Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

CopyofDSC09567_zpsdf658580.jpg

You could sow your spuds in there too.

Is the footpath in the centre unlevel , and leaning towards the river , or are my eyes deceiving me .?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

for the water runoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

CopyofDSC09567_zpsdf658580.jpg

You could sow your spuds in there too.

Is the footpath in the centre unlevel , and leaning towards the river , or are my eyes deceiving me .?

Sweet Jesus. Seriously.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Quay Works not due to be fully completed until November, but will be before the Winterval festival.

The island down the middle is looking very nice now, I assume this part is just about ready. All paved, new soil, nice and tidy.

CopyofDSC09790_zps06f83c61.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I presume its at a slope because the road itself is slightly sloped so i dont think they could of leveled the island and have one side of the kerbing higher than the other. Jesus imagine the uproar here if they did that.

Sully wrote: »
    Quay Works not due to be fully completed until November, but will be before the Winterval festival.

The island down the middle is looking very nice now, I assume this part is just about ready. All paved, new soil, nice and tidy.

Yep. It only took six months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Yep. It only took six months.

Next time, be sure to put in a tender for any public work like this. Or at least recommend your gardener friend. We can then be assured we wont have a repeat of this thread as the work will be done in like a week. Probably less but just in case, we will give a week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Next time, be sure to put in a tender for any public work like this. Or at least recommend your gardener friend. We can then be assured we wont have a repeat of this thread as the work will be done in like a week. Probably less but just in case, we will give a week. :D

There is a cut to you a Waterford Crystal craftsman would be proud of!!!!!!

CopyofDSC09790_zps06f83c61.jpg

Just to let you know that we had a lovely traffic island like this one , down our neck of the woods , and it proved to be very popular as a platform for protesters .

It was quickly removed the day after the Irish Free Palestine Movement spent a day on it protesting .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Will this island run the length of the quay up to the bridge or is it just going to clock tower.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Will this island run the length of the quay up to the bridge or is it just going to clock tower.

If it was to run from clock tower to bridge , just add another 12 months to finishing time :)

It couldn't be any worse than what's gone on here really.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ah come on, November, it will be November 2014 at the current rate of progress.:o

danjo-xx wrote: »

Apparently there is no funding for clock tower to the bridge
    (No surprise there with the way FG are treating Waterford at present).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Does this mean there is no plans at all to start the Gladstone roundabout?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Does this mean there is no plans at all to start the Gladstone roundabout?

As far as I know. Can anyone confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Finishing the tarmac and taking down the temporary fencing this evening looks like that phase maybe finished this week!

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Finishing the tarmac and taking down the temporary fencing this evening looks like that phase maybe finished this week!

And not before time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

And not before time!!

You are fair annoying.

• Advertisement

And not before time!!

True,

but early apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Our mumbling, stuttering clown of a mayor can't give a proper explanation as to why this whole construction on the quay started in the first place. Can anyone here give an actual proper answer? It is the most idiotic piece of planning/construction ever to take place I the town. The area of the town that sees most traffic is now single lane & a bottleneck. Those scumbags who took TK Maxx out of the business park on the cork road as they claimed it was taking business from the city centre, now the city council are forcing people back out of the city. This town is a joke & the council have ruined it. The likes of halligan & Mary roache mouthing off for ages & then when their time came to be mayor they did nothing. It pisses me off so much to see the way the town is gone. The council telling us to shop local, can I ask where? There's no shops left.

What annoys me most is the typical attitude waterford people have, they'll knock everything & bitch about everything but they'll do nothing. If this was any other city protests would have started ages ago. The rise in the rates should have signalled the start of unrest in the city. But no, people would much rather do nothing but complain day & night about the "cowncil".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Motivator wrote: »
    Our mumbling, stuttering clown of a mayor can't give a proper explanation as to why this whole construction on the quay started in the first place. Can anyone here give an actual proper answer? It is the most idiotic piece of planning/construction ever to take place I the town. The area of the town that sees most traffic is now single lane & a bottleneck. Those scumbags who took TK Maxx out of the business park on the cork road as they claimed it was taking business from the city centre, now the city council are forcing people back out of the city. This town is a joke & the council have ruined it. The likes of halligan & Mary roache mouthing off for ages & then when their time came to be mayor they did nothing. It pisses me off so much to see the way the town is gone.
    What annoys me most is the typical attitude waterford people have, they'll knock everything & bitch about everything but they'll do nothing. If this was any other city protests would have started ages ago. The rise in the rates should have signalled the start of unrest in the city. But no, people would much rather do nothing but complain day & night about the "cowncil".

Isn't that exactly what you just did in your first paragraph? Do enlighten us to what you are doing about it?
    The council telling us to shop local, can I ask where? There's no shops left.

Slight exaggeration there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Our mumbling, stuttering clown of a mayor can't give a proper explanation as to why this whole construction on the quay started in the first place. Can anyone here give an actual proper answer? It is the most idiotic piece of planning/construction ever to take place I the town. The area of the town that sees most traffic is now single lane & a bottleneck. Those scumbags who took TK Maxx out of the business park on the cork road as they claimed it was taking business from the city centre, now the city council are forcing people back out of the city. This town is a joke & the council have ruined it. The likes of halligan & Mary roache mouthing off for ages & then when their time came to be mayor they did nothing. It pisses me off so much to see the way the town is gone. The council telling us to shop local, can I ask where? There's no shops left.

Some massive irony in your post,

Whilst the situation with TK Maxx was abit of a farce as in all honesty it shouldn't have got the go ahead out where it did, the council wanting it back in town did make sense in many respects especially when it comes to footfall in the town centre.

The quay situation also needed to be changed, whilst it may have gone on longer then it should have there is no "right time" to do such works and there's no way you can carry out such works without causing any traffic problems.

Part of the change is to put HGV's going down the quays, to make it less attractive to them to go through the center of the city. HGV's going through a city or town add nothing to the place and putting them off the city centre is a good thing.

The VAST majority of HGV's that take the route don't have to as they either have no business in Waterford or they are going to the IDA in which case they should be taking the bypass.

As for places to shop, there's plenty of places to shop.

Now if you want to take the cop out and not support any local business by claiming there's no place to shop then go right ahead....but there are plenty of local business in Waterford that can be supported,

hgv s take the quay when they won't pay for the toll.

thenew roundabout came about due to money being made available for a green route starting out the dunmore rd and ending at the bridge. only the money wad released in bits so god knows when the rest will be done.

i remember reading it was 2 consultants in Dublin who examined the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly what you just did in your first paragraph? Do enlighten us to what you are doing about it?

Slight exaggeration there.

very funny! was thinking same. + nearly everyone most on here think the works are a great idea, slow but great when done. there is so much wrong with that previous post, its funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

So you're all saying you're happy with the way the town is being managed? I'm sorry but that's the only funny thing I can see. The town is a joke, penny's is the only shop actually doing a decent trade in the city centre I think that tells it's own story.

O Riain wrote: »
    You are fair annoying.

Back at ya!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Back at ya!:D
    I'd say he's devastated after that riposte cut to the quick even!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you're all saying you're happy with the way the town is being managed? I'm sorry but that's the only funny thing I can see. The town is a joke, penny's is the only shop actually doing a decent trade in the city centre I think that tells it's own story.

In fairness, for somebody that hates people that bitch and moan about stuff and just knock anything, you've not actually said one positive thing in the last two posts.

Advertisement