Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gr8fish.ie spamming

Options
  • 12-12-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

I am being hammered by spam from gr8fish.ie & I didn’t sign up with – it looks as if the scraped the emails off a site I look after. Its really getting annoying -
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

blue4ever wrote: »
    I am being hammered by spam from gr8fish.ie & I didn’t sign up with – it looks as if the scraped the emails off a site I look after. Its really getting annoying -
    Any suggestions?
    Seems to be some Brazilian with a .ie domain - strangely. (bounced complaint and a few whois checks) Getting hit by the spam on two accounts and one of them is a search engine spider so it definitely is a scraped list. The spam seems to be coming via a Lunarpages VPS from what I remember. It may be a Data Protection Commissioner issue.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Got hit on several email addresses as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hello,

Yes I am Brazilian! And own this “.ie” domain.
    We are a business newly setup and have been working on a large project for the last 6 months to get our website up and running.
    We have some great people on our team working hard to get this new website up and running... they are working hard to get new deals with special discounts.
    I would like to apologize if you received emails from us last week... We had launched our website last week (Friday) and a few emails went to our database that had been collected on our promotional website (<link removed by mod>) previously.
    Potentially a friend of you guys went to the website and had participated in our promotion. We offered a prize, and as you can see on the website, we collected emails addresses from it.
    Again, I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused, and would like to reassure you that we have already removed your email address from our database.
    Apologies again and please do not hesitate to contact me on <number removed by mod>if required.

It is certainly less than ethical to get people to give their friend's email addresses in this type of promotion and use them, if not illegal, for the purposes of your spamming. You should remove all addresses gathered by such methods.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Ill close this topic with the above explanation. I have removed any links and phone numbers.

Any questions please send me a PM.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement