Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain me this lads...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

i am a wee bit rattled atm so i might sound like an asshole.

This.

Go play games, and forget about benchmarks for a while. I should point out that AMD card have always done better with synthetic scores than NVIDIA cards.

If you hate it that much, I'll take the 570 and buy you a 6870.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    This.

Go play games, and forget about benchmarks for a while. I should point out that AMD card have always done better with synthetic scores than NVIDIA cards.

If you hate it that much, I'll take the 570 and buy you a 6870.

buy me 2x6870 and then ill give you 570 :D

You sir, can kindly go to hell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Right, well:

2 6870s (or a single 570) is €350.
    Add a second 570 a year later, that's €200.

Upgrading from 6870 CF, means at least the same again, probably more, minus the cost of selling the 6870s, so about €400.

So, over, say, 2-3 years:

6870 CF + other card: €750
    570 and SLI later: €550

Bad maths,he has a 6870 already :p

So
    1 extra 6870 is 160-170 new enabling CFX and FPS of 580
    1 extra 570 @350 new enabling sli and fps of ... not sure,close to sli 580

In two years he could sell the 6870's probably for 150 and the 570's for 220.

By then the 7XXX series will be cheap and he could get a single 7970 for a little more on top of the re-sale of the 570's or 6870's and have the performance of a 590.

Either in 2-3 years he will more than likely get a top range card again the sale of the old cards will of course knock some off the price but more than likely wont be such a big factor,when you buy new you budget for it at the time.

If I had to give advice concerning future proofing I'd say hold onto the 570,wait until the 7 series are released and then get a single 7970 for (rumoured) under 400euro and have 590 performance,then CFX when the prices drop a bit.

*Im rubbish at maths by the way

Point(s) taken. I was more doing it as a general thing to point out when to be thinking about multi-GPU setups, taking his cards as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

tbf, those benchmarks are fairly inaccurate.

what you're looking for in a game is the highest possible minimum FPS. big dips make unpleasant gaming.

without looking at the benchmark results, i can garuntee that the i5+570 will forever outpace the older q6600+6870 by probably close to 20fps at high resolutions. thats a huge difference.

totally agree with you on the Nvidia pricing though. i love my GTX 460. its a beast of an overclocker. but i couldnt justify their price/performance when getting my new build. i had a toss up between a GTX 580, but i got a great deal on 2x HD6950CF (€204 each -now €232!) whereas the cheapest 580 was €410!!! the benchmarks say it all.

my experiences of crossfire are mixed though. only game i had a problem with is F1 2011 not working properly. but the drivers are fairly kak. my CCC is now refusing to open so i cant change any settings, and the only solution online is to reinstall W7. **** sake.

my next upgrade will be Maxwell i reckon. SLI unless the 700 series is going to be an uber beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Point(s) taken. I was more doing it as a general thing to point out when to be thinking about multi-GPU setups, taking his cards as an example.

Ah i know where your coming from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For reference, 2 x 6970s and an i5 all at stock only gets mid 1200s at 2560 x 1440 with x4 AA. Min fps 10, max 109, average 46. A single 6970 only averages around 20fps.

Benchmarks are only mildly useful mind. In-game performance is all that really matters.

Edit:

Performance at a more reasonable resolution for reference:

Again x4AA.

FPS:
    Scores:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

As you can see, complete overkill for this test. Pointlessly high max, similar low and an average fps a good bit higher than is necessary. With watercooling and some good overclocks on the GPUs you could get much better numbers here.

Advertisement