Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rovers v Spurs Match Thread (football talk only )

Options
  • 12-12-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

It's always a good occasion when Spurs come to Ireland, and with this being a 'competitive game', it makes it even better. Hopefully it's a full house and a good atmosphere. Anyone know where Spurs are staying or are they flying in on the morning of the game ?

Who's going off here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Waiting on a Rovers mate to pony up a ticket. i'll be in with 'them lot' but sure I dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Will be there Hatch, looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

I`ll be there aswell, in with the rovers fans though. looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Waiting on a Rovers mate to pony up a ticket. i'll be in with 'them lot' but sure I dont mind.

I think we'll all be in the home section bar the odd lucky sod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

I'll be there.:)

• Advertisement

Lads, any spares for a fella I know ?

Hope the bloody weather picks up, some crazy conditions down here today. The uncovered seating could be a nightmare haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

cant see there being many 1st team players on show,will probably line up something like this........
    gomes
    fredricks,corluka,kaboul(cos hes suspended for sunday),rose
    peinaar,carroll,livermore,townsend.
    dos santos.
    kane.
    pity theres nothing really to play for except some pride for rovers.i think it will be a 2-2 draw and i hope the weather doesnt ruin it for both sets of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'll be there too :)

I have a sneaky suspicion 'Arry might go for it but even if it is a team like bradolf mentioned I'm still really looking forward to it. I only get to a couple of games a year at best so it's a rare treat.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Lads, any spares for a fella I know ?

Sorted, thanks fellas

• Advertisement

Talk today on the radio that Niko could play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just sold my ticket today just couldn't be arsed for some reason. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Just sold my ticket today just couldn't be arsed for some reason. :(

pub's definately the better option :)

Safe to say we're not bothered going for the six goal swing then?

There is potential for a half decent starting xi there but I'm looking forward to seeing it regardless.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    A bit short of defenders in that 15. Will it be three at the back?

Could well be, or maybe a back four of BAE Kaboul Livermore Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

pub's definately the better option :)

sure you lot are used to that, why get out of the comfort zone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

anything constructive to say on the football.:rolleyes:

Looking at the spurs team do you fancy your chances for a point? Know others have been saying its a nothing game but from a rovers perspective the windfall of 60k for a draw is massive. Will O'Neills announcement though not surprised affect your players?

From a spurs point of view its obvious Harry doesnt give a sh7t but equally dont want to be beaten which is fair enough. Was a good night in WHL and had good banter with the rovers fans on the way over and in the Irish Centre.my seat was right beside the away fans was impressed with the racket you made all night. Hopefully tonight will be just as good.

think I would have to still call it a spurs win 3-1 maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

its just a nothing meaningless games for us , sunderland and chelsea is were we are focused. Not Shamrock Rovers:D

• Advertisement

I actually fancy rovers tonight, it's obvious 'Arry isn't interested and the younger lads aren't going to care as this is most of their last start this season.

Rovers on the other hand have been looking forward to this game most of all I'd imagine that topped with the manager leaving might push them more.

You could have worse bets then 1-0 Rovers @ 20/1.

ziedth wrote: »
    I actually fancy rovers tonight, it's obvious 'Arry isn't interested and the younger lads aren't going to care as this is most of their last start this season.

Rovers on the other hand have been looking forward to this game most of all I'd imagine that topped with the manager leaving might push them more.

You could have worse bets then 1-0 Rovers @ 20/1.

It might not be a bad bet at all if they had still been involved in the LOI and playing weekly, but they haven`t played a competitive game in 6 weeks. I think we will still win. At best a draw for Rovers I feel. But you never know!!

Spurs -1 11/10
    JD to score in 90 mins 11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It might not be a bad bet at all if they had still been involved in the LOI and playing weekly, but they haven`t played a competitive game in 6 weeks. I think we will still win. At best a draw for Rovers I feel. But you never know!!

