Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda car engine sizes

• 12-12-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Was just reading about the Garda car that was stolen last night and was just wondering what size engines do Garda cars have, what would be the fastest Garda car out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

theres a list on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vehicles_used_by_An_Garda_S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na

They have a few high powered cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know the avensis are 125HP diesels and 129HP 1.6 petrol

Old type mondeo are usually 2.0 lx

They have v70s and fast stuff too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

3.0L mondeo I would of guessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

They have a couple of 520d's which wouldn't exactly be slow, and I think they have a 2.5 Subaru Forester. The 3.0V6 mondeo would be fast too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

166man wrote: »
    They have a couple of 520d's which wouldn't exactly be slow, and I think they have a 2.5 Subaru Forester. The 3.0V6 mondeo would be fast too.

Vectra GTS V.6 aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

most of them are 2.0 litres i know a few of the gardai who drives them:cool:
    But the problem are the high powered bikes unless your car can top 140 mph my guess is your not loosing them at all

Plus been quite frank they like safety in numbers, takes an officer a couple of seconds to use the radio then you have mountains of cars coming from every direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

they mostly have have 2.0l ford mondu's, the guards in kilkenny have 2.2l vectra's for chasing lads,serious car's to go. Then they have the big volvo estates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The ARU XC70's are D5 (2.4 Diesel units), which I think have been fettled.........

The Traffic Corps used to have the last of the 2.0T Forrester's - same engine as the Impreza Turbo, but detuned to a mere 180 brake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

I heard those XC70's are supposed to have immense turbo lag though?
    still wouldn't say no to a t5 myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

sonyvision wrote: »
    most of them are 2.0 litres i know a few of the gardai who drives them:cool:
    But the problem are the high powered bikes unless your car can top 140 mph my guess is your not loosing them at all

Depends the situation, I have an enormous amount of respect for Garda bikers but I know myself from riding bikes for many years that as soon as a car gets into twisties or it's a wet day the bike just won't be able to keep up. That's assuming of course that it's a decent car and the skill level between the driver and the biker are even. If it were me though I wouldn't even bother because the Garda bikers are seriously good at what they do and their skill will close the gap 99 times out of a 100. And of course like you say they will have already radioed for numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

Radioing for reinforcements doesn't always help.......

http://www.u.tv/News/Drunk-driver-stole-Garda-car/f10ee748-25b4-45fd-bbb8-54ddd12caed2

GardaCar_checkpoint.jpg

Gardaí say they're "confident" of catching the suspected drunk-driver who stole a patrol car from officers who pulled him over, then high-tailed it across the border into Northern Ireland.

The vehicle the man was originally travelling in was stopped by gardaí in Balbriggan, Co Dublin, at about 8.30pm on Sunday and he was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.

He was placed in the back of the officers' patrol car - but somehow managed to get into the driver's seat, gain control of the vehicle and make his escape.

The suspect drove up the A1 motorway, crashed through the toll plaza near Drogheda and made his way into Northern Ireland.

A Garda spokesman confirmed on Monday that officers along the A1 route had been alerted to the situation - but added that the driver had somehow evaded them.

This idiot, in a marked car, managed to travel 50 miles without being stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A chase would have been stupid, even a Veyron would be unlikely to catch a Yaris with a 10 to 15 minute headstart going Lusk to Newry on the M1. An interception from one of the many cars based in stations within a 5 minute drive of the M1 would have been the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

I passed an unmarked vectra opc on the m8 near urlingford, it had someone pulled in, a few miles later it bombed passed me when I was doing an indicated 135kph like I was only doing 80kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    I passed an unmarked vectra opc on the m8 near urlingford, it had someone pulled in, a few miles later it bombed passed me when I was doing an indicated 135kph like I was only doing 80kph.

And then torquesteered off the motorway onto a slip road at the next bend?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Depends the situation, I have an enormous amount of respect for Garda bikers but I know myself from riding bikes for many years that as soon as a car gets into twisties or it's a wet day the bike just won't be able to keep up. That's assuming of course that it's a decent car and the skill level between the driver and the biker are even. If it were me though I wouldn't even bother because the Garda bikers are seriously good at what they do and their skill will close the gap 99 times out of a 100. And of course like you say they will have already radioed for numbers.

Just as you said the skills the traffic cop bikers have are from years of driving bikes and advanced courses, if the cops want you stopped at the end of the day your not getting away no matter what car you have,

As regards the case of the stolen car how can you arrange to have it stopped when the person in the car will use the radio to find out were the cars are coming from and were the cars are waiting,

The "drunk Drive" could have blown just over the limit for a professional driver so his driving if this was the case would still be legal for a non professional driver,

The individual was not stupid waited till he got above the boarder and dumped the car even tho he was stupid to steal the car in the first place:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

I doubt the guy who just nicked a Garda car would be listening to anything other than wailing sirens and engine noise not carefully planning his next move by following the radio natter. More likely he knew he boarder area intimately!

And he was definitely Stupid a professional driver blowing over .02? Sindo says it was a Lexus so it could be a taxi or limo but more than likely a private citizen
    Even a normal citizen blowing a .05 would be rather thick to:

1st offence Taking a vehicle
    2nd offence dangerous driving
    And I assume there are others on there
    Not a rational persons night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd love to have seen them chase him in his own car!

Advertisement