Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I'm certainly not happy about it. The town is being supremely mis-managed.

The City Council are responsible for a plethora of foolish decisions and policies, all of which are culminating in destroying the city centre, and wasting huge amounts of money in the process.

Unlike other cities/towns of similar sizes which are bustling in comparison, Waterford seems tired, deserted, full of non-shops and, well, terminally ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I think when its finished it will look great but now well its just depressing :(

15070_620628577987459_2047911839_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=620628577987459&set=a.570312239685760.1073741830.554680591248925&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Already people are starting to cross the road at Kellys. I'm sorry to put a damper on this but I honestly fear a person will be knocked down.

Letter to the council tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

What I've noticed - and what is becoming *really* dangerous - is that taxis can no longer do u-turns anywhere from their rank outside Kellys.

Instead, I've seen taxis force to the top of the lights by the Clock Tower and then do a u-turn in the split-second between the pedestrian lights, and when the traffic lights go green. :confused: :eek:

That is going to cause an accident soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

I said that to trader today that it will encourage people to Jay walking , am sure the lights shining up at the trees will look lovely at night down the centre .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Already people are starting to cross the road at Kellys. I'm sorry to put a damper on this but I honestly fear a person will be knocked down.

Gardai would be more appropriate, its upto them to enforce the jay walking law in this country.

Its easy blame the jaywalking on the council, but in reality its a lack of respect of laws in this country. People don't see a big deal doing 80km in a 50km zone so why should they give a monkeys about jay walking?

This is why we can't have nice things in this country,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    What I've noticed - and what is becoming *really* dangerous - is that taxis can no longer do u-turns anywhere from their rank outside Kellys.

Instead, I've seen taxis force to the top of the lights by the Clock Tower and then do a u-turn in the split-second between the pedestrian lights, and when the traffic lights go green. :confused: :eek:

There should be no u-turning on a road as busy as the quay in the first place. If this reduces u-turning, all the better. If they are doing it at lights then gardai should pull them up for dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Max Powers wrote: »
    There should be no u-turning on a road as busy as the quay in the first place. If this reduces u-turning, all the better. If they are doing it at lights then gardai should pull them up for dangerous driving.

Absolutely - the u-turning of taxis there is crazy. Also, people who pull into that 'space' between AIB and the old Halifax branch, then magically think they can u-turn from there, too.

I understand that any new road layout needs a period of adjustment as people get used to it. A garda presence at the Clock Tower for say a fortnight (and even just at busier times/rush hour) who would actively police the traffic craziness and fine jaywalkers would be ideal. Never, ever going to happen, though.

Can we get this outside Centra, too? ;) Most locals know never to switch into the left-hand lane going up the Quay until you pass Dooleys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Absolutely - the u-turning of taxis there is crazy. Also, people who pull into that 'space' between AIB and the old Halifax branch, then magically think they can u-turn from there, too.

I understand that any new road layout needs a period of adjustment as people get used to it. A garda presence at the Clock Tower for say a fortnight (and even just at busier times/rush hour) who would actively police the traffic craziness and fine jaywalkers would be ideal. Never, ever going to happen, though.

Can we get this outside Centra, too? ;) Most locals know never to switch into the left-hand lane going up the Quay until you pass Dooleys :D

Haha yeah its funny seeing people caught out by that and the frantic indicating to get back into the other lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Cabaal wrote: »
    Gardai would be more appropriate, its upto them to enforce the jay walking law in this country.

Its easy blame the jaywalking on the council, but in reality its a lack of respect of laws in this country. People don't see a big deal doing 80km in a 50km zone so why should they give a monkeys about jay walking?

This is why we can't have nice things in this country,

I don't know if you are involved in planning but this is typical planning thinking as I see it. People speed through the quays, HGVs ignore the bypass so lets build smaller roads and put in loads of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings to make life so miserable they will all use different routes = A1 traffic planning. Oh! people are using the traffic islands for jaywalking and the trees as camoflage to surprise motorists = Stupid law-breaking civilians.

I agree people are stupid and lazy and, like water, will always find the path of least resistance. So could somebody please tell me if we keep making getting into the city centre harder and more frustrating why planners think this will encourage more people to go into the city centre to shop?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I agree people are stupid and lazy and, like water, will always find the path of least resistance. So could somebody please tell me if we keep making getting into the city centre harder and more frustrating why planners think this will encourage more people to go into the city centre to shop?

If that was the case then why do people in other countrys respect laws?

Its a society thing, not a human thing.

What solution do you have to stop jay walking using the middle island? Don't build it? Surround it with railings?

The setup on the quays can't remain the same as it has for years and years, its a farce. cars speeding through crossings, HGV's in area's they don't need to be in. Parking stopping an entire lane from being used by cyclists and motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Cabaal wrote: »
    If that was the case then why do people in other countrys respect laws?

Its a society thing, not a human thing.

What solution do you have to stop jay walking using the middle island? Don't build it? Surround it with railings?

The setup on the quays can't remain the same as it has for years and years, its a farce. cars speeding through crossings, HGV's in area's they don't need to be in. Parking stopping an entire lane from being used by cyclists and motorists.

