Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home heat oil

Options
  • 12-12-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

any names for good value for 600 litres of home heat oil in drogheda?
    what kinda price should i expect to pay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

I got a quote from donnelly fuels for €438 for 500 l last week. i have an account with Top Oil and they matched the price even tho they initially qouted me something like €450. That was the best price that I could find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

paid €890 for 1000 litres of green last week campus oil

try dfl fuels in drogheda, looked up campus oil there now and its €460 for 500 litres of mgo:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Got 500Ltrs of Oil delivered by McCarthy Oil Collon, just before the budget... €430

kormak wrote: »
    Got 500Ltrs of Oil delivered by McCarthy Oil Collon, just before the budget... €430
    i'm saying nothing:D think i will stick with where i normally buy ta

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    i'm saying nothing:D think i will stick with where i normally buy ta
    :confused: dodge city?!
    I tend to shop around, they were the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Apart from saying nothing the vat on home heating oil did not increase......yet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

As i did and thats where i bought it eventually after this situation,
    went to order oil with Tiger last week as usual,pulled up and put €50.03 into the van slight overfill by .03c went into office to pay with cash and order 1000l of green........paid with €50 note and was asked for the .03c gave .05c and lo and behold she had no single c change and wasnt offerd it.
    So I orderd with campus 75e on the 1000l cheaper compared to the 3c wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mind me asking how home heating oil can be dodgy ?

It's not washed well because it's not marked and it's refined in the same manner as most diesels abeit a bit more of a sulphur content..... So how is there dodgy home heating oil for home heating ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Whelan my thoughts would be the same as yours;)
    however i got 600 litres from campus for €520 ,about .82 cents a litre i think so i would say its in and about right and from a reputill company so happy enough.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »

It's not washed well because it's not marked and it's refined in the same manner as most diesels abeit a bit more of a sulphur content..... So how is there dodgy home heating oil for home heating ?
    there are 2 types of heating oil, kerosene and mgo.... mgo is where the problem is... stick with dfl or campus and all will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

there are 2 types of heating oil, kerosene and mgo.... mgo is where the problem is... stick with dfl or campus and all will be fine

mmmmh MGO stands for Marked Gas Oil i.e. what we normally know as "Green". If you look through the thread most people are giving prices for MGO (Green).

When you say dodgy do you suspect that they may be taking MGO then washing it and then adding the dye back in again afterwards to supply you with green??? Think it would be cheaper for them to supply you with White road diesel for your burner if thats the case :-)

Why would anyone supply "washed" diesel to a home burner when the source ingredient for washed diesel is MGO before any washing is carried out and paid for???

having gotten dirty diesel before - i am also a farmer- i know the places to get good quality fuel, you get what you pay for.... i use kerosene for my heating as i also run an aga cooker off it. kero is cleaner.. use mgo for the farm

I was the first person to use to word dodge in this thread...
    however at no stage did I suggest "dodgy oil"??!
    people jumping on the defensive fairly quickly... :rolleyes:

having gotten dirty diesel before - i am also a farmer- i know the places to get good quality fuel, you get what you pay for.... i use kerosene for my heating as i also run an aga cooker off it. kero is cleaner.. use mgo for the farm

Here's why I was confused. I saw your reference to Green prices.

I assume from the 2nd quote you were getting green for the Agri. A lot of people dont even know kero is recommended for home heating and not green.

not sure but is kero cheaper at the minute? just looked up campus, kero is €21 cheaper than mgo for 500 litres

not sure but is kero cheaper at the minute? just looked up campus, kero is €21 cheaper than mgo for 500 litres

You're dead right according to this site.

http://www.jonesoil.ie/

Select 500L of each type of fuel and the Kero comes out cheaper.

Kero = 434.50
    Green = 452.50

makes perfect sense so to use the fuel type the boiler was designed for.

Although some might claim the VAT back on the Green thats going into the boiler. naughty naughty) suppose you could always say it was to keep the sheepdog warm as he's an essential piece of farm equipment :D

Just saw this site too when I was googling the price of Kero. Seems to be regularly updated.

http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Louth.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

kormak wrote: »

I was the first person to use to word dodge in this thread...
    however at no stage did I suggest "dodgy oil"??!
    people jumping on the defensive fairly quickly... :rolleyes:

And you're a prime example of becoming defensive. I don't care what words you used, if I was speaking directly to you I'd have quoted you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Drog1

blingrhino wrote: »
    any names for good value for 600 litres of home heat oil in drogheda?
    what kinda price should i expect to pay

I just rang a crowd called Express Oil and they quoted €850 for 1000 ltr. They are delivering this afternoon, apparently deliver across louth, meath :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Yes

I have used Express oil, nice guy very helpfull came after tea to deliver as I was at work.gave me a 2012 Calendar
    I paid €430 for 500lt
    low call 0818891900.
    086 7766477

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I always buy MGO.

The last two fills had 7% Kerosnse added just in case it got super cold again.

Why MGO - well a lot of plumbers recommend it as it burns at a higher temperature and therefore we use less of it.

I personally find it much better than Kerosene in terms of getting more days out of a fill.

Not overly scientific but would go so far as to say MGO is about 25-30% more efficeint that Kerosense for us and if we upgrade from the current 180,000 BTU boiler to a cast iron one - the boiler could add another 25%.

In a nutshell 5000 litres of Kerosene to perhaps 2500-3000 litres MGO with the cast iron boiler.

The competent plumber needs to adjust your boiler for the MGO vs Kerosene. Our boiler is in the garage.

Good news is the cast iron boilers are not that expensive. Payback about 2 years.:)

Bit OT OP - apologies.

Advertisement