Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain me this lads...

Options
  • 12-12-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

As you know I Biult a new pc for myself just for gaming. Though I would like to share some numbers with you lads....

My new:

i5 2500k oced to 4.2ghz
    8gb 1600 ram
    Gtx 570

Heaven benchmark score: 850

My old dell xps 420

Q6600 stock
    3gb ram DDR2

Heave score: 850

Bouth benchmarks were done on same resolutions and same settings...

Or i5 2500k + gtx 570 really sucks or q6600 + 6870 is lethal combination...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I dunno, but maybe...
    Your old setup was being pushed 100% to get the score it did.
    When using the same setting with your new setup your only using 50% of what it is capable of?
    Perhaps using higher settings your new setup will push ahead? Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

570 should be getting over 1000 coupled with the i5 2500k going by google.

I don't really use benchmarks,but does the HT effect it?

I'll check my own and see how it compares

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Minimal fps on old setup was 9.8 frames new one has 20.

On the other side some places where new setup pushed only 48fps my old dell was at 60!!!

It's really weird.

I can't even overclock dam 570 as it gets unstable even from lightest overclocking. In some cases it perform worse over locked then stock...

Minimal fps on old setup was 9.8 frames new one has 20.

On the other side some places where new setup pushed only 48fps my old dell was at 60!!!

It's really weird.

I can't even overclock dam 570 as it gets unstable even from lightest overclocking. In some cases it perform worse over locked then stock...
    Whats the exact model,reference or non-reference?

What settings are you benching at?

Heres mine,running the cards stock at the minute,i'll see what I can get later using trixx.
    Edit:resize
    heaven.jpg

right i did stock benchmark on my i5 and got this:

stock is with no AA?

i am wondering, is there even a point of AA when playing 1080p resolution? i did not sow much of visual differences, but performance increase dramaticly...

NewBitmapImage-3.jpg

i will go do now same benchmark on my q6600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

I'm not very fond of the Unigine benchmark. Sure it looks pretty, but I have some concerns regarding its optimization; namely when switching from scene to scene there's always a massive FPS hit regardless of system specs which I think is a programming issue and not a hardware issue.

right i did stock benchmark on my i5 and got this:

stock is with no AA?

i am wondering, is there even a point of AA when playing 1080p resolution? i did not sow much of visual differences, but performance increase dramaticly...

*snip*

i will go do now same benchmark on my q6600
    Just realised you can't see my settings now,they're the same as yours but with x4AA

Newest drivers?

And your right,AA is a massive killer in games,better to use FXAA when you can. In BF3 I use full FXAA and x2 AA for example

q6600

NewBitmapImage-4.jpg

so are nvidia overpriced piece of **** or ati 6870 is a really cracking card...

It is a good card but not that good ha.
    If your happy with how it performs in game thats all that matters. Just make sure you have the latest drivers.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    It is a good card but not that good ha.
    If your happy with how it performs in game thats all that matters. Just make sure you have the latest drivers.

well it sort of ****.

i spent 1.2k eu on new pc, which is slightly faster then my old one...

anyway, its a wild guess. my gpu is installed in lower pcie slot as i could not fit in top one. would that make any difference? x8 and x16?

my mobo is z68A-g45 (B3)

if i am using second slot maybe it might be on x8 speed, not x16? or that does not matteR?

it says in my mobo book:

2pcie 2.0 x16 slot
    PCI_E2 supports up to pciex16 speed ( when PCI_E5 is empty) or PCIe x8 speed ( when PCI_E% is installed)

i am not running sli, so does it still puts me on x8 speed? does it make huge difference?

• Advertisement

well it sort of ****.

i spent 1.2k eu on new pc, which is slightly faster then my old one...

anyway, its a wild guess. my gpu is installed in lower pcie slot as i could not fit in top one. would that make any difference? x8 and x16?

my mobo is z68A-g45 (B3)

if i am using second slot maybe it might be on x8 speed, not x16? or that does not matteR?

it says in my mobo book:

2pcie 2.0 x16 slot
    PCI_E2 supports up to pciex16 speed ( when PCI_E5 is empty) or PCIe x8 speed ( when PCI_E% is installed)

i am not running sli, so does it still puts me on x8 speed? does it make huge difference?
    Ouch.

Going by what you posted they're should be a few numbers beside your PCI-E slots,look for the PCI_E5 then put it in the other as it can effect the speeds,usually not too notable though.
    Did you check your GPU usuage when doing the benchmarks? maybe its not pushing 90%+ percent. Also try overclocking your CPU to 3.7 to 4.0GHz,the stock cooler should do,just watch the temps.

I'll admit i'm not one for nvidia/intel so maybe throw up a thread on overclock.net.It could be something to do with your platform.

Just changed few things inside my case. Got the gpu in to main slot. Let's see how it will do now...

I will newer ever buy msi mobo as it has sata connections going up, not in to the side. So it is I'm the way of that fat bastard called gtx 570....

I wonder what will happen if I drop my 6870 in to i5... Or i will sell that **** grx570 then buy 6870 and do Cs in i5 pc...

Just changed few things inside my case. Got the gpu in to main slot. Let's see how it will do now...

I will newer ever buy msi mobo as it has sata connections going up, not in to the side. So it is I'm the way of that fat bastard called gtx 570....

I wonder what will happen if I drop my 6870 in to i5... Or i will sell that **** grx570 then buy 6870 and do Cs in i5 pc...

Good stuff :)

Never had one,they that bad?always bought asus :)

crossfire 6870 is very good,better than a single 580.

