Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meatballs... different way

Options
  • 12-12-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

about to make some meatballs for tonite but instead of usual ones with tomato sauce i wanted to come up with something different... was thinking of adding cranberry and rosemary, anyone has better idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Swedish meatballs are lovely. You'll find loads of recipes in Google.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I love meatballs in pepper sauce. nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

Swedish meatballs are lovely. You'll find loads of recipes in Google.
    googled -got almost 22000000 results for meatbals, i bet 99% are 'meatballs in tomato sauce' ;)
    Thx Alex but i was looking for something more unusual, ended up making rosemary and cranberry meatballs with.... tomato sauce buit infused with mulled wine spices for christmasy twist... delicious combination.

tsuzmir wrote: »
    googled -got almost 22000000 results for meatbals, i bet 99% are 'meatballs in tomato sauce' ;)
    Thx Alex but i was looking for something more unusual, ended up making rosemary and cranberry meatballs with.... tomato sauce buit infused with mulled wine spices for christmasy twist... delicious combination.

Nah man, Swedish meatballs aren't like that at all. They're the business!

I'm not Swedish, but this recipe here is pretty close to other "authentic" ones I've seen:

They can be served with lingonberry sauce, which you can get in IKEA. As far as I can recall lingonberry sauce is not radically different from cranberry sauce.

You'll need to click on ""Watch on YouTube" to be able to see the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's a pretty authentic recipe (I did a residential Swedish course in Sweden a few years ago and did a Swedish cookery course as part of it!). The only thing I'd add that gives it an even more authentic Swedish taste for me would be some 'kryddpeppar' (ground allspice, or piment.) The Swedes use it a lot as well as, or in place of, normal black pepper.

One nice variation is to stuff a little bit of blue cheese into the middle of each ball before frying, and to serve with a 'sauce' made from simply gently melting some more blue cheese and single cream together in a pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

Alun wrote: »
    One nice variation is to stuff a little bit of blue cheese into the middle of each ball before frying, and to serve with a 'sauce' made from simply gently melting some more blue cheese and single cream together in a pan.
    oh i like that! i gotta try next time, sounds great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Those meatballs that you put jelly in the sauce are big around here, and I like them but my favorites are the ones you bake in the oven and then chuck into brown gravy and a handful of rice in the crock pot. A lady I used to work with made them when we had a bring in and they were gone in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Ikea sell the meatballs frozen too... :)

Alun wrote: »
    That's a pretty authentic recipe (I did a residential Swedish course in Sweden a few years ago and did a Swedish cookery course as part of it!). The only thing I'd add that gives it an even more authentic Swedish taste for me would be some 'kryddpeppar' (ground allspice, or piment.) The Swedes use it a lot as well as, or in place of, normal black pepper.

Yeah, you're right. Well spotted! When I made them myself I used the recipe from "The Prawn Cocktail Years" (an exceptional cookbook, I only recently noticed that it was co-written by Simon Hopkinson; The Good Cook) and it does actually call for allspice, not cinnamon.
    nesbitt wrote: »
    Ikea sell the meatballs frozen too... :)

I was there today and had some in their canteen... home-made ones taste better! :pac:

Advertisement