Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEGINNER TELESCOPE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

leddpipe wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Im just wondering would this be an appropriate scope for a beginner:

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_16248.htm

Thanks in advance, :)

I am interested in hearing replies to that scope and also opinions on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ill lend a hand since there are no replies yet :D

I would be more inclined to pick the first scope. Its a typical astronomical orientated scope, so extra eyepieces and accessories and the like can be bought for it, because the focus tube takes the 31.7mm eyepiece size.

Its an entry level 70mm scope, it says equatorial mount, but Im not so sure the scope in the pic is on an equatorial mount. I think its on a simple alt-az mount, so just point and look.

The eyepieces are simple Kellner type eyepieces, but should do the job just fine. The 4mm eyepiece will struggle alot, as the 70mm objective just wont handle that amount of power. So it probably wont be used that much.

The diagonal mirror is handy for looking at objects near the zenith.

The second scope is a zoom spotting scope, so you are kinda stuck with that eyepiece. It might be good as a companion to a good pair of binoculars, but imo thats about it.

Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

good info Kesh, many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

Kersh wrote: »

The eyepieces are simple Kellner type eyepieces, but should do the job just fine. The 4mm eyepiece will struggle alot, as the 70mm objective just wont handle that amount of power. So it probably wont be used that much.
    when you say "So it probably wont be used that much." do you mean the buyer will need to buy a different eyepiece?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

ANSI wrote: »
    when you say "So it probably wont be used that much." do you mean the buyer will need to buy a different eyepiece?
    I think it's more a case of not needing an eyepiece with that magnification. Point 3 in that article shows a picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

ANSI wrote: »

Basically as the link henbane posted, the smaller the size of an eyepiece the more it magnifies.

I have a 12" dobsonian, and an 8" sct, and eyepieces from 4mm to 40mm.

The smallest size eyepiece I ever use, and rarely so, is a 9mm. And even at that the image is sort of blurring and very difficult to focus properly unless seeing conditions are pretty good.

Over the past few years I would say the 20mm, 25mm, 32mm and 40mm get the most use, in general. The 4mm and 6mm have probably never been used, except to try.

On a still night looking at a planetary nebula or one of the planets I will boost up to a 12mm or the 9mm, but rarely so.

So a 4mm eyepiece with a 70mm scope . . . it wont be pretty at all, and may frustrate the observer.
    We have scopes that come with 4mm eyepieces and I have been tempted to remove them from the boxes to be honest!

Advertisement