Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What kind of lorry delivers to Argos, that's the biggest one I see in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What kind of let delivers to Argos
    Yet haven't seen one on the Quay but remember squeezing past him on the meeting house lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Chiparus wrote: »
    Most HGVs , especially the 5 axil ones are not delivering to the city.

Eh, yes a good few of them probably are, not all obviously but a good few of them.

Articulated lorries that would be delivering to any big shops or chains would be 5 axle minimum.

So please don't try to lecture me on my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

What kind of lorry delivers to Argos, that's the biggest one I see in the town?

Artic which would have at least 5 axles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Most HGVs , especially the 5 axil ones are not delivering to the city.

Loads do. Argos. Dealz. I've seen them queueing up on Exchange Street in the early morning to get into Dunnes with another 2 or 3 parked outside, as well as some others through the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Ledger wrote: »
    Eh, yes a good few of them probably are, not all obviously but a good few of them.

Articulated lorries that would be delivering to any big shops or chains would be 5 axle minimum.

So please don't try to lecture me on my business.

Im not lecturing you on your business, most HGVs on the quays are not delivering to the city center.

I have to pick up the results of HGVs passing through the city. Its my business too.

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/green-route.htm

The circulatory traffic scheme between the roundabouts will eliminate the current dangerous and disruptive right-turning traffic movements out of the side streets and car-parks and will actually improve traffic flows and road safety. It is also our intention that the scheme, while allowing free traffic flow, will calm traffic between the roundabouts and encourage some traffic users to use alternatives such as the Bypass – for example we still have several hundred HGVs transiting through the city centre every day of the week, which have no business in Waterford, contribute nothing to the city when a financially viable alternative exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I have to pick up the results of HGVs passing through the city. Its my business too.

So you work for the Council?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

They were testing a new light sequence on the bridge this morning and the outside lane going up bridge street and turning down Bilberry was completely clear and the inside lane was backed up the dual Carraigeway into Ferrybank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Passed by on da bus today and have to say it looked like a bomb site......why!! cant they finish one or two sections of pathway before moving on to the rest.

6 million dollar man ~ "we have the technology" but not apparently in Waterford.:(

7upfree wrote: »
    So you work for the Council?:confused:

No , emergency services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Passed by on da bus today and have to say it looked like a bomb site......why!! cant they finish one or two sections of pathway before moving on to the rest.

6 million dollar man ~ "we have the technology" but not apparently in Waterford.:(

Thats the way all construction is done, start one, get bit into it, start another bit, its all to do with project planning making best use of resources so they are used most efficiently. You dont want to hire say paving workers for a bit, off hire them and rehire them again when you have more work for them.

I realise the uses of words efficient and planning in previous paragraph may cause raised eyebrows here

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »
    Thats the way all construction is done, start one, get bit into it, start another bit, its all to do with project planning making best use of resources so they are used most efficiently. You dont want to hire say paving workers for a bit, off hire them and rehire them again when you have more work for them.

I realise the uses of words efficient and planning in previous paragraph may cause raised eyebrows here

This actually makes alot of sense, sure it can mean the place can look like a mess abit longer but in reality its much more cost affective

No , emergency services.
    What's your opinion on the way ambulances have become trapped on the Quay?

What's your opinion on the way ambulances have become trapped on the Quay?

Don't think it will be an issue, as there will be a cycle lane for traffic to pull into.

Thats good, I didnt think across from the blue crane car park was wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass, but I take your word for it.

Don't think it will be an issue, as there will be a cycle lane for traffic to pull into.

It's gonna be very tight I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

passed down there at 19:30 last night and 7:30 this morning and they were still working.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Max Powers wrote: »
    passed down there at 19:30 last night and 7:30 this morning and they were still working.

Were working at 10pm one evening on my way home from work. Done that a fair bit over the past few months, which is good I suppose.

<sarcasm>Unbelievable really. They should have stopped work at 5pm, so people could have came on here and had a good moan and bitch about it. :D</sarcasm>

Sully wrote: »
    Were working at 10pm one evening on my way home from work. Done that a fair bit over the past few months, which is good I suppose.

<sarcasm>Unbelievable really. They should have stopped work at 5pm, so people could have came on here and had a good moan and bitch about it. :D</sarcasm>

Pity they didn't try that earlier. Then it wouldn't have turned into the farce that it did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Pity they didn't try that earlier. Then it wouldn't have turned into the farce that it did.

They were working late from pretty early on.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    They were working late from pretty early on.

Maybe. But it doesn't look like it. I hope the council take on board the lessons learned from this debacle really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I emailed this to the council roads department today, regarding several near-misses I've had when crossing the road at the bridge. Hopefully they will take my suggestion on board when implementing the new lights.
    I have a request regarding the traffic lights coming off Rice Bridge onto the Quay. I see that you are currently replacing/upgrading these lights as part of the roadworks on the Quay.

Can I ask that you reprogram the lights so that there is a longer gap between the filter light which allows traffic to turn left off the bridge onto the Quay turning red, and the pedestrian lights turning green. I have had a number of near misses here with traffic continuing to come around the corner after the pedestrian lights have turned green.

Currently, both this filter light and the lights for traffic coming off the quay turn red at the same time. This means that drivers who "chance it" going through the amber light are still turning the corner onto the quay when the pedestrian lights turn green.

I suggest that you reprogram the light sequence so that the filter light turns red perhaps five seconds or so earlier that the lights for traffic coming off the Quay. This should allow sufficient time for traffic turning the corner to clear before the pedestrian lights turn green.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

As the title says ;
    wtf??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Are you sure that's not the island which will have trees on it when it's finished? :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Merging with The new trafic mess on the Quay thread

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not the island which will have trees on it when it's finished? :confused:

Right outside hearnes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Someone should do a compare and contrast video of driving along at night through O'Connell Street in Dublin and along the quay in Waterford and tell me which they feel safer driving through or looks more inviting.

Hopefully after the works are completed things 'might' improve in this regard but I won't hold my breath.

Completely agree about the lights at the Bridge, the lights go red and 3 cars chance it after wards.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

Completely agree about the lights at the Bridge, the lights go red and 3 cars chance it after wards.

maybe they should put an auld camera on the lights and send fines to the idiots that break the lights("chancing it")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Surely this has been suggested somewhere within the last 32 pages but why don't they just put a roundabout at the end of the bridge and be done without all the faffing about with lights and no turn left etc?!

Advertisement