Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budding wannabe homesongmaker

• 12-12-2011 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

hey dudes, i play a small bit of guitar and a small bit of bass , and although not fully understanding the rules for writing a bass line for a guitar piece or a guitar piece for a bass line i want to record the two and play them back together to see if ive sussed it , there isnt alot online explaining how to write bass to fit a song (rules of it or whatnot), and its a nice little bass line id hate to do away with it just to hit the e string 4 times flat.
    anybody know of a free program i can download for this
    or have any advice atall??there must be a formula
    any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

There are no real rules in music, apart from staying in key, and keeping time properly (whatever ****ed up time signature you may use). It would be boring as **** otherwise.
    And you're looking for a computer program to write basslines for you???
    Really what you need is serious experimenting, patience, and lots of learning. There's no "easy way around it" I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

i was looking for a music program that would let me record the bass then record a guitar track over it , found one
    i had a bass line and was wondering how you wrote a guitar riff around it , if the bAss starts with d note and the guitar starts with a d note and they are both the same length of time will anything work??

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do you have an actual song written, or are you looking to build a song? Whereabouts are you based?

based in coolock in dublin
    i dont have a song built
    i have a bass line
    and what i think is the guitar that needs to go with it
    im not long on the guitar (playing open chords)
    im ok on bass (can play it handy enough if im reading riffs off a tab)
    but i never had lessons (lack of mullah) so im not really sure how you put all the different instruments together if you get me
    im basicallly trying to write a song but am stuck with a bass line or else a guitar progression and not knowing what to do with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There are no real rules in music, apart from staying in key, and keeping time properly

Nope, neither of those are rules ;)

Tonal harmony was broken by the 1890s and timekeeping is always open to interpretation - look up accelerando or rallentando, and rubato. Some really cool embellishment can come from knowing when not to keep time..

OP, if you're looking to know 'how' to write basslines, play along with your favourite songs and see how the bassline fits with the rest of the music. I'd also recommend learning some theory but that mightn't be everyone's bag. If you do want to do a bit of study on it, check out The AB Guide to Music Theory by Eric Taylor, great intro to Western harmony and notation and all.

Also, I think you'll get a better response on this topic over in Playing & Techniques & Theory, so I'll move the thread over now.

• Advertisement

time is not the problem,,,, i have a bass line and i want to add guitar to see what the song would sound like ,
    anyone that plays bass would know a good bass line could make a song but a bass on its own doesnt do much use unless you are someone like flea
    im trying to tab a bass line with guitar chords id choose for it to see if im right but boards seems to not like guitar tabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Why not try the demo version of Guitar Pro or Tux Guitar? They will let you do exactly that and, in Guitar Pro's case, a lot more besides. I use it quite a bit so if you do start using it be sure to post up any questions you might have.
    cloptrop wrote:
    boards seems to not like guitar tabs
    It's the posting of copyrighted material that is the problem, not guitar tabs themselves. There's nothing stopping you posting up your own tabs.

ok try this
    here is a simple bass line
    e
    a--5---7 ----9
    7----9
    7----9----9--9--0---7---5
    d
    g

im not interested in how good the line is or how nice the genre of music would be im just wondering how you go about adding the guitar to this

anyone have any ideas on what chords i would use for this and why ???
    it starts with a d note so i take it guitar needs to start with a d note
    the 3 measures later you get a g note so id change to g there for 3 and 3 measures then im lost,,,,,,,am i on the right tract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Totally winging it here but anyway...

You could try a G major 7 chord instead of regular G major, this would include the F# note which is fret 9 on the A string on your bass.

Then switch to A after the 9-9-9 and back to D to finish off

So you get something like D (1 bar) - Gmaj7 (2 bars) - A (half bar) - D (half bar)

when you say the gmaj7 chord includes the f# , im lost
    is this just a theory thing that i need to learn before i start trying fly this musical plane or am i just missing something simple
    thanks for your time though

• Advertisement

cloptrop: Do you play left-handed or is there another reason why your tab is written upside down? I thought you'd used a very odd tuning until it dawned on me that the low E was at the top :).

