Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Nypd wrote: »
    One thing worth noting and it's a major point that's being missed in this whole discussion, when these works were planned they were never intended to run on this long.
    The original contractor went bust right ?
    City council are hardly to blame for this, they would have originally planned all this to be finished in time for the main tourist season.
    If they get the boulevard look right it will be a great addition to the city, lets hope the good works in the Viking triangle and they quays spread through out the city.
    It will take a few years but Waterford will bounce back.

We wait with baited breath........but this City doesn't HAVE a few years. Unfortunately.

Sully wrote: »
    You completely missed my point. Ambulances treat the road like any other road around Waterford. Always did. There was never a dedicated lane or easy access for them!

Not the point at all. The Quays were completely ambulance friendly. What now? Divert an ambulance coming from Ferrybank across the Outer Ring Road? Sweet Jesus.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I an trying to remain positive but I an listening to tourists complaining about the quay solidly for the last 2 Weeks.

Tourists stay where they know, the come across the bridge and expect to park on the quay and go shopping, when this goes to put they just give up.

think about when cork introduced the one way systems first, I used to avoid town and just go to Wilton.

All it will take will be some bad Trip Advisor reviews.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

-+-=7up free

I noted the fact you couldn't answer anything I said. That proves my point.

Didn't have to. Your smug statement said it better than anyone else could.
    Did Waterford City Council increase the rates in Waterford? Did Waterford City Council cause high unemployment? Did Waterford City Council cause people not to have money and not shop in Waterford? No. Its a national issue of which Waterford has badly been impacted.

Absolute rubbish. Look at the towns around us. Thriving.
    Again this project due to the size and nature of it would cause massive impact regardless of the time of year it was completed. You can't do it during the summer, you can't do it during the run up to Christmas, you can't do it in the New Year the schools are back, you can't do it during the summer tourists are about. So when do we do it?

Size and nature? Some kerbing, a roundabout, and a few trees. Yeah, it rivals the pyramids.

People can take the bypass if they want to avoid the city centre roadworks. The vast majority of traffic heading down the quay isn't going to the shops or the car parks, its going over the bridge and leaving Waterford. There is nothing stopping these cars from taking a left turn to head up towards City Square Car Park or the street parking along this area or a right turn to pop into the car parks along the quay. Nor is the roadworks stopping people parking in New Street Car Park or the Aldi Car Park up by the forum.

You don't really get the whole "convenience" aspect of tourism. Do you?
    So people are not going down the quay and deciding 'Feck it, its chaotic, ill keep driving through the road works and go to Kilkenny'. When there on the quay, its very easy and straight forward to park up without huge delay.

Therefore, the road works are not impacting on businesses substantially to cause them to close. The two examples thrown about - one closed well before the road works and the other closed shortly after the road works began but didn't blame them road works. They blamed people not shopping locally full stop and it wasn't a knee jerk choice but something considered over a period of time (which is usually the case in business).

Waterford has always, for years, had a problem with people not shopping locally. Roadworks or no roadworks.

And boy are we doing our best not to make it any easier.
    As above, nothing stopping tourists parking on the quays, City Square, or anything. All car parks well sign posted so 'I don't know the City' isn't an excuse. A lot tourists are coming in buses to hotels. A lot of tourists I meet here in Tramore have no interest in going into Waterford apart from Waterford Crystal (that's all they know about Waterford) which is frustrating.

Right, so let's say "feck the tourists visiting in cars". I give up.

Well business groups and the city council have run numerous campaigns and initiatives in recent years to get people shopping locally and reducing car park pricing and giving discounts and deals during certain periods of the week and day. Local media and digital media have been blasted with this in recent years.

Reducing charges. At 5:00pm on a Friday.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    -+-=7up free

Don't give up the day job!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Guys, can I please remind you to attack the post, not the poster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's like talking to a brick wall with you 7up, so ill pass on replying.

Its business as usual in Waterford and lets hope the city will get a boost sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Its business as usual in Waterford and lets hope the city will get a boost sometime soon.

Are you for real? Business as usual? There's **** all businesses left. The city council & they're planners have ruined it. I suppose everyone is wrong are they? Can you honestly say you're happy with what is going on in the city? If you are...you're the only one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Motivator wrote: »
    Are you for real? Business as usual? There's **** all businesses left. The city council & they're planners have ruined it. I suppose everyone is wrong are they? Can you honestly say you're happy with what is going on in the city? If you are...you're the only one.

I'm not suggesting we don't have a pre-existing problem but its business as usual as it has been with no major difference as a result of roadworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Now their complaining about been moved from outside Kelly's to the Granville in order for the works to be completed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Now their complaining about been moved from outside Kelly's to the Granville in order for the works to be completed.:rolleyes:

OMG that must be less than 100 metres, how can they possibly expect people to walk that far. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

7upfree wrote: »
    Your business is not closing. I hope you're always that snug Sully.

I dont know Sully i dont really ever have any interactions with Sully but your constant shots towards Sully are getting really boring and silly can you not go on any thread that Sully is on and not pop shots in Sullys direction. You seem to get off on it and i think i might be speaking for most of the posters when i say YOUR OBSESSION IS GETTING BORING YOU DERAIL EVERY THREAD YOU GO ON SO PLEASE DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE AND MAYBE TAKE UP WATCHING PAINT DRY AS IM SURE IT WILL SATISFY YOU MORE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I'm not suggesting we don't have a pre-existing problem but its business as usual as it has been with no major difference as a result of roadworks.

That seems like a very naive suggestion or perhaps you're playing devils advocate, either way I doubt the few remaining business owners on the quay would agree.

