Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Tax - Car registered

• 12-12-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Wondering if anyone else has hit this :

I have bought a car recently registered in January 2008. its a 999cc car.

I thought this put me into the tax bracket of the old car tax system as it was registered before the intro of the Co2 based tax system. (June 2008)

But apparently Im in band "B" of the new system. I phoned the car tax office and was told cars between jan-june 2008 were put in which ever was cheaper.

Tax office states, Cars applicable for new tax system:
    "NEW PRIVATE CARS registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 where CO2 rate is lower than engine capacity (c.c) rate."

Yet Im being charged on the higher Co2 rate. . . .

Should have bought the non-sensable car!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the car? Are you sure they dont think its over 1001 cc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Car tax on 1/2/2009 was €172 for a 999cc car and €156 for Band B car. So band B was cheaper when the rule change applied at the 1st renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You would have started out on 170, then emissions tax 150, then up to 156
    Now it's going up to 225 for the year.

Personally i think you're still getting a great deal

My other halfs 999cc car uses more fuel than mine and produces more co2 yet I pay 3.7 times more tax for my 2.0d

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

Its only a wee Yaris -

Still feel jibbed, the tax was a very big factor in choosing it!

. . . .Shuda bought the convertable. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

For cars first registered (here or abroad) between Jan to June 2008 the tax system used is the one cheaper on the date of first Irish taxation/renewal after 1-July-2008 (as outlined by si_guru). So for the Yaris, CO2 was initially cheaper and so it will be the CO2 system for that car from now on. If you import the same car today, CC is now cheaper so it would be a CC based car indefinitely.

This was all easy to research in advance of car purchase. Blame the research, not the system. The Yaris is still a sound economic choice and will be easily sold on if you don't like it. Still, I can't believe why one would make a car choice because of a €50 tax swing. Surely fuel consumption is a much greater factor to consider in a car purchase? If you purchased the convertible you probably would be unhappy also?

• Advertisement
Advertisement