As for the question about F#, these are the notes in the G Major scale: G, A, B, C, D, E, F♯, G.
    A major chord contains the first, third and fifth (per the above that's G, B, D).
    A major seventh chord contains the first, third, fifth and seventh (per the above that's G, B, D, F#).

Note that the above is probably not quite right and someone far more knowledgeable will no doubt come along with a better explanation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

You don't need to know any theory except what sounds good to you. But I find it helps a lot (and I don't know all that much), it's a bit like having a map handy when exploring some place new.

What Malice said looks exactly right to me. I suggested the maj7 chord because it includes the bass note you used. If it doesn't sound right for the tune forget I said it :)

ill try it out later when i canuse the recording program without the baby climbing on the computer and see how it sounds
    thanks
    think id better get lessons in the new year to get the theory over and done with and stop avoiding it

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Nope, neither of those are rules ;)

Tonal harmony was broken by the 1890s and timekeeping is always open to interpretation - look up accelerando or rallentando, and rubato. Some really cool embellishment can come from knowing when not to keep time..
    That's why I said no real rules. :D
    But in fairness venturing out of key or relative keys is generally reserved for wanky try-hard music. I think we're getting at the same thing tbh.
    And by keeping time, I mean not being an eejit, and play something regular. Like you'd hear some people trying to play and they haven't an iota of timing.
    IDK, feel free to hurl abuse if you feel I've misinterpreted you :D

IDK, feel free to hurl abuse if you feel I've misinterpreted you :D

Okie dokie :p
    That's why I said no real rules. :D
    But in fairness venturing out of key or relative keys is generally reserved for wanky try-hard music.

Wanky try-hard music? So anyone who wants to have a go at something other than classical tonality is a wanker? I guess Sonic Youth, Radiohead, and Merzbow (off the top of my head) are all saps, along with every self-respecting classical composer since Wagner :pac:

its funny how every thread in the music section ends in an arguement,
    and yet neither of you put chords to the bassline

cloptrop wrote: »

Er, we're not arguing. Sorry, did you want us to write your songs for you?

im looking for you to show me how to put chords on a bass line
    i gave a sample bass line i was asking what chords would go with it and if there was any explainable reasons for this
    the bass line is not anything you would write a song around just waas trying to use something for an example

cloptrop: Please don't start giving out to other posters.

Now, back on-topic, I played around with the bassline you put up and ended up with this D-G-Em-A progression which is pretty simple. The rests aren't captured but listen to the attached MP3 and you'll get an idea of the rhythm.

[PHP]E |----||-2
    |
    |
    ||
    B |----||-3
    |
    3----|--2
    ||
    G |----||o2--2--2--2----|--0
    |
    2----|--2
    o||
    D |----||o0--0--0--0----|--0
    |--2--2--2--2--o||
    A |----||
    |--2--2--2--2----|--2
    |--0--0--0--0---||
    E |----||
    |--3--0--3--3----|--0--0--0
    |
    ||
    [/PHP]

[PHP]G |----||
    |
    |
    |
    ||----||
    D |----||o
    |
    |
    |
    o||----||
    A |----||o5
    |
    |
    2--5----|
    7--9--o||----||
    E |----||
    0--2----|--3
    3----|--0
    ||----||

[/PHP]

if there was any explainable reasons for this

There are loads of reasons, and you could say 'rules' if you wanted to, but everything's bendable/breakable. Let's say we're sticking to straight up strict tonal harmony;

You're in D major
    We have the notes;
    D E F# G A B C#

You're asking for chords for your bassline, so look at what notes are in your bassline, and pick chords that have notes in common with the bass. In D major we have the chords (in this kind of harmony stuff chords are often written as roman numerals according to what number note/degree of the scale they are - capital for major, lower case for minor);

I - D major - D F# A
    ii - E minor - E G B
    iii - F# minor - F# A C#
    IV - G major - G B D
    V - A major - A C# E
    vi - B minor - B D F#
    vii - C# diminished - C# E G

(these chords are called triads - they have 3 notes. Most basic kind of chord, used absolutely everywhere (in tonal music), worth understanding!)

