Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 360 Open Tray Error, What to do?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

It's an original 360 (Arcade) console, purchased in July 2010. Gets the odd use, hardly clocked up 100 hours of game time on it since purchased. I turned it on for the first time in 3 months on Saturday to find that it won't read any of my discs. When you put in a disc, the tray closes, the motor sounds like it's making 2 attempts to do something, then silence for about 2 seconds and the I'm presented with the "Open Tray" message.

I have tried the following (from Youtube tips)
    1. Power off
    2. Start console by pressing eject
    3. Quickly remove disk and shove the tray closed
    After completing step 3 I can definitely hear the laser tray moving more now than at any other time. However when the console comes up, and I insert the disc again, it's back to square one with no difference. I have also cleared the system cache. This is an arcarde console and there has never been a hard drive added, memory sticks, etc. It's as vanilla as you can get.

Console has never been opened or modded, and I would prefer to fix this without opening, but if I have no choice....

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? or what my options are at this stage?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Clear your system cache, if you bought a HDD for it, remove it and try and play a game. If that doesnt work call Xbox support, if you bought the console in ireland the majority of them came with a 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Vicxas wrote: »
    Clear your system cache
    Unfortunately had already tried that
    if you bought a HDD for it, remove it and try and play a game.
    As i was saying, it's an arcade edition, with no extra hard drive, memory sticks, etc
    If that doesnt work call Xbox support
    What are the chances I will have a working console within a month if I go down this road? If not, I'd rather get it serviced locally, by either someone on boards.ie (anyone serving the Galway area PM me), or alternatively a repair centre.
    if you bought the console in ireland the majority of them came with a 2 year warranty.
    Amazon.co.uk :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Replacing the laser/disc drive will fix the issue, pm me if you need any assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

When the xbox is trying to read the disc, guve the top of the xbox a slight bang. (Really slight as if you were knocking in a door)

When the xbox is trying to read the disc, guve the top of the xbox a slight bang. (Really slight as if you were knocking in a door)
    At this stage I have tried that at varied intensities (not too hard mind you), while the console was both horizontal & vertical. At one stage I thought it was going to work, but no....it was just teasing me and still went on to display "Open Tray".

Yeah it sounds like the drive is b0rked, which is mad. Seriously you would expect it to perhaps stutter a few times during game play, yet mine went from absolutely no problem....to 3 months off....to not working at all. I have tried loads of different kinds of discs and every one of them does the same.

Did a little experiment earlier: I got a blank disc and put it in. It gave me the usual open tray after trying to read it. Surely if it actually attempted to read the disc it would tell me that the type of disc was not supported, so at least now I know it's not even getting that far.

What do you think could have caused the drive to fail like this? Considering I'm a very casual gamer. Seriously the console is lucky to be turned on once a month and it hasn't moved from a shelf under the TV (with plenty of air flow around it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

At this stage I have tried that at varied intensities (not too hard mind you), while the console was both horizontal & vertical. At one stage I thought it was going to work, but no....it was just teasing me and still went on to display "Open Tray".

Yeah it sounds like the drive is b0rked, which is mad. Seriously you would expect it to perhaps stutter a few times during game play, yet mine went from absolutely no problem....to 3 months off....to not working at all. I have tried loads of different kinds of discs and every one of them does the same.

Did a little experiment earlier: I got a blank disc and put it in. It gave me the usual open tray after trying to read it. Surely if it actually attempted to read the disc it would tell me that the type of disc was not supported, so at least now I know it's not even getting that far.

What do you think could have caused the drive to fail like this? Considering I'm a very casual gamer. Seriously the console is lucky to be turned on once a month and it hasn't moved from a shelf under the TV (with plenty of air flow around it).

I'm in Galway for college, and i could fix it for you. Seen as your not a big gamer i suppose you dont play online. So i could fix the drive and also flash a custom firmware on the drive for you as well if you want. I have an ad in the console modding forum.

I'm in Galway for college, and i could fix it for you. Seen as your not a big gamer i suppose you dont play online. So i could fix the drive and also flash a custom firmware on the drive for you as well if you want. I have an ad in the console modding forum.
    PM sent. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

As much as I appreciate you helping out the OP, advertising your services on this forum is frowned upon. In future, send a PM directing him to your advertisement in the modding section, don't blatantly post your services on the xbox forum.

No harm done this time. Just bare it in mind, thanks.

Advertisement