I presume because in other countries they enforce even minor laws with great rigour. We don't. Why we don't and whether that makes us a better or worse society to live in is a completely different argument.

My point is that I am questioning why planners implement proposals based on our societal characteristics (ie we could just put a speed limit of 30KPH on the Quay, as in parts of Dublin, but it would just be ignored so we put in physical obstacles instead) then planners blame the public for the un-intended negative consequences that inevitably flow from the new layout. They can't have it both ways.

And all this is to drive traffic out of the Centre in order that more people will come into the Centre, apparently. I just can't see see that as a logical progression.

This thread has gone around in circles. why are we doing this, its taking too long, why are we doing this. reasons for both have been covered, long term plans for river area, current plans, delay reasons, all covered. Can the complaints about street back of Penneys begin, im sure people have major safety issues they want to get angry about, delays in getting from city sq to quay etc.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I was driving out of Conduit Lane last week and a taxi turned straight in to do a u-turn up the Quay.

Good idea. In fairness this was always going to happen. It is Ireland after all. You'd think the consultants would have spotted that one................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

The only other thing ill add to this is I hope the bus stop will be widened to have just a little bit more room, was down there yesterday and if anyone was not paying attention coming through the lights they could rear end what ever bus is waiting for passengers, absolute madness. And even if you are on the ball the jam the bus causes during loading and unloading is also ridiculous

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

What do ye suggest 2 metre high barrier down the middle of the Quays?
    have a bit of cop on people, jay walking on the Quays has always happened , I daresay will always happen has absolutely nothing to do with the recent roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

shinzon wrote: »
    The only other thing ill add to this is I hope the bus stop will be widened to have just a little bit more room, was down there yesterday and if anyone was not paying attention coming through the lights they could rear end what ever bus is waiting for passengers, absolute madness. And even if you are on the ball the jam the bus causes during loading and unloading is also ridiculous

Shin

Seriously, this is a shopping area, if you are driving and cannot notice a bus stopping what chance does a pedestrian have ?

i have never heard of a person getting fined for jaywalking in Ireland......ever .

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

wellboytoo wrote: »
    have a bit of cop on people, jay walking on the Quays has always happened , I daresay will always happen has absolutely nothing to do with the recent roadworks.

Even with the fencing along the quay while the building was going on, there was people trying to cross the road there.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »

I'm saving that comment!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

what's the big deal about the new improvements on the quay??...big improvement in my opinion...easier to turn on the quay...easier to turn into one of the side-streets/carparks...lots of moaning and complaining for the last few months for no good reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I wonder will they resurface the road, it would be a shame if they left it all patches

Nypd wrote: »
    I wonder will they resurface the road, it would be a shame if they left it all patches

yeah, would be good if they done it alright. they certainly need to get rid of some of the old white lines and that. The main area of work now seems to be on the path so nothing probably gonna happen until they are all well finished in area. Dont know if I can handle the whinging about it been done at 'this' time of year, 'never needed doing', they making a 'mess of quays', council wallys, waste of money, blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

What's the story with the widened path along the side of The Bridge Hotel/Treacy's Hotel?

Have they any idea how awkward they have made it for trucks turning onto O'Connell St from Bridge St? I mean the coaches were fine parking on Bridge St, now they're on O'Connell St and has made it way too narrow, especially since people seem to have no problem parking on both sides of the street.

Sorry rant over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I think we all can agree the worst part of the Quay is the Bridge and its that area that really needs looking at so hopefully what they are doing up there is going to be a positive step altho it might not seem that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Ledger wrote: »
    What's the story with the widened path along the side of The Bridge Hotel/Treacy's Hotel?

Have they any idea how awkward they have made it for trucks turning onto O'Connell St from Bridge St? I mean the coaches were fine parking on Bridge St, now they're on O'Connell St and has made it way too narrow, especially since people seem to have no problem parking on both sides of the street.

Sorry rant over...

I think thats the idea.

Keep HGVs out of the city?

Ledger wrote: »

Sorry rant over...

Kinda mad alright to remove the two bus unloading bays. The street was wide enough to cope with it.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I think thats the idea.

Keep HGVs out of the city?

Def seems to be the idea, but big shops need trucks to deliver goods, I was behind a lorry who decided to turn up Thomas St and got stuck at the new junction with Ann st. No idea where the lorry was going but I presume it was a local delivery.

Also we have a new island outside the Bridge hotel near the pedestrian crossing, cant really see why other than traffic calming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Also we have a new island outside the Bridge hotel near the pedestrian crossing, cant really see why other than traffic calming.

To stop people in the left lane on the bridge going straight up Bridge St when the right lane is waiting for someone to turn right? I can Bridge Street being turned into a single lane either way, and a 3rd lane from the centre of the bridge coming towards Bridge St to allow people to get into lane for turning right onto Bilberry. I think they're putting another island between the 2 lanes on Bridge Street itself too, judging by the way the cones were laid out at about 7.30pm tonight/last night.

And i also noticed that the road markings coming from the Tower Hotel up the Quay, along the new island, have been burned off, which would indicate to me that they don't intend on resurfacing the road, leaving it patchy...

Advertisement