So your bassline starts on D - pick a D chord. That'll sound good 'cause it establishes the key of the music at the start and has a note in common with the bass.

V - I (A major - D major here) might sound good for when you want to finish the music - going from chord V to chord I is called a perfect cadence and makes the most 'finished' sound of all chord progressions. You've heard a million perfect cadences even if you didn't know it. It sounds good 'cause the A - D (V - I) movement is 'strong', and the C# in the V chord here only has to move up one semitone to D, the note of I. This is 'resolution', you can hear it easily 'cause the C# sounds kinda unbalanced and then shifting it up to D balances it all out.

vi (B minor here) is the relative minor key (minor keys are a bit more complicated, 'cause there are three kinds of minor scale, but don't worry about that now), it's the strongest minor 'cause its natural minor has all the notes in common with D major (you just count them from B if you want to use B minor). So if you want to have a minor section of a song, have a go at the chord of vi. Maybe to build some tension before the big finish or whatever. Play B minor and see how it sounds.

IV is another really strong chord (er, by strong, I mean unambiguous, balanced, 'right', whatever way you might hear it). If you want a happy-sounding, harmonically simple bit of music, try using I, IV and V (listen to Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones - I - I - IV - V).

Er so I've gone a bit off topic. There's a very quick summary of explanations for why chords 'work' when others 'don't'.

As for picking your chords for your bassline, try picking them with notes in common first. Maybe you could leave notes out of the guitar part to let the bass part fill them in. (Say you have a D in the bass, the guitar only needs to play F# and A to have a full D major triad). Or then if you had D in the bass and you play A and C#, you've got a Dmaj7 chord, without the fifth (A) note.

Play around with this stuff and try every different combination you can think of - you can get some really cool stuff if you figure out ways of leaving notes out or spreading a chord across loads of instruments. Also, try not to think of it as Instrument 1 = chords, Instrument 2 = bassline, Instrument 3 = lead line or whatever. Think of every instrument as its own line that come together to make the harmonies you want, and figure out nice ways for the separate lines to move around each other and come together and go apart and all. When I want to write like that, I find it easiest to write a chord progression first at a piano, with no rhythm, just hitting the chord once at the start of each bar), then figuring out what rhythms I want in the song, then putting the rhythm and harmony together as a separate phase of songwriting.

Of course you mightn't agree with any of what I like - figure out your own way. And sorry if I came across as patronising, I was just trying to explain stuff relatively thoroughly. And absolutely none of these are rules at all, break them all. You know what, just don't listen to me, go play some ****en tunes :pac:

• Advertisement

thanks dudes , i think i need too join a band as a bass player or something to learn a bit of basic theory cause even scales are foreign to me , so even when you spell it out for me im still gonna look at ye like you just told me to pee in the corner of a circular room
    the example 2 posts above i can fit the sample bass line into and it sounds right , the problem is i have no idea why , which says to me all i will ever have iss good sounding bass lines or good sounding chords but never both
    maybe its something ill pick up over time
    really makes you wonder though , the legend of the likes of kurt cobain finding a guitar and naturally leading a band is really a load of horse **** they must have known something

they must have known something

Well yeah :pac:

If you got a book on music theory or something this stuff would start to make sense to you. It's not that complicated, just a little abstract at first. It's entirely possible to write great tunes without know this stuff, but I think it's way more interesting to understand it all, and the results are usually a little more interesting :)

Okie dokie :p

Wanky try-hard music? So anyone who wants to have a go at something other than classical tonality is a wanker? I guess Sonic Youth, Radiohead, and Merzbow (off the top of my head) are all saps, along with every self-respecting classical composer since Wagner :pac:
    Well, I definitley misunderstood what you were saying. I love Sonic Youth.
    What I had in mind when you mentioned breaking tonal harmony was free-form jazz. Fucck. That. ****.
    I'm not great with remembering terms (grammatical or musical) even if I understand how a linguistic/musical application works.