Thats the problem, but hopefully ending the season on high will push the lads on, getting anything from the 6 games was always going to be a bonus

Make a huge difference for Rovers balance sheet at the end of the year if they did pick up a draw/win I'd imagine.

I kinda got a funny feeling about this game. It wouldn't surprise me if we did turn around and knock 5 in or see Rovers win.

I hope it's not a 0-0 anyway. At the very least I'd like to see both teams go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

ziedth wrote: »

I kinda got a funny feeling about this game. It wouldn't surprise me if we did turn around and knock 5 in or see Rovers win.

I hope it's not a 0-0 anyway. At the very least I'd like to see both teams go at it.

There's a few players there looking to prove their worth, it's possible that we could hammer in 4 goals later, a 2-0 defeat for Rubin and we're away.

I have the sheepskin jacket at the ready for later, it's due to drop to zero degrees for the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Mullo76 wrote: »
    anything constructive to say on the football.:rolleyes:

Looking at the spurs team do you fancy your chances for a point? Know others have been saying its a nothing game but from a rovers perspective the windfall of 60k for a draw is massive. Will O'Neills announcement though not surprised affect your players?

From a spurs point of view its obvious Harry doesnt give a sh7t but equally dont want to be beaten which is fair enough. Was a good night in WHL and had good banter with the rovers fans on the way over and in the Irish Centre.my seat was right beside the away fans was impressed with the racket you made all night. Hopefully tonight will be just as good.

think I would have to still call it a spurs win 3-1 maybe.

How can we have a chance when your one of your players will make more in a year than one of our entire team put together. Our lads are signing on the dole in the morning to tide them over until the new season. From a purely footballing point of view, our season ended a month and a half ago, and this is our 59th game of the season, with a bunch of part-time players.

We have no chance, because money talks in the modern game thanks to the Premier League and Champions League and those who tune in to watch it instead of going to football games, but what can you do.

PerryRoko wrote: »
    How can we have a chance when your one of your players will make more in a year than one of our entire team put together. Our lads are signing on the dole in the morning to tide them over until the new season. From a purely footballing point of view, our season ended a month and a half ago, and this is our 59th game of the season, with a bunch of part-time players.

We have no chance, because money talks in the modern game thanks to the Premier League and Champions League and those who tune in to watch it instead of going to football games, but what can you do.

I don`t think that the players wages play a part in results and I wouldn`t say that you have no chance. We haven`t our strongest team over by any means with a lot of youngsters that only get a run out in this competition. On the day it`s 11 v 11 on the pitch and a 2 horse race. Anything can happen in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BERBA wrote: »
    its just a nothing meaningless games for us , sunderland and chelsea is were we are focused. Not Shamrock Rovers:D

Mong.

It's a rare chance to see your club in the flesh without having to leave the country and some people couldn't be bothered to go because of the rain and team selected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

I don`t think that the players wages play a part in results and I wouldn`t say that you have no chance. We haven`t our strongest team over by any means with a lot of youngsters that only get a run out in this competition. On the day it`s 11 v 11 on the pitch and a 2 horse race. Anything can happen in football.

Wages dont play a part in results?!?! I've no idea how anyone who watches the modern game could think that. It is everything.

We can be romantic about it and say its 11 v 11 and anything can happen, and poor old Spurs having to put out just the likes of Pavlyuchenko, Defoe and even being forced to play some of the youngsters they've handpicked from across the world, but its still a different world to the one most football clubs operate in.

Anything can happen in football, but it rarely works out that way. How many games have Luxembourg, San Marino or Andorra ever won? How many times have a top four team in England been knocked out of the FA Cup by a team from League One or below. No point being romantic about it, the richer, bigger teams win more often than not. If we pull of a shock tonight it would be fantastic for our club, and will take a herculean effort from our lads. Realistically though, we've not got a chance though as the odds have been completely stacked against us by the likes of the bloke in this thread from Tallaght who's referring to a team on his doorstep as "them lot" while cheering on a team of Russians, Mexicans, Cameroonians etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement