Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

To stop people in the left lane on the bridge going straight up Bridge St when the right lane is waiting for someone to turn right? I can Bridge Street being turned into a single lane either way, and a 3rd lane from the centre of the bridge coming towards Bridge St to allow people to get into lane for turning right onto Bilberry. I think they're putting another island between the 2 lanes on Bridge Street itself too, judging by the way the cones were laid out at about 7.30pm tonight/last night.

And i also noticed that the road markings coming from the Tower Hotel up the Quay, along the new island, have been burned off, which would indicate to me that they don't intend on resurfacing the road, leaving it patchy...

But if they put 3 lanes on the bridge heading towards city , this will leave only 1 lane the other way exiting city .

Would that be enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

To stop people in the left lane on the bridge going straight up Bridge St when the right lane is waiting for someone to turn right? I can Bridge Street being turned into a single lane either way, and a 3rd lane from the centre of the bridge coming towards Bridge St to allow people to get into lane for turning right onto Bilberry. I think they're putting another island between the 2 lanes on Bridge Street itself too, judging by the way the cones were laid out at about 7.30pm tonight/last night.

And i also noticed that the road markings coming from the Tower Hotel up the Quay, along the new island, have been burned off, which would indicate to me that they don't intend on resurfacing the road, leaving it patchy...

saw that. its not bad in fairness. Maybe a square around clock tower area might need to be done but its not so bad that retarmacing entire length or even most of it is needed i reckon. The bits in towards the median where they cut the road have been filled in well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Def seems to be the idea, but big shops need trucks to deliver goods, I was behind a lorry who decided to turn up Thomas St and got stuck at the new junction with Ann st. No idea where the lorry was going but I presume it was a local delivery.

Also we have a new island outside the Bridge hotel near the pedestrian crossing, cant really see why other than traffic calming.

Or an obstacle course...........

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

But if they put 3 lanes on the bridge heading towards city , this will leave only 1 lane the other way exiting city .

Would that be enough ?

Below are my thoughts on the matter from my post on the Rice Bridge thread from Saturday - In a nutshell I think the outbound lane will expand back to 2 lanes once you get onto the opening span.
    Looking at the current layout of works I reckon the Bilberry traffic will have a dedicated filter lane on the bridge, possibly then with the bridge bound bridge st and the quay traffic being corralled / reduced to a single lane joining the bridge/then expanding back to two lanes once on the opening span to accommodate a filter lane for Bilberry. ( you can see bridge street is already reduced with the brewery side now incorporating a large curve as if to align traffic to the left lane on the bridge), this fits in with the council's plan to widen the Bilberry road from the bridge through to the Carrickpherish road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Interesting that people were jumping into the left lane and then undertaking the car turning right to continue up Bridge St. if that was the case the island is a very good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Interesting that people were jumping into the left lane and then undertaking the car turning right to continue up Bridge St. if that was the case the island is a very good idea.

Surely it's going to cause more traffic delays on the bridge then?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Gadgie wrote: »
    Surely it's going to cause more traffic delays on the bridge then?

It shouldn't really you never really have a traffic queue outbound bar something like four or five cars deep per lane at rushhour, but you do inbound for a variety of reasons, and extra lane inbound, with lane discipline measures such as Islands should all alleviate these issues, such as delays due to folk turning onto grattan quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I just heard of a German word that there isn't a direct translation for. It's "Schlimmbesserung" - it means doing something to improve things which ends up making things worse.

I predict that the work at the bridge end of the quay qualifies for this description.

Mark my words - whatever they do here will have to be undone and redone at least once, such is the skill of traffic planners in Waterford City Council.

They have quite a history of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I just heard of a German word that there isn't a direct translation for. It's "Schlimmbesserung" - it means doing something to improve things which ends up making things worse.

I predict that the work at the bridge end of the quay qualifies for this description.

Mark my words - whatever they do here will have to be undone and redone at least once, such is the skill of traffic planners in Waterford City Council.

They have quite a history of this.

We should be used to it by now, all I can describe them as is idiots. You'll have people patting them on the back then in a few months time when it is finished. I'm also waiting for people to give Martin Cullen credit for it. He skipped town long ago but I'm sure the great Martin gave the word for this work to be done all the way from Orlando.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Motivator wrote: »
    We should be used to it by now, all I can describe them as is idiots. You'll have people patting them on the back then in a few months time when it is finished. I'm also waiting for people to give Martin Cullen credit for it. He skipped town long ago but I'm sure the great Martin gave the word for this work to be done all the way from Orlando.

Can you maybe propose a solution for the bridge then? You have two inbound lanes to work with. Let's say, for argument's sake, that 70% of the traffic wants to turn left down the quays, 20% wants to go straight on up Bridge St. and 10% wants to turn right onto Grattan Quay.

Edit - let's assume that 65% of that traffic is coming from the North onto the station roundabout, and 35% from the South.

Fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Can you maybe propose a solution for the bridge then? You have two inbound lanes to work with. Let's say, for argument's sake, that 70% of the traffic wants to turn left down the quays, 20% wants to go straight on up Bridge St. and 10% wants to turn right onto Grattan Quay.

Fire away.