Also in relation to OP, WHAT I DO is just first take the bass notes of a song, learn em, and really just **** around with that until I get something I like.

What I had in mind when you mentioned breaking tonal harmony was free-form jazz. Fucck. That. ****.

Tonal harmony is using the 7 notes of the key you're in, if you start sharpening/flattening notes you're breaking tonality, then you can get totally out of it and go atonal, spectral, serialist... All so lovely :) (Not saying that tonality isn't lovely ;) )

And as for free jazz... But it's so deadly!

Tonal harmony is using the 7 notes of the key you're in, if you start sharpening/flattening notes you're breaking tonality, then you can get totally out of it and go atonal, spectral, serialist... All so lovely :) (Not saying that tonality isn't lovely ;) )

And as for free jazz... But it's so deadly!
    Yeah basically it makes music interesting

be kind its my first attempt at ever recording something i made up myself
    any pointers would be nice , it is just me trying to make my bass line have chords and lead guitar
    its me playing all them (the wonders of recording)
    i basically need someone who knows what their doing to tell me if im going the right way or the wrong way and if the latter offer me directions

if someone put lyrics or a proper electric solo on it id be really happy
    awh i have to wait for youtube to give it the ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I find it easiest to write a chord progression first at a piano, with no rhythm, just hitting the chord once at the start of each bar), then figuring out what rhythms I want in the song, then putting the rhythm and harmony together as a separate phase of songwriting.

This is how I like to work. I find it's like laying the foundations of a house. But of course the chords can be substituted for alternatives later if required but to create a loose framework of chords to build the other parts on first is easier than writing riffs or basslines and trying to do it the other way round IMO.

Also, doing this at a piano helps me visualise the chordal movement.

El Pr0n's post, while it may seem a little complicated from a beginner's point of view, it has a lot of very valuable info in there. You should really read it over a few times (at a keyboard if possible, again to help you visualise the patterns) and let it sink in as this info will really help you add structure and movement to your music in a logical way.

Most pop / rock songs are written using the chords mentioned in EL Pr0n's post. Have a look at the chords to some pop or rock tunes and see if you can spot the I, IV, V and iv chords being used. This will give you an idea how others have used chordal movement to write tunes. (Obviously, remember that there exceptions that wont fit neatly in this box but it's the exceptions that make music interesting.)

EDIT: If you want to learn about theory I'd suggest either getting a teacher or buying yourself a book. I bought the following book before I began my music degree and it was a MASSIVE help! The book helped me fill in a few holes in my theory. It takes you from the basics of learning to read the notes on the staff up to Bach Chorales (at the advanced harmony end of the scale) at a pace that is easy to follow. It can seem like a long process, but a step at a time. Once you have the knowledge, it will be invaluable and completely work the effort!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Right-Way-Read-Music/dp/0716020084/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324547154&sr=1-2

my youtube example must be poo cause nobody said anything about it lmao , atleast if somebody said it was crap i could say awh theyre just haters ha. the fact that people just seem to be ignoring it makes me think that people are embarrassed for me , kinda like smiling and nodding when somebody tells a brutal joke
    it starts with a g note in the bass my guitar goes g f f g
    would this mean i chose I-II-II-I
    is this my bad?
    im not looking for anybody to tell me its the most awesome loop ever , i even missed the notes in some part , thats not whats important , im more looking for the theory advice , haha i even applied to a band with my audition on another thread just for a joke but the dude wouldnt even slate it , which is worse than saying nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I didn't comment on your clips because I haven't heard them. I'm at work at the minute so youtube is blocked. I'll have a listen when I'm home and give my opinion.

Advertisement