Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC resetting all day

• 12-12-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, this is really starting to be annoying and the worst thing is can't change to other ISP because of the year contract, once it's done I will change to other ISP than UPC. I pay like 70 Euro a month for what was supposed to be fast Internet, highest package on UPC.And all I get is like maximum 4 mb/s speeds and whole day yesterday and today internet kept dissapearing for an 20 min and appearing again, really annoying. Definetely wouldn't recommend, I mean it's ok if they would tell if they have some kind of maintenance or something, yet it just randomly dissapears, it's really annoying. Or is there anything that affects my speed? I mean it's 4 mb/s only.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Have you logged a maintenance call with them to fix the problem? They send out an enginner free of charge if it can't be resolved over the phone. Changing ISP is madness plain and simple as UPC have the best offerings in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

You need to ring them and explain the situation...
    I have UPC and I have none of those issues, you probably have a faulty modem that needs changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I got the modem like 3 weeks ago.

arleitiss wrote: »
    I got the modem like 3 weeks ago.
    you probably got a dud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

am in swords on a UPC 25Mb package and its down and up since 19:00

still on the 7 day suck and see so it may be going back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Up and down several times a day in D7 as well. The downstream and upstream SNR and power stats are healthy though which makes it even more annoying. That crappy Thomson router never resyncs itself after initially losing sync so then have to reboot it twice just to get it back online. Grrr!

ethernet wrote: »
    Up and down several times a day in D7 as well. The downstream and upstream SNR and power stats are healthy though which makes it even more annoying. That crappy Thomson router never resyncs itself after initially losing sync so then have to reboot it twice just to get it back online. Grrr!

There seems to be a growing number of people this is happening too. Theres and enginneer to call out to me at the weekend to take a look but it seems pretty obvious it's either a fault with the UPC network or a problem with the hardware/firmware of the thomson router. Chances are UPC will still make me jump through hoops first before finally swapping out the router. Then I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed the piece of crap doesn't fail again.

just to say I called them and they could see there was some "too high power levels" with the router so they are sending out a techie.

Better service than I ever got from any of the copper wire based BB providers, I suppose it helps when they own/manage the infrastructure pretty much from end to end.

Update, just noticed that the Tech support help page here
    http://support.upc.ie/app/ask/c/37

allows the uploading of files so when I had a string of "failed to open page" tabs earlier, a quick screen grab and upload the pic. to them. Superimposing the date and time is a help as they can see the router performance history.
    HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sh!t slow tonight in D11....

Download 0.3Mbps (s/b 20 !!!)
    Upload 1.8Mbps (about right)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

im having this problem aswell since i signed up. connection seems to drop every hour or so and come back like a minute later, sometimes longer. Its almost like they are doing it on purpose to stop people contineous steaming/downloading. really annoying anyways. especially in the middle of a game.

• Advertisement

I was having all the same problems and had an engineer out on Saturday. He swapped out the thomson and I told him I'd read about various problems with it. He confirmed that they've had a number of issues with the thomson routers (Random reboots, poor wireless and issues with VOIP) but that its been even worse with the two cisco units.

Anyway he swapped the unit for a new one and everything is back working again. UPC should really do some quality testing before rolling out routers. The original Scientific modem was rock solid as a cable modem with the netgear router. I never had a problem in the two years they were installed.

Having people running around the country swapping out these cheap boxes must cost a fortune :eek: Are they using the same models in Europe?

they came out and tested the line from my desk to the box on the roof which was fine, however the cable feeding the box has a problem they are going to relay this cable: should be fun as its behind the new 50 ' facia next door:)

they also took off the splitter and the transmit power number dropped from 68 to 54, its still at 54 which am told is 1 less than unacceptable which is 55

see attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Esel wrote: »
    Sh!t slow tonight in D11....

Download 0.3Mbps (s/b 20 !!!)
    Upload 1.8Mbps (about right)
    Update on above:

Replaced Wireless adapter (card) and all is well. UPC weren't much help though.

Not your ornery onager

Carlow52 wrote: »
    they came out and tested the line from my desk to the box on the roof which was fine, however the cable feeding the box has a problem they are going to relay this cable: should be fun as its behind the new 50 ' facia next door:)

they also took off the splitter and the transmit power number dropped from 68 to 54, its still at 54 which am told is 1 less than unacceptable which is 55

see attached
    that is quite high, my ''transmit power level'' is 38.9dBmV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Esel wrote: »
    Update on above:

Replaced Wireless adapter (card) and all is well. UPC weren't much help though.

Wireless connectivity is nothing to do with UPC. They dont guarantee any speeds over wireless as there are so many 3rd party devices that can cause interference with the signal. Always use wired connections when diagnosing speed issues.

Advertisement