Any business owner will acknowledge that even the smallest negative change in circumstances has a direct impact on their income - they will have less of the less that they already have. For businesses on the quay its most likely to be caused by the inevitable drop in passing trade; I sure there maybe the exception to the rule but thats what it would be, the exception.

That seems like a very naive suggestion or perhaps you're playing devils advocate, either way I doubt the few remaining business owners on the quay would agree.

Any business owner will acknowledge that even the smallest negative change in circumstances has a direct impact on their income - they will have less of the less that they already have. For businesses on the quay its most likely to be caused by the inevitable drop in passing trade; I sure there maybe the exception to the rule but thats what it would be, the exception.

Which is why I said 'major'.:)

danjo-xx wrote: »

Now there's a surprise!

S28382 wrote: »
    I dont know Sully i dont really ever have any interactions with Sully but your constant shots towards Sully are getting really boring and silly can you not go on any thread that Sully is on and not pop shots in Sullys direction. You seem to get off on it and i think i might be speaking for most of the posters when i say YOUR OBSESSION IS GETTING BORING YOU DERAIL EVERY THREAD YOU GO ON SO PLEASE DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE AND MAYBE TAKE UP WATCHING PAINT DRY AS IM SURE IT WILL SATISFY YOU MORE.

Great contribution as always. Caps lock!! I'm REALLY scared now!!!!:D

I would have the same contempt for ANYONE who minimises either job losses or the impact on anyone's job. There but for the grace of God go any of us. Just hope it never crosses your door my friend.

This is why it's called a discussion. Some people agree with it - others don't. So we should just sit back and accept it?

And do come back when you have a constructive point to make.:)

Precisely. Unless you walk a mile in someone's shoes you're in no position to dismiss it out of hand really.

Nypd wrote: »
    One thing worth noting and it's a major point that's being missed in this whole discussion, when these works were planned they were never intended to run on this long.
    The original contractor went bust right ?
    City council are hardly to blame for this, they would have originally planned all this to be finished in time for the main tourist season.
    If they get the boulevard look right it will be a great addition to the city, lets hope the good works in the Viking triangle and they quays spread through out the city.
    It will take a few years but Waterford will bounce back.

Kilkenny halted any town centre works from June 1st to September 30th.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The plans for the Quays are good and being constructed of quality materials the traffic flows will be better when this job is completed with no left turns onto the Quays end of , all other talk is so much BS.
    I really am sick of the whinging on here by one or two in particular leave it out lads or go out in the carpark and sort it out.

From your perspective. Many locals don't see it like that. So get back in your box.

• Advertisement

Great contribution as always. Caps lock!! I'm REALLY scared now!!!!:D

I would have the same contempt for ANYONE who minimises either job losses or the impact on anyone's job. There but for the grace of God go any of us. Just hope it never crosses your door my friend.

This is why it's called a discussion. Some people agree with it - others don't. So we should just sit back and accept it?

And do come back when you have a constructive point to make.:)

Haha :D and your arguments/points are the stuff of legends i just love reading them....oh wait i dont because all you do is whinge and moan and you seem to get a boner from attacking Sully why is that?

This thread is about the construction on the quay and you come along and start showing your love for Sully, look we get it you have a thing going on but jesus control yourself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I think the quay will look wonderful when everything finishes, and I find parking easier now then ever before, back in the 80's I'd have to park up in Ballybricken if I wanted to shop on the Quay. In my opinion to say Waterford's downfall is partly down to the city council is a load of rubbish. Its clear to most that people are not spending their money anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^^ good....(would this be a bad time to mention the plan to close all the carparks and move parking to the gas works!)

S28382 wrote: »
    Haha :D and your arguments/points are the stuff of legends i just love reading them....oh wait i dont because all you do is whinge and moan and you seem to get a boner from attacking Sully why is that?

This thread is about the construction on the quay and you come along and start showing your love for Sully, look we get it you have a thing going on but jesus control yourself. ;)

If you actually read the thread you will see that it is quite the opposite to what you perceive.:)

Now, seeing as it's about construction, have you a constructive point to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

While I rarely agree with Sully, 7upfree is wrecking my(and everyone elses) head beyond belief.

Yes the roadworks are taking an absurdly long time, yes its completely ridiculous but they'll be done soon enough, get over it.

Traffic is beyond bad in Galway yet never once have I ever heard a tourist mention the traffic when speaking about the place. Likewise I cannot remember one single traffic jam I have ever been in whilst on holiday.

If the traffic is the one thing you remember about a city when you visit then you’re doing it wrong and hopefully we are doing it right.

As for businesses suffering on the quay, I actually don’t remember the last time I've seen the quay so bustling with restaurants, bars, cafes, hotels and shops. Granted Johnnys Hearns and Kellys are closed but the top end near the bridge seems to be doing ok.

If you actually read the thread you will see that it is quite the opposite to what you perceive.:)

Now, seeing as it's about construction, have you a constructive point to make?

Your really good at linking words to make up your clever comebacks did you learn that in special school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

O Riain wrote: »
    While I rarely agree with Sully, 7upfree is wrecking my(and everyone elses) head beyond belief.

He's not wrecking mine. He makes valid points.

From your perspective. Many locals don't see it like that. So get back in your box.

Say's you, an opinion, based on?
    Mine is an opinion based on 35 years of construction and engineering and 20 years of planning civil engineering work, I'm quite happy in my box talking about a topic I know whereas you .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Think this thread will last longer than the " Traffic mess on the Quay".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

decies wrote: »
    Think this thread will last longer than the " Traffic mess on the Quay".

...and cause more annoyance! :rolleyes:

Advertisement