Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the plan for Christmas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Just cooked my first christmas dinner, delighted with myself :D

Me too! Went very well, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My dad will take the legs off the turkey, bone and stuff them with bread stuffing and cook and glaze the ham on Christmas Eve - not bad going for a man in his eighties!

What panned out in the end:

My dad didn't bone and roll the turkey legs in the end - my sister boned the legs and I stuffed and rolled them. MY dad did do his own ham and spiced beef, though. I also took the back off the turkey to leave just the crown.

So, for starter we has Thai crab cakes with dipping sauce and a small salad, compliments of my brother in law.

Main was turkey crown, poached in a rich stock and browned in a pan afterwards. Cold glazed ham and cold spiced beef. Gravy made from the fantastic stock that the turkey was poached in. Roast potatoes. Beetroot roast with port, balsamic and honey. Roast carrots, parsnips and shallots. Spiced red cabbage. Sliced sprouts cooked in butter with a little chilli, garlic and stock. Carrot and parsnip mash. I forgot to put in the garlic to roast:o

My mother's Christmas pudding. (it's good to make use of the old folk;))

Irish cheese board.

Very happy overall but I think the turkey could have done with 10 minutes less in the pot - still moist, though.;)

Back for lots of left overs today:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lots of leftover turkey...might see if I can do a curry or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I didn't turn on the cooker at all yesterday. Turkey & ham sambos all day with loads of pickled onions. T'was delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I didn't turn on the cooker at all yesterday. Turkey & ham sambos all day with loads of pickled onions. T'was delish!

I was king of the microwave yesterday! - although I did use the hob to boil a pot of spuds and did use the oven to heat plates and keep stuff warm;)
    Oh, fried up some left over roasties too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yesterday we our usual Stephen's Day dinner - bubble and squeak. I sauteed some onion in butter then threw in a load of mashed potato, leftover sprouts and carrot and parsnip mash. Stirred it around to heat it then put it under the grill to crisp the top. We had it with ham and lots of Chef brown sauce. Yummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Christmas went very well indeed and no food poisoning!!!

Settled eventually on a winter salad for starters (feta, clementines, fennel, chicory, etc). Nice and light

Turkey was good but not great (a little dry). Ham was stunning and the rest was good but the mash covered in breadcrumbs and Gruyere did not really work out well

Pinot Noir and Roija served and consumed in copious amounts!

HillBilly - unfortunately no Grappa for the espressos due to a mix up but did fall asleep on the couch after a large cognac!!!

kenco wrote: »
    Christmas Eve
    Usually go for lunch with the kids to a Pizza joint, etc. They get a kick out of it and it sets things up nicely (I would take a half day if working)

In the evening time when all the prep is done I do something simple for herself and myself (steak, lamb rack, etc) and enjoy with loads of red wine in front of the fire! Might even join Santa in a drop of the good stuff!

Christmas Day
    Likely to be fried brekkie and Croissants in the mamas along with some of the rest of the clan

Then back to my place to get the following ready for 7 adults (inc parents and in laws) and 4 kids;

Starter - tbc....

Roast Turkey
    Boiled and Roast Ham
    Roast spuds
    Mashed spuds topped with breadcrumbs and Gruyere
    Juline Carrot, Sprouts and may be one other (tbc)
    Some other 'specials' to cater for specific needs (not bothered simple needs)

Afters
    Definitely Choc Roulade (outsourced), trifle and pudding (guests bringing)
    Good cheese and crackers for any one who wants same

Served with wine (tbc) and softer drinks for those who dont

Departures likely at around 5pm at which point yours truly may and this is all down to Hill Billys influence indulge in some Grappa and Espresso and fall asleep on the couch!!!

Stephens Day - any ones guess but as I dont go Racing any more its less hap hazard and somewhat more organised

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Thought I would tell you guys about the amazing traditional French Christmas feast we ate at my parents back home:

1. Oysters on the half shell (Sancerre)
    2. Escargots with garlic butter (Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru)
    3. Foie gras on toast (Gewurtztraminer Vendanges Tardives)
    4. Guinea fowl with sausage and mushroom stuffing, served with chestnut puree and pumpkin puree (Pommard)
    5. Humongous selection of cheese (the stinkier the better :D )
    6. Traditional yule log (Champagne)
    7. Espresso served with truffles and assorted chocolates

All in all, we spent a good 5 hours at the table, and in the end I had to let myself drop on the floor from my chair and roll away after all that :D

Best. Food. Coma. Ever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Christmas dinner was so delicious this year! Don't know what was done different, but it was really good!

For starter just laid they following on the coffee table to pick at: deep fried mozzerella sticks, salmon, parma ham, tomato, bread, home made mayo, hot sauce and humous.

For main it was free range turkey, ham, mashed sweet potato, roast potato, duchess potato, sprouts, carrots, roast turnip, gravy. Nom!!

My mother hates doing the duchess potatoes but they are just too delicious and sure it's only once a year ;)

Desert was pudding (my mam made 17 this year!!) and mince pies with cream and ice cream.

At around 11pm we broke out the chips and dips and bakewell tart.

So much baking was done, and I still have a lump of pastry in the fridge. I think some jam tarts are in order.

On St Stephen's day I made a vegan chocolate cake for my cousin who was 21 this week. She's allergic to eggs and dairy. Tasted pretty good despite not having the good parts :p Used Green and Blacks cocoa.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good bread, tHB?

How many puddings, Twee? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yup, 17!

photo2-1.jpg

(Ok, she used to be in the catering business and has a friend who can put them in a steam oven to cook all at once ;) She does the mixture in one of these!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Don't know why I found myself counting them, but I did. :o
    Think I need to get out of the house for a bit!

Careful now, you'll have us making up songs or naming them Blitzen and the like! :pac:

Advertisement