an online recipe for bread that fits all of the above and can get all the ingredients here.

As a starter I may do just a simple tomato and basil soup with the aforementioned bread.

For Christmas dinner, it's roast goose stuffed with potato, apple, orange and onion in a red wine and port gravy, along with roast potatoes in goose fat, roasted veg, stir fried veg with sesame seeds, potatoes parmentier and sprouts with pancetta. We shall also have ham baked in coca cola with cinnamon. First time me doing a full christmas dinner so it should be fun

Dessert is flourless chocolate cake with dairy/egg/soy free mint and chocolate ice cream.

I'm actually looking forward to it if it all works out, first time in years all four of us will have eaten the same food due to the allergies :) I suspect that after all that cooking I'll have no appetite though :)

Then I've just to deal with 50+ teenagers and food for their party :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

YAY . . . today, we settled down to Kangaroo steak, Charlotte potatoes, fresh salad (straight from the garden) and peas with a redcurrant and crushed black pepper sauce.
    There's that much Roo striploin, we'll have some for a dinner party tomorrow evening :o)
    Cant' wait to see the guests faces...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Just cooked my first christmas dinner, delighted with myself :D

Advertisement