A well managed roundabout is the most obvious solution

A well managed roundabout is the most obvious solution

Is there space for a two lane roundabout?
    Would traffic be able to turn right off the quays onto the bridge?
    Will it be signal controlled? How about pedestrians?

I agree, a roundabout is the best idea there.

One lane if traffic would be able to turn right from the Quay, the right lane, the left lane would be for Bridge St an Bilberry. Coming the other way over the bridge, left lane for left and straight into Bridge st, right lane for Bilberry - proper roundabout rules.

There is less space on the east side of New Ross bridge, and they have a little roundabout.

Pedestrians: no prob with crossings well before the roundabout.

Seems simple enough to me.

I agree, a roundabout is the best idea there.

One lane if traffic would be able to turn right from the Quay, the right lane, the left lane would be for Bridge St an Bilberry. Coming the other way over the bridge, left lane for left and straight into Bridge st, right lane for Bilberry - proper roundabout rules.

There is less space on the east side of New Ross bridge, and they have a little roundabout.

Pedestrians: no prob with crossings well before the roundabout.

Seems simple enough to me.

I think the New Ross Bridge is one lane in both directions and on all approach roads, plus the main "straight on" exit is one way only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Irish motorists should be 'banned' from using roundabouts:D except me of course:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Jambo wrote: »
    It shouldn't really you never really have a traffic queue outbound bar something like four or five cars deep per lane at rushhour, but you do inbound for a variety of reasons, and extra lane inbound, with lane discipline measures such as Islands should all alleviate these issues, such as delays due to folk turning onto grattan quay.

Not sure I understand your message fully, but I was referring to the island that may prevent traffic wanting to go straight ahead 'undertaking' (or overtaking on the left) cars that are waiting to turn right onto Grattan Quay. I've done it many times before, and I don't see a problem as long as you're able to merge into the left lane safely.

Also, I've noticed that many people are still (very awkwardly) turning left off the Quay onto Bridge Street, despite the 'no left turn' signs on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Whats the big deal about not turning left there anyway? If you need to turn left do they want you to go across the bridge and around the roundabout to get in the proper lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

shockwave wrote: »
    Whats the big deal about not turning left there anyway? If you need to turn left do they want you to go across the bridge and around the roundabout to get in the proper lane?

Been like that for as long as i'm here, and it's a great idea. It's not that much hassle to go across the bridge and back again, and it's safer.

They seem to want to make that ped crossing the main on for the station people so not having a left turn at the hotel would give them a long window to have the green man.

Still waiting for a reply to my letter to WCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

My biggest concern with the works on the quay is it may look like a cheap job.

The reason for this is, I thought the new island running down the middle of the quay would include fancy paving stones, similiar to the ones outside waterford crystal or like the new paths on the quay.

Instead it is just cement which looks terrible IMO. The new round about at the GPO is the same. Surely the idea is to improve the image of the quay. Sticking a cement path down the middle of it would not improve the image.

It may look better once the trees are put in. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I would rather see the council keeping the funding and do their best to purchase the quay car parks and then look at sorting out the quay. It will always look a bit of a mess once the car parks are in place

• Advertisement

I notices that there are 3 different paving types on the island outside the Tower, the old tack shop and Kellys.

Maybe tey can try tie them all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

An island now on the bottom of Bridge Street, guess it is going to be one lane either way! Makes me hopeful for the filter lane for turning onto Bilberry from the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Makes me hopeful for the filter lane for turning onto Bilberry from the bridge.
    There's one planned - see plans:
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/misc/Greenroutes.pdf
    The overall scheme, which was well publicized a couple of years ago, will see a second roundabout at the Gladstone Street junction with a central median in between, improved pedestrian crossings, bus stops, cycle lanes, access to and from the side streets and car parks using filter lanes, improved footpaths on both sides of the quays, improvements to the public realm areas, tree planting and so on. This work will continue over the next 8 – 9 months and should be finished by late Spring 2014.
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/green-route.htm

^^^ thanks a mil for that I've been looking for it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Chiparus wrote: »
    I think thats the idea.

Keep HGVs out of the city?

That's all well and good.

....until you realise that just about every shop/business needs deliveries. Stock doesn't just appear out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

danjo-xx wrote: »
    haven't seen it yet but the pic looks horrible..... stuck up high on 6 stilts,
    noooooooooo :)

looks like a Blue Peter badge-
    i don't understand why it is on stilts?
    just looks wrong

should have done something like this:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/4567696007_6e94b1dd0c.jpg

except,maybe used a red lead blaa or 'hang sandwich' instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

niallo76 wrote: »
    looks like a Blue Peter badge-
    i don't understand why it is on stilts?
    just looks wrong

should have done something like this:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/4567696007_6e94b1dd0c.jpg

except,maybe used a red lead blaa or 'hang sandwich' instead.

The ship itself is quite nice, but it needs a proper base. It just looks like something temporary unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

7upfree wrote: »
    The ship itself is quite nice, but it needs a proper base. It just looks like something temporary unfortunately.

i agree totally-the scale is just...:confused:

Yep, it looks ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Ledger wrote: »
    That's all well and good.

....until you realise that just about every shop/business needs deliveries. Stock doesn't just appear out of thin air.

Most HGVs , especially the 5 axil ones are not delivering to the city.

Advertisement