The only problem you will encounter will be the drivers,micro stuttering as some have (i've never had problem) and some games not using CFX,but the good ones do :)

* also you will still only have 1gb of vram available while the 580 will have 1.5 and 3gb as per the 3gb and 1.5gb cards

Everyone always bitched about ati drivers, but my life with 6870 was flawless!

I did same benchmark and score went up to 1054 on standart. So it's a wee touch bigger.

I oced 570 a bit now to see if it will make it more stable on x16 slot ( if that was actuolly the issue... )

Everyone always bitched about ati drivers, but my life with 6870 was flawless!

I did same benchmark and score went up to 1054 on standart. So it's a wee touch bigger.

I oced 570 a bit now to see if it will make it more stable on x16 slot ( if that was actuolly the issue... )
    Same as

Could be,it failing to OC could be the volts aswell,check what it can take then put it near max

Oced slightly. Did not crashed on heaven. 99% usage

Score: 1116.

Min fps 24.5
    Max fps 107.1
    Avg 44.3

Oced slightly. Did not crashed on heaven. 99% usage

Score: 1116.

Min fps 24.5
    Max fps 107.1
    Avg 44.3

That looks more like it,most benches iv'e seen for the 570 are about that:)

@ 1080p the performance difference between a GTX 560 and a HD 6870 are about 15% in favor of the nVidia card - not a huge difference by any means.

It's 570.

I oced it to from 742 to 800 core, then 1900 to 2000 memory clock. Stock 1013v and with AA x4 it crashed... Dunno why but if I put vote voltage I allways get worse scores...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

dan_ep82, what are your specs? Can't see in the screenshot.

• Advertisement

right, i found a thread of 570 OCers. the fellas with same system as i get same score on stock: 1050ish.

my system is allright, but gtx 570 is a overpriced piece of ****. for the price of 1xgtx570 you can get CS 6870 which will blow it out of the water.

even in real world 6870 is a better card for twice less the money.

i am not a fanboy as i had 8800GT and it was briliant card, but now nvidia can go and "F" itself in ZE ARSEN!...

right, i found a thread of 570 OCers. the fellas with same system as i get same score on stock: 1050ish.

my system is allright, but gtx 570 is a overpriced piece of ****. for the price of 1xgtx570 you can get CS 6870 which will blow it out of the water.

even in real world 6870 is a better card for twice less the money.

i am not a fanboy as i had 8800GT and it was briliant card, but now nvidia can go and "F" itself in ZE ARSEN!...

The biggest chunk of the cost of 570's lies in the vapor chamber cooler. Lots of R&R went into making it affordable for mass production. I'd say the next generation of nVidia cards will see the cost of the vapor chamber go down a lot.

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    The biggest chunk of the cost of 570's lies in the vapor chamber cooler. Lots of R&R went into making it affordable for mass production. I'd say the next generation of nVidia cards will see the cost of the vapor chamber go down a lot.

well my tempretures are not going more then 51. in fact, i havent seen it go more then that, no matter what load, but is it worth 150eu extra for 6870?...

when 570 will drop in price i will do sli, but now i feel raped by Nvidia, i really dont get it how they do all those benchmarks...

Serephucus wrote: »

works both ways:

this actully makes gtx570 make look even more ****.

2x6870 = 1x570gtx = same price

2x6870 > 1x570GTX

2x580 = 2x6870 ( actuoally 2x580 wins by 0.5 FRAME! 2560x1600)

2x580 = 800eu
    2x6870 = 350eu

( there were no 570 sli benchmark, so 570 will be even less! )

works both ways:

this actully makes gtx570 make look even more ****.

2x6870 = 1x570gtx = same price

2x6870 > 1x570GTX

2x580 = 2x6870 ( actuoally 2x580 wins by 0.5 FRAME! 2560x1600)

2x580 = 800eu
    2x6870 = 350eu

( there were no 570 sli benchmark, so 570 will be even less! )

Ok fine, but with CF anything, you loose your upgrade path. At least the with 570/580, you can buy another one second hand for a lot less later on. That's not factoring in CF scaling, microstter, driver problems, etc.

dan_ep82, what are your specs? Can't see in the screenshot.

Sorry,had to resize it for here.

Important bits
    Win7 ultimate 64bit
    4gb ram 1333mhz g.skill ripjaw
    Phenom 1090T @3.7ghz
    Two Sapphire 6870's in crossfire at stock clocks
    7200rpm HDD(SSD in post)

Ok fine, but with CF anything, you loose your upgrade path. At least the with 570/580, you can buy another one second hand for a lot less later on. That's not factoring in CF scaling, microstter, driver problems, etc.
    Bah,your upgrade path is only as big as your budget. Eventually even sli 580's wont cut it,and once again you loose your upgrade path. I agree 2 580's are much better,and if you can justify it go for it.
    But in terms of price vs performance the 6870's win hands down.

fact is fact bud, Nvidia is overpriced bundle of metal. even on benchmarks SLI 570 is crap...

2x6870 would give me way more performance now, and by the time they would get old, i would just buy new gen card, which will be faster then 2x570.

i am a wee bit rattled atm so i might sound like an asshole. i needed to do more homework and see scaling of GPUs. I am the one to blame.

Ah well, its still a great system, but i could have done better on GPU side.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Bah,your upgrade path is only as big as your budget. Eventually even sli 580's wont cut it,and once again you loose your upgrade path. I agree 2 580's are much better,and if you can justify it go for it.
    But in terms of price vs performance the 6870's win hands down.

Right, well:

2 6870s (or a single 570) is €350.
    Add a second 570 a year later, that's €200.

Upgrading from 6870 CF, means at least the same again, probably more, minus the cost of selling the 6870s, so about €400.

So, over, say, 2-3 years:

6870 CF + other card: €750
    570 and SLI later: €550